• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BocoDragon said:
So is this a misprint? Some kind of unique early sale? Or has Ignition seen the writing on the wall with Shadows of the Damned and Child of Eden and adopted a more realistic price point?

I dunno, I had to do a double take on the price and check amazon/gamestop, still $60 there. I guess Fry's actually has a decent sale this time at launch.

BocoDragon said:
So is this a misprint? Some kind of unique early sale? Or has Ignition seen the writing on the wall with Shadows of the Damned and Child of Eden and adopted a more realistic price point?
The product page says 49.96.

Kevtones

After the disappointment of Catherine... I need this to be good.

Jintor said:
Wrapped my review a few days ago, you guys want impressions? I didn't sign anything so I'm fairly certain I'm not embargo'd.

Yes please.

Jintor

Alright, but it's on your heads if I get in trouble about this. :p

Combat is I would say adequate; you probably already got this from the demo, but given the relative lack of inputs it gets pretty repetitive pretty fast. Guard-breaking via button presses is sort of interesting, but the game's HUD-less-ness prevents you from really learning how to use the combat system effectively because it doesn't really provide responsiveness. There's no lock-on for individual enemies, so it's all manual targeting, which is kind of minor in the grand scheme of things. My main beef with it was that it was difficult to cancel out of most things unless you were dash-cancelling with guard+jump, and that was kind of crappy with the Arch. It just didn't feel, well, super-responsive or flowy, but it's an alright brawler (bear in mind I was playing Bayonetta at the same time, trying desperately to beat the shit out of Rodin, which I FINALLY managed without resorting to Climax Bracelets/Pillow Talk). It also never gets more complex - I don't know how far the demo goes, but once you get the third weapon it's not like additional complexity is ever introduced into it - it kind of gets repetitive from then on. Fighting also tends to become just a war of attrition, since everything has a lot of health, even with purified weapons.

The story is borderline incomprehensible. Not in terms of what's actually happening, because that's fairly simple, but in that it assigns meaning to characters you've never met until now through like a throaway line in a 2d-loading screen, or it just does things you wouldn't expect in other games without much explanation. It's like... how do I put this... it doesn't think about how much the average player would have understood or even cared about, it just ploughs on and on. Whether or not you can put up with it is really just up to your willingness to subject yourself to Jewish apocrypha interpreted through a Japanese lens and shoved into an arthouse game wrapped around a fighting engine. If you thought Bayonetta or MGS had hard-to-follow stories, at least those two followed a traditional narrative structure. This approaches total arthouse madness at times.

Spacial awareness in 3d platforming is off for reasons I can't put my fingers on directly, but yeah - it's difficult to tell where you are in 3D space. 2D platforming is beautiful but simplistic.

As you might expect, the entire game is start to finish wonderful to look at, and the music is incredible, but occasionally you'll get this bloody visual filter over your screen for an entire level. That aside, it's a design student's orgasm, with every level shifting slightly (or spectacularly) in art style.

For the record, I think the Eurogamer review is a little overenthusiastic about it. The combat is nowhere near as fluid and as beautifully simplistic-complex as Bayonetta, and it certainly doesn't 'change the way' I think about games in the same way that Okami or Rez did. Still, I defintely enjoyed my experience with the game, and would recommend it for the artstyle alone, if nothing else [I also personally enjoyed the weird-ass 'story', but that's all up to you. Lucifel is awesome, though].

Zeal

Banned
In terms of story (besides it being amazing), it follows the demon's souls formula of allowing you to find tablets and scrolls that fit the story together like a puzzle. The more you dig, the more you can get lost in the game's mythology or just stick to the action portions and enjoy the visuals. It's really however you want to play and it's a fucking awesome game for it.

Finaika

Jintor said:
Alright, but it's on your heads if I get in trouble about this. :p

Combat is I would say adequate; you probably already got this from the demo, but given the relative lack of inputs it gets pretty repetitive pretty fast. Guard-breaking via button presses is sort of interesting, but the game's HUD-less-ness prevents you from really learning how to use the combat system effectively because it doesn't really provide responsiveness. There's no lock-on for individual enemies, so it's all manual targeting, which is kind of minor in the grand scheme of things. My main beef with it was that it was difficult to cancel out of most things unless you were dash-cancelling with guard+jump, and that was kind of crappy with the Arch. It just didn't feel, well, super-responsive or flowy, but it's an alright brawler (bear in mind I was playing Bayonetta at the same time, trying desperately to beat the shit out of Rodin, which I FINALLY managed without resorting to Climax Bracelets/Pillow Talk). It also never gets more complex - I don't know how far the demo goes, but once you get the third weapon it's not like additional complexity is ever introduced into it - it kind of gets repetitive from then on. Fighting also tends to become just a war of attrition, since everything has a lot of health, even with purified weapons.

The story is borderline incomprehensible. Not in terms of what's actually happening, because that's fairly simple, but in that it assigns meaning to characters you've never met until now through like a throaway line in a 2d-loading screen, or it just does things you wouldn't expect in other games without much explanation. It's like... how do I put this... it doesn't think about how much the average player would have understood or even cared about, it just ploughs on and on. Whether or not you can put up with it is really just up to your willingness to subject yourself to Jewish apocrypha interpreted through a Japanese lens and shoved into an arthouse game wrapped around a fighting engine. If you thought Bayonetta or MGS had hard-to-follow stories, at least those two followed a traditional narrative structure. This approaches total arthouse madness at times.

Spacial awareness in 3d platforming is off for reasons I can't put my fingers on directly, but yeah - it's difficult to tell where you are in 3D space. 2D platforming is beautiful but simplistic.

As you might expect, the entire game is start to finish wonderful to look at, and the music is incredible, but occasionally you'll get this bloody visual filter over your screen for an entire level. That aside, it's a design student's orgasm, with every level shifting slightly (or spectacularly) in art style.

For the record, I think the Eurogamer review is a little overenthusiastic about it. The combat is nowhere near as fluid and as beautifully simplistic-complex as Bayonetta, and it certainly doesn't 'change the way' I think about games in the same way that Okami or Rez did. Still, I defintely enjoyed my experience with the game, and would recommend it for the artstyle alone, if nothing else [I also personally enjoyed the weird-ass 'story', but that's all up to you. Lucifel is awesome, though].
So its all style, no substance? :(

Still would buy it for teh graphics alone.

The pseudo 1s parts seem amazing but in 3rd person I found the demo kinda lackluster, will be watching for full impressions before jumping in

Tizoc

So there really isn't much to the combat then?
Well guess this is one game I'll be getting at a discounted price/used ^_^;

Jintor

Amir0x said:
i am so going to trip out while playing this game

I'm guessing you probably don't care about the story that much, but I'd love to know how that goes through your brain while playing, because it was mad enough without drugs

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
BocoDragon said:

Fry's usually has sales on games for their first week -- this is nothing new. It just happens to be a particularly nice deal. This for $40 and No More Heroes Paradise for $35 on Tuesday? Pretty good day, I'd say.

360 version is the one to get for El Shaddai, right? The screenshot comparisons were definitely in that version's favor, but... ya never know.

Tizoc said:
So there really isn't much to the combat then?
Well guess this is one game I'll be getting at a discounted price/used ^_^;
Combat is like DMC1's melee. It's all based on timing and it's just as minimal as DMC1.

JoeTheBlow said:
This boggled my fucking mind in the demo. I just couldn't work out why i kept plummeting off the edges and in between platforms. That alone rendered this game from "interesting" to "fuck this!".
Total playtesting fail.
What? You're kidding, right? The platforming sections in the demo are really easy to get through. Maybe it's just you.

Duffyside

Banned
These threads always weird me out; they don't feel like exciting new threads for a game that's coming any day now, since others imported months ago.

Anyway, game has that 10 dollars in credit pre-order thing on Amazon right now. So, that's what I'm doing. Can't wait. My savior is ready!

d0c_zaius

Its a great game (so far) even with the combat issues. I can see people not liking the pace of the combat, or the limited weapon selection though.

Sometimes I find myself just staring at the game before I realize that I can move Enoch around.

I'm up to chapter 3, and combat can get pretty nasty if you get lazy.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just played the demo...

Did... did I just get laid?

Will purchase when it hits bottom prices. Interested in witnessing the spectacle of it all, not to mention the potential for tangential education (more games need this). The gameplay almost put me to sleep, though.

mattp

dammit
i had it in my fry's cart the other day and didnt checkout
just went to do it and now it says unavailable
wah

Joe Molotov

Managed to snag a copy early. Played it for about and hour. Man, this game is weird. Like Killer 7 with angels instead of hitmen. I don't know if I like it yet. The combat is kinda boring and button mashy, the story so far is just a bunch of cryptic dialogue spoken by people you don't know.

On the other hand, it had one of the most amazing opening credit scenes ever in a game.

Utako

Banned
Not impressed with the demo. All it did was drag me through hallways into long, awful Okami-esque combat rooms (sans fun, original painting mechanic) and average-to-mediocre platforming.

The visuals are exquisite. Too bad the gameplay left me mostly bored and slightly frustrated.

I also liked the use of the "snap" sound. Like God can erase your failure with a snap of his fingers, or pause the game, etc. :p

Kimosabae

Banned
Utako said:
I also liked the use of the "snap" sound. Like God can erase your failure with a snap of his fingers, or pause the game, etc. :p

Heh, I wondered if I was the only one to appreciate that.

Cheska

Nemesis556 said:
Downloaded from both the US and the AUS marketplace for Xbox. The demo is completely in Japanese. I'm so confused. =/

That is so weird. Can't comment on the Xbox version as I've only played the PS3 version, but I don't remember it being in Japanese.

Teknoman

duffyside said:
Holy crap, this game runs at 60 fps? Or, because that's the max, is that just like side-scrolling levels or cutscenes?

Everything except cutscenes if the demo is any indication.

Teknoman

MYE said:
Holy crap that site is a mess

:lol

Yeah they changed it at some point. Used to have an easy to use layout...and full sale information.

Anyway the combat system seemed pretty simple from the demo (either button mash, or time the button presses for different combos).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Teknoman said:
Everything except cutscenes if the demo is any indication.

Only on the PS3, or on the 360 as well?

If the performance differences are that big between the two systems, then maybe the PS3 is the way to go...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nemesis556 said:
Downloaded from both the US and the AUS marketplace for Xbox. The demo is completely in Japanese. I'm so confused. =/

No, but the game will have dual language options.

Coldsnap

schlew said:
Nick Rox from Warning a Huge Podcast told me over Twitter that thr 360 version overs better effects and image quality, while the PS3 version has a higher framerate. He owns both Japanese versions, so he's a pretty great source.

what did he think of the game?

Damn. Just tried to place an order on Frys.com and it seems that they've closed off all orders for the game. If I can't snag a copy at $40 this week, I'll just have to wait until it actually is $40 everywhere.

Top Bottom