• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecco

shidoshi said:
It's like writing off the DS because there are a decent amount of "non-games," and you don't like non-games. Don't write off Play (or any other mag) just because you don't agree with a particular writer's reviews. That's all I ask.

How bout if we dont agree with a particular Editor in Chiefs views instead?

shidoshi said:
And that's exactly what I'm arguing every time I bring this up. I'm not saying any of the staff are wrong in their opinions, because we each have differening opinions on games, but with Play, or with any magazine, you shouldn't just lump all of the writers together as one big whole.

It's like writing off the DS because there are a decent amount of "non-games," and you don't like non-games. Don't write off Play (or any other mag) just because you don't agree with a particular writer's reviews. That's all I ask.

I was just giving you a hard time earlier with my comment. From what I have seen of your magazine and site... you guys seem to do a very good job... and I actually do enjoy reading your reviews regardless of the scores you guys give.

I think you guys would be smart though to go to like a 5 star rating system... or something more basic.

Wollan

That Play reviewer has a good track record though. Someone posted his reviewing history and it seemed very okay with no blunders.

sad for lair, blimb hinted @ the blue-dragon score.... but in other words, why the hell do they score everything so low? yes thay have this thing '5 is average' but why? everyone else on earth, including school sees '7' as average, how does it make your website/magazine better? I don't understand.

coldvein

Banned
Scottlarock said:
sad for lair, blimb hinted @ the blue-dragon score.... but in other words, why the hell do they score everything so low? yes thay have this thing '5 is average' but why? everyone else on earth, including school sees '7' as average, how does it make your website/magazine better? I don't understand.

i think its just like, you know like, scientific reasoning.. on a scale of 1 to 10, 5 is average. or maybe they call it the mean. or median, or mode, or some shit i forget

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
**** blue dragon and lair, this about Persona 3. PS2 wins flawless victory.

buy p3

Sony Fanboy: "The underwhelming Lair review was kind of expected, but I didn't think Blue Dragon would fare so poorly (i.e., what a blow to Xbox!)"

MS Fanboy: "The underwhelming Blue Dragon review was kind of expected, but I didn't think Lair would fare so poorly (i.e., what a blow to PS3!)"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wollan said:
HaloDance.jpg

:lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
professor_t said:
Sony Fanboy: "The underwhelming Lair review was kind of expected, but I didn't think Blue Dragon would fare so poorly (i.e., what a blow to Xbox!)"

MS Fanboy: "The underwhelming Blue Dragon review was kind of expected, but I didn't think Lair would fare so poorly (i.e., what a blow to PS3!)"

Wii Fanboy: "I don't like soccer at all, but I am buying Mario Strikers anyway."

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ouch at Lair. Will still rent it and play the hell out of it. Yay for Persona 3. Flawless victory.

professor_t said:

Feel free to paint it with whatever brush you'd like, but those reviews have two decidedly different sets of problems with each game. I don't think one's sensitivity to one over the other (problems, I mean) has anything to do with brand loyalty.

B-Ri

Karma Kramer said:
I am heavily disappointed with the Blue Dragon review... but I heard my wallet take a big sigh of relief a moment ago.

the demo was really painful. It was a big dissapointment cause after i got the 360 i said hey i guess now i can get blue dragon, so much for that.

beelzebozo said:
rumors:
- next james bond game will use call of duty 4 engine

Give the whole project to infinity ward. Bond needs some real respect . . . EA held the license for years and never produced a great bond game . . . . a few good ones, mostly average/OK ones . . . and some clunkers like the incredibly disrespectfully named Goldeneye: Rogue Agent.

I doubt Lair getting as hated on by other publications. Factor5 is a good team and the graphics looks phenomenal, that's usually enough to warrant an 8.0 from IGN and a 9.0 from teamxbox.

All Those Level 5 RPGs are coming to the wii/DS

and it better be or we will pull our support for all their games including the professor

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I don't think Lair would be affected by this review too much. I agree with those that think it will sell 1m (lifetime).

Speevy

Banned
underfooter said:
I doubt Lair getting as hated on by other publications. Factor5 is a good team and the graphics looks phenomenal, that's usually enough to warrant an 8.0 from IGN and a 9.0 from teamxbox.

IGN Xbox maybe.

medrew

Tideas said:
Interesting. Wel, in any case, final score is an 8.5 :D

Yeah, great a magazine that goes and amends their inflated scores instead of sticking to the shame they pulled.
Such an act brings on a degree of mistrust and skulduggery for said reviewer and by association the magazine at large.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
shidoshi said:
Don't write off Play (or any other mag) just because you don't agree with a particular writer's reviews. That's all I ask.

You're right. We should write off the mag because of the views of most your writers. Sonic 360 is just a single review in a collection of reviews we can't trust. Like Monster Madness, or Fight Club.

Seriously though, I don't want to write off your mag but your review history has lent itself to me not trusting the scores from your publication.

Tideas

Banned
medrew said:
Yeah, great a magazine that goes and amends their inflated scores instead of sticking to the shame they pulled.
Such an act brings on a degree of mistrust and skulduggery for said reviewer and by association the magazine at large.

At least a different guy reviewed Lair.

I don't get why people are putting so much stock into the BD review. If you played the demo it's pretty obvious what the game is and what you should expect from it. Not to mention the games been out almost a year now.

Also looking at these stupid scores just makes me wish a thumbs up/down system was more common. How is anyone supposed to know what a 6.0 or a 7.5 mean? Even negative reviews spend alot of time praising what's done right. There should be a simple, clear method of indicating whether or not the reviewer recommends it.

Tiktaalik

- level 5 is going to announce 4 new rpgs at tokyo game show
yay
- squeenix to start remaking dragon quest games starting with dq4 on ds
Awesome!!!!Awesome!!!!Awesome!!!!
- microsoft is funnelling all the best 360 parts to the elite model, which is why lower models crap out more
Don't believe it.
- next def jam game will be better than icon. ea knows it sucked
Wouldn't any publisher say their next game will be better?
- next james bond game will use call of duty 4 engine
Obvious?

chriskun

P209 said:
Yep I'm still going to enjoy Blue Dragon and Lair :D I trust my own opinion over people that can't go through a podcast or EGM show without swearing. Professionalism fails repeatedly when it comes to EGM and 1up.

haha, it sounds like this guy was crying while he typed this:lol meltdown confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom