• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring made me realize how boring modern games sound.

nkarafo

The game has some amazing art direction and plays great but the sound... There's one area in the DLC thathas some catchy melancholic music and that reminded me how boring this game sounds otherwise. I might as well mute the thing and there's no difference. There is no music most of the time and the ambience is so subtle, i can barely notice it. And it's not just because is an open world game, all Souls games sound boring. The only music that exists is during boss fights and it's always the same forgettable epic choir (yes, fight me). The sound effects are also pretty generic and boring. The only game from this series i remember having some cool sounds was those brain things singing in Bloodborne. Other than that you get the usual stock monster growls and hit sounds and that's it.

Then i thought about it a bit and realized it's not just these games. I don't remember the last game that urged me to seek it's soundtrack, which is something i used to do all the time before. I have a huge game OST collection and 90% of it is still from the 8/16bit era and the PS1/N64 (remember those catchy videogame midis and chip tunes you would hum all day?).

Same with SFX. I'm pretty sure the last game i remember that has an interesting sound design was INSIDE but only in some certain parts (the shockwave part sounded AMAZING). The last game that had consistently good/interesting sound design for me was Portal 2 and that was more than a decade ago. Even games that always had good soundtracks for me like the Zelda or Metroid series have now dropped the ball. The last two main Zelda games sound boring and i don't remember if Metroid Dread even had music... did it? Because i completely forgot about it. Naturally, it had to be a remaster of an older game (Metroid Prime) to remind me about the awesome music this series used to have.

Also, no. Sorry. I don't think the recent DOOM games have good music. I don't think Mick is a good musician. Random industrial sounds over an over distorted, super loud guitar isn't music for me but i guess it's a matter of taste so do feel free to fight me. And yes, Mario Kart 8 has a great soundtrack but it's still a 10y old game that mostly has remakes of older tunes. Let's see, what else... I remember Diablo 2 having a great OST, like all Blizzard games. Do Diablo 3 and 4 even have that anymore?

In conclusion, i think modern games have great visuals and good art direction is still a thing. But i don't think they sound as good or interesting as older generation games, as if sound and music in general has become a non priority. I guess voice acting took over with all the talking and expensive voice actors?

Sertyak

Neo Member
I'm sure that some final fantasy style of music constantly in the background while you are exploring would totally fit with the mood that they are going for.
They should also put some dubstep type music mixed with the orchestral during bossfights, because that's something nobody has ever done, ever.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Oh man, I have a certain hate for the way Mortal Kombat 1 sounds

I can't really explain it. Punches etc. sound extremely over-designed or something

I'm hearing it in movies and series too nowadays, I absolutely hate it

KXVXII9X

This is one reason I got so easily immersed in games like Nier Automata (still my favorite game OST) and Persona 5 almost instantly. Same with games like the Life is Strange series and any game that uses music often to convey a mood. Also, sound direction in general is a thing I find lacking in most games. I prefer the music in older Zelda games, but the sound direction in the newer games is incredible. VR has also spoiled me with good sound direction with games like Walkabout Mini Golf where it has spatial sound.

I can see Miyazaki has some influence from Fumito Ueda, one being the minimalistic use of music which is saved for key moments. I only played The Last Guardian, but I feel like that game executed it MUCH better.

nkarafo

I can see Miyazaki has some influence from Fumito Ueda, one being the minimalistic use of music which is saved for key moments. I only played The Last Guardian, but I feel like that game executed it MUCH better.
Both The Shadow of Colossus and Miyazaki's games use similar orchestral music for the bosses but for some reason, Shadow of Colossus has memorable ones that i was listening outside of the game, on my phone, during bus rides. I never felt the same for the music in Miyazaki's games. They sound too generic, like instead of a composer they have some stock choir library in some CD or something.

I don’t agree at all. The sound in Elden Ring is amazing and the subtle area-specific orchestrated tunes and environmental sound effects gives every area it’s own feeling.
It does? Dunno man, in my case you would shuffle the sound files in the game as a prank and i would never notice it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Both The Shadow of Colossus and Miyazaki's games use similar orchestral music for the bosses but for some reason, Shadow of Colossus has memorable ones that i was listening outside of the game, on my phone, during bus rides. I never felt the same for the music in Miyazaki's games. They sound too generic, like instead of a composer they have some stock choir library in some CD or something.
I don't think that's an issue in the context of a game, especially one as gameplay and atmosphere focused as Elden Ring. You want the sounds to add to the overall experience, not dominate it.

Many 8/16 bit games had catchy music because you spent a lot of time idling or hyper focusing on one specific task, and there weren't many options back then to add to the overall atmosphere and vibe of the game. It's also worth mentioning many tunes from back then were just bitfied versions of pop or movie music, something you can't get away with nowadays.

Last edited:

IAmRei

The game has some amazing art direction and plays great but the sound... There's one area in the DLC thathas some catchy melancholic music and that reminded me how boring this game sounds otherwise. I might as well mute the thing and there's no difference. There is no music most of the time and the ambience is so subtle, i can barely notice it. And it's not just because is an open world game, all Souls games sound boring. The only music that exists is during boss fights and it's always the same forgettable epic choir (yes, fight me). The sound effects are also pretty generic and boring. The only game from this series i remember having some cool sounds was those brain things singing in Bloodborne. Other than that you get the usual stock monster growls and hit sounds and that's it.

Then i thought about it a bit and realized it's not just these games. I don't remember the last game that urged me to seek it's soundtrack, which is something i used to do all the time before. I have a huge game OST collection and 90% of it is still from the 8/16bit era and the PS1/N64 (remember those catchy videogame midis and chip tunes you would hum all day?).

Same with SFX. I'm pretty sure the last game i remember that has an interesting sound design was INSIDE but only in some certain parts (the shockwave part sounded AMAZING). The last game that had consistently good/interesting sound design for me was Portal 2 and that was more than a decade ago. Even games that always had good soundtracks for me like the Zelda or Metroid series have now dropped the ball. The last two main Zelda games sound boring and i don't remember if Metroid Dread even had music... did it? Because i completely forgot about it. Naturally, it had to be a remaster of an older game (Metroid Prime) to remind me about the awesome music this series used to have.

Also, no. Sorry. I don't think the recent DOOM games have good music. I don't think Mick is a good musician. Random industrial sounds over an over distorted, super loud guitar isn't music for me but i guess it's a matter of taste so do feel free to fight me. And yes, Mario Kart 8 has a great soundtrack but it's still a 10y old game that mostly has remakes of older tunes. Let's see, what else... I remember Diablo 2 having a great OST, like all Blizzard games. Do Diablo 3 and 4 even have that anymore?

In conclusion, i think modern games have great visuals and good art direction is still a thing. But i don't think they sound as good or interesting as older generation games, as if sound and music in general has become a non priority. I guess voice acting took over with all the talking and expensive voice actors?
Maybe try xenoblades? the ost are akin to psx era rpg. fFXVI also had the best ost i find today, and Dragon Dogma 2 as well. I find to more japanese ost/bgm tho...

But anyway, most open world are silent though, and yes, sometimes boring. In souls and elden ring, it still suits me. Since the world is barren and gritty. Still fine tho, btw...

Bashtee

Are there actually tracks playing in Elden Ring outside of boss fights? I'm 40 hours in and didn't notice anything special.

Anytime I see a game tout about how realistic it looks while neglecting these areas I die inside a little.
It's just insane. It doesn't matter anymore, really. Diminishing returns, big time. I'm really hoping with more AI implementation it will improve both the ease of development as well as tangible improvement in NPC interactivity and quest making. We're still stuck in the same gameplay loops of a decade and a half worth of games.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Music in souls games is a reward onto itself.

When you find a tucked away area it can play the same note over and over, but the visuals, the lore behind it, the atmosphere is brilliant.

Quality over quantity.

This is the peak tune from Erdtree that made me fall in love with the DLC:

One of the coolest things From has done since Demon's Souls was create intricate ambient sound layers. It sells the hell out of the worlds. The hollow humming when in tunnels, massive reverb and echo in cathedrals and so on.

But I mean their sound design is way on point in general. Whoever is in charge of that department is a Giga Chad.

sigmaZ

No good OSTs lately? I think some really good OSTs have come out in the past several years and I like you am someone who has been obsessively listening to RPG music since the NES days.
Guess it all comes down to personal taste and exposure.

peek

IN GENERAL, I agree. Its like this in movies too. Seems like the more mordern some soundtrack becomes its always, almost always, more muted more subtle.

Sure it might sound more natural having a subtle sountrack, but sure as shit isnt as MEMORABLE or at times even noticeable.

Tomeru

Funny, Dragon's Dogma 2 made me realize how boring Elden Ring is

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF
Some even like bethesda games. Go figure.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm sure that some final fantasy style of music constantly in the background while you are exploring would totally fit with the mood that they are going for.
They should also put some dubstep type music mixed with the orchestral during bossfights, because that's something nobody has ever done, ever.
A soft and simple piano melody (that turns into a big track during combat) would suffice.

But even then open world games aren't supposed to have a big ost. You are exploring. It's every other genre besides that that's lost it's musical identity. most action adventure and FPS games would rather have a shitty film soundtrack rather than something with variety and action

Fess

It does? Dunno man, in my case you would shuffle the sound files in the game as a prank and i would never notice it.
You probably don’t have it fresh in the memory. I’m playing it right now, every area has it’s own music, similar in overall oppressive style of course but still very different. Like Volcano Manor compared to Altus Plateau, gives you a different feeling. And the catacombs. And Leyndell. And Caelid. The music is spot on for me, always gives me the intended feeling.

However, if you’re a fan of oldschool melodic electronic music like the Turrican music etc then I agree that modern music are often boring.

nkarafo

However, if you’re a fan of oldschool melodic electronic music like the Turrican music etc then I agree that modern music are often boring.
It's close to that. I like melodies in my music. I understand the souls games have a lot of exploration and such music would be tiresome. But it could have music similar to what Diablo 2 had. That game was also dark and gritty and you could explore for hours but it had some songs with memorable melodic parts in them that i was excited to listen to, without ruining the atmosphere or becoming tiresome. Silence is great sometimes and fits if you want to depict a dead world or you want to emphasize on a moment but if the whole game is like that then it's just boring for me.

skit_data

I've been loving Baldur's Gate 3 music.

One of the best parts of BG3s soundtrack are the ones that come out unexpectedly out of nowhere and are played only once, like this one

But yeah the whole soundtrack is amazing

On topic:
I personally think the From Softwares games general lack of music outside of particular areas/events give them a distinct feel. Would the first time getting back to Firelink from the elevator in Undead Parish give that "oh thank fuck I'm home again!" if it wasn't for that lack of music in general and all of a sudden hearing that familiar, comforting song. The contrasts makes for a unique experience.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
One of the best parts of BG3s soundtrack are the ones that come out unexpectedly out of nowhere and are played only once, like this one

But yeah the whole soundtrack is amazing

I'm not going to listen to since it says "Raphael's final act". I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Yeah.....everything about this game just is dripping with quality. It is a masterpiece.

skit_data

I'm not going to listen to since it says "Raphael's final act". I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Yeah.....everything about this game just is dripping with quality. It is a masterpiece.
Finished my first playthrough earlier this month, approx. 400 hours of excellence. Probably in my top 3 games ever and the most ridiculous thing is that one could easily get an entirely different experience the next round.

Fess

But it could have music similar to what Diablo 2 had. That game was also dark and gritty and you could explore for hours but it had some songs with memorable melodic parts in them that i was excited to listen to, without ruining the atmosphere or becoming tiresome. Silence is great sometimes and fits if you want to depict a dead world or you want to emphasize on a moment but if the whole game is like that then it's just boring for me.
I’ve barely played Diablo so can’t compare but just want to highlight that Elden Ring is definitely not silent, there is always music. It’s just not catchy melodies looping over and over. I’d say it’s pretty much perfect orchestrated moody background music that never annoy you even if you play for hundreds of hours.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Finished my first playthrough earlier this month, approx. 400 hours of excellence. Probably in my top 3 games ever and the most ridiculous thing is that one could easily get an entirely different experience the next round.

I'm at 110 hours and just started act 3. I'm going to slow things down and seek out side quests. I think I missed a lot of them in the first two acts.

This game is obviously GOTG for me. GOAT........yeah, I'm getting those vibes man. You click on any random person and get a full voiced response even if it isn't a conversation. That's just crazy.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The only music that exists is during boss fights and it's always the same forgettable epic choir (yes, fight me).
Truth. Yuka Kitamura sent the Souls OSTs down that path and it’s unquestionably a step back from the uniqueness of the original Demon’s Souls OST snd the first Dark Souls. A shame, because she did a great job with Sekiro.
Sure, it’s an exaggeration to say that every boss music there sounds the same. Yet, it’s true that they all share such a similar style that one has to listen for distinctive sounds to pinpoint which music belongs to which boss when you’re just listening to the OST.

I was going to make a quip about open world games not being fit for melodies that would get repeated over and over for hundreds of hours… then someone mentioned Xenoblade and yeah, that’s how it should be done.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hans Zimmer has ruined modern soundtracks. What is "good" has been reduced to an aggressively boring and unignorable wall of sound that blends with nothing.
Don't know, Hans Zimmer theme for MWII is far and beyond better then the newer ones.
It's just this generation sucks.
Stellar Blade was nice surprise.

Top Bottom