• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring (PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S/One) is still going strong and many players have achieved incredible things with it.

0:00 Intro
0:17 Number 10
1:20 Number 9
2:12 Number 8
3:48 Number 7
5:11 Number 6
6:11 Number 5
7:05 Number 4
7:56 Number 3
8:51 Number 2
9:50 Number 1

Finally.... I DID IT!

V7FPUHq.jpg

First try with the Faith build using the Blasphemous Blade and the incantations that boost resistance against holy damage and boost attack/defense. Taker's flame made short work of Radagon. The second phase was still hard even with this OP build. But I'm glad because I really earned this victory, unlike against Malenia where it felt a bit unearned. I still had to run for my life and dodge at the right time and struggle with the camera and keep a cool head and hit with everything I have. The EB is really one of my favorite bosses in this game and all games that I played recently. Despite it being so hard I love its design, music, and moveset.

So I went for the Age of Stars ending, glad I did cause the others are even more barebones. After 110 hours I expected something a bit meatier. Guess I'll fall back on the lore YouTube videos that explain each ending.

Thank you so much guys for your advice. This was an incredible journey. One of the best games I played in recent years. Can't believe how huge Elden Ring is, and I played Breath of the Wild earlier this year. The beauty of the environments, the dungeon design, the memorable bosses, the deep lore, the uncompromising game design philosophy, the possibilities for building your character, the NPCs, all of that was captivating from start to finish. Of course it has some imperfections but that is totally acceptable. I'm proud to have triumphed over gravity, the camera, and the bosses.

Mephisto40 Mephisto40 my internet speed is too slow to summon players unfortunately.

Fake Fake I didn't feel like fighting Alecto a dozen times just to use him for one boss. The mimic tear proved a reliable companion all the way to the end.

I look forward to playing Dark Souls III after taking a break.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Fake Fake I didn't feel like fighting Alecto a dozen times just to use him for one boss. The mimic tear proved a reliable companion all the way to the end.

Congrats. I personally prefer the Black Knife ally, but the mimic will vary between your build. For my playerstyle, the mimic don't suit me well and the Black Knife apply death rune debuff.

Soodanim

I started yet another new save because I found out that you can get to Marika's Scarseal from a teleporter in Siofra River, something I never knew. Which is fantastic, because 1. I got to learn something new about the game, and 2. Access to the Dragon Halberd from the Dragonkin Soldier.

He's not the hardest in the world, because of some slow attacks, but he can easily one shot you and I decided to cheese him. Got Poison Mist from Caelid swamp, stuck it on my axe, set all my flasks to blue, then snuck up behind him and spent some time on a silent, free kill.

The reason I wanted it was because despite its normal sounding Spinning Slash art, it actually buffs the weapon with Ice Lightning in the process. I took it for a spin against Margit and Godrick at +1 and it did very nicely. There's also a +5 Somber near where you get it, so drive to Iji and get half way to max very quickly. It also only needs 16 Str 10 Dex to dual wield, so a very easy one to set up.

DelireMan7

Finally.... I DID IT!

V7FPUHq.jpg

First try with the Faith build using the Blasphemous Blade and the incantations that boost resistance against holy damage and boost attack/defense. Taker's flame made short work of Radagon. The second phase was still hard even with this OP build. But I'm glad because I really earned this victory, unlike against Malenia where it felt a bit unearned. I still had to run for my life and dodge at the right time and struggle with the camera and keep a cool head and hit with everything I have. The EB is really one of my favorite bosses in this game and all games that I played recently. Despite it being so hard I love its design, music, and moveset.

So I went for the Age of Stars ending, glad I did cause the others are even more barebones. After 110 hours I expected something a bit meatier. Guess I'll fall back on the lore YouTube videos that explain each ending.

Thank you so much guys for your advice. This was an incredible journey. One of the best games I played in recent years. Can't believe how huge Elden Ring is, and I played Breath of the Wild earlier this year. The beauty of the environments, the dungeon design, the memorable bosses, the deep lore, the uncompromising game design philosophy, the possibilities for building your character, the NPCs, all of that was captivating from start to finish. Of course it has some imperfections but that is totally acceptable. I'm proud to have triumphed over gravity, the camera, and the bosses.

Mephisto40 Mephisto40 my internet speed is too slow to summon players unfortunately.

Well done !
Endings in Soulsborne are in general always in this "minimal" vein. Bloodborne does that better in my opinion. Sekiro endings are really good (but I don't consider it a Soulsborne).

Hope you'll enjoy Dark Souls 3. It's a really good game.

I find funny the "Dieu occis" message in French. I am French but play the game in english so I never saw it before. "Occire" is an old verb that's usually used in old literature (or when the action take place in "old times").
Interesting choice from the translation team.

Well done !
Endings in Soulsborne are in general always in this "minimal" vein. Bloodborne does that better in my opinion. Sekiro endings are really good (but I don't consider it a Soulsborne).

Hope you'll enjoy Dark Souls 3. It's a really good game.

I find funny the "Dieu occis" message in French. I am French but play the game in english so I never saw it before. "Occire" is an old verb that's usually used in old literature (or when the action take place in "old times").
Interesting choice from the translation team.
Thank you!

Yeah the word "occis" (non-Ffrench speakers, it's pronounced "Oxy") is a peculiar choice, but it fits the message, short and accurate, it reads better than a more literal translation of "slain" like "pourfendu".

I enjoy comparing the word choices in games with French text and English or Japanese dubs. Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age is full of old words that actually fit the setting. Sometimes, however, you can notice the ideas that got lost in translation, or the excessive liberties :/ That bothered me enough in Xenoblade 2 to switch Xenoblade 3 to English text right after starting it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
After not playing for a couple of weeks (stopped after beating Melania) I started playing today.. Beat Godfrey and that dude before him and got to the second phase of the end boss. They both do so much damage. Godfrey and both phases of the end boss are super cool in their presentation. Amazing stuff. So yeah... =)

Last edited:

Woggleman

I am sort of stuck on Maliketh the Black Blade. No matter what I do I get him to where he is almost dead and then I get killed. Maybe I am here too soon since I haven't even fought Malenia yet.

Fake

Gold Member
I am sort of stuck on Maliketh the Black Blade. No matter what I do I get him to where he is almost dead and then I get killed. Maybe I am here too soon since I haven't even fought Malenia yet.

You can use a item to parry his attacks.

Yeah, he is right. There is a tool called Blasphemous Claw that can be obtained from an invader (Recusant Bernahl if Rykard is defeated at Volcano Manor) in Farum Azula and it does just that.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wrapping up the remaining couple achievements before taking on and beating Elden Beast. I'm kind of looking forward to NG+ and reading up on the NPC's quests and fulfilling them. As well as other stuff.

Still have some work to do =)

zLbfI65.jpg

Playing the game after haven taken a long break really brings some perspective to how huge ER is.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wrapped up all achievements expect for all the endings and regrettably the legendary armaments one. Locked myself out of that Spear in Lyndell. I'm not really a achievement guy so it was par for the course it would happen. So yeah all that's left is Radagon and Elden Beast.

Edit: Age of Stars ending!

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Gauntlets and legs are from the Royal Knight set. Love the altered version. Katana is called the Nagakiba. (Had to look it up for you, don't no most names of armor and weapons and such by heart)

That Carian Knight helmet even got the antenna to use the ether to communicate telepathically ;3)

Funnily enough I missed the Carian Knight set on my first playthrough and stumbled upon it yesterday within a few hours into NG+

Last edited:
Thanks!

The Carian set is easy to miss, the way there is filled with annoying enemies so I imagine many players focused on finding the exit of that area (I forget what it’s called). I looked up its location ahead of time because it has my favorite helmet and torso armor. It fits well with most gauntlets and leg armaments. The blue hoodie that boosts MP fits quite well too.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You're welcome. Yes that area was pretty stressful with the hugging zombies and dogs. Fighting that Carian Knight I thought hey cool that's that armor from the beta I'm sure that's his drop... That shield was nice though. Used it for quite a time. Even though I thought I was (and I was to quite an extent) thorough I already found a handful stuff I missed just a couple hours into ng+.. Crazy.. I only need the 2 other endings and 1 weapon for the 1000/1000 achievements.

And yeah that hoodie and others are very dope but they clip through my shield when it's on your back. Silly but that really irritates me haha. Same goes with certain hats and helmets when having a great or colossal sword equipped.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With time you will piece together the story and setting of Elden Ring but so much of the deep lore of the game is hidden from the player. We've gone hunting through Elden Ring to help you understand the story a little more and pick up on some secrets about the lore that you may have missed.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm not sure if I will notice any of these differences.

So I'm currently in NG+ in the Capital. Very much enjoying myself marveling at the design of this game and having maxed out gear is just a pleasure on it's own

I'm still in the capital. Spend way to much time searching and walking past the well to get to the subterranean shunning grounds lol.
i remember seeing the well first time i got there but didn't think to go down it. i knew there was a place called the shunning grounds but i thought the shunning grounds was the sewer and ruined area where the well is. when i eventually went down that well it blew my mind. i can't believe how far it goes down lol.

if i remember right there is:

after going down the well you get to the shunning grounds and you can find leyndell catacombs. there are more sewers then an elevator taking you down to the mohg fight. there is a secret area behind him which is like another catacomb but you need to be careful jumping all the way down multiple floors to the frenzied flame proscription. this area is related to one of the endings.

Last edited by a moderator:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
i remember seeing the well first time i got there but didn't think to go down it. i knew there was a place called the shunning grounds but i thought the shunning grounds was the sewer and ruined area where the well is. when i eventually went down that well it blew my mind. i can't believe how far it goes down lol.

if i remember right there is:

after going down the well you get to the shunning grounds and you can find leyndell catacombs. there are more sewers then an elevator taking you down to the mohg fight. there is a secret area behind him which is like another catacomb but you need to be careful jumping all the way down multiple floors to the frenzied flame proscription. this area is related to one of the endings.

Yes it's the ending I'm going for this time around which indeed implies I already went through and combed out that area so me walking around like a dunce in the sewer area around the well is quite amazing.

Btw if you're going for a new playthrough how would you go about it? Doing everything or just what you feel like doing for example the legacy dungeons etc?

Last edited:
Yes it's the ending I'm going for this time around which indeed implies I already went through and combed out that area so me walking around like a dunce in the sewer area around the well is quite amazing.

Btw if you're going for a new playthrough how would you go about it? Doing everything or just what you feel like doing for example the legacy dungeons etc?
Just get what you need for your build. It makes the game feel way more organic than the usual tickboxing.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just get what you need for your build. It makes the game feel way more organic than the usual tickboxing.

I did just that the first few hundred hours. Doing the same again with the addition of ticking of some boxes in the process. I never ever really go for achievements or certain endings but I'm making an exception with ER =)

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
EIisLli.jpg

Only the two other endings left for 1000/1000. Before that I'll most likely farm a bit (not a big fan), get some upgrade mats etc

Definitely that one as it is maxed out by default and can be tracked down about half an hour into the game by activating a trap chest in the Dragonburnt Ruins (East of starting area), exiting the tunnel, and tracking down Streets of Sages Ruins (South West of tunnel). Acquiring Torrent by speaking with Melania at Gatefront site of grace is highly recommended as traversing the Caelid swamp on foot builds up scarlet rot. There is even a spell there that recieves a damage bonus from the staff.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
This game. Came back after putting in over 80 hours in my first playthrough. Finding little areas I missed, new items, new spells. If it gets DLC, whoa. So much to do for $60.

This game. Came back after putting in over 80 hours in my first playthrough. Finding little areas I missed, new items, new spells. If it gets DLC, whoa. So much to do for $60.
Last night I found a merchant I’d somehow missed on two ‘full’ playthroughs and two quicker ones. Madness.

Top Bottom