• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

there is something hidden at the start of the game

there is an ordinary door that is blocked right outside of where you spawn, before you even get into the tutorial

I'm not talking about the stonesword key blocked area that comes a bit later. I mean immediately after you spawn and start a new game.

I've spent like an hour trying to figure out how to get to it.

you can't return to it once you start progressing the tutorial so there has to be a way...

FrankWza

jIGjXc4.png

Puncheur

My eyes are sore from doing nothing but playing since yesterday afternoon! And all I can do when not playing is to think about where to explore next. Beaten two bosses and managed to find around 4 more that are too tough at the moment.

Not finding the bosses any easier than previous soulsborne games but have yet to try out the new mechanics. Main gripe is not being able to find any decent weapons so far. Item drops seem to be a lot rarer and sparse. Can explore large amounts of space and not find anything. It's nice being able to relax and breath between enemy encounters, and being free to literally explore any direction is so liberating. No getting stuck on a single path. Can't wait to dive back in...

alright I decided I'm going to start a new playthrough as confessor

this game is addictive af

I think I might take some screenshots of the door I'm talking about, I can't find anything about it online which is weird for a FromSoftware game

can't understand why no one is talking about this blocked door at the start of the game, I really want to know what's behind it

Chiggs

Gold Member
I have to strongly disagree that this game is the easiest Souls game yet. Not sure how widespread that opinion is, but I saw enough of it on YouTube and figured From was trying to appeal to more players, but after playing it? Nope.

Sure, you can skulk around in the grass, but when it comes to bosses or even some upper tier normal enemies, like the guys on horses...this is still a From game.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anyone else playing this on SX without VRR and not having any issues with performance? Based off of the comments in performance threads and elsewhere, you’d swear the game was unplayable garbage. I’m 16 hours in, just defeated Godrick, and I’ve yet to run into any issues that would hinder my enjoyment of the game. The frame rate is perfectly fine and I haven’t experienced any judder. I’m truly baffled by the complaints I’m seeing for the SX version.

Well, this is most likely because you’re not some big, whiny baby sucking on Digital Foundry’s teets.

Game might just be the GOAT for me.

Bragr

Banned
So after a few hours, it's clear, one of the things that makes it so special is how the open-world removes the forced difficulty. You don't have to fight your way down a hallway and spend 2 hours at a boss, you can choose, there is 4-5 different paths, some are not that difficult, some are, some have huge bosses, some have smaller easier mobs. It makes the game's notorious difficulty more up to the player.

Also, the way FromSoftware loves to build in secrets and insane things into their games really shine here, the open world has allowed them to go wild in this regard, every corner features some new crazy shit.

So far I have to say that enemy poise in alot of instances feels very unsatisfying. I´m fighting standard human soldiers and even a fully charged heavy attack from a two-handed greatsword can´t stagger some of these guys if they´re in the middle of an animation. Enemies just tank the damage and run through everything.

near

Gold Member
So for main quest u follow the vague yellow lines ? Not sure what I'm doing and where I'm going tbh.

That's right. The golden rays at the sites of grace guide you towards story beats, but I'd highly suggest exploring around those sites as there are a few - not too difficult to find but easy to miss - dungeons with useful items such as talisman and spirit ashes that will aid you immensely.

RAL1992

Great OP!

Managed to sneak on for a couple of hours before the missus got home, was running a bath late through and flooded the bathroom whilst clearing out the gatefront ruins...

Good times and bad times were had, can't wait to get back to it.

GermanZepp

I played 10 hours or so. Astrologer. But not without replacing the thermal paste on my ps4pro. Before I ended my play session I get a
dragon spell from the island, do any of you guys try any of those? Has some faith and arcane stats that I couldn't meet.

lol wtf is that OT. someone has way too much time on their hands. they went so overboard that it's not even loading most of it for me hahaha and i have fast internet. well done.

anyway. installed the game today on PC. not started it yet. well i did but i got to the class section and i can't decide what to pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

GermanZepp

I equipped the spirit ash for parry with the shield and still can't nail the timing. Im beggining to think I'm doing it wrong.

SantaC

This transporter trap makes me want to cry.
I just died there for an hour. I am leaving because this is bs. It goes on forever and ever. And the stupid trap adjusts after your movement. So sometimes it is impossible to get by.

I have to strongly disagree that this game is the easiest Souls game yet. Not sure how widespread that opinion is, but I saw enough of it on YouTube and figured From was trying to appeal to more players, but after playing it? Nope.

Sure, you can skulk around in the grass, but when it comes to bosses or even some upper tier normal enemies, like the guys on horses...this is still a From game.
The first boss, Margit (I don't think a name is a spoiler?) is harder than any boss I fought in DS3, and I just recently played DS3 so it is fresh in my memory.

DS3 the most attempts a boss took me I think is like 3-4? I beat most bosses in 1-2 tries. I spent hours fighting Margit last night.

to be fair, I was playing as a prisoner. I rolled a confessor this morning and it definitely feels more familiar. he starts with a broadsword, which was the main weapon I used in DS3, so the move set is very familiar.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

So, my first question is how they made the character creator even worse than previous entries. The sculpting is just... Monster Factory fodder.

imsosleepy

so can someone please tell me what the purpose is of the game and how u actually progres.. coz im just running around killing enemys now but unlike other souls game u just progressed in the game from rest point to rest point and went with what ever u encountered but here I have no idea what the fuck to do? Is there a main progress line or something?

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
The first boss, Margit (I don't think a name is a spoiler?) is harder than any boss I fought in DS3, and I just recently played DS3 so it is fresh in my memory.

DS3 the most attempts a boss took me I think is like 3-4? I beat most bosses in 1-2 tries. I spent hours fighting Margit last night.

to be fair, I was playing as a prisoner. I rolled a confessor this morning and it definitely feels more familiar. he starts with a broadsword, which was the main weapon I used in DS3, so the move set is very familiar.

And how about that one right at the beginning? Makes the Asylum Demon look like a big, fat idiot.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Got my Collector's Edition in the mail today. Holding off until I finish Horizon and Cyberpunk PS5 version though. By then hopefully there will be all the quests and hidden stuff detailed in guides.

SCB3

so can someone please tell me what the purpose is of the game and how u actually progres.. coz im just running around killing enemys now but unlike other souls game u just progressed in the game from rest point to rest point and went with what ever u encountered but here I have no idea what the fuck to do? Is there a main progress line or something?

There is a kinda guiding light that shows you a general direction of the Main quest I think, its on the Map and the "Bonfires" kinda shine towards it.

I put in another hour and gave up for the night, only had maybe an hours sleep last night so not in the mood right now, this weekend is free now that I am raid ready in Destiny

ssringo

I too couldn't believe what just happened. I made a run for it, grabbing anything i could. Legit new way to troll soul players after all those past traps.
Sounds like there's multiple? One I found put me in an enclosed area with a single strong enemy.

The trap I found was at the top of a tower in a chest and sent me to a castle section in the north with one of those giants.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
13 hours in and I just beat Margit. Is this supossed to be the first story boss? Cause that was hard as balls man. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

just started fighting the horseguy in the beginning and the fight is just UN FUCKING DOABLE on pc
Speak for yourself, it played mostly fine on my computer. Maybe a dip or two, but nothing as crazy as I've seen online.

Playing offline and borderless window. That might help

Pejo

So I started over on my lunch break and have been trying to take down the tutorial boss. Got literally 1 hit away just now and missed a roll.

sad season 4 GIF by Outlander

Now I have to get back to work for the next 3 hours. I don't even know what (if anything) you get for beating it, but now it's personal.

I can hear his voice every time I see a walking dead gif.

1epcFSO.jpg

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Sounds like there's multiple? One I found put me in an enclosed area with a single strong enemy.

The trap I found was at the top of a tower in a chest and sent me to a castle section in the north with one of those giants.

Yea mine was totally different

Some mining area with some kind of insect monster guarding the miners that would 1-2 shot me. When i exited the mine, the sky was bloody red, fucked up alien mushrooms on the ground. Was way east of the map, i didn't have any map fragments for that place. I noped out.

imsosleepy

Can someone please explain me what the point of the game is? This stound stupid but I really dont know.. In bloodbourne u went from those lamps to lamps and could not continue a path before u cleared a boss. Here I can go anywhere, I can kill anything, it just respawns when I get back. I dont know if there is a main storyline or main path u should take to progress til u finish the game? Is it just one big open world that never ends and u just play for fun or.. Its not really clear to me :/

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yea mine was totally different

Some mining area with some kind of insect monster guarding the miners that would 1-2 shot me. When i exited the mine, the sky was bloody red, fucked up alien mushrooms on the ground. Was way east of the map, i didn't have any map fragments for that place. I noped out.
That was minme too. Did you find the trasure that took you there in dragon's burned ruins, in the lake near the starting place?

So I started over on my lunch break and have been trying to take down the tutorial boss. Got literally 1 hit away just now and missed a roll.

sad season 4 GIF by Outlander

Now I have to get back to work for the next 3 hours. I don't even know what (if anything) you get for beating it, but now it's personal.

I can hear his voice every time I see a walking dead gif.

1epcFSO.jpg
you get a
sword and shield

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I havent seen anything close to that. I guess I have a magic PC.

giphy.gif

Seems like all the big lag videos are coming from him mainly, when we're talking about "did it crash?" kind of stutter. EAC either doesn't like his streaming app (OBS?) or his config is really the worse possible case you can have with the game.

I have an almost flawless experience on PC so far.

TintoConCasera

When I'm about to buy some armor... is there any way to compare the piece I'm about to buy with the one I have equipped? Seems like a weird omision.

Twinblade?
I think there's two chests in that place, one where the nobles are chanting, and another between four walls that you have to double jump to get into, and one has Twinblade and the other other has the teleport.

Might be wrong tho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom