• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

has anyone messed around with the broadsword enough to figure out if it's as good as the broadsword from DS3?

debating upgrading it or holding off until I find something better.

idk how tailored or curated the PS store is on PS5. But i do find it odd, that on the release day of a game thats getting 10/10's everywhere. Elden Ring is nowhere on my front page of the store. Its a lot of Destiny Witch Queen ads. and some Horizon Forbidden west. I actually have to scroll over the new games list to the next page to find Elden ring. It wasn't like this yesterday

imsosleepy

im so incredibly stuck i just dont know what to do? I keep going to areas, kiling everything and then I'm just clueless wat to do. Nothing happens, no new area unlocks. I can get anywhere I want in this game unlike previous souls games.
I cant really seem to figure out if there are objectives or a main campaign of a path u just gotta follow lol
How are you supposed to play this game and finish it?
(super dumb question but I really dont get it)

Last edited:

Freeman76

This is amazing, so interesting to explore and the world is designed so expertly! Impressed with how big Limgrave is, is the whole game contained in this map or do other rectangular map sections open up?

Just spent like two hours trying to kill the tree sentinel without success. Level 1 with a sword and it's fucking brutal. It's so obvious he's there just so you can beat your head against a wall, so why did I fall for it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
im so incredibly stuck i just dont know what to do? I keep going to areas, kiling everything and then I'm just clueless wat to do. Nothing happens, no new area unlocks. I can get anywhere I want in this game unlike previous souls games.
I cant really seem to figure out if there are objectives or a main campaign of a path u just gotta follow lol
Follow the golden/yellow trail.

You need to make your way to the castle.

SCB3

idk how tailored or curated the PS store is on PS5. But i do find it odd, that on the release day of a game thats getting 10/10's everywhere. Elden Ring is nowhere on my front page of the store. Its a lot of Destiny Witch Queen ads. and some Horizon Forbidden west. I actually have to scroll over the new games list to the next page to find Elden ring. It wasn't like this yesterday
Microsoft got the Marketing rights I think, plus Destiny and Horizon are big PS Ip's

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Putting it down for the day after an 11 hour binge. It's absolutely glorious. Everything I wanted it to be.

Not following the thread, just putting my thoughts down. I think the early stages of this game are incredibly tough but the freedom to go around the world powering yourself up without necessarily focusing on bosses is amazing, after a few not-estus-flask and sword upgrades I felt so much better. The summons I'm picking up also feel way more like part of the game and not like the older NPC summons that would often trivialise the content, here it just feels like using powerful magic. The fact that I know I can eventually respec is incredibly liberating, I'm actually saving weapons I might be able to use later that seem cool. The excess of campfires is honestly a welcome relief in a game this size, I actually think it would be massively detrimental to have the old DS corpse runs in an open world version. More focus on killing, not running.

14.5 hours deep I've killed one of the big-big-bads and a bunch of smaller ones across mostly the initial zone and the one to the south. Gonna start exploring east tomorrow. This thing looks like a 100+ hour adventure if I ever saw one and I can't wait to keep going, but my eyes are bleeding.

WoodyStare

I got as far as Godrick which is a few bosses into the main story. Once I left the castle and saw the next (gorgeous) area, I immediately went back to the beginning area and explored everything I could see on the map. I’ve encounter NPCs with side quests and completed those while collecting runes and leveling up, searched around for any hidden catacombs and just explored in general. Places where you can find the map fragments eventually show up on the map the more you explore so I’ve been getting those and revealing more of the map as well. Aside from the main golden path, just go around wherever you’d like and pick up as much as you can along the way. You never know what you may encounter. I was exploring one area and stumbled upon an NPC that needed help getting back his fort, so I did that for a while and then continued riding around on the horse. It’s a very leisurely paced game, just go wherever you want and discover.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
yea u need a summoning bell!

I was trying to find a way to equip it and couldn't figure it out. Thanks a lot.

Youre The Best GIF by Everise

alright I decided I'm going to start a new playthrough as confessor

this game is addictive af

I think I might take some screenshots of the door I'm talking about, I can't find anything about it online which is weird for a FromSoftware game

can't understand why no one is talking about this blocked door at the start of the game, I really want to know what's behind it

I know the door you mean, left right after leaving the first chamber.

There is also a pickup high on a ledge on the right I can’t get to which may be related.

V4skunk

Banned
Not if the experience I had is any indication. I refunded the PC version after less than a hour because of how bad the stutters are and my PC is more than capable of handling the game. The fact that they were happening in the middle of combat encounters, in a game thats already difficult where precise timing is everything makes it practically unplayable in my eyes.
Lol it isn't as bad as you make out.
And hilariously it'll be patched soon enough and the stuttering could even be driver related.

iorek21

Tree Sentinel is a great example of a good boss destroyed by a terrible arena. Jeez, too many stones, bushes and trees in the way of a good fight.

RPS37

I have no idea what I’m doing and I just keep getting gangbanged by these red and green knight dudes.
*facepalm

FunkMiller

On the size of this game… how many have you have discovered the elevator down to
Siofre River?

My jaw legitimately dropped as the elevator ride just went on and on. It continued to drop when I started to explore underneath, and found it’s a massive area underneath Limgrave, which is already a massive area. In the starting area of the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
On the size of this game… how many have you have discovered the elevator down to
Siofre River?

My jaw legitimately dropped as the elevator ride just went on and on. It continued to drop when I started to explore underneath, and found it’s a massive area underneath Limgrave, which is already a massive area. In the starting area of the game.

I came here to post exactly this!

The visual design is out of this world, it's way beyond anything I've ever seen before. The areas in this game are absolutely insane.

What an incredible game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Have you opened your map...? The main waypoints you unlock point big arrows in the directions you can go to progress.

For me the first two main bosses I hit were North in the huge castle area, that's probably the case for a lot of people. I also went all the way south today and haven't touched the zone to the east. It's open world, just go exploring, every time you unlock a new waypoint it's progress.

What level were people when defeating
Margit
? I am level 17 and am having trouble with him, so I decided to ride around and discover some more - there is A LOT I had overlooked or just areas I never went to. So much to do, don't feel like you need to rush the main story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally started playing this game, I started as Samurai as my starter class and the game is gorgeous!!!! Also that god damn giant horseman is kicking my ass..... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Margit
? I am level 17 and am having trouble with him, so I decided to ride around and discover some more - there is A LOT I had overlooked or just areas I never went to. So much to do, don't feel like you need to rush the main story.
I’m level 23 and even with a few summons he isn’t trivial. I’ve even mapped most of Limgrave and still not beaten that boss. I’d recommend exploring south and taking your time. Absolutely fantastic experience.

Freeman76

Siofre River?

Is Limgrave only the starting area? Its fucking huge i thought the rectangular map u start on was the entire game

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Is Limgrave only the starting area? Its fucking huge i thought the rectangular map u start on was the entire game

You'll see your map expand as you get pieces of it, or just wander into a new area. I'm not sure how true this is, but the talk was that Limgrave is 1/10th of the game. If that is true and the other areas don't get tedious, this will be a chunky monkey.

Lanrutcon

Putting the game aside until the weird hitching is fixed. The game isn't that great visually, but runs strangely.

Other than that, plays like Dark Souls 4 so far.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dunno guys, rather than being made more accessible I think Elden Ring might be the most obtuse game Miyazaki's done. So much stuff is barely explained (like I seriously had to look up how to 2hand weapons, summon spirits etc.) and the difference in threat posed between scrubs and even the mini-bosses seems real high.

Not super impressed so far to be honest. The art direction is as good as ever, and its surprisingly (shockingly) bleak in tone, but I kinda find it all a bit wearing. Even the soundtrack which is super atmospheric gets kinda droning and monotonous after awhile...

I can see the promise, but have to admit that there are a lot of irritations starting to build up. And if some of the issues are bothering me... I can't imagine how a newcomer to the Souls' franchise is going to feel.

Malachai

Does anyone else have the issue where your character does a gesture instead of picking up an item on PS5? Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it's happened so many times and I can't figure out why.
Also does anyone know what the rune sign means that sometimes pops up on the left side of the screen?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I dunno guys, rather than being made more accessible I think Elden Ring might be the most obtuse game Miyazaki's done. So much stuff is barely explained (like I seriously had to look up how to 2hand weapons, summon spirits etc.) and the difference in threat posed between scrubs and even the mini-bosses seems real high.

Not super impressed so far to be honest. The art direction is as good as ever, and its surprisingly (shockingly) bleak in tone, but I kinda find it all a bit wearing. Even the soundtrack which is super atmospheric gets kinda droning and monotonous after awhile...

I can see the promise, but have to admit that there are a lot of irritations starting to build up. And if some of the issues are bothering me... I can't imagine how a newcomer to the Souls' franchise is going to feel.
You probably missed the tutorial near the beginning. This phantom/ghost tells you to jump down. You also get an emote for competing it.

I didn't trust that guy so I simply didn't jump down and so I missed it first time through.

Does anyone else have the issue where your character does a gesture instead of picking up an item on PS5? Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it's happened so many times and I can't figure out why.
Also does anyone know what the rune sign means that sometimes pops up on the left side of the screen?

This is because holding triangle/Y and using the motion control does a gesture. You can turn it off in the settings if you want.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Currently playing this. I am 9 hours in and only have beaten two bosses. Game is kicking my ass so far. I believe there is something i am not doing weapons wise because my damage is very low despite my level.

But ancestor spirit boss was fantastic tbf. Its already in my top 5 FS bosses list. Took me 10 tries to beat so not the hardest i guess since i am not that great at souls games but definetly one of the coolest.

The game is good. Really really good.

but its not better than bloodborne

Last edited:
what weapon are my fellow confessors using? or any paladin/faith melee build. I got the ash that lets it scale with faith, still messing around with all the weapons I've found

I switched from my boradsword to a lordsworn's straight sword which I got like 10 minutes into the game. I like the move set more.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
When I'm about to buy some armor... is there any way to compare the piece I'm about to buy with the one I have equipped? Seems like a weird omision.

I think there's two chests in that place, one where the nobles are chanting, and another between four walls that you have to double jump to get into, and one has Twinblade and the other other has the teleport.

Might be wrong tho.

Yea yea I got those. Took me by surprise. Can’t wait to play tonight.

SJRB

Gold Member
Margit

I'm a melee character and I beat him using the wolves spirit summon and the AI sorcerer summon, Rogier.

The wolves are crazy strong, but you need a bit of luck. If the wolves are spread out enough so he doesn't hit them all at the same time the wolves will support you for a long time.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You probably missed the tutorial near the beginning. This phantom/ghost tells you to jump down. You also get an emote for competing it.

I did it, but I guess with being so generally familiar with how to play Souls games I must've just missed the hint. I suspect part of my annoyance could be down to all the small differences kinda adding up (first thing I did was swap X and Triangle because...)

Camera spazzing out when fighting the first dog guardian pissed me off big time! Probably had a lot to do with it too :)

ikbalCO

I kinda agree. I think we raise dour expectations to skyhigh following the reviews scores.

Game is good. But not a "genre defining" game.

I am very confused on why people thinks this the best souls game for new comers aswell. As specially the begining can get quite overwhelming.

Open world structure adds a lot to exploration but ER does not have that directionless fun previous souls game had. Because in ER you mostly feel lost

Ofcourse i am only nine hours in but yeah, no this does not have the "discovery" feeling bloodborne had.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am 12 hours in and need some advice. I am very early but I am not sure if I am heading the right way:
So I've never beaten Margit yet. I've been all the way to the south up to the castle mourne but did not finished the boss there.
I've done plenty of caves and mini bosses.
There is this weird shit eating monster in top right part of the map but enemies there are a bit nasty so I just have teleport location there.
Is Margit the first "gate" ?
I do have tailoring gear and some of this cave stuff. Are weapons upgraded only at the round table blacksmith? Are there infusions?
any good places to use stone keys ?
The game is very fun to explore and I have not focused on main story at all :p

SCB3

I kinda agree. I think we raise dour expectations to skyhigh following the reviews scores.

Game is good. But not a "genre defining" game.

I am very confused on why people thinks this the best souls game for new comers aswell. As specially the begining can get quite overwhelming.

Open world structure adds a lot to exploration but ER does not have that directionless fun previous souls game had. Because in ER you mostly feel lost

Ofcourse i am only nine hours in but yeah, no this does not have the "discovery" feeling bloodborne had.

Yea I never got the same argument for Bloodborne either, in my opinion DS3 or 2 are the best to start with as they guide you in and DS3 in particular you can level fast

SJRB

Gold Member
I am 12 hours in and need some advice. I am very early but I am not sure if I am heading the right way:
So I've never beaten Margit yet. I've been all the way to the south up to the castle mourne but did not finished the boss there.
There is this weird shit eating monster in top right part of the map but enemies there are a bit nasty so I just have teleport location there.
I do have tailoring gear and some of this cave stuff. Are weapons upgraded only at the round table blacksmith? Are there infusions?

Yes, he is the first. If you look at the map you see the grace kinda guides your way.

ikbalCO

We are playing the exact same way dude. I was feeling really bad about not being able to beat that douche Margit 9 hours in but seeing people also having problems makes me feel good. Margit kicking my ass was the reason why i start exploring the world tbh.

Have you been to
siofra river
yet? If not, I'd hardly recommened you to do so.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have the Zweihander now, but I don’t know if I should change it up. Has anyone leveled it up to see if it’s just as effective as other games?

Mounted combat is effective. I was sloppy at first, but it’s fantastic now. It is a horse of course.

I’m loving the game.

so much love to Berserk unless I’m in heaven and the swords and monuments remind me of Berserk

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are playing the exact same way dude. I was feeling really bad about not being able to beat that douche Margit 9 hours in but seeing people also having problems makes me feel good. Margit kicking my ass was the reason why i start exploring the world tbh.

Have you been to
siofra river
yet? If not, I'd hardly recommened you to do so.
I've not been to the east almost at all ! haha. Definitely going to do that before.

Yes, he is the first. If you look at the map you see the grace kinda guides your way.
The fraces in the south point to the south though I think

Manji Uzuki

Just like 2 hours in.I have been in the dark since the date reveal so discovering things about the new mechanics. So far the game looks promising but I have the feeling its less addicting than previous fromsoft games. Perhaps due to the open world or the game still needs to click for me

The one thing I'm not liking too much is the background music while navigating the world. I would have prefered just the environment sounds like in previous games.

do you get penalized runes for summoning co op help? Never used it in other souls games but I’m making a paladin and I have some party buffs I want to try.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Still can’t beat
margit

Even with co-op, wolf summons 😂

Easiest souls game my ass, this is hard but I have put in over 4.5 hours and I’m loving it now. Starting to get the hang of the loop, I wish they’d fix the frame pacing on PS5, only complaint so far.

Top Bottom