• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

There's got to be a straight download link out there somewhere

I definitely recommend it. Pretty sure he plays the same sets all around. The vibe was great too, everyone looked like they were having the time of their lives.

edit: found a torrent someone uploaded on /r/zedd of his whole live stream

Yeah I've seen Zedd three times haha, I always love his shows. But yeah I'm thinking this one will be great cause Madeon, Alex Metric, and AlunaGeorge are openers, plus whichever secret guest is that night

L1NETT

best remix of the yearrrrrrr

The Weekend - The Hills (RL Grime Remix)

iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

Anth0ny

I saw the stream and was not impressed.

Then I saw him live the next day and was blown away :) Was a great show and set by him. Plus Steve Angello came out for a guest performance.

Anybody have a link to a video of his stream?

nice! I'm seeing Disclosure and Zedd next month in Toronto... can't wait :)

Ixian

Yeah I've seen Zedd three times haha, I always love his shows. But yeah I'm thinking this one will be great cause Madeon, Alex Metric, and AlunaGeorge are openers, plus whichever secret guest is that night
We had Alex Metric here (San Diego), I thought his set didn't really set a good tone for the rest of the show. It wasn't bad per se, just mellow. Thankfully Audien came on afterward and saved the day.

Aomber

We had Alex Metric here (San Diego), I thought his set didn't really set a good tone for the rest of the show. It wasn't bad per se, just mellow. Thankfully Audien came on afterward and saved the day.

That tells me his opening set was good in that case. An opening set should be mellow and set the mood for the more exciting stuff afterwards

Well, I'm not going to make it to Beyond Wonderland Bay Area this weekend. Tix are $200 for 2 days, no 1 day option, and I couldn't get any friends to pony up.

However, I just discovered the Safe in Sound tour, coming to San Jose in a month. Got tix. These are some of my favorite dubstep/trap DJ's right now. Zomboy has been my favorite for years and I have never seen him live so I am super stoked to be going. PK sound too, which is my favorite sound system.

IMG_7647.JPG

Sai-kun

Banned
time to dig into this disclosure album...forgive my mini wall of shitty review text. ratings are all at the bottom if you don't wanna read words

Nocturnal - The second half of this song kinda goes in. Chill as fuck. A real summer jam, I'm surprised they didn't release it earlier. B.

Omen - snooze zzz. C-

Holding On - its fine. C

Hourglass - Yaassss, Lion Babe! I really, really like this song. I feel like a VIP of this song would kill in a club. A-.

Willing & Able - This song is just too slow and aimless for me. D. I don't understand how this song feels so slow when...

Magnets - This song rules! Lorde's voice fits in perfectly with Disclosure's sound, and the snare rim hits give it a really funky rhythm. This one is a solid 10 BPM slower than WIlling & Able but feels much tighter and is definitely more dancey. A.

Jaded - this is horrible disclosure should refrain from singing again im not even rating this

Good Intentions - this is putting me to sleep. C-.

Superego - what has happened to disclosure? the vocals are decent on this, but i swear the production sounds the same as like 4 other songs on the album. C.

Echoes - Holy shit. Here they are. This is a fucking BOP, to steal some popGAF lingo. I guess they can keep singing if it's like this. Solid A.

Masterpiece - Another slow jam, but it's not as unbearable as Willing & Able was IMO. C-.

Molecules - So disco! Despite only being 108 BPM, the singing is good here, the production is solid, and it's a head bobber for sure. Would love to hear this one live. B+!

Moving Mountains - I was kind of mixed on this song but the last 2 minutes took it from C territory to a solid B or B+. Vocals a little lackluster but damn the production is gooooddddd. I'm gonna say B.

Afterthought - Not a bad closer, but being so low tempo really seals in how different the vibe of this album is. Reminds me of a slightly sped up Defeated No More. C+

so in closing:
B / C- / C / A- / D / A / awful as fuck / C- / C / A / C- / B+ / B / C+

i'm pretty disappointed that a majority of the album is sub 120 BPM. I know I definitely have a specific idea for what I like to hear from Disclosure, and they're gonna do them which is fine, I just don't think this comes even CLOSE to Settle. Of course, I didn't really expect it to match or surpass Settle, but I didn't expect it to fall this far short either, considering the list of superstars they had coming to bat for them.

Oh I almost forgot:

Bang That - listen to the song Skream made by the same name instead it's way better

Aomber

I wanna listen to the Disclosure album but I got an ear infection, the doctor prescribed me drops, which I don't think are working so I've discontinued usage after getting a second doctor's opinion, but now my ear is clogged from the drops, so... Not much I can do right now :(

I might. I fear they're going to keep jumping around every 15 minutes instead of letting a groove build up though.

Hah, you know they will! Here's a producer playing a good song, let us switch to another stage shall we? *head stops moving to the song

Edit: so.... uh..... Why is DVBBS on the mainstage? Their music is.... Garbage? Is that the right word? I mean, it's cool that they interact with the crowd alot but.... their music selection so far has been garbage lol

Ixian

Hard to get into streams since any bit of lag kills the momentum. :/ On the bright side, going to see Adventure Club / 3LAU and others tonight, then driving up to NorCal for Beyond Bay area this weekend. So much fun!

Aomber

Well my ear's still fucked but I took the opportunity to listen to the full Disclosure album from start to finish.

Without going into what each song was about, I can sum up this album pretty easily. Let's just say there weren't any songs I particularly disliked – I liked all of them frankly, some a little more than others. But there's an unfortunate reason why I liked all of the songs – that being they were so similar.

Seems like they just rolled with a couple ideas with different chord progressions and singers. I was going to say this before when I heard the minimix but it didn't really feel like a Disclosure album. It felt like a compilation album of different singers who happened to have similar productions. What I mean is like, take the Lorde song for example – you could imagine that being on the Lorde album very easily. Same could be said about the Sam Smith song. It didn't feel like the album had enough identity to it where it felt like it was Disclosure's album first and foremost, whereas Settle managed to capture that a lot better.

I will say this – it's very good for background music, I enjoy just having it in the background, but that's also why it's a bit disappointing for me. I don't feel like Disclosure should just be "background music". I understand they wanna move away from anything related to "EDM" and move more towards Pop, and I do really love Pop music as well, but they could have executed it a little better in my opinion. The collaborations were somewhat of a missed opportunity, they're merely "solid" but not "amazing".

In summary, I enjoy the album, but it's not what I'd have expected and slightly disappointing. Album of the year still very easily goes to Madeon's Adventure for me personally.

Sai-kun

Banned
Major Lazer went the fuck off last night. Hadn't seen them since their tour in 2013, it was great. They played all their new shit, with some VIP versions of Light It Up, Blaze Up The Fire, Powerful, Night Riders. They also played an awesome mashup of A-Trak's Heads Will Roll remix and Roll the Bass.

I was happy that so much of the show consisted of their original tracks.

Aomber

I'm not gonna lie that's made TW pretty off putting after saying great things about it, sounds like terrible management

chris121580

I'm not sure why Disclosure's new album is getting so many negative reviews. I think it's fantastic and a great follow up to their debut

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm not sure why Disclosure's new album is getting so many negative reviews. I think it's fantastic and a great follow up to their debut

I dislike it for the reason Aomber seems to like it: it's all very samey, and hardly any of the songs seem to have their own melodic identity.

Aomber

I dislike it for the reason Aomber seems to like it: it's all very samey, and hardly any of the songs seem to have their own melodic identity.

I think you may have misunderstood me the first time. I completely agree with you, the songs all sound too similar, like they just rolled with a couple ideas and used them with a bunch of different singers they collabed with. What I meant was the album is consistent for me in that I don't dislike any of the songs, I just like some slightly more than others. But that's my problem with it, I don't really dislike any of the songs because they're all so similar, I feel like they could have done more with the fantastic artists featured on this album. Like I said, it's pretty good background music but that's definitely not what I'd hope from Disclosure.

I gotta agree about the harmonic and melodic aspects of the album as well, in the sense that, yes they're jazzy and interesting for this medium of music, but it isn't interesting when the same ideas are used repetitively. The Pitchfork review summed it up beautifully. I'll leave the quote below, but it feels like the album is kinda too serious, like they wanted to really make a statement with their music. The implication was there in interviews and it really does show. Take a duo like Daft Punk for example and they weren't afraid to just get cheesy and "fun" with their music. I feel like that was more present in Settle and it's one of the things that made me love Disclosure in the first place.

ANYWAY, still excited for their performance at MSG late October, should be sweet

Pitchfork Review said:
When Disclosure’s hype was at its peak circa Settle, they were often compared to turn-of-the-century acts like Basement Jaxx and Daft Punk—acts who successfully recontextualized older house and disco influences into something reverent and contemporary. But a significant part of both groups’ appeal—and, crucially, part of the outright critical revulsion at the time, too—was their lack of self-seriousness, their willingness to get a little cheesy. Those guys’ nostalgia embraced the kitsch along with the classicism; they had fun. The Lawrence brothers have good taste, sharp instincts, and pristine craftsmanship: playfulness, not so much. Even the album’s most unbuttoned track falls flat: "Bang That", a (relatively) raunchy promotional single now relegated to the bonus tracks with a gratuitous sample of 313 Bass Mechanics’ "Pass Out", feels a bit cringey, like Kidz Bop does ghetto house. Ultimately, Caracal just doesn’t feel much fun, and even its highs are nowhere near Settle’s polished bliss. Once trendsetters, here the Lawrence brothers too often fade noncommittally into white noise.

Aomber

So I know this isn't headphone GAF but what do you guys use to listen to your music? Figured I'd share that I'm getting these babies for my portable listening needs, should be arriving tomorrow. They're the Beyerdynamic T51i's, definitely on the pricier side for their form factor (dat German engineering) but if it wasn't evident already I do love music :D. The ear infection has put me off in-ears for the foreseeable future that's why I opted for an on-ear.

Usually I use my Dynaudio studio monitor speakers, Audio Technica M50s, or Bose in-ears.

mr stroke

So I know this isn't headphone GAF but what do you guys use to listen to your music? Figured I'd share that I'm getting these babies for my portable listening needs, should be arriving tomorrow. They're the Beyerdynamic T51i's, definitely on the pricier side for their form factor (dat German engineering) but if it wasn't evident already I do love music :D. The ear infection has put me off in-ears for the foreseeable future that's why I opted for an on-ear.

Usually I use my Dynaudio studio monitor speakers, Audio Technica M50s, or Bose in-ears.

Denon AHD2000's

&

just got these-

SONY MDR-XB90EX
UtI4vyG.jpg

Nothing will touch them for EDM. Its like 2 subs in your ear. Even my other over ear headphones can't touch these IEM's for bass

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I use the Klipsch R6i for my general everyday use:

R6i_635272899428670000_medium.jpg

I also have a pair of Denon AH-D2000 that I would use more often if it wasn't so damn big:

denon2000-display.jpg

Aomber

Just to follow up got these today and they are indeed excellent, really enjoying them :D

Yikes, I mean it is google translate so we can't be 100% sure but that's balls if it's completely accurate.

To be honest the next festival I do will probably be non EDM, something like Roo or Lolla perhaps. I haven't really been too fond of the EDM ones lately especially since it seems like they're just trying to cash in before the bubble bursts.

Top Bottom