• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Anyone listen to Alesso's new album yet? It's streaming on iTunes but haven't had a chance to check it out yet

Listened to it this morning, thought it was really poor.

The only track that stood out for me was In My Blood (which used to be called something else) but then he went and ruined it by adding vocals. Just like pretty much every track on the album. Which is my biggest problem with the album and most "EDM" albums these days.

Just let the actual music do the talking, there's no need to throw cheesy lyrics over the top of it. Hearing what Axwell /\ Ingrosso have put out so far has made me have no faith in their album, I'm Steve Angello's biggest fan, I have high hopes for his album but I feel like he's going to go down that route as well. Please Pydz save us.

On the bright side everyone should go check out Jeremy Olanders Lo Fi set. It's four hours of pure ear sex.

Laputa_94

Hey do you guys have any suggestions for some older trance labels like Platipus? I have been listening to Art of Trances complete retrospective album and loving it.

Kozak

Banned
Made it to the final 80 contestants of YOUR SHOT DJ competition in NSW. If I win I get to play a set at STEREOSONIC and an overseas festival of their choice! Heaps excited and hoping I can use the journey to land myself a residency!

Looking at new releases, the video for Avicii's Waiting for Love is dope. Amazing track too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ncIVUXZla8

Aomber

Electric Zoo Phase 1

EZoo15Lineup.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
godddd it's so good. i'd put it up there with Confess to Me and Voices. Definitely no Latch or White Noise, but I'm back on the hype train. They also have a countdown on their site counting down 12 days. New album announcement then?

DJ88

Anyone else get this EDM station Evolution(its 93.5 down here in Miami). I think they just changed formats or something. It's still EDM but it's not as good from the little I've listened. They also added a morning show of all things, why the fuk they have one I don't know, I want to listen to the station for music not people talking. It is awful.

Yeah I've been listening to the station since it launched and disagree completely. They did add a morning show which I think is really stupid, but the rest of the lineup is much better and more varied. Before, all 93.5 played was the same ten Top 40 big room house style tracks on repeat the whole day. The one saving grace was Pete Tong and his show on late during certain days. Now they have tons of shows from all kinds of DJs representing all kinds of genres. I'm finally hearing new stuff all the time, and even though it's not always great, I'll take new stuff over the same old stuff any time. They even played samples of every track On PVD's new Politics of Dancing album. The old 93.5 would've never done something like that.

Yesssss. Please release some of the countless IDs he's been playing over the last year or two. I saw him at Ultra this year and the entire set consisted of unreleased tracks except one or two. I need some of those tracks!

Aomber

Not super great quality, but whatcha guys think?

preview: Major Lazer x DJ Snake feat. m0 - lean on (dillon francis x jauz remix)

I think I like it? I'm not a fan of remixes that just totally ditch the melody of the song, but I think I need to hear this at studio quality to really get a feel for it. Dillon and Jauz together seems like a dream team

I know what you mean, I'm generally not the biggest fan of these kind of remixes where the drop seems kinda shoehorned. They work well in a live set but it's not something I'd listen to at home or anything.

My favorite kind of remixes though are the ones that are basically a completely new song. I love that sense of having an entirely different interpretation of the original, and if done correctly, the results can be really great.

Skrillex & The Doors - Breakn' A Sweat (Zedd Remix)

Lorde - Tennis Court (Flume Remix)

oxidax

I've been following Mat Zo's music for a while now but never his twitter until recently. Is the dude always in a 24/7 venting mode? I've been following since Thursday and its been non stop attacks since then. Jeeeez!

L1NETT

I've been following Mat Zo's music for a while now but never his twitter until recently. Is the dude always in a 24/7 venting mode? I've been following since Thursday and its been non stop attacks since then. Jeeeez!

Last few days have been amazing.

Basically blowing the lid off the commercial rotting core of electronic music we all know exists but he's got the balls to tell it like it so clearly is.

Respect him even more now.

Couple of highlights for folk dunnae what we are talking about

Maybe the EDM market should burn and die. Then something good could rise from its ashes

Guys like @skrillex @aboveandbeyond @ericprydz @deadmau5 are some of the only real people who headline festivals

Btw, you know you can pay to headline a festival. Many big names do it to secure the best slots, its about $100,000

For too long these guys have pretended make their own music succeeded and leave us actual producers to struggle

More people should know what these frauds are really thinking

This was gold

.@tiesto once said to me "those trance guys are a bunch of old losers" maybe cus they stuck with their passion and didn't go chasing pussy

Also retweeted this

Like people already knew most of this but Zo is 100% bang on with what he is saying. More people do need to speak out but sadly this behemoth is too big to change now.

EDMsauce did a nice write up http://www.edmsauce.com/2015/05/29/what-mat-zo-really-means/

oxidax

Im just saying because its been 3 days now and hes still going strong. I hope more producers speak out like him. I also wonder how many people will close their doors to him now that he is speaking out like this, which blows.

EDIT: That list Hoolyyy shit!!

cdyhybrid

How is Benno a ghost producer when he gets writing credits and Armin has always mentioned that he helps produce all his tracks?

He has Benno on stage with him when he does Gaia performances even.

Ty4on

How is Benno a ghost producer when he gets writing credits and Armin has always mentioned that he helps produce all his tracks?

He has Benno on stage with him when he does Gaia performances even.
Mat replied to a very similar tweet (about Benno even being listed as a producer):
@MrManny0099 @Kloaked @TheFPIA @KernosT @tstrat1911 I don't see it that way, if you cant make a complete song by yourself, you got 👻s

Aomber

I'm inclined to disagree with Mat about Armin from the conversation I read. That seems like a pretty subjective way of looking at ghosts, there are a lot of guys who have mixing engineers for assistance.

Joachim Garraud hasn't worked for Guetta since like ~2008 either, Giorgio Tuinfort is the guy behind Guetta more recently.

cdyhybrid

Mat replied to a very similar tweet (about Benno even being listed as a producer):
... Are we changing the definition of ghost producer now then?

Because I was under the impression that a ghost producer was someone who never got mentioned unless you dug deep into documentation, not someone who's up on stage at certain points and gets mentioned in interviews.

I get and respect what he's saying, but it's nothing we haven't heard before. Just more Seth Troxler-esque raging against the machine.

Aomber

... Are we changing the definition of ghost producer now then?

Because I was under the impression that a ghost producer was someone who never got mentioned unless you dug deep into documentation, not someone who's up on stage at certain points and gets mentioned in interviews.

I get and respect what he's saying, but it's nothing we haven't heard before. Just more Seth Troxler-esque raging against the machine.

This is more like what Armin does with Benno from what I understand.

Diplo Breaks Down How He Produces

L1NETT

Don't agree at all really

Troxler comes across as super obnoxious and is merely ranting against popular music universally. More underground tech is awesome, EDM n festivals are shitty blargh blargh blah blah

Zo is speaking from what he has experienced of the ways the industry shits all over talented producers and quite detailed criticisms of how fundamentally broken and flawed the business of all this is.

Troxler makes some decent points but this Zo stuff could legit be eye opening to folks who were a tad naive as to how this all goes on.

cdyhybrid

Don't agree at all really

Troxler comes across as super obnoxious and is merely ranting against popular music universally. More underground tech is awesome, EDM n festivals are shitty blargh blargh blah blah

Zo is speaking from what he has experienced of the ways the industry shits all over talented producers and quite detailed criticisms of how fundamentally broken and flawed the business of all this is.

Troxler makes some decent points but this Zo stuff could legit be eye opening to folks who were a tad naive as to how this all goes on.
That happens in every corner of the music industry though :p Not saying he shouldn't be upset about it, but anyone who follows music somewhat closely knows that this sort of thing happens all the time.

It may be an eye opener for those who don't, though, like you said.

I've always interpret a ghost producer as someone who does all the work behind the scene so the artist can get all the credit. Like 0 credit what so ever.

This kind of reminds me when Mike Epps called out Kevin Hart for not having original ideas for his comedy. Kevin Hart basically rips him and was like "no shit, I have friends I work with friends. Sometimes my friends give me ideas and I expand on it. And I give them credit."

If an artist is giving their producers/team credit I don't see a problem. It should be a process making music not one man slaving away. You take what you can from where you can mix it together and create magic.

Aomber

I've always interpret a ghost producer as someone who does all the work behind the scene so the artist can get all the credit. Like 0 credit what so ever.

This kind of reminds me when Mike Epps called out Kevin Hart for not having original ideas for his comedy. Kevin Hart basically rips him and was like "no shit, I have friends I work with friends. Sometimes my friends give me ideas and I expand on it. And I give them credit."

If an artist is giving their producers/team credit I don't see a problem. It should be a process making music not one man slaving away. You take what you can from where you can mix it together and create magic.
I think people have this idea that electronic musicians should do 100% of the work. There are guys who do that but there's nothing wrong with making it a collaborative effort – that happens all the time.

Like you wouldn't hear someone ripping Pharrell for having mixing engineers, lol.

What I do think is wrong is when dudes flat out buy a track or some shit. That's just wrong.

I think people have this idea that electronic musicians should do 100% of the work. There are guys who do that but there's nothing wrong with making it a collaborative effort – that happens all the time.

Like you wouldn't hear someone ripping Pharrell for having mixing engineers, lol.

What I do think is wrong is when dudes flat out buy a track or some shit. That's just wrong.

That makes no sense though. A DJ and a producer are two different things. In Vietnam they just had a show called the Remix. It's like dancing with the stars mix with music. Instead of pairing up a dancer and a celebrity, they pair up a pop singer, producer, and a DJ. Then every week they have a theme (house, dubstup, trance etc..), but the point is they went out of their way to separate DJ's and producer. About half of the DJ's they picked for the show are also producer in their every day life, and the other half are just pretty much club DJ's (they don't make music).

But my point is I don't think a lot of people realize that DJ's and producer are two different things. Some DJ's double as producer and DJ, and some don't.

Kozak

Banned
I think a ghost producer should always be defined as someone who makes the whole track but is given no credit.

I agree with Aomber.

Ferr986

Damn, Benno producing for Dimitri Vegas or DBBVS? Was that known?

Anyways, not trying to sound as an Armin defender but I agree with cdyhybrid, Benno has always been credited and even he's on the floor in a Gaia act (a project that was started without Benno at first).

I miss old Armin sound though, just look at the new Gouryella by Ferry Corsten, 100% old System F sound.

Aomber

That makes no sense though. A DJ and a producer are two different things. In Vietnam they just had a show called the Remix. It's like dancing with the stars mix with music. Instead of pairing up a dancer and a celebrity, they pair up a pop singer, producer, and a DJ. Then every week they have a theme (house, dubstup, trance etc..), but the point is they went out of their way to separate DJ's and producer. About half of the DJ's they picked for the show are also producer in their every day life, and the other half are just pretty much club DJ's (they don't make music).

But my point is I don't think a lot of people realize that DJ's and producer are two different things. Some DJ's double as producer and DJ, and some don't.

You're right, they are different. But the thing is that in 2015, the talent (largely speaking) is in production, not DJing.

A competition isn't really comparable to how most DJs actually DJ in 2015, because in that kind of competition, they're showcasing certain skills. A-Trak came up on DJ competitions, and he's known to be a super talented DJ, there's no question about that (mind you, he's a very talented producer too :p)

But look at the list of guys above. How many of those guys are crazy DJs? Are they realistically showcasing the same skills when they DJ at a festival or in a club? Probably not.

That's always been the problem with ghost producing, for me anyway. A lot of these guys DJ at a level where it's not really a talent. We see this all the time too – young producers who are just producers randomly get thrown onto a mainstage with a pair of CDJs when they've barely DJed in their lives. And they can do it, because it's fundamentally not that difficult for what the audience expects.

When you consider the little skill it really takes to DJ in many cases, and then consider that some of these guys are just buying tracks, it turns into a game of "rich dads making their kids famous". If they're not making their own music, what are they really doing?

I emphasize, this isn't me discrediting the talented DJs out there, and there are guys who know how to weave together a really good set. And of course, some are worse than others in this subject.

L1NETT

So Hudson Mohawke's new album is easily album of the year so far (although Griz runs it close)

So. Fucking. Good. Really honed his sound but remains undoubtedly Hud Mo. Doesn't lean into the hip-hop stuff as much as I expected, and not every vocal hits but the orchestral stuff is a great twist.

Also https://play.spotify.com/album/7F6n2BH3iUAOlq6WQupFV5 (warning spotify link) Kolsch released his new album 1983 kinda outta no where. Listening to it now, really good stuff. Think Pryda but leaning heavily into the techno side

And Golden Features continues to churn out the freshest Deep House for a good while

no-one-ft-thelma-plum

cdyhybrid

So Hudson Mohwake's new album is easily album of the year so far (although Griz runs it close)

So. Fucking. Good. Really honed his sound but remains undoubtedly Hud Mo. Doesn't lean into the hip-hop stuff as much as I expected, and not every vocal hits but the orchestral stuff is a great twist.

Also https://play.spotify.com/album/7F6n2BH3iUAOlq6WQupFV5 (warning spotify link) Kolsch released his new album 1983 kinda outta no where. Listening to it now, really good stuff. Think Pryda but leaning heavily into the techno side

And Golden Features continue churn out the freshest Deep House for a good while

no-one-ft-thelma-plum

Cool, I've been wanting to check out HudMo's album.

Also Pryda + techno sounds right up my alley.

Ahh so looking forward to his EDC set, been trying to see him literally four times now or something and missed him every time lmao

He's the one guy I am seeing no matter what. I'll leave my entire group if I have to.

Cool, I've been wanting to check out HudMo's album.

Also Pryda + techno sounds right up my alley.

He's the one guy I am seeing no matter what. I'll leave my entire group if I have to.

Lol leave your group and you wont see them again for the rest of the night. 150k ppl is impossible to find anyone.

Sai-kun

Banned
So Hudson Mohawke's new album is easily album of the year so far (although Griz runs it close)

And Golden Features continues to churn out the freshest Deep House for a good while

no-one-ft-thelma-plum

Yessssss new Golden Features! Awesome! loved Baxter to pieces.

Also agreed on HudMo. I think my top three tracks are System, Deepspace, and Lil Djembe. The whole album is so fucking great though. The latter half especially.

edit: finally listened to that Golden Features track. goddamn, that slays!

Top Bottom