• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Maxim726X

So I played the demo, mainly because the game looks so damn beautiful.

Eh. That's my impression.

It takes forever to take out an enemy, and that battle system doesn't look incredibly deep. Still interested, going to wait for reviews and some impressions here before I make the plunge.

GrayFoxPL

Maxim726X said:

It takes forever to take out an enemy, and that battle system doesn't look incredibly deep. Still interested, going to wait for reviews and some impressions here before I make the plunge.

Actually playing the demo I found it gets deeper the more you play also you get to finish of enemies quicker. I love it.

The game is magical.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Maxim726X said:

i agree. the game has been out in japan, iirc, so i was hoping for feedback - my impressions in the demo thread

desu

Well, here again the same question as in the demo topic. Did you guys purify your weapon? if not it drags out fights wayyy to long. I didn't really have a problem with too long fights in the whole game. However I mainly played the Gale due to its extremly fast play style.

SHAZOOM

Played the US demo. Love the look, thought the gameplay was decent at first, but started to learn the R1+attack/jump and it changed the pace in a good way. Is this a disc release or Digital Download?

Lard

Banned
Disc release.

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or not. I just found that I was getting double teamed alot, which was frustrating.

Had high hopes for this, but now I don't know.

Aru

Played the demo too. The graphics are good but gameplay not so much.
Seems to be very repetitive.

I read the Gamekult import review of the game. It basically said that the level design was boring, and the battles were very repetitive (only 3 weapons :( ). I guess it's not a game for me.

Maxim726X

desu said:
Well, here again the same question as in the demo topic. Did you guys purify your weapon? if not it drags out fights wayyy to long. I didn't really have a problem with too long fights in the whole game. However I mainly played the Gale due to its extremly fast play style.

Yes, I did purify my weapon- Constantly.

Still seems that it takes forever to finish off anyone... And can you ever actually die? Only times I had to continue is when I put in that button combo incorrectly.

Aru said:
Played the demo too. The graphics are good but gameplay not so much.
Seems to be very repetitive.

I read the Gamekult import review of the game. It basically said that the level design was boring, and the battles were very repetitive (only 3 weapons :( ). I guess it's not a game for me.

Not saying El Shaddai is a great game or anything, but I always roll my eyes at the "repetitive" criticism in reviews. It doesn't tell us much, since practically every game is repetitive in some way. The issue is whether the core mechanic is fun enough to repeat.

Maxim726X

MushroomSamba said:
Not saying El Shaddai is a great game or anything, but I always roll my eyes at the "repetitive" criticism in reviews. It doesn't tell us much, since practically every game is repetitive in some way. The issue is whether the core mechanic is fun enough to repeat.

Right, but that's what makes a game feel repetitive... If it isn't enjoyable.

When you compare this game to Bayonetta or DMC it seems like an absolute chore to fight enemies.

mujun

MushroomSamba said:

This game is pretty repetitive, though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just played the demo. Not really sure what the hell I just played, but it was damn beautiful.

Game seems interesting. Reminds me of Killer7

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Played the demo. I already had my money ready for an import of the NA version as soon as its out, and now that I've played the demo nothing has changed. Insanely gorgeous visuals and I quite like the platforming.

Combat? Really dont have any nice things to say at all, and I know for sure I will be playing this on easy. Its very, very weak and poorly designed in my opinion. Overly simplistic at the expense of full control, and no real sense of knowing when and where to attack. There should be another attack button for deeper combos, as well as a dodge button for more involved play.

Its clear this is a game that has been designed as a visual/audio experience first, and I'm okay with that, because that is what I expected. As said, the platforming seems pretty neat too. But the combat can take a hike and I have zero desire to invest in it. Easy it is.

Played the demo today. Very impressed.

This game is an exercise in visual and audio excellence up there with similar classes like Okami in that regard. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. The character designs as seen in the OP look bad on paper but work well within the game itself.

The platforming feels really solid and is really serviced by the game's amazing visual presentation. Running on the waves as they arose and dove literally took my breath away.

I'm also fine with the combat and the one button approach. Yes it's simplistic, but there is a solid enough variety where there is didn't feel shallow. There is a surprising amount of depth and variety in timing and charging attacks. I'm satisfied with it in that regard. What I am concerned with is enemy variety. If the enemy variety is lacking the combat is going to become a chore.

I'm definitely picking this one up.

EatChildren said:
Combat? Really dont have any nice things to say at all, and I know for sure I will be playing this on easy. Its very, very weak and poorly designed in my opinion. Overly simplistic at the expense of full control, and no real sense of knowing when and where to attack. There should be another attack button for deeper combos, as well as a dodge button for more involved play.

R1+Jump=dodge.

Zeal

Banned
sorry to revive this if old, but i was able to import the game and i grabbed an english translation patch floating around for PS3 jailbreak.

Holy shit, this game is incredible. the combat is fast and addicting, the art design and music are mindblowing, and the story...WOW. this is a MUST get whenever it comes. do not let this game go under your radar.

i smell a sleeper hit.

i want to buy this new and support games of this type but after the arc rise fantasy debacle i just don't think i can.

one of the main reasons i bought a wii was for ARF. so i was gutted by how badly ignition fucked up the translation.

ultim8p00

Banned
EatChildren said:
Played the demo. I already had my money ready for an import of the NA version as soon as its out, and now that I've played the demo nothing has changed. Insanely gorgeous visuals and I quite like the platforming.

Its clear this is a game that has been designed as a visual/audio experience first, and I'm okay with that, because that is what I expected. As said, the platforming seems pretty neat too. But the combat can take a hike and I have zero desire to invest in it. Easy it is.

Check out some videos on Nico nico. That should change your mind about the combat. This game is almost DMC levels deep

Apdiddy

I played the demo and it felt like Bayonetta with a guy (or Okami with angels?) but even more messed up. Which means it's awesome.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Alice Madness Returns
1 week later. Shadows of the Damned & Trenched
1 week later. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
1 week later Earth Defense Force
3 weeks later. El Shaddai.

How about that summer drought?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Very disappointed. The demo has taken the game off my wanted list. I just played Castlevania and Bayonetta, and i just did not like the combat system here. It also like a really budget game.

Maybe I should try it again.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Very disappointed. The demo has taken the game off my wanted list. I just played Castlevania and Bayonetta, and i just did not like the combat system here. It also like a really budget game.

Maybe I should try it again.

It didn't completely kill my interest in the game, but yeah, the demo left me a bit disappointed. The combat is pretty stale and the platforming is mediocre at best (well, this is after I just played Outland, which had fantastic control and level design). The only reason it's still on my radar is the crazy art style and potentially awesome boss battles. I might not get it day 1 anymore like I intended, but I'll still want to check it out once the price drops to $40 or so.

Carbonox

Demo was superb. Really enjoyed the combat and despite not being extremely deep, it still offers nice variety and is extremely satisfying. No need to comment on the visuals though as everyone's aware of its beauty.

Game is a day one purchase. EASY.

Keasar

Only played the demo briefly before I had to leave, gonna try it more later. What I can say though is:

Beautiful game.
Nice pants.

This demo is fucking great. The combat is pretty great...it really punishes you for whiffing attacks and for leaving yourself open. I get a Ninja Gaiden Black feel from the A.I.

and the fucking graphics i don't even - i can't wait to see what the other levels look like!

lol @ the jeans. wtf japan

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do we really not have more impressions from Japan? :\ I liked the demo but I want to know if they expand on the concept.

Oichi said:
I wrote my impressions here if you're interested: http://www.versuscity.net/2011/05/09/el-shaddai-impressions/

Good to hear the platforming turned out well. The little bit of it I tried in the demo wasn't terribly impressive, but I'm guessing the design and challenges get bumped up a bit?

The troubling part is that I was already bored of the combat barely before the demo was even finished, and considering I've experienced 2 of the 3 weapon types and that they don't seem to evolve much, I don't know if it has much staying power with me. How long is the game overall?

Vibri

Banned
Eurogamer review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-01-el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-review

But I'm continually drawn back to the way that El Shaddai makes me feel. Like Bayonetta, like Rez, like Okami, it changes the way you think about games - and yet it's remarkably unpretentious. It's not got quite enough gameplay meat on its bones to position it alongside those classics, but it's been the most refreshing experience of the year so far, and visually it truly is incomparable.

Plus, and most importantly to me, it's stratospherically mad. At the point where I emerged out of a narrow corridor into what turned out to be a vast stadium and a gyrating dance master exploded from the sea in an outfit that would make Lady Gaga proud, I almost collapsed with joy. If that sounds like you, this could the best thing you buy this year.
(9/10)

Y2Kev

MushroomSamba said:
Good to hear the platforming turned out well. The little bit of it I tried in the demo wasn't terribly impressive, but I'm guessing the design and challenges get bumped up a bit?

The troubling part is that I was already bored of the combat barely before the demo was even finished, and considering I've experienced 2 of the 3 weapon types and that they don't seem to evolve much, I don't know if it has much staying power with me. How long is the game overall?
And purchased. I wish you could unlock a lady gaga skin.

I quoted the wrong post. Stupid phone.

ghibli99

Can't wait to check this out. Been buried mostly in Forza 3, but I'm gonna spend this weekend checking out some of the newer demos. This just looks incredible!

Oichi said:
I wrote my impressions here if you're interested: http://www.versuscity.net/2011/05/09/el-shaddai-impressions/

nice - thanks!...

& i especially agree with this:

In the end though, to anyone who is a fan of the action genre, this game is a tough sell; it’s surely not as involving as Devil May Cry and I don’t believe that the visuals will appeal to anyone who loves that series. At a retail price of 7000 yen it’s also way overpriced — I was able to find it for much cheaper thanks to Golden Week sales — and I think the game will do a lot worse in North America if they try to slap on the $60 price tag that’s associated with AAA titles. Price this at $40 however, and Ignition may find an audience more willing to take the risk...

it's really time for publishers to move beyond the whole '$60 by default' thing, factor in development costs, & price accordingly. all games are by no means created equal, & a number of them would benefit, sales-wise, were they priced more realistically...

Y2Kev

Those are great impressions!

The demo is interesting. I like seeing if there are faster ways to dispatch enemies. The platforming is fun.

ghibli99

I just checked out the demo last night. The visual design is pretty sweet in terms of the environments, but I'm not really feeling the characters. Jumps are sometimes very difficult to judge... is that a pit or a platform? The sidescrolling stuff is cool, but the jumping physics seem a bit off. I don't like the whole "run through this corridor and fight a few enemies, run down this ramp and fight again, jump over these few pits and yes, fight once more". Very linear and not very interesting. I'll give it another shot, but so far, it's not really working for me.

giggas

Played the demo and decided to poke my head in here to see what people thought, glad to know I'm not the only one that's kind of down on it. I can't say I'm disappointed because it's kind of what I expect, but I guess I was hoping to be surprised.

I think the environments look really nice, but I can't say the same for the character models. Sure they're sort of your standard Japanese game characters, but there is something about the cell shaded look that isn't meshing with the backgrounds. I can't quite put my finger on it. It would be like inserting Wind Waker Link the way he is into Okami. That's the only way I can describe it.

From what they showed of the battle system, yeah, it's pretty standard stuff and the enemies just last way too long. I'm sure I'm not "getting" it yet, but man I pummeled the hell out of them and weapon purified whenever I got the chance. They just wouldn't drop.

I think the 2D platforming segments are weak too. I'm a HUGE platforming fan, but what they showed here is just standard stuff. It's more Subspace Emissary and less Super Mario Brothers. You know, it just kind of exists and doesn't show much in the way of creative level design. Maybe that changes as the game progresses, but it started out as pretty standard stuff. And it was kind of confusing as to whether or not you could stand on the waves (which you can) but it wasn't very clear at first.

Anyway, I'd love to support this game and maybe I'll check it out when it gets its inevitable price drop, but I'm not sold on it as a 60 dollar game.

Amir0x

Banned
god the graphics in this demo are just blowing my drug-addled mind. I am definitely dipping my dick in some LSD before I play this

giggas

Amir0x said:
you can't!

ASS CHEEK SWISH SWOOSH SWISH SWOOSH ASS CHECK'S CROWN Dragon's Crown!

Yeah, pretty much this. No way that game won't be awesome. Or so, that's what Im telling myself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
semiconscious said:
nice - thanks!...

& i especially agree with this:

it's really time for publishers to move beyond the whole '$60 by default' thing, factor in development costs, & price accordingly. all games are by no means created equal, & a number of them would benefit, sales-wise, were they priced more realistically...
it's a major reason why me and a bunch of buds are buying EDF day 1

Orobi

Played last week-end, PS3 version, japanese version.
ZOMG *____*
This game looks and plays fantastic!!! Awesome graphic, awesome art style, funny and deep too combat system, very long-no boring platform session (2D and 3D) and a big big SURPRISE into an advanced stage
(plus, ff'7s character omake :D)
MUST-BUY. Craziness as bayonetta, outstanding soundtrack and wonderful art style!!!

I was going to make a combo video for the demo, but it looks like someone already beat me to it. This video shows what you can do while unarmed as well as when you're equipped with the Arch and Gale.

Amir0x said:
god the graphics in this demo are just blowing my drug-addled mind. I am definitely dipping my dick in some LSD before I play this
How did I miss this gem of a post? XD

Top Bottom