• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

LENCH187

Im on PS5, no issues to report. Have about 5 hours in.. Ive done some exploring and did a couple caves. I started as a Bandit and the starting knife is really shit, couldnt wait to dump it.

Last edited:

kevm3

In terms of criticism, I will say that combat reminds me more Dark Souls 2 than 1 in terms of combat... there are lots of 'group encounters' and once more than a few enemies start tailing you, you either run away or you're done for. Also, a lot of enemies simply ignore you hitting them and continue with their attack animation. They also are able to string together huge combos that break through your defense A lot of enemies are way faster than you, so couple that with them ignoring your hits and their ability to string together huge combos that blow past your defense, you simply have to cheese them by hitting them once, and then dodge, dodge, dodge, hit them once, dodge, dodge, dodge. I feel like the speed of the enemy autotracking is annoying. In this game, it's extremely hard to get around the enemy because they rotate to face you so fast.

In terms of criticism, I will say that combat reminds me more Dark Souls 2 than 1 in terms of combat... there are lots of 'group encounters' and once more than a few enemies start tailing you, you either run away or you're done for. Also, a lot of enemies simply ignore you hitting them and continue with their attack animation. They also are able to string together huge combos that break through your defense A lot of enemies are way faster than you, so couple that with them ignoring your hits and their ability to string together huge combos that blow past your defense, you simply have to cheese them by hitting them once, and then dodge, dodge, dodge, hit them once, dodge, dodge, dodge. I feel like the speed of the enemy autotracking is annoying. In this game, it's extremely hard to get around the enemy because they rotate to face you so fast.
I hate that rotate/magnetism approach to enemy combat, ugh

TwinB242

PC = better. Some stutters, but stable framerate. I expect they will fix the stutters, or someone in the community will find a fix since its related to dx12.

Not if the experience I had is any indication. I refunded the PC version after less than a hour because of how bad the stutters are and my PC is more than capable of handling the game. The fact that they were happening in the middle of combat encounters, in a game thats already difficult where precise timing is everything makes it practically unplayable in my eyes.

Black Chamber Black Chamber Legendary work on the OT. Props to you for all the info, and creativity added.
Congrats.
Black Chamber Black Chamber what an incredible thread. Thank you and what a loss for resetera for banning you just because you wanted to create a cyberpunk OT.... their loss our win!
God Tier OT , fantastic job Black Chamber Black Chamber
Thank you all so much!!🙏🏻

Hearing that everyone is enjoying my OT really brings me joy😊

It's relieving to finally have it finished & posted💯

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Game is certainly not leaving as good a first impression as Bloodborne did in any department. That's not even considering performance.

R6Rider

Gold Member
How to turn off compass ?
I don't like it there all the time.
Not sure if you can unless you turn off the HUD.

One negative thing so far is that the game lacks many settings and options to customize for each player's preference. There's only one control scheme, and the controls are set up in a way that you can't change them if several actions are grouped. For example: Roll and Sprint seemingly cannot be different buttons.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game is certainly not leaving as good a first impression as Bloodborne did in any department. That's not even considering performance.
What? I'm about 8 hours in and having the time of my life. What are people complaining about?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I find people that usually prefer Bloodborne like the more action oriented approach as opposed to the defensive approach of the souls series.
Oh well, but that's subjective.

Lol wolf spirits are fucking OP. Destroyed the starting golden horse dude with it.
Yeah, I think spirit summoning might be the new easy mode. I'll pass on it.

kikkis

I don't really see the point of swapping weapons since you need upgrades for it to be viable, so you really can upgrade only one weapon early mid game.

Also ashes of war are quite impractical to use since I usually have shield on left hand. Yes you can one hand weapon with y rb but it's quite bit of finger gymnastics during boss fight to go back and forth.

Last edited:
qwpgwZ4.png

xEh72KX.png

Anyone running this on PC care to share their experience?

I was thinking my 1660 ti could run this on my SSD, but seems performance is janky no matter the hardware.

Anyone managing to run this game without a hitch?

Cyberpunkd

I can ALMOST kill the first main boss, I am getting him to 30% using knights+summon, then he wipes the floor with me. SL 20, any tips? I don’t know why the network play is not working so cannot summon anyone.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
qwpgwZ4.png

xEh72KX.png

I was thinking my 1660 ti could run this on my SSD, but seems performance is janky no matter the hardware.

i5 4690k & 1070 here. Playing at 1080 on high settings I get a consistent 30fps. Usually sitting in the 45fps range. I'm happy that my old system can even run it. Interestingly running at medium settings somehow gives me worse performance than at high. I'd love 60fps+ but it's enjoyable at 30.

near

Gold Member
I'm just over 4 hours in now and I'm absolutely absorbed into this world. This is truly a culmination and expansion of all the systems that made that last few FromSoftware games so enjoyable to play. My god is guard countering so satisfying. I cannot wait to experiment with and learn more about Ashes of War. The mount and combat while mounted doesn't feel as bad as I thought it would be, it actually works really well and the animation for it is quite polished, I love it. There isn't anything discouraging about the game itself at all so far aside from the frame drops and stuttering. I'm playing on PC and after a tinkering with my settings for a bit it isn't as bad as it was at the start, nevertheless this needs a patch ASAP. I think it's very playable in it's current state, at least in my experience so far, the stuttering isn't that frequent for me. I'm often oblivious to FPS and frame drops, but it's really, really apparent here with 10-15fps drops occasionally occurring in open spaces.

ssringo

Feels like they put in Sekiro quick and aggressive bosses but saddled the player with Souls methodical mechanics. Super juicy combo strings with optional delays makes parrying brutal. And of course they love dashing out of range as soon as their combo is done.

I planned to go big boy 2h strength but it's so frustrating trying find openings to punish even with a faster 1h.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Randomly stumbling upon a boss in the open world is great. Also came upon some NPC groups fighting and watched it unfold.

Started as Wretch with the club, and didn't like it very much. Now I have a spear and it's so damn good in comparison.

Last edited:
You actually need to use R2

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I replayed Sekiro last week because I wanted to get back into the groove of a FROM game and I thought it would translate well but boy has it messed up my parrying timing. I can't parry with a shield to save my life right now. I probably should have played DS3 last week instead!

I replayed Sekiro last week because I wanted to get back into the groove of a FROM game and I thought it would translate well but boy has it messed up my parrying timing. I can't parry with a shield to save my life right now. I probably should have played DS3 last week instead!

Well this does not play at all like Sekiro so .. only thing similar is crouching and jumping.

I want to hear your opinion I personally don't like the stealth and I love stealth games but this isn't Sekiro or Metal Gear and it just makes things easier than they should be. This game seems faster paced than Bloodborne or Demon Souls and feels more arcadey.

I've only played a few minutes but I'm playing Samurai and wish I felt more weighty...

Pejo

Agree with most of this. It also has the side effect of making ranged attacks avoid almost all of the mechanics...again. I was really hoping they'd turn down the tracking after DS3, but well...

I detest i-frame abuse being forced as a game mechanic if you like playing melee, which is all that FROM seems to want to design bosses for. I was really disappointed that armor can't be upgraded again as well.

It seems that I'm in for another game of slash roll roll roll roll back away strafe left roll roll roll slash.

DavidGzz

Gold Member

Kill animals and make throwing knives or buy a bow to pull one enemy at a time. I don't think it feels like DS2 at all. If you're talking about a particular cave, you're probably hitting the trap that alerts them all. It feels even better than 3 and that's impressive in an open world. The next Elder Scroll better bring A LOT of improvement to their combat cause this feels amazing.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
qwpgwZ4.png

xEh72KX.png

I have the same graphics card and it wasn't running so hot, even at 1080p. The XSX with my CX is so much better. I almost got a new rig mostly for Elden Ring and I'm so glad I didn't, even 3090s are having issues I hear. I hope they patch it soon because I know there will be some amazing mods in the future.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Eyes burning, head hurts, can't stop playing. 11 hours clocked now, the scope of this game is bananas, you could spend 20h exploring the starting area without ever seeing the first real boss and those 20 hours would be well spent, your curiosity and exploration rewarded at every turn in myriad ways.

I said months ago this will be an early Game of the Generation contender, it's certainly living up to that, praise the Ring!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well this does not play at all like Sekiro so .. only thing similar is crouching and jumping.
My thought process was that to get my parrying muscle memory up to snuff was to play one of FROM's games where that was a core mechanic. At the time, I thought it was a fantastic idea. Now in hindsight, your statement is so obvious, I can only bow my head in shame haha!

WoodyStare

Anyone else playing this on SX without VRR and not having any issues with performance? Based off of the comments in performance threads and elsewhere, you’d swear the game was unplayable garbage. I’m 16 hours in, just defeated Godrick, and I’ve yet to run into any issues that would hinder my enjoyment of the game. The frame rate is perfectly fine and I haven’t experienced any judder. I’m truly baffled by the complaints I’m seeing for the SX version.

I'm still so salty about not getting the runes after killing
Margit

runes seem a lot slower to gather/farm than souls were, at least compared to DS3 which I played right before playing this

considering rerolling anyways. prisoner is neat but doesn't really match my play style. might just keep the save for the future but I was hoping for something more like a holy warrior/paladin. I think if I want to go that route, I should play confessor?

I'm like 10 hours in and haven't found single incantation, so I think picking a class that starts with them would be ideal.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I just made it up to STORM Wind....Im still on the path and got a jellyfish thing. But I have no idea how to summon it. I did go in a wolf cave and kill a dude. That was fun. Screw the Giant....Guy was crazy.

imsosleepy

alright spend alot of the first hours buffing up my character! I now have 6 flasks already lol and am leveld up 0
Also upgraded my swords and my spirits!
I posted a video in other page that helped me with that.
This is great, already loving the extra potions. The instant horse is fucking awesome to. more games should do this..

LavosBit

Neo Member
As far as balance goes, I feel the game would play better if your defenses and melee damage output were doubled or tripled over their current values.

The tiny little chip damage you do to every boss just makes fights drag on way too long, especially since most of your time spent fighting is waiting for that scarce opening after they unload on you. And god help you if you mistimed a dodge roll or block, because you’re dead in roughly two hits.

Maybe I should have went with a magic build.

Top Bottom