• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

To be honest the next festival I do will probably be non EDM, something like Roo or Lolla perhaps. I haven't really been too fond of the EDM ones lately especially since it seems like they're just trying to cash in before the bubble bursts.

I feel like that's almost everybody. I've seen so many commercials on DirecTV channels that features Dance music. All the major American beer companies had commercials with EDM, car commercials, cellphone carriers, etc.

I don't think anything bad will happen to TW per se but I feel as though they need a new location. Their current location has unpredictable weather and that's bad for people who didn't camp. For sure it will have a bad reputation now, at least in the US. I like it only for the fact that it's the only festival EDM-wise in the US to be 21+.

Aomber

This is more like the ID&T that I know. Official statement from TomorrowWorld's FB page

Friends,

We understand and hear your frustrations and disappointments in the developments at TomorrowWorld over the last weekend.

Our only goal was to create together with you the best weekend of the year, and we are heartbroken that we were not able to provide some of our precious fans with the full TomorrowWorld experience, which includes the complete journey to and from the festival.

The combination of your positive energy and our hard work did not shine through and we completely understand your dissatisfaction. TomorrowWorld was also let down by a number of external factors which did not allow us to provide you with the full experience you deserve. We realize we can’t turn back time and make it perfect, but for those who wish to, we are here to communicate directly and listen to all your personal stories, frustrations and questions.

welisten@tomorrowworld.com

You are the true People of Tomorrow and deserve all the respect in the world. As a part of this, the refund policy is active here:

http://www.tomorrowworld.com/refund-policy

TomorrowWorld

I feel like that's almost everybody. I've seen so many commercials on DirecTV channels that features Dance music. All the major American beer companies had commercials with EDM, car commercials, cellphone carriers, etc.

I don't think anything bad will happen to TW per se but I feel as though they need a new location. Their current location has unpredictable weather and that's bad for people who didn't camp. For sure it will have a bad reputation now, at least in the US. I like it only for the fact that it's the only festival EDM-wise in the US to be 21+.

ESPN and sports have like EDM right before commercial breaks for their basketball, and football games too now.

I know bud light and 7up do shit here in the U.S, and I know Heineken is pairing up with EDM festival in Asia. That bubble keeps growing....

It is great that so many more people like myself have been introduced to EDM though.

I really do hope EDM stays relevant and not fade into nothingness. I think as long as we have all these festivals, the internet, nerd culture, and videogames the EDM culture/scene won't go anywhere soon at least not in the rest of the world. The US will always be changing in terms of music trends and fads though so I'm not sure how long EDM will last in the US.

cdyhybrid

It won't go away, it's gotten too big to go away completely. I could see festivals declining and the return of the focus to the club, though.

Aomber

I don't think "electronic music" will go away any time soon, or EDM for that matter. Just what it means and what is hot will change and evolve in time.

I mean there's been many popular EDM artists far before the whole thing blew up

Aomber

Oh damn this is the best thing I've heard from Avicii in a good while. It's definitely NOT edm but man it is so good. Even if I don't always like all his songs I gotta admire his willingness to experiment and change things up

Avicii - Ten More Days

Not sure if legit or not but so predictable.

DJ-Mag-Top-100-2015.jpg

Kozak

Banned
Theres something off with that list..

The top 10 is probably going to be pretty accurate but I can't shake this feeling that its fake.

Yeah Daft Punk being on there and being so high seems off. Don't get me wrong they're great DJ's (Alive 2007 is probably my favourite set of all time) but they've definitely not been out there on social media begging for votes and the people this poll is aimed at probably don't care about them at all.

L1NETT

baahahah hope its real

bar a few names a real whos who of the desperate and untalented.

shows that shitshow for the PR marketing fest everyone knows it is

like what sentient human being would vote for Afrojack in anything

Aomber

Yeah Daft Punk being on there and being so high seems off. Don't get me wrong they're great DJ's (Alive 2007 is probably my favourite set of all time) but they've definitely not been out there on social media begging for votes and the people this poll is aimed at probably don't care about them at all.

Actually they ranked 43 last year so that wouldn't surprise me at all. But that's the DJMag list for you :p

I saw Carl Cox, Tritonal, Vicetone, Deorro, Laidback Luke, and The Chainsmokers. I'm happy as long as these dudes are ranked lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top 10 was accurate though.

mr stroke

It is great that so many more people like myself have been introduced to EDM though.

I really do hope EDM stays relevant and not fade into nothingness.

Never gonna happen
I've been through the previous dip in the early 2000's(Massive raves every weekend, kids OD and burn out and BAM every massive rave died, you went from 100+ Raves a year in San Francisco to about 3 or 4) and the same thing will happen again sooner or later.
-All the kids that go for the "Molly" and don't give a fuck about the music will burn out and the scene will contract again. Only the main stay festivals will survive(Ultra Miami, EDC Vegas, Coachella, Lallapaloza, etc.) all the others will die off. Rinse and repeat

Aomber

Wow Moog unveiled a new semi-modular synth but is discontinuing the Voyager. That's crazy, it's such an iconic synth =(

Also a really interesting interview with Trent Reznor

https://www.facebook.com/moogmusicinc/posts/10153596812770102

Also, unfortunately, I wanted to buy last minute tickets but Zedd in New York isn't gonna work out. I just have a bunch of career and school related things this weekend and honestly I just have to think about that stuff first – I'm in my last year and don't wanna mess anything up. Really bums me out because the show sounds like it's gonna be awesome but it is what it is, always another time

Ixian

Galantis and Kaskade killed it at the San Diego stop on his Automatic tour last night. Not a fan of the venue though since it meant our group of friends got separated due to arriving at different times. :( We're also going to the SF stop this coming weekend, will be interesting to see how it differs.

Aomber

Listened to Avicii's Stories album. Actually pretty solid overall, some really great tracks, however there are definitely a few misses. But I can definitely admire his drive to experiment and take risks even if it doesn't always work imo. Like at this point he's really established himself as a musician and artist, not just an "EDM" producer and DJ. Notable tracks for me are True Believer, Ten More Days, Waiting For Love, Gonna Love Ya, and Touch Me.

ONE THING THOUGH – I gotta point out a big sore thumb in this album. There is one song where he flat out re-used a melody he's used in a previous track that he's released. What's funny is it sounds better in the older track than the new one too (the new one being Sunset Jesus)

Avicii - Sunset Jesus (FF 1:05)

Avicii - Dear Boy (Avicii by Avicii Remix) (FF 1:40)

Kozak

Banned
Yeah he's done that a couple times.

I think it was Speed for the Lotus team and Canyons from True that shared a melody.

Avicii's new album is dope. Avicii is an inspirational figure for me so I may just be stanning but damn man the dude kills the music game. I think he'll do even bigger things in the future but sometimes I worry for his health hey...

City Lights tho. Been waiting for that song since I heard it during his True tour in Sydney. Right in my feels.

DToneli

Neo Member
Listened to Avicii's Stories album. Actually pretty solid overall, some really great tracks, however there are definitely a few misses. But I can definitely admire his drive to experiment and take risks even if it doesn't always work imo. Like at this point he's really established himself as a musician and artist, not just an "EDM" producer and DJ. Notable tracks for me are True Believer, Ten More Days, Waiting For Love, Gonna Love Ya, and Touch Me.

ONE THING THOUGH – I gotta point out a big sore thumb in this album. There is one song where he flat out re-used a melody he's used in a previous track that he's released. What's funny is it sounds better in the older track than the new one too (the new one being Sunset Jesus)

Avicii - Sunset Jesus (FF 1:05)

Avicii - Dear Boy (Avicii by Avicii Remix) (FF 1:40)

I also realised that, it feels like it is a melody he has been working with for many years and I like the previous version better. I agree with your list of notable tracks, but I also really enjoyed Somewhere in Stockholm and City Lights. The thing with Somewhere in Stockholm, for me, is the Instrumental appeal that usually gets my attention when used in EDM tracks.

L1NETT

So much great fucking music coming out soon

1- Kill The Noise - Occult Classic (out 9th Oct)

2- Mano Le Tough - Trails [Tech House/Caribou inflected kinda]. So glad to see Mano using his voice more, this song is so good. Full album out on the 30th.

3-Maceo Plex 2015 Boiler Room Full album 'Solar' out this month.

oh yes

So I've been listening to other genres and subgenres.... Hardstyle is something alright. Pretty bonkers tbh. Only been listening to one mix and one track from Hard Driver and a few tracks from Coone.

Been doing alot more listening for Trap also. Haven't found a artist I like yet tho.

Kozak

Banned
So I've been listening to other genres and subgenres.... Hardstyle is something alright. Pretty bonkers tbh. Only been listening to one mix and one track from Hard Driver and a few tracks from Coone.

Been doing alot more listening for Trap also. Haven't found a artist I like yet tho.

Check these out:

Wasted Penguinz - Melancholia

Brennan Heart & Wildstylez - Lose my mind

Fedde Le Grand & Nicky Romero ft. Matthew Koma - Sparks (Turn Off Your Mind) Atmozfears & Audiotricz Remix

3 of my all time favourites.

Trap is my jam. Here's a few songs to get you started:

Newer trap (2014-2015)

Ragga Bomb remix (Zomboy remix Skrillex)

Beast in the Belly

Out the Speakers

Freak

Party Pooper

"Classic" trap (2012-2013, real classic trap is from the hood, eg, Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy, etc):

The Drop

Harlem Shake

I'd also recommend YellowClaw.

Aomber

So I go to college at Syracuse and was heading home for the weekend to Boston, decided to stop at Amherst last night to see Zedd at UMass since it's directly on the way to Boston anyway. Absolutely fantastic show from start to finish – great openers and Zedd himself put on a great show as always. Go see him if he's coming near you.

Also bumped into fellow GAFer Rukes, I was just standing around early on in the show and he happened to stand right next to me. Was a pleasure meeting him :)

cdyhybrid

So I go to college at Syracuse and was heading home for the weekend to Boston, decided to stop at Amherst last night to see Zedd at UMass since it's directly on the way to Boston anyway. Absolutely fantastic show from start to finish – great openers and Zedd himself put on a great show as always. Go see him if he's coming near you.

Also bumped into fellow GAFer Rukes, I was just standing around early on in the show and he happened to stand right next to me. Was a pleasure meeting him :)

Did you tell him you post on GAF? :p

And yeah, Zedd has been great every time I've seen him.

Aomber

Did you tell him you post on GAF? :p

And yeah, Zedd has been great every time I've seen him.

Of course haha

Yeah one thing I love about his shows too is the whole night is consistently great between his shows and the openers. UMass knows how to have a good time too, the crowd was fucking awesome. When Zedd came to Syracuse (last year) the crowd wasn't as hot because generally speaking they're more into hip hop and such, and that night was also more of a "mini festival" with artists from completely different genres.

Aomber

I'll check these these out too. Listened to Yellow Claw and I need to listen to more of his tracks first.

I wouldn't really consider this "trap" per-se but definitely check out Flume, really fantastic

Lorde - Tennis Court (Flume Remix)

Disclosure - You & Me (Flume Remix)

Flume - "Some Minds (feat. Andrew Wyatt)"

As for Trap specifically an obvious answer is of course some Jack U and Major Lazer

Skrillex And Diplo - To Ü (Feat. AlunaGeorge)

Major Lazer - Blaze Up The Fire (feat. Chronixx) (Official Lyric Video)

Aomber

Kaskade tonight! Also the grand re-opening weekend of the club, seeing A-Trak there on Saturday.
That should be fun, I want to see Kaskade in NYC but unfortunately he's playing the same night as Disclosure :\ no biggie I've seen him a couple times now.

I still gotta see A-Trak – it's crazy I haven't still. I actually went to see him at the light in Vegas but I was still really jet lagged that day and went home before he went on cause he wasn't gonna be on until like 3:30 am since Baauer came on first.

EDIT: Speaking of which has anyone listened to Kaskade's Automatic album yet? I haven't gotten around to it, may do that before I head to bed tonight.

Top Bottom