• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

Tideas said:
Yes. Twilight Princess. I agreeded with the Gamespot review, but knowing EGM gave it all 10s...heh,

oh ok, well heh:

Twilight Princess: EGM avg 10, Gamespot 8.8

so maybe..

Lair: EGM avg 5.5, Gamespot 4.8-5.0

Wollan

Agent Icebeezy said:
Everybody says that, but so many people around me want to get Bioshock and will. I think the numbers will surprise people.

Agreed. Bioshock will go on to sell at least 1.5m on the X360 alone this year I bet.
This was last years big E3 winner and is still high this year, people want quality games.

Tobor

Wollan said:
Agreed. Bioshock will go on to sell at least 1.5m on the X360 alone this year I bet.
This was last years big E3 winner and is still high this year, people want quality games.

Are they doing a demo for Bioshock? That would put it over the top, IMO.

fernoca

Tideas said:
Well, I meant at least a million, and that's worldwide, not US. I'm not arrogant like that
5xf8v2q.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wollan said:

It's true. Quality FPS + HardcoreBox = Sucess.

Sean

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
in terms of sales i think Bioshock might make you suicidal :(

I think Bioshock will do quite well.

It sounds like there will be a pre-release demo which will help a lot, and it seems like the game actually is living up to all the hype. Take-Two seems to be doing a fairly good job at marketing the game too, there is a lot of movies and media out there for it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tobor said:

No. I really don't know how well it will do, but it IS more of a shooter than previous games.

It just seems like the type of game where you're going to want to have a working knowledge of Ayn Rand and objectivism to get the most out of it. I think people are going to see commentary on aesthetics scrawled onto walls and just be like wtf.

But by that point they've already paid for it.

The BIG problem with Bioshock, IMO, and expectations with the Xbox Live community is that 1) it's a shooter and 2) it has no multiplayer. Look at what the Darkness had to do.

edit: No is what I THINK i remember reading.

traveler

Not Wario
sprocket said:
You guys trust game reviews too much .. I bet you I will have a blast with both Blue Dragon and lair.

Games are crafted as pieces of entertainment. As such, I am sure you will have fun with both of those titles. The decision, however, is not simply "will I have fun with this title?"- it is an evaluation of alternatives and, in this particular case, I feel that other games coming this fall will entertain me to a higher degree than both Lair and Blue Dragon.

Wollan

Tobor said:

I think they are better off waiting a month after release before doing a demo. It should take some time getting into this game and word of mouth is probably a stronger sale argument to begin with than a 'slow' demo.

Sypher

Banned
I want to give LAIR the benefit of the doubt. I played it not too long ago and was ready to break the controller at how hard it was to maneuver. Also everything was covered in vasaline.

I'll wait for more reviews since EGM is kinda scrapping the barrel with its scores these days.

Sean

Banned
Tobor said:

Seems like it:

According to the latest list of age ratings to be published by Germany’s USK board, a demo of Irrational's Bioshock is due for imminent release.

Unsurprisingly, the demo has been rated 18 by the board, although its entry on the official USK website doesn't specify when we'll be seeing it on the Marketplace.

http://360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=1285

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Y2Kev said:
No. I really don't know how well it will do, but it IS more of a shooter than previous games.

It just seems like the type of game where you're going to want to have a working knowledge of Ayn Rand and objectivism to get the most out of it. I think people are going to see commentary on aesthetics scrawled onto walls and just be like wtf.

The BIG problem with Bioshock, IMO, and expectations with the Xbox Live community is that 1) it's a shooter and 2) it has no multiplayer. Look at what the Darkness had to do.

two cerebral first person games in one month. whoda thunk it

Endymion

Superb graphics were almost making me consider buying this when buying a PS3, but, if other reviews prove EGM right, looks like a no go.

A useless message to Factor 5: for the love of what you care most, if you want to make a GOOD new Turrican on PS3, plaese, *please* call Manfred Trenz back on board. Please.

fernoca

traveler said:
Games are crafted as pieces of entertainment. As such, I am sure you will have fun with both of those titles. The decision, however, is not simply "will I have fun with this title?"- it is an evaluation of alternatives and, in this particular case, I feel that other games coming this fall will entertain me to a higher degree than both Lair and Blue Dragon.
Hmm..but what if every game from this Fall get the same scores...which games are you going to buy?

P209

Yep I'm still going to enjoy Blue Dragon and Lair :D I trust my own opinion over people that can't go through a podcast or EGM show without swearing. Professionalism fails repeatedly when it comes to EGM and 1up.

USD

sprocket said:
You guys trust game reviews too much .. I bet you I will have a blast with both Blue Dragon and lair.
Reviews aren't god, but I'd much rather buy the better game, (though my particular interest or disinterest in certain genres and emphasis on high replay value definitely play their parts). I'll buy Persona 3 before I buy Blue Dragon.

Tobor

Y2Kev said:

Good points. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

traveler

Not Wario
fernoca said:
Hmm..but what if every game from this Fall get the same scores...which games are you going to buy?

This is totally a "what if" scenario, but I would obviously either (a) save my money for a better year, or (b) buy those titles that appealed to me most on a conceptual basis. I sincerely doubt, however, that we are approaching such a season. (Given the imminent advent of Metroid, Bioshock, Halo 3, GTAIV, CoD4, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc.)

Edit: P209 is totally right. Those EGMers, what with their curse words of theirs, have no freakin' clue as to what they're doing.

Y2Kev said:

The lack of multiplayer hurts the game and it very well might cost it Game of the Year if it ends up delivering. I also think that a lot of people are expecting it to be like most shooters, but the left of center story and character design reminds me of Psychonauts (which was a failure). Let's see if people can appreciate it. I have a bad feeling that quite a bit of people are going to play it for 30 minutes, will lament the lack of killing, and will try to turn it back in for store credit.

Brak

traveler said:
sigh.

5 is AVERAGE.
How is 5 average when that is the worst score given in this set of reviews. They have just declared Lair to be the worst game being released out of all of these games.

By EGM's own review scores there are probably a hundred games released this year that have scored better than Lair. How the **** is 5 average then?

Eh, I think I'm still going to get Lair. Every time I pick up a game EGM reviews well, I end up not liking it and the games they don't like, I actually like a lot. Go figure.

Quazar

Crazy review scores, but I've never put faith in EGM reviews, so they mean nothing to me. Cant wait to see what L5 announces.

fernoca

traveler said:
This is totally a "what if" scenario, but I would obviously either (a) save my money for a better year, or (b) buy those titles that appealed to me most on a conceptual basis. I sincerely doubt, however, that we are approaching such a season. (Given the imminent advent of Metroid, Bioshock, Halo 3, GTAIV, CoD4, Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc.)
That's the thing... ;)
Most of my favorites games are games that are either universally panned by reviewers and/or gamers...P.N.03..Mortal Kombat...among some others..

The key is not buying every game you like, but just buying the ones that you really want....gut feeling as some people say....because in the end, those reviewers are not going to give you a refund if you buy and hate a game that they said it was "perfect: 10"..

Brak said:
How is 5 average when that is the worst score given in this set of reviews. They have just declared Lair to be the worst game being released out of all of these games.

By EGM's own review scores there are probably a hundred games released this year that have scored better than Lair. How the **** is 5 average then?

You don't make any sense. The scale is 0 to 10. 5 being what we refer to as average.

gbovo

Proelite said:
Idk, but I think EGM is going to 8.5 Halo 3 ever since they grossly overrated Gears of War. They're out to compensate. Publishers! Hide your triple-AAA exclusives! :lol Btw, this means Heavenly Sword 8.0 tops. Mass Effect. 6.5.
lol....no

traveler

Not Wario
Brak said:

I always viewed the term "average," at least when looked at in a critical space, to mean average in quality, possessing neither highly good qualities nor extremely detrimental ones, and not in the since that the game is representative of most games. (In other words, the game is neither good nor bad, it lies in between.) Admittedly, this may make it something of a misnomer, but my point stands: 5.0 does NOT indicate that the game is bad. It simply means that Lair doesn't sit on either side of the quality scale.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you guys are idiots- 5 is average. if you like a the past coupla years (and I have a bunch of EGM mags) basically half the games are below 5 and half above. end of story.

rakka

traveler said:
I always viewed the term "average," at least when looked at in a critical space, to mean average in quality, possessing neither highly good qualities nor extremely detrimental ones, and not in the since that the game is representative of most games. (In other words, the game is neither good nor bad, it lies in between.) Admittedly, this may make it something of a misnomer, but my point stands: 5.0 does NOT indicate that the game is bad. It simply means that Lair doesn't sit on either side of the quality scale.

So my spongebob squarepants games are average now?

GhaleonQ

Now that the most substantial whining/jeering is out of the way, would you mind just posting the most substantial good and bad points made about Luminous Arc? I was promised a religion story with a Lunar twist, and the import previews and reviews seemed to support that it would be a 7-or-up game. What happened?

mollipen

manxor said:
Have you played Sonic?? ...and Play gave GTA:SA a 7.5! (Xbox, US Mag never reviewed PS2 version?)

I'm going to have this engraved on my tombstone: SOMEBODY at Play gave those games those scores, not Play as a whole. Just because you don't like the opinion of one or two people at a certain publication, don't write the entire thing off.

Sypher

Banned
AstroLad said:
you guys are idiots- 5 is average. if you like a the past coupla years (and I have a bunch of EGM mags) basically half the games are below 5 and half above. end of story.

*SLAP*

Wollan

Halo 3 will probably be the best in the series. People have 'lowered' their expectations after the second game. The feature set Halo 3 is flagging with is incredible. There's so many aspects you can spend tons of hours doing be that co-op, Forge, movie recording/sharing, heaps of multiplayer modes and customization..etc. Halo 3 seems to me to be a very 'Blizzard' esque product in that they don't necessarily have the the greatest graphics technology but it's expressive and cool looking with a ton of features and dripping with gameplay. All that combined with some teary singleplayer moments and riverdance music should put it over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom