• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Using what I learned from my first playthrough I farmed a decent amount for my new sorcerer - lvl 80, here's my stats

Vigor 28
Mind 25
End 14
Str 12
Dex 12
Int 53
Faith 7
Arcane 13

Using the meteorite staff, the starting astrologer gear, and some longsword +1 (haven't bothered wasting my smithing stones since I haven't used my sword since the first 45 minutes of the game). I basically got the staff, learned Rock Sling (gravity magic), and proceeded to blow through Margit and Godfrey since at this point they're basically exercises in muscle memory.

I know I need to get that vigor to at least 30 to avoid being one-shotted by some enemies in the mountains to come, and I intend on getting int to 60 for that Rennala staff. Should I go hybrid? Do I really need more arcane? I have considered boosting vigor to 35, and endurance to 20 so I could rock a decent medium gear build but still be at medium weight, but not sure if it's worth sacrificing my bread and butter which is int.

Using what I learned from my first playthrough I farmed a decent amount for my new sorcerer - lvl 80, here's my stats

Vigor 28
Mind 25
End 14
Str 12
Dex 12
Int 53
Faith 7
Arcane 13

Using the meteorite staff, the starting astrologer gear, and some longsword +1 (haven't bothered wasting my smithing stones since I haven't used my sword since the first 45 minutes of the game). I basically got the staff, learned Rock Sling (gravity magic), and proceeded to blow through Margit and Godfrey since at this point they're basically exercises in muscle memory.

I know I need to get that vigor to at least 30 to avoid being one-shotted by some enemies in the mountains to come, and I intend on getting int to 60 for that Rennala staff. Should I go hybrid? Do I really need more arcane? I have considered boosting vigor to 35, and endurance to 20 so I could rock a decent medium gear build but still be at medium weight, but not sure if it's worth sacrificing my bread and butter which is int.
I’d just concentrate on just vigor, mind and intelligence.

Vigor is essential - I’d sacrifice vigor for attack power any day.

What spells do you want to boost arcane for? I’ve found it’s only really worth it if you do a pure arcane focussed build.

DelireMan7

When you go through the magic gate into the academy, immediately turn 180 and you end up going down a forested path stuffed with wolves. Eventually you find a merchant who sells, among other things, 2x St Trina flowers.
I have no idea why I didn’t try this before.
Yes this one is very well hidden. Took me a while to find it

When you go through the magic gate into the academy, immediately turn 180 and you end up going down a forested path stuffed with wolves. Eventually you find a merchant who sells, among other things, 2x St Trina flowers.
I have no idea why I didn’t try this before.
I don't remember meeting that one.

Incidentally I orderd Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades edition (along with Resident Evil 2 and Ace Combat 7). It's going to take a while to be delivered since I bought from PlayAsia, but getting 3 games for the price of 1 PS5 game is really nice. Meanwhile I'm taking a semi-break from playing on the PS4.

I remember that merchant because he sells Fanged Imp Ashes needed to open up the Albinauric Rise in the Consecrated Snowfield with Graven-Mass Talisman for maximum magic damage. The only other way to get them is to choose them as a starting gift.

P.S. For PVE sorcery I have found great enjoyment in using Magma sorcery with Gelmir Glintstone Staff (drops from Man-Serpent Wizard in Volcano Manner), which is high damage and low cost with relatively equal faith and intelligence investment. Even for fire resistant enemies it pairs well with cold sorcery/skills for resetting. If cost is overlooked, then Lusat's Glintstone Staff (Selia boss reward) boosts all magic damage at 150% cost. For the end game, the Prince of Death Staff has the best scaling for maxing both stats.

Last edited:
I remember that merchant because he sells Fanged Imp Ashes needed to open up the Albinauric Rise in the Consecrated Snowfield with Graven-Mass Talisman for maximum magic damage. The only other way to get them is to choose them as a starting gift.
Lol ffs something else I missed 🤦‍♂️
Time to boot up my level 170 strength chad and mop up these loose ends…

I wonder what else I’ve missed? GOTD.

I know I missed how to open the door in the Divine Tower of Caelid and Eternal Darkness spell (mountain island across bridge near Dowry's Shack in Caelid) my first time through and I was pretty thorough.

Last edited:

BadBurger

I found Azu'ls glintstone staff. Seems like a nice perk, faster casting, and the tradeoff is I can cast one less rock sling per FP bar. Does it scale better than the Meteorite Staff at higher levels? Or should I go with Rennala's staff?

I also boosted my dex to 18 to use the Moonveil katana - I got into some hairy situations and realized I needed a quality, fast blade just in case and it seemed like the natural fit for an int build.

Last edited:
The Moonveil Katana is one of the best weapons in the game with its quick, high damage skills often staggerring enemies and its scaling with the right buffs. Only the Dark Moon Greatsword and Sword of Night and Flame come close for an int build.

Unless you intend to specialize in a particular subset of magic or heavily invest in faith or arcane, Lusat's Glintstone Staff beats all others. Radagon's Icon talisman at the Academy of Raya Lucaria (Debate Parlor second floor) is more than enough of a speed boost for most casts. As a caster you really need to get the Cerulean Crystal Tear dropped by the Ulcerated Tree Spirit by the Minor Erdtree close to the main entrance to Volcano Manor. It gives you infinite casting for 15 seconds, which paired with Lusat's Glintstone Staff yields some of the highest damage in the game. There is a PvE strategy that utilizes it with Azur's Comet and is primarily buffed by Terra Magica spell and Azur's Glintstone Crown helm which erases most bosses.

Last edited:

BadBurger

The Moonveil Katana is one of the best weapons in the game with its quick, high damage skills often staggerring enemies and its scaling with the right buffs. Only the Dark Moon Greatsword and Sword of Night and Flame come close for an int build.

Unless you intend to specialize in a particular subset of magic or heavily invest in faith or arcane, Lusat's Glintstone Staff beats all others. Radagon's Icon talisman at the Academy of Raya Lucaria (Debate Parlor second floor) is more than enough of a speed boost for most casts. As a caster you really need to get the Cerulean Crystal Tear dropped by the Ulcerated Tree Spirit by the Minor Erdtree close to the main entrance to Volcano Manor. It gives you infinite casting for 15 seconds, which paired with Lusat's Glintstone Staff yields some of the highest damage in the game. There is a PvE strategy that utilizes it with Azur's Comet and is primarily buffed by Terra Magica spell and Azur's Glintstone Crown helm which erases most bosses.

Thank you for the breakdown, much appreciated

Banjo64

cumsessed
Had shit kicked in by God Devouring Serpent last night. 60 int glass mage cannon build. 25 mind, 20 vitality.

Pisses me off because there’s a cheese where you could just jump on top of the entrance door but it’s been patched. Not even got to Rykard once yet.

Last edited:
Generally the Serpent Hunter weapon (which has no stat requirements) with Mimic Tear summon does the job. However, if you are agile enough (with bloodhound step or without) it would be enough to cast Night Maiden's Mist spell (sold by Gowry in Caelid after giving Millicent the unalloyed needle) and circle around.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Generally the Serpent Hunter weapon (which has no stat requirements) with Mimic Tear summon does the job. However, if you are agile enough (with bloodhound step or without) it would be enough to cast Night Maiden's Mist spell (sold by Gowry in Caelid after giving Millicent the unalloyed needle) and circle around.
I got Mimic Tear from +0 to +10, Serpent Spear to +7 and then went and arse fucked him straight away just earlier tonight.

Man it feels good blowing through two tree sents like they aren't shit. This grinding finally paying off.
The tree sentinel from the beginning of the game was definitely very satisfying to defeat after enough leveling up.

The duo in the Altus Plateau however, I had no qualms cheesing them with a million arrows from a safe distance.

The draconic tree sentinel at the entrance of Leyndell, and the one in Farum Azula, were true nightmares. No tricks, no cheese, no mimic tear, I had to git gud and beat them fair and square. Definitely among the most memorable encounters in the game.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
The tree sentinel from the beginning of the game was definitely very satisfying to defeat after enough leveling up.

The duo in the Altus Plateau however, I had no qualms cheesing them with a million arrows from a safe distance.

The draconic tree sentinel at the entrance of Leyndell, and the one in Farum Azula, were true nightmares. No tricks, no cheese, no mimic tear, I had to git gud and beat them fair and square. Definitely among the most memorable encounters in the game.
Fun fact: If you approach Leyndell from the alternative route with the ballistae you can come at that duo of Tree Sentinels from behind and kite them one at a time through the gate.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Returned to the game for the first time since late May. Been short-staffed all this time and I've been working 80-hour weeks.

Finally things are slowing down and I have time for Elden Ring. Literally have thought about it pretty much daily for months. I was worried id be so rusty I wouldn't be able to pick it back up where I left off.

Well one dead Putrid Tree Spirit later ... I think I'm back at it! That was a tough fight tho.

Kudos to whoever posted a map of Caelid like two months ago because I noticed that one site of grace way out where you fight Radahn. Never would've gone back there again and - as a massive bonus - I discovered Alexander combing the battlefield and I think I just avoided missing out on his quest. Also kind of disconcerting to find out what's inside the jar ...

Anyway sorry for the wall of text but it's just SO FUCKING GOOD to FINALLY get back to this game after a brutal number of months.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Made some good progress during the my first day back. Took down the Draconic Tree Sentinel, did a ton of exploring and clearing in Leyndell (I already could've started it since I finished Fia's quest and unlocked the back door to the city but I wanted in the "normal" way for completion's sake). Notched a pair of Tree Spirits. Made it to Godfrey's boss gate and died once before calling it a night at 2am. This city is huge and I miss Torrent.

A question for those who know - I don't know specifics but I do know there's some crazy event that changes the map eventually. Godfrey, First Elden Lord, sounds like a pretty big deal. I have a few other options before I kill him. I can push west to Volcano Manor, I haven't explored it but was there once by abduction, so very little done there. Haven't even crossed that rope bridge that looks like it leads there eventually.

I also have had Blaidd waiting for me to kill him underground for ages. That feels like I'm nearing the end of Ranni's quest.

Or I could just suck it up and try to kill Godfrey before any of that stuff.

Any advice for what to do now?

BadBurger

Aw man, I remember having to kill Blaidd. All I will say is come correct. If you fight fair he is a beast.

DelireMan7

A question for those who know - I don't know specifics but I do know there's some crazy event that changes the map eventually. Godfrey, First Elden Lord, sounds like a pretty big deal. I have a few other options before I kill him. I can push west to Volcano Manor, I haven't explored it but was there once by abduction, so very little done there. Haven't even crossed that rope bridge that looks like it leads there eventually.
Without going into details : the event you mentioned will only happen later in the game. You can proceed to Godfrey's fight if you want.
I don't know if you know (or want to know) the scale of the changes so I put it as spoiler : it will only make most of Leyndell unexplorable. All the rest is unchanged

It's up to you to see what you want to do first but as of now you safe to go either way without fearing consequences.

My dagger-only non-bleed run is stuck at Fire Giant, lol. I watched a couple of vids on how to do it - yeah... I don't have the time to get that good at this game. Or the inclination. I've had loads of fun with this character doing co-op 90% of the time then darting through the game to open new areas but it might be time to retire her end-game hopes and just keep her for co-op sessions only. She's level 100 so I'm kinda stuck helping out in some of the more boring areas :(

I was thinking of doing a fresh bleed run, which I've not done before. I'm worried that it'll be dull though. Anybody done it and had fun with it or regretted it? I've done every boss solo many times now so I'm not worried about it being too cheesy... just boring.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Without going into details : the event you mentioned will only happen later in the game. You can proceed to Godfrey's fight if you want.
I don't know if you know (or want to know) the scale of the changes so I put it as spoiler : it will only make most of Leyndell unexplorable. All the rest is unchanged

It's up to you to see what you want to do first but as of now you safe to go either way without fearing consequences.
I really appreciate it man! I think I'll hold off on clicking the spoiler. I've made it this long without knowing and after such a long (enforced) hiatus from the game it's all magic again. Nice answer.
Aw man, I remember having to kill Blaidd. All I will say is come correct. If you fight fair he is a beast.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm at 124 hours, leaves 97 I think. Lightning melee build with 50 FTH. I feel like I'm ready! I last tried at level 50 ish and got stomped.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Banging my head against a wall with the prawn in the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds. I don't know why but crustaceans in From games have always given me grief.

Found a creative way to take them out without getting hit tho. Sleep pot, charged heavy while they're dozing off, then a critical strike. Rinse and repeat until they're done.

I'm going to try to be more creative with the tool box from now on. So much stuff I just don't think about using.

BadBurger

They finally patched out that Endure glitch / abuse / whatever it was. Last week I tried doing some PvP with my new mage to get a feel for the timing. All three people I invaded were using the same thrusting weapons and abusing the endure trick. At first I thought I was just lagging or something as the player took rock sling after rock sling, while being mauled by one of those huge bears, and was taking zero damage over the course of about 30 seconds. Then I popped in to the official subreddit and sure enough it was just the latest pvp glitch being abused.

I don't get why people even bother playing these multiplayer games if all they ever do is min/max and abuse some new glitch each week. Where's the fun in that?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Can you elaborate on this? I'm at 124 hours, leaves 97 I think. Lightning melee build with 50 FTH. I feel like I'm ready! I last tried at level 50 ish and got stomped.

Sorry, I missed this reply earlier.

You can cheese him by running back into the tower and taking the elevator up. I used the rotten breath incantation, ran away, came back, used it again, ran away .... you get the idea. Trying to fight him toe to toe out on those steps with the crystals and all in your way is to his advantage. He just sticks to you like glue and it's difficult to maneuver.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Sorry, I missed this reply earlier.

You can cheese him by running back into the tower and taking the elevator up. I used the rotten breath incantation, ran away, came back, used it again, ran away .... you get the idea. Trying to fight him toe to toe out on those steps with the crystals and all in your way is to his advantage. He just sticks to you like glue and it's difficult to maneuver.
Gotcha. I hope it doesn't come to that. But it's a From game. Cheese is fair game in my mind even if it's kind of a downer when you resort to it.

We'll see if I'm overlevelled. He's my next target but currently doing Mt. Gelmir and am losing my mind down in Gelmir Hero's Grave.

I love insta-kill running puzzles that you have to start from scratch every time you die. I mean wtf do they many me to do after I kill the Bloodhound Knight lmao I've been fucking around for an hour.

Edit - I figured it out. I can't believe they wanted me to do that.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Banging my head against a wall with the prawn in the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds. I don't know why but crustaceans in From games have always given me grief.

Found a creative way to take them out without getting hit tho. Sleep pot, charged heavy while they're dozing off, then a critical strike. Rinse and repeat until they're done.

I'm going to try to be more creative with the tool box from now on. So much stuff I just don't think about using.
They are really tough. By accident I discovered they can damage each other. So I ended up aggroing both of them. Survive till one is dead and usually the other one was quite damaged. Then finished the job

Rex_DX

Gold Member
They are really tough. By accident I discovered they can damage each other. So I ended up aggroing both of them. Survive till one is dead and usually the other one was quite damaged. Then finished the job
Yeah I tried this! It was so hit or miss to get them to fight each other instead of me though.

I'd say I'd like to attempt to go back and try this but you couldn't pay me to go back down there. That area has some really masterful design and I like the surprise catacomb that came out of nowhere ... but still fuck that place.

Soodanim

My dagger-only non-bleed run is stuck at Fire Giant, lol. I watched a couple of vids on how to do it - yeah... I don't have the time to get that good at this game. Or the inclination. I've had loads of fun with this character doing co-op 90% of the time then darting through the game to open new areas but it might be time to retire her end-game hopes and just keep her for co-op sessions only. She's level 100 so I'm kinda stuck helping out in some of the more boring areas :(

I was thinking of doing a fresh bleed run, which I've not done before. I'm worried that it'll be dull though. Anybody done it and had fun with it or regretted it? I've done every boss solo many times now so I'm not worried about it being too cheesy... just boring.
I find that you're better off pairing bleed with something else, because there's plenty that resists either bleed or the slash damage that tends to come with bleed. Dual wield with a fire or frost weapon, maybe one of each just in case.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not been invaded once despite having Plus and online enabled.

Can’t summon players using furlcalling finger remedy. Level 95. At Melania. Activated Summon Sign.

Anyone know why my PS5 isn’t getting the online element?

Can’t summon players using furlcalling finger remedy. Level 95. At Melania. Activated Summon Sign.

Did it work for you before?

Some nights I’m summoned the moment I put a sign down. Others I end up reading a book while I wait… on XSX.

It’s not worked for me at all throughout the game. No online interaction except messages and death splats.

Hmmm.

Have you made sure you don’t have your own password on?

And do you have any group passwords filled in ?

If not, try: 1234, SEEKERS, BERSERK, btf. They are extremely active groups.

BadBurger

Hmmm.

I use SEEKERS myself, both PS5 and PC, typically active in the end game stuff.

Banjo64 Banjo64 dumb question, but have you opened all the ports on your firewall that PSN and Elden Ring use? Just a shot in the dark.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hmmm.

How do you view the password sorry? I can’t see it in the network menu.

I’ve gone offline now but will double check in the morning.

I use SEEKERS myself, both PS5 and PC, typically active in the end game stuff.

Banjo64 Banjo64 dumb question, but have you opened all the ports on your firewall that PSN and Elden Ring use? Just a shot in the dark.
Thanks bud, will try this too.

How do you view the password sorry? I can’t see it in the network menu.

I’ve gone offline now but will double check in the morning.

Thanks bud, will try this too.
You have to press start then go into the multiplayer menu rather than settings.

Then press triangle (I guess, it’s Y on the Xbox) and you should be able to input some passwords. These will allow you to access bloodstains and summons of those groups specifically.

And at the top you’ll see a field for your own password. If this is active then you’ll only be able to share the game with people using that same exact password.

DelireMan7

Just to be sure : you know you can't be invaded if you're not summoning another player or using the taunter tongue ?

It's weird you can't summon players. So you see the Mark's on the ground ? 95 might be a bit low for Malenia, it could explain the lack of player here.

Like others said, check password and some online setting

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just to be sure : you know you can't be invaded if you're not summoning another player or using the taunter tongue ?
So you can’t just be randomly invaded against your will?

It's weird you can't summon players. So you see the Mark's on the ground ? 95 might be a bit low for Malenia, it could explain the lack of player here.
I use the remedy but then nothing at all appears on the ground. I can only see player messages and their blood splats. I’m going to try and level up a bit.

Like others said, check password and some online setting
Just checked, all password fields are blank.

Top Bottom