• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Scotch

Nemesis556 said:
Downloaded from both the US and the AUS marketplace for Xbox. The demo is completely in Japanese. I'm so confused. =/
Check your location settings in the Xbox dashboard.

I've had games be in Dutch even though Dashboard language was set to English, because the games look at the location setting.

How long is El Shaddai supposed to be? I'm not bringing my consoles with me when I move in to my dorm Wednesday. I'm hoping to power through it when my copy arrives from Gamefly tomorrow.

wwm0nkey

Attackthebase said:
How long is El Shaddai supposed to be? I'm not bringing my consoles with me when I move in to my dorm Wednesday. I'm hoping to power through it when my copy arrives from Gamefly tomorrow.
Its a decently sized game I will say but if you are dedicated enough you could probably beat it in a day.

desu

wwm0nkey said:
Its a decently sized game I will say but if you are dedicated enough you could probably beat it in a day.

Yep, however also depends a lot on difficulty and if you try to pick up all stuff and so on. There are also the score attacks after you finish the game and so on.

wwm0nkey said:

I better get a good night sleep, since I won't be sleeping tomorrow.

And I better finish Catherine tonight too.

Thanks for the responses.

Huff

Banned
Attackthebase said:

I think Shane said over 10 hours in the lastest WC.

wwm0nkey

Attackthebase said:
I better get a good night sleep, since I won't be sleeping tomorrow.

And I better finish Catherine tonight too.

Thanks for the responses.
You will really enjoy the game, it really does have some beautiful moments, the stage before you enter the tower at the beginning of the game is just amazing.

Zeal

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
You will really enjoy the game, it really does have some beautiful moments, the stage before you enter the tower at the beginning of the game is just amazing.
agreed. this is a pretty damn long game, especially if you look for and take part in the secret levels. tons of secrets, actually. you can get a lot out of this.

must buy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This game was nowhere on my radar until Weekend Confirmed last week. I need to go grab the demo and see if it is something that might be good to rent.

ironcreed

Banned
Good deal, Gamefly just shipped this out to me. I figured I would end up having to wait with it being a new release, but was pleasantly surprised this time. Can't wait.

game informer gave a game a high score?

that's pretty surprising.

i've been really excited for this for a long time now, but i can't help but think i'd be sort of wasting money on it when i know damn well it will drop at least 20 dollars in the first two weeks.

I read an article in GI that had an interview with one of the creative directors or something, the same dude that worked on DMC, Okami, etc..., and it got me really interested.. but not sure if accurate.

Anyway, he mentioned the game is fine tuned for the hardcore and even compared Street Fighter 4 to it in terms that the more you play it the better you get and you'll want to play through it over and over again.

Is he just talking shit or can someone see how this game would be more enjoyable the more times you beat it? I'm thinking like speed runs etc. The demo was pretty fun to speed run, but not sure if the whole game will have enough gameplay for me to buy first day.

rvy

Banned
As drop dead gorgeous as it looks, it feels repetitive judging from the demo. Maybe in the bargain bin.

I'm an awful Human being.

ironcreed

Banned
All I know is I fell in love with the demo. Both the gameplay and the scenery had me hooked at once. Just from that experience, it seems like something I would want to play more than once, but I just can't say for sure until I actually play it all. If I love it enough, I may just go ahead and decide to keep my copy that I have on the way from Gamefly.

Snogger_T

Some review scores for those interested.

Game Informer: 9
GameFan: 9.5
PlayStation: The Official Magazine: 9
Eurogamer: 9
Sci Fi Magazine: A+

edit: Edge: 8/10

legbone

wow. it is scoring way higher than i expected. i figured it may get a little repetitive also. guess not, that or it was so good in other areas the reviewers overlooked the repetition. i'm going to have to read them.

legbone

beast786 said:
Hi, I am not Port Begging. But is there any plan for PC? If yes I want to wait. If not I will be picking this up.

i haven't heard a single thing about a pc release. however, i am not part of the pc master race so maybe one of them has heard something. i don't think so though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nothing has been said about a PC release, and Japan hates computers so it will never happen. Just like with every other Japanese game that isn't from Capcom.

Finaika

beast786 said:
Hi, I am not Port Begging. But is there any plan for PC? If yes I want to wait. If not I will be picking this up.
As someone else said, Japan hates computers so no.

Is this game out today?

Snogger_T said:
Some review scores for those interested.

Game Informer: 9
GameFan: 9.5
PlayStation: The Official Magazine: 9
Eurogamer: 9
Sci Fi Magazine: A+

edit: Edge: 8/10

Here are some more:

- Official Xbox Magazine: 7.5
- PSM3 Magazine UK: 7.5

Cactus

Banned
Wow, I can't believe some of these scores. Despite the game being absolutely beautiful, I thought the demo was pretty terrible from a gameplay standpoint.

Maybe I'll give this a chance...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
mintylurb said:
It doesn't look like the ps3 version has any AA..Ordering the superior version now!

AAはPS3がQAAのようですがXBOX360がMSAAとちょっと違う感じがするのでよくわかりません。

PS3 seems to use QAA and 360 MSAA.

mintylurb

Kagari said:
AAはPS3がQAAのようですがXBOX360がMSAAとちょっと違う感じがするのでよくわかりません。

PS3 seems uses QAA and 360 MSAA.
That ps360 chap is tripping. I've tried the demo and it's a jag fest. There's no way the ps3 version uses QAA. If it does, I'll send you a box of your favorite snack, pocky!

ironcreed

Banned
PS3 version looks and plays fine to me in the demo. That is the version I have on the way from Gamefly as well, and I am looking forward to it.

360 version def has less jaggies. In any case i just couldn't justify giving Ignition any of my money and went with a rental on this one.

Jintor

wwm0nkey said:

"If you're good, you could probably be done in about seven hours"

just went through the demo - it looks nice but the controls felt sluggish and unresponsive, particularly on the jumping side. really didnt like it at all.

dr_octagon

Banned
Cactus said:
Wow, I can't believe some of these scores. Despite the game being absolutely beautiful, I thought the demo was pretty terrible from a gameplay standpoint.

Maybe I'll give this a chance...
Looks great but the demo put me off as well.

ironcreed

Banned
It is pretty clear from the responses around the community that this is destined to be just another one of those niche titles that will be hated by many, despite getting generally favorable reviews. I would not be surprised if it actually ended up being a cult classic of sorts. Of course I'll reserve that until I play the full game.

Just played the demo of both versions and I'm still stumped as to which to buy. The PS3 version is definitely a much smoother experience with it's higher frame rate, but it's also jaggy city. The 360 looks great though despite it's lower fps, though I also found it a bit harder to control. That may have just been due to unfamiliarity with the controls, since I played that version first. So basically I have no idea which to pick, I'll probably just flip a coin when I go to the store tomorrow.

colinp

Banned
Teknoman said:
You can choose JP voices and english text without changing system settings. Honestly I like Lucifel's JP voice more than his english voice.

Those jerks, why didn't they include that in the JP release?!?!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Teknoman said:
You can choose JP voices and english text without changing system settings. Honestly I like Lucifel's JP voice more than his english voice.
What about the Japanese text? (sorry for asking weird questions)

Shalashaska161 said:
Just played the demo of both versions and I'm still stumped as to which to buy. The PS3 version is definitely a much smoother experience with it's higher frame rate, but it's also jaggy city. The 360 looks great though despite it's lower fps, though I also found it a bit harder to control. That may have just been due to unfamiliarity with the controls, since I played that version first. So basically I have no idea which to pick, I'll probably just flip a coin when I go to the store tomorrow.
Buy
both!

codhand

From IGN

"I fear for all of the gamers that will get sucked-in to El Shaddai by its graphical flair, which is admittedly awesome."

Don't fear the reaper, brudda.

Top Bottom