• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

hollams

Gold Member
The enemy designs are awesome. I went southeast on the map and wow there are some crazy, crazy enemies. Luckily, I can just ride past them, I couldn't imagine playing without the horse.

One strange thing. I got to a tower that had three levels and you could climb a ladder to get to the next level. I climbed up the ladder and stopped short of the ledge and two enemies fell off safely to the ground below. I climbed up quickly thinking they would be right behind me climbing back up themselves, but they never did. They just stayed on the ground by the ladder. Same thing happened on the next level. Has anyone seen enemies climb ladders?

ssringo

For people struggling with Margit: just explore elsewhere. The game kinda pushes you towards him very early but there's so many other places and bosses/mini-bosses that are easier to deal with and it'll get you more equipment, skills and runes.

If you're still wanting to fight him? R2. Seriously, use it to help with staggering his ass. Still gotta get used to his combos and delays but it does help a lot (especially in conjunction with Rogier attacking).

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
When I first got to Stormgrave, Margit just destroyed me (vagabond). I decided to just turn around and explore the other areas that were already accessible. 8 hours later, I'm a level 30 vagabond, with a Claymore +3 and Turtle Shield, backed up with lone wolves+3. Absolutely demolished Margit now. So satisfying. And: getting to level 30 did not feel like grinding at all: the exploration in this game is marvelous!

So if you get stuck: do what I did and go exploring. It's great fun!

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
There's no Series X physical version of this game it seems. The box says "Xbox One / Series X" but it is the Xbox One version on disk. When you install the game it says something like "there is an upgrade for this game". You copy 800MB from the disk, and 48GB download.

Anyway, slight annoyance. Can't wait to jump into this.

Boneless

Not if the experience I had is any indication. I refunded the PC version after less than a hour because of how bad the stutters are and my PC is more than capable of handling the game. The fact that they were happening in the middle of combat encounters, in a game thats already difficult where precise timing is everything makes it practically unplayable in my eyes.

This may be relevant for you. I have played about 6 hours now, I completely skipped the tree sentinal as I expected he would be to difficult. I have had zero combat stutters, but now that I've returned to the sentinal, I get slowdowns in my horse combat with him. It's annoying, but luckily it's also rare and I have not encountered it anywhere else yet.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
This is amazing, so interesting to explore and the world is designed so expertly! Impressed with how big Limgrave is, is the whole game contained in this map or do other rectangular map sections open up?

feels game of thrones GIF

It’s much much bigger

Batiman

Banned
I’m just starting this bad boy up now.

Why am I getting network status check failed when trying to log in? Is this just me?

Where are you technically meant to go after defeatingGodric, i've just been exploring the map a bunch looking for anything extra i've not discovered. But if I want to get back onto the main quest is it the southern area?

Looking forward to the inevitable Bloodborne Vs Elden Ring poll thread. ER is an absolute masterpiece, but for some reason I'd still rank BB higher. I just really love the gothic setting and all the monster designs.

hlm666

The enemy designs are awesome. I went southeast on the map and wow there are some crazy, crazy enemies. Luckily, I can just ride past them, I couldn't imagine playing without the horse.

One strange thing. I got to a tower that had three levels and you could climb a ladder to get to the next level. I climbed up the ladder and stopped short of the ledge and two enemies fell off safely to the ground below. I climbed up quickly thinking they would be right behind me climbing back up themselves, but they never did. They just stayed on the ground by the ladder. Same thing happened on the next level. Has anyone seen enemies climb ladders?
I had the stone gargoyles in the first mini dungeon place climb up the ladder in there and they could attack faster than I could climb and knocked me off it.

im so incredibly stuck i just dont know what to do? I keep going to areas, kiling everything and then I'm just clueless wat to do. Nothing happens, no new area unlocks. I can get anywhere I want in this game unlike previous souls games.
I cant really seem to figure out if there are objectives or a main campaign of a path u just gotta follow lol
How are you supposed to play this game and finish it?
(super dumb question but I really dont get it)
Follow the light from the sites of grace or open your map and see where they point

I’m having fun but damn, it’s a bit embarrassing that even the PS5 can’t run frame rate mode at a consistent 60fps. Horizon Forbidden West may have some bugs, but that 60fps mode is smooth as butter while blowing Elden Ring out of the water graphically.

That said, I find myself wanting to play Elden Ring more then HFW lol. Elden Ring just feels like a “newer” experience. HFW is a bit more of the same, which is good and solid for sure, but not as exciting. Fingers crossed Elden Ring gets some patches that help with the frame rate and rampant pop in.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Oh sweet Biscotti! Oh lonely Tin Man! Confessor brothers! The sights we've seen! We will sing hymns under the light of the Erdtree for generations to come.

I'm so into my Confessor role that I'm reading bible quotes every time I take a break and making up my own narrative to boot. 😂

Solo'd 3 optional bosses, got some help with the first "real" boss and helped others in turn, jolly cooperation ftw. Still haven't even seen Godrick, Stormveil castle is it's own world, you can spend hours exploring it, I have found some goodies in not so obvious places. Took some time exploring far south and woo boy, this game keeps delivering. 2022 will be a landmark year for gaming but I'm saying it right now, this is my GOTY, don't give a fuck what else is releasing lol.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Somehow ended up in the east. This red phantom/npc invaded and beat my ass. Had more health and did more damage than any boss I've attempted so far.

Currently Level 13 with a +3 spear.

First days gameplay done. Level 20 and in the se now before the castle. I think im going to explore the island before doing the castle.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Omg, I couldn't figure out how to put a skill on s weapon for the life of me. I am messing around with my faith character on PC and I find a cave with a whetstone. Wtf, I missed it on Xbox and I'm level 30 lmao

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Banished Knight Oleg has got to be hands down one of the best summon spirits in the game. It almost makes that ghastly Fringefolk Hero's Grave bullshit worth it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Godrick down. The difficulty level is no joke, but it’s amazing already. I’ve explored a good amount in different regions and even found a rare sword in an area I had no business being in. Good times.
What was your level when you fought him? After Margit, I went back south and covered that area waiting to face him soon. That area seems manageable, but he doesn’t sound like a push over either.

V4skunk

Banned
I just got warped by a chest to some crystal caves!
Edit: And yeah online seems to be hit and miss with coop. It worked fine for me earlier in the day though.
I bet FromSoft underestimated how many people would be playing.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

anyone know why I can't upgrade my weapons? upgraded my sword the first time no problem but now I can't upgrade anything despite having more than enough smithing stones and runes. It keeps saying "additional items required", it shows the number of stones I have but the requirement is in red despite being less than what I have

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What was your level when you fought him? After Margit, I went back south and covered that area waiting to face him soon. That area seems manageable, but he doesn’t sound like a push over either.
23 I think. I cleared a good amount of Limgrave first, got some useful items, spells, and ashes. After that it wasn’t too bad.

It seems that all the weapons I’ve used are gimped compared to DS3

It feels like I’m hardly doing any damage in comparison

Having a blast though, thinking of trying Margit with some coop help tonight. Hoping the next area drops a decent str or quality weapon

DonF

Can you assign specific items to the dpad? I can't see the option for some reason.
It took me HOURS to figure this out. You can Triangle + D pad items. Press the options button then go to the right, over the emotes. There you have to press triangle I believe. It's so dumb and unintuitive .

Dr. Claus

Banned
That's some huge claims , does the sense of exploration and discovery better then BOTW ? That's why i absolutely loved BOTW

Yes. BotW was amazing, but what limited it was what you could feasibly find. Its sense of exploration was great, but after your 300th korok seed and 18th shrine, it did grow a little stale. Elden Ring improves upon it by having a vast array of things to find, unique massive dungeons, etc.

kikkis

Where are you technically meant to go after defeatingGodric, i've just been exploring the map a bunch looking for anything extra i've not discovered. But if I want to get back onto the main quest is it the southern area?
I think academy is next. Get lakes map and follow lights on map. There is bit of an environmental puzzle to get to the academy, so check item you get.

kikkis

There is +25 weapon upgrades, which probably means I am pretty much forced to use starting weapon the entire game unless somebody starts selling stones soon.

rapid32.5

Texture popping really shows how dated the engine is. Why we are still seeing this with SSD is ridiculous. But the game has great atmosphere, 5 hours in already like it more than Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Texture popping really shows how dated the engine is. Why we are still seeing this with SSD is ridiculous. But the game has great atmosphere, 5 hours in already like it more than Dark Souls.
Console? Texture pop in has nothing to do with the ssd, I'm playing on max settings installed on a hdd and zero pop in.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just hit the 10 hour mark. Having a total blast with this game. There have been a few times I've felt kinda frustrated, but that's just the game's way of telling me I need to go somewhere else and explore something else to get stronger. My Samurai is level 40, almost full points into dexterity. I can kill those stormhill giant guys in like 10 hits (sometimes less with crits) which makes them pretty easy to farm for 1,000 runes each (sometimes they randomly give 5,000?).

Beat two "main" bosses. 10 or so mini bosses. Beat the dragon in the lake by the starting area. Not really sure where I'm "supposed" to be going next, but I'm having fun exploring.

TIGERCOOL

anyone know why I can't upgrade my weapons? upgraded my sword the first time no problem but now I can't upgrade anything despite having more than enough smithing stones and runes. It keeps saying "additional items required", it shows the number of stones I have but the requirement is in red despite being less than what I have
nobody??

drotahorror

Can you assign specific items to the dpad? I can't see the option for some reason.

Not sure if anyone answered you but yeah sort of.

When you press start go to your quick bar. Press Y/Triangle on one of the dpad inputs and select what you want. When you want to use them, Holy Y/Triangle and press the corresponding dpad input.

I have Mount on Up, summon on left, throwing dagger on down, and random shit on right.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I did some exploring today and now im in Stormveil Castle.
This game is very addicting.
I think im near the castle boss, i will stop for now and continue later.

I'm reading every item description, its really cool how they write them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom