• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
fernoca said:
That's the thing... ;)
Most of my favorites games are games that are either universally panned by reviewers and/or gamers...P.N.03..Mortal Kombat...among some others..

The key is not buying every game you like, but just buying the ones that you really want....gut feeling as some people say....because in the end, those reviewers are not going to give you a refund if you buy and hate a game that they said it was "perfect: 10"..

Eh, "gut feeling" has turned me down more wrong paths than reviewers have. The fact is, intuition, or what-have-you, is based more often on marketing tools and carefully controlled previews than anything else and reviews are based on, well, the finished copy of the game. Given the significant differences between the two, I do not understand why I would follow the former over the latter.

Besides, your whole point was based on an entirely hypothetical (and, with almost all certainty, unlikely) situation. :D

AZ Greg

AstroLad said:
you guys are idiots- 5 is average. if you like a the past coupla years (and I have a bunch of EGM mags) basically half the games are below 5 and half above. end of story.

:lol

rakka

shidoshi said:
I'm going to have this engraved on my tombstone: SOMEBODY at Play gave those games those scores, not Play as a whole. Just because you don't like the opinion of one or two people at a certain publication, don't write the entire thing off.

You post this a lot. :)

you guys are idiots- 5 is average. if you like a the past coupla years (and I have a bunch of EGM mags) basically half the games are below 5 and half above. end of story.

•_•

sphinx

the piano man
Bearillusion said:
You don't make any sense. The scale is 0 to 10. 5 being what we refer to as average.

that's delusional.

if you have read EGM reviews in the past, you'll know that a game with the score of Lair is a bad game, not abysmal, but bad. "AVERAGE" according to EGM is exactly what mario strikers got, a triple 7.5, that's average.

Lair is one of the games that is supposed to breathe life into PS3's existence. Lair being declared a bad gme is bad news for PS3, anyway you look at it.

Wollan said:
Halo 3 will probably be the best in the series. People have 'lowered' their expectations after the second game. The feature set Halo 3 is flagging with is incredible. There's so many aspects you can spend tons of hours doing be that co-op, Forge, movie recording/sharing, heaps of multiplayer modes and customization..etc. Halo 3 seems to me to be a very 'Blizzard' esque product in that they don't necessarily have the the greatest graphics technology but it's expressive and cool looking with a ton of features and dripping with gameplay. All that combined with some teary singleplayer moments and riverdance music should put it over the top.

Excellent post Wollan.. I look forward to playing with you this September :)

traveler

Not Wario
rakka said:
You post this a lot.

As he should. People take up this incorrect line of reasoning over and over again on GAF and they would do well to see the error in it.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with me? I posted a post along very similar lines earlier in this thread.

Wollan

sphinx said:
Lair is one of the games that is supposed to breathe life into PS3's existence. Lair being declared a bad gme is bad news for PS3, anyway you look at it.

PS3 lift off delayed two weeks to the 28th.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I was afraid that Factor 5 just let only their technical abilities shine in light of other things, really no analogy control to be had, who's bright idea was this?! But now Blue Dragon's score too....that's a sucker punch following Lair's slap in the face showing for me. :|

Blue Dragon's though seems more like just a love tap for not "breaking new ground". It's a "safe" game with kick ass battle system. Okay. The LAIR review makes it sound broken. The Blue Dragon review just makes it sound predictable.

Wollan said:
PS3 lift off delayed two weeks to the 28th.

That's Blue Dragon's release date. That's when NA Next Gen gets its Final Fantasy VII....

:)lol )

Sypher

Banned
Wollan said:
Halo 3 will probably be the best in the series. People have 'lowered' their expectations after the second game. The feature set Halo 3 is flagging with is incredible. There's so many aspects you can spend tons of hours doing be that co-op, Forge, movie recording/sharing, heaps of multiplayer modes and customization..etc. Halo 3 seems to me to be a very 'Blizzard' esque product in that they don't necessarily have the the greatest graphics technology but it's expressive and cool looking with a ton of features and dripping with gameplay. All that combined with some teary singleplayer moments and riverdance music should put it over the top.

i hate you

I'm still going to check out Blue Dragon and Lair. I think I will like them and I typically don't put all of my faith in reviews like the majority of gamers. Everyone said BulletWitch was the worst game of the next generation and perhaps one of the worst of all time, yet for some strange reason I loved it.

Hey did someone in here say Play magazine? The same magazine that gave SONIC on the 360! a 9.5!

HAHAHAA :lol HAHAHA

That magazine is funny man... its just crazy.

Tideas

Banned
sphinx said:
that's delusional.

Yes. Cuz EGM is god in its almighty opinionated power.

manxor

shidoshi said:
I'm going to have this engraved on my tombstone: SOMEBODY at Play gave those games those scores, not Play as a whole. Just because you don't like the opinion of one or two people at a certain publication, don't write the entire thing off.
I don't, I've picked up quite a few issues of Play over the past year. However, when it comes to review scores and consistency, Play gets a larger grain of salt from me.

I'm curious how Blue Dragon is going to get leveraged now with the price drop. Are they going to market it like hardcore, now that the system is a fraction more accessible? I mean, a traditional and gorgeous JRPG could do really nicely if pushed the right way. August could now end up being a surprisingly huge month for 360 with that and Bioshock. It could be their The Simpsons Movie...

But, you know, smaller.

rakka

Karma Kramer said:
Hey did someone in here say Play magazine? The same magazine that gave SONIC on the 360! a 9.5!

HAHAHAA :lol HAHAHA

That magazine is funny man... its just crazy.

Cruel :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Blue Dragon's though seems more like just a love tap for not "breaking new ground". It's a "safe" game with kick ass battle system. Okay. The LAIR review makes it sound broken. The Blue Dragon review just makes it sound predictable.

That's Blue Dragon's release date. That's when NA Next Gen gets its Final Fantasy VII....

:)lol )

Whew, if "too safe" is all that is, I'm still eager for Blue Dragon.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
to Play's defense, it depends on who writes the reviews but I guess no one gives a shit about that.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Whew, if "too safe" is all that is, I'm still eager for Blue Dragon.

That's what I'm saying. The review recap doesn't make it sound bad, just "unoriginal". The LAIR review doesn't sound the same at all.

Teen Ape

Either way you try to spin what a 5 means, this multi-million dollar budget, oft previewed game should not have been "average" by any definition of the term, considering its place as a PS3 exclusive, with awesome bullet points such as 1080p native and Sixaxis control. This game really needed to come together well, because this displays that even with a TON of development time(nearly 3 years on PS3) and money, and using console specific aspects of the hardware to tout your game (sixaxis/1080p) the game still fell short of the press' expectations and needed more work/gameplay tuning.

Hopefully other PS3 exclusives dont fall into the same arena that Lair has given the attention the games gotten and how it all turned out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wollan said:

I am telling Marty what you said about Riverdance. And yes, he does know who you are.

Seth C

My desire for Blue Dragon ended the moment I played the demo. Wow, was that ever boring. Lair looks pretty but I never expected it to be very good.

Wollan

HaloDance.jpg

LordK

'eh... Enchanted Arms got crappy reviews and I'm somehow enjoying it. I don't know why. Regardless I never cared for Lair or Blue Dragon(well okay, I do somewhat) anyways :p

beelzebozo said:
september 2007 egm review scores. it's the issue with all the halo 3 info:

lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
crispin says the combat system is confusing, and the sixaxis controls don't always work the way they should. lock-on system is also jacked.
greg ford says the camera is frustrating in ground combat. the wide open levels hold a lot of potential but ultimately don't deliver
garnett says it's a "frustrating disappointment" with a few bright spots

Wow that's a disappointment, I had High hopes for this game. I guess I shouldn't have considering Factor 5 always seems to make great looking games that don't play all that well :/

gljvd

Banned
ouch for blue dragon and lair .

Sony really needed lair to be big and get people to jump in , it seems like they need to wait for HS to do that

Blue dragon. Ouch , I'm sure mistwalker and ms needed this to sell big.

Most likely both these titles will sell well though.

MS gamers need a decent jrpg and blue dragon is one of them.

Sony gamers just need more games and lair is going to be pushed big time

senahorse

As much as I was looking forward to Lair and Blue Dragon it is kind of a relief if they bomb, means August wont' be so harsh on the wallet. Bioshock and Warhawk it is :D

Mifune

Mehmber
Too bad about Lair. And I'd love to say, "eh it's EGM" but that's three people saying it's mediocre.

But didn't they hate Kameo? That's still one of my favorite 360 games.

senahorse

Mifune said:
Too bad about Lair. And I'd love to say, "eh it's EGM" but that's three people saying it's mediocre.

But didn't they hate Kameo? That's still one of my favorite 360 games.

I am in that exclusive club as well, here's hoping we see a sequel one day.

Tideas

Banned
I just realized. Why is everyone dissing Play? The guy who reviewed Sonic wasn't the guy that reviewed Lair.

Doesn't that just entirely make "Play" joke?

And besides the ugy that review Sonic for the PS3 gave it a 5.5

mollipen

Error said:
to Play's defense, it depends on who writes the reviews but I guess no one gives a shit about that.

And that's exactly what I'm arguing every time I bring this up. I'm not saying any of the staff are wrong in their opinions, because we each have differening opinions on games, but with Play, or with any magazine, you shouldn't just lump all of the writers together as one big whole.

It's like writing off the DS because there are a decent amount of "non-games," and you don't like non-games. Don't write off Play (or any other mag) just because you don't agree with a particular writer's reviews. That's all I ask.

Jammy

Banned
I'm glad at the Mario Strikers Charged scores. The game seems to be getting between 7.5s and 8.5s from most places. I really enjoyed the first game and I'm sure I'll have even more fun with this game, seeing as how it's better in almost every aspect.

WickedLaharl said:
SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOU

Perhaps. I'm a sucker for shooters I guess. I also loved Enchanted Arms despite its lackluster reviews. I do wonder about how well Blue Dragon is going to sell since from what I've seen, it seems like JRPG's typically bomb in the US that aren't well-known franchises.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
shidoshi said:
Don't write off Play (or any other mag) just because you don't agree with a particular writer's reviews. That's all I ask.

But they gave Sonic 360 a 9.5, dude :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
neojubei said:
I think sony needs more RPGs especially in Japan, so this is good. Maybe they are working overtime like Mistwalker.

Dragon quest 4 on the DS does not shock me.

microsoft better not, unless they want to replace all units with Elites.

And those are the rumors i care about....

Who says those Factor 5 RPG's will be on a Sony console? They could just as easily go on Nintendo and MS.

Especially considering the massive success of their first self published game for the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom