• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Jintor

If the IGN reviewer didn't grok the combat system, which is admittedly awkward, and wasn't a fan of the completely batshit insane storytelling, I can see a 5.

duffyside said:
Who was the reviewer? I know it's easy for me to check, but I don't like giving IGN hits.
Colin Moriarty. Weird, he's usually one of the only reviewers at IGN that I like.

El Shaddai seems very interesting but I can't decide if I should buy it now or wait until next year when the fall/winter dust settles...

SamuraiX-

Where the fuck did this game come from?

Seriously, I feel like I've just been blindsided. Just watched the GameTrailers review of and it I'm absolutely blown away.

The game is just oozing with beautiful art design and refreshing gameplay.

I'm picking it up if I ever find it for $40 in the next few months. Gotta try to save up for the Fall Armageddon. lol

chris121580 said:
Picked this up for 40 bucks at Frys. What a steal. Can't wait to dig into this tonight

omnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Just bought one myself. Came out to $45.20 after tax but whatever. :p

This is seriously probably the biggest impulse buy I've ever done in my life. lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Heading to the store to nab this and NMH Paradise. Still can't seem to decide which version to get, but I'm really leaning towards the PS3 for the better performance. The actual visuals are such a toss-up... the 360 version is too dark to show detail in some shots, but looks slightly better in others. Aliasing seems worse on the PS3 at times, and worse on the 360 in other shots. But the PS3 version definitely runs better.

bryehn

Just went through the first hour. What an oddball of a game. The way things are stitched together is a bit jarring and the combat is unbelievably shallow so far, but it sure is purdy. Unique experience thus far and the subject matter is keeping me interested.

Game just arrived. Won't play it until after the Sony conference is over but I just want to say that it's so nice to open a game case and see a large full-color game manual these days. This and Catherine being the most recent for me. <3

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How does the framerate hold up in the full game? The demo was a reasonably solid 60 fps, but I fear it will drop significantly in more complex scenes.

Reveirg

I wasn't planning on picking it up despite the game looking very interesting... but the wait for Xenoblade is too hard and I actually have a few days off work this week. I'm going to pick it up later today!

PooBone

Got this game coming to me from Gamefly. I really didn't know anything about it until I listened to Shane on Weekend Confirmed. The game sounds really interesting. Any idea how long it is?

PooBone said:
Got this game coming to me from Gamefly. I really didn't know anything about it until I listened to Shane on Weekend Confirmed. The game sounds really interesting. Any idea how long it is?
I've played the Japanese version, so, skipping cut-scenes that my extremely limited knowledge of that language wouldnt allow me to enjoy led me to around an 13 or so hour experience (some of the boss fights were a pain in the ass and added to padded time)

AngryMoth

I usually don't go for this kind of game but Shane has definitely peeked my interet. Looking forward to reading some impressions

Anyone take Fry's up on the 40 dollar price? I'll probably only have time for one more game before the semester starts, and I can't decide between this and Catharine.

Or I could skip both and just play DQ5/9.

I happened to be near Fry's this morning, so I picked up the game for $39.99. Played through the first two chapters this morning. I like the aesthetic and find the one-button combat kind of nice.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
SamuraiX- said:
Where the fuck did this game come from?

Seriously, I feel like I've just been blindsided. Just watched the GameTrailers review of and it I'm absolutely blown away.

The game is just oozing with beautiful art design and refreshing gameplay.

I hear you. Saw the review just now. Was wondering how something like this had passed under my radar. Perhaps that the name sounds like an anime show for kids or something, even though I know it's not. Will buy when it gets released in euroland.

My copy at AxelMusic is still a pre-order too. Damnit, the game is out today! Are Canadians always this lax?! This shit wouldn't roll in the UK; ShopTo delivers my order one day, sometimes two, prior to the date of release. I is mad as hell.

So the framerate fluctuates between 60fps and 30fps? For anyone who's played it, can you say how the platforming handles, on scale of 1-10, 10 being Mario Glaxay and 1 being Nier?

Corto

ironcreed said:
8 at Gamespot. I fear this unique gem is going to be criminally overlooked. Despite the fact that outside of IGN, it is scoring great everywhere. You would think that something so fresh and outside of the box would be embraced more.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...haddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-video-review

Zero marketing, zero public awareness. I give it to them that it is an horribly difficult game to market but some little effort would be welcomed...

Himself

PairOfFilthySocks said:
So the framerate fluctuates between 60fps and 30fps? For anyone who's played it, can you say how the platforming handles, on scale of 1-10, 10 being Mario Glaxay and 1 being Nier?

Haha.

From the demo, I'd say a 7? Above LittleBigPlanet, but below Ratchet & Clank.

Teknoman

PairOfFilthySocks said:

Platforming from only what i've played in the demo would be an 8? Its got some pretty unique situations to platform jump around. As far as the framerate goes, I think it's been said the PS3 is consistently 60, while the 360 has a few drops here and there, but is mostly 60.

Cutscenes always seem to be 30 regardless unless i'm remembering wrong.

Yuterald

I put about 2 hours into the game this afternoon and I'm really digging it so far. The visuals are crazy-town! The music is amazing and just the overall feel of the game is surreal. I'm still early in the game and while the combat is simple they have thrown a variety of new enemy types in my way.

The game has perfect guards, dashing, and counters, that's enough for me. As I have said before, I don't need this game to be as deep as a DMC game or Bayonetta. The game just feels old school. I really like how falling into puts actually damages you too. I got a game over by a miscalculated jump because my health was low. I could see this game getting pretty tricky on higher difficulties.

Also, this game is about a tower. A tower full of angels that rejected God. That's so fucking awesome. The concept and how they represent each angel/section of the tower between chapters is awesome.

ironcreed

Banned
Yuterald said:
I put about 2 hours into the game this afternoon and I'm really digging it so far. The visuals are crazy-town! The music is amazing and just the overall feel of the game is surreal. I'm still early in the game and while the combat is simple they have thrown a variety of new enemy types in my way.

The game has perfect guards, dashing, and counters, that's enough for me. As I have said before, I don't need this game to be as deep as a DMC game or Bayonetta. The game just feels old school. I really like how falling into puts actually damages you too. I got a game over by a miscalculated jump because my health was low. I could see this game getting pretty tricky on higher difficulties.

Also, this game is about a tower. A tower full of angels that rejected God. That's so fucking awesome. The concept and how they represent each angel/section of the tower between chapters is awesome.

Sounds excellent, thank you. Cannot until my copy from Gamefly arrives.

White Man

I'm worried that this will be too shallow. There's no character advancement or customization, right?

I liked the demo, but I really don't know whether the combat could keep me interested. I'll toss it in after I finish Bastion tonight.

White Man said:
I'm worried that this will be too shallow. There's no character advancement or customization, right?

I liked the demo, but I really don't know whether the combat could keep me interested. I'll toss it in after I finish Bastion tonight.

I have the same concern. Report back, so I can decide if I'm playing this or Catherine.

bryehn

White Man said:

No customization at all. I'm a good 3 hours in at this point and though the combat doesn't change, enemies and bosses are starting to require some strategy and weapon-switching.

Chapter 4 was cool. I was worried it would be run, fight, run fight the whole time, but it's getting better. The presentation is lovely overall and I really like your "partner" that's talking to God on his phone and acts as save points.

Also, the manual shows results screens at the end of chapters, but I haven't seen any in-game at all. Wonder why they took it out.

Gigglepoo

bryehn said:
Also, the manual shows results screens at the end of chapters, but I haven't seen any in-game at all. Wonder why they took it out.

That screen only pops up in the score attack mode you unlock after finishing the game.

Man, I've been so back and forth on this game. It was orgasmic the first time I saw it awhile ago, then I was completely turned off by the demo, and now the reviews sort of have me interested again. Given its obscureness, I doubt any of my friends or my local library will get it, so not sure if I'll have a chance to try it out. I should really invest in gamefly one of these days...

dark10x said:
How does the framerate hold up in the full game? The demo was a reasonably solid 60 fps, but I fear it will drop significantly in more complex scenes.

I can only speak for the first hour or so, but the PS3 version of the game goes from running at a crispy 60 down to 30 in a lot of areas. Almost the entire opening of the game was constantly dancing in between the two, while sticking to 30 more often than not. It's only irritating because the game just looks so damn good running at 60fps. Oh well, the art and combat are still fun. And that full color manual... Yum!

Top Bottom