• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Just got back from Burning Man. What a great time, as always.

Of course, this year everyone knew that Jack U would be there doing announced and unannounced sets. I was fortunate to see them three times. First, we heard a rumor that they would be at the Bounce art car, somewhere in the inner playa. So we found the Bounce car and joined the huge crowd that was forming. Carl Cox was playing and so we jumped on board to dance our asses off and view the crowd. Then Diplo came on and we pretty much lost it.

Next day, I let my girl ride the go kart with her friend over to a salsa party, and a few mins later she came tearing back to camp saying she saw a sign that Skrillex was playing at the Duck Pond in 30 mins, and the sign specifically said "No Bullshit!". They had just posted it on their board. So she picks me up in the go kart and we go over to the Duck Pond and are right up front here:

tumblr_nu6rk3ENsS1rwnv1zo1_500.jpg

Of course, Camp Questionmark was dropping 20 of the PK Sound subs and pretty much killing it. Jack U showed up there Thurs night along with the rest of Burning Man and so we went to the back and enjoyed our space. The front was a packed madhouse. Still sounded great from the back.

The next night we went back to Questionmark and saw a Tokimonsta trap show with plenty of room to dance. She was playing a lot of songs from my recent favorites so it was great. Saw a couple of other DJ's too but didn't really pay much attention.

And there is so much more to tell but for now I have to go. Can't wait til next year!

Aomber

What's everyones opinion about Monstercat? Do you like it or dislike it? Just curious.
For me it's like a lot of labels, hit or miss, just depends on the artist. Sometimes there's some great stuff (like what I posted above), sometimes not so much with a bit of lack of polish.

Just got back from Burning Man. What a great time, as always.
Sounds like it's a great time, I'm always tempted to go but it's always at a bad time of the year for me and I don't have the kinda time to take that sort of time off.

Aomber

I glanced over this the first time I saw it but realized shortly after what this was about.

Disclosure had a hand in writing the new Bond theme. Fucking badass.

DQLNNKc.png

Aomber

If you know you're absolutely going to EDC LV 2016, buy your tickets now. There's a new tax hike in the state of Nevada for music festivals, but if you buy them before October 1st you can avoid that.

Glad I did it this year because I wouldn't buy festival tickets this early for June of next year, and with the tax, that's a bit too high for it to be worth it for me with it already being as expensive as it is. And you know they'll be making up the tax costs by upping the cost of food, drinks, etc.

Aomber

I'll probably do the payment plan so it's not too bad.

Keep an eye out for that – I don't know what the plan is yet but I know they're changing that too because a lot of people didn't make their payments on time at last minute. They ended up releasing thousands of tickets right before the festival began.

So tickets for EDc Vegas is going on sale on the 21st less then two weeks guys for the early bird special and that's before tickets get jacked up so much.

mr stroke

tyQmYhO.png

Might be the first year I skip in a long time. Super short sets, generally same DJ's, expensive, and hot as hell. Thinking Electric forest or Paradiso instead.

must resist, must resist, must resist....

cdyhybrid

Might be the first year I skip in a long time. Super short sets, generally same DJ's, expensive, and hot as hell. Thinking Electric forest or Paradiso instead.

must resist, must resist, must resist....

I'd never discourage someone from checking out Paradiso, if only because The Gorge is fucking amazing. But it's hot as hell there too :p

Jarnet87

EDC Orlando has some of the best weather for a festival. Orlando in November gets pretty cold so at night its in the 50s and 60s. Ultra can be hit or miss, Miami in March can be hot as fuck or actually nice outside.

I'd never discourage someone from checking out Paradiso, if only because The Gorge is fucking amazing. But it's hot as hell there too :p

Paradiso this year was literally hell on earth during the day. I wouldn't wish that even on Pats fan! But once the sun went down it was as beautiful as ever.

cdyhybrid

Keep an eye out for that – I don't know what the plan is yet but I know they're changing that too because a lot of people didn't make their payments on time at last minute. They ended up releasing thousands of tickets right before the festival began.

I'm looking at the website right now. Looks like they're going to avoid that by having the payment plans end in January. Starts this month, last monthly payment is in January. That way if anyone drops their tickets, they have plenty of time to sell them.

AFwGCJW.png

Cant be hotter than EDC ?

It was 101 at midnight last year... :\

It was about 100-105 in the day. The thing about EDC is that... you're in your hotel during the day with AC. Paradiso you're in the sun camping in the 100+ heat! However around 7-8 PM that's when it gets good.

Since you never been to Paradiso I think you should go over EDC just because it's a new experience and you get to visit the gorge, but it's a lot smaller, a lot less stage (only 3), and it's a camping festival.

Aomber

Of all the EDM festivals I've been to in NA I'd easily recommend TomorrowWorld over any of them, it's got the same level of organization and quality control of Tomorrowland. For me it blew the socks off EDC. While EDC had some unique and cool artists that TW definitely doesn't get, I feel like the experience is arguably more important if you're gonna do one major festival in a year. 21+, more intimate stages, camping, better food and beer, better overall organization and transport, etc.

Can't say I've been to Paradiso (yet), that looks like fun

Aomber

Just came to post this – I already heard it but it was from a meh rip of a podcast or something

The Zo never disappoints :D that said I still prefer the original, it has a certain uniqueness to it invoking a charmy cuteness but also an emotional aggressive side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCXP5KopAnY

BBC documentary about Guetta's early work in Ibiza.

Pretty cool insight
This was pretty cool, I'm not really a fan of current Guetta but I can respect this because he was the shit back in the mid 2000s and earlier. Made me wanna go to Ibiza even more.

I miss this kinda thing, one of the first videos I saw where I got really hooked on dance music.

David Guetta & Joachim Garraud au RedLight fevrier 2005

11986552_1061223067229439_7646815917155217159_n.jpg

Not really a big fan of Knife Party but apparantly their last Halloween show at the Warehouse Project was insane, may have to give a go this year

mr stroke

It was about 100-105 in the day. The thing about EDC is that... you're in your hotel during the day with AC. Paradiso you're in the sun camping in the 100+ heat! However around 7-8 PM that's when it gets good.

Since you never been to Paradiso I think you should go over EDC just because it's a new experience and you get to visit the gorge, but it's a lot smaller, a lot less stage (only 3), and it's a camping festival.

Ouch. Is camping mandatory or can you hotel it and shuttle/uber in?

cdyhybrid

It's kinda in the middle of nowhere. The vast majority of people camp. There is a regular, non-camping parking lot (that you can't stay overnight in), so I assume there are places outside the campgrounds to stay. Those will be few and far between and will go very quickly, though.

There are like hotels/motels kind of near it, but majority of people camp. There also different types of camping such as general (the shitty shitshow for 18 year olds and 24/7 madness), premier/gold (older crowd and much better overall like real showers and toilets!), then Terrance (smaller and quieter area for larger groups).

Paradiso itself usually opens like around 2 PM, but with lines ans shit that's like anywhere from an hour to even more to get in.

What's a good big festival to go to if I've never been to one? EDC, Ultra, Tomorrowworld/land, or Electric Zoo? My friends and I are deciding to go to one for our first time next year.

If only the Twin Cities had a bigger EDM scene we would get more mini EDM events here :( or I just haven't looked hard enough.

What's a good big festival to go to if I've never been to one? EDC, Ultra, Tomorrowworld/land, or Electric Zoo? My friends and I are deciding to go to one for our first time next year.

If only the Twin Cities had a bigger EDM scene we would get more mini EDM events here :( or I just haven't looked hard enough.

Tomorrow World is cool in fact that's it's a big festival + it's a camping one. If you want to go bond with your friends that's a good one, and it's a huge place. Also it got some great reviews from people on here. My friend went the first year and said it was pretty meh but I guess times have change it's been a few years since.

Ultra is the big boy of the EC. Obviously you probably already know it's in Miami, and bring the big time celebrities. Miami weather can be pretty unpredictable so sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not.

EDC is the big boy of the WC. Expect a bunch of lights and shit when you first walk into what feels like a zoo for humans. Some drawbacks can be the shuttle times, and how far away it is from the strip (lots of traffic to get there).

Aomber

If Tomorrowland is an option financially, its by far better than any EDM festival here. TomorrowWorld is a blast too. EDC is decent but not a personal favorite, however the lineup is amazing and they get some pretty unique artists. Ultra I've heard mixed things about. Ezoo I heard was good this year.

For Tomorrowland though be prepared because the tickets can be tricky to get

Hm.... Okay, I'll share these information with my buddies.

Another thing, how much are drink prices? Usual bar prices or a little bit pricier? Should we pre-drink, sneak in clear or dark liquor, wait for after-parties, etc.? We know that for some of these festivals staying hydrated will be the number one priority.

How do you guys and girls prepare? Should we eat a little bit before raging or a lot? Obviously when we get there we won't always be prepared but knowing some stuff ahead of time will make things easier.

Aomber

Hm.... Okay, I'll share these information with my buddies.

Another thing, how much are drink prices? Usual bar prices or a little bit pricier? Should we pre-drink, sneak in clear or dark liquor, wait for after-parties, etc.? We know that for some of these festivals staying hydrated will be the number one priority.

How do you guys and girls prepare? Should we eat a little bit before raging or a lot? Obviously when we get there we won't always be prepared but knowing some stuff ahead of time will make things easier.
It depends. At Tomorrowland it's usually about 3-5 euros for a drink. Edc and tomorrowworld it's more like 9-12 dollars. I should add, I haven't been to Ultra but you mentioned interest in it, so you should know it's easily the most expensive all around. Ticket prices and hotels are very high all weekend.

As for staying hydrated, buy a camelbak. If you don't know what that is basically it's like a small backpack that you can carry a good amount of water in and just drink it from a tube while you wear it. There's always water stations around the festival sites for you to fill up.

Definitely eat, pacing yourself and keeping your energy level good for the whole weekend is vital. Don't go super hard the first night otherwise you'll be burned out

Have you considered Burning Man? Not strictly an EDM festival, but you will get plenty of EDM, along with all of the other cool stuff, and it's an experience you WILL NEVER FORGET. The community is more welcoming than any place I have ever been in my life. It's a much bigger commitment than any of the other festivals though.

Oh and if you are concerned about drink prices, you will pay exactly $0 for unlimited drinks. There are "bars" all over the place that just give away free alcohol.

L1NETT

In better album news, Oliver are making one

can guarantee you zero Hardwell

Oh and Nero's comes out tomorrow (or today wherever you are in the world).

Sai-kun

Banned
Nero's album is ACE, for real!

Also holy shit, that new Disclosure is slick as hell. Lion Babe has such a good voice! This is the first track from Caracal that I've actually enjoyed the whole way through.

Top Bottom