• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Finally got around to playing a few hours of co-op with my 12yr-old son and it makes the game way better. I was sneaking up behind a soldier and I thought my son was sneaking with me. Right when I'm about to back stab him a fire arrow thuds into the enemy's head and I freaked out and chopped him down. My son was just watching me sneak and having a laugh at my expense. Stuff like that makes the game feel more dynamic.

The co-op is a little convoluted at this point since we were using consumables to do the co-op summon that cost 1000 runes each. He was crashing out a few times and I had to keep buying them. I'll have to look into whether there's an item for that allows unlimited use. He attacked the fucking merchant Kale before he bought the crafting kit and now he's permanently aggro'd against him. I was reading there's some way to reset it, but I didn't have it in me to spend the time doing it tonight.

*edit*From an online guide: "There are two ways to obtain Furlcalling Finger Remedies. The first is to craft them using Erdleaf Flowers, which you can commonly find in Elden Ring's open world." Well I'll be damned.

Last edited:

kikkis

Seems like people on reddit don't like south caelid boss either, and think its one of the worst bosses in all souls. Oh well, I guess I go somewhere else.

Fess

Some jackass put a message infront of a ladder saying "ladder". It was in room with a boss and I couldn't climb it.
Yeah I had something like that happening too, rated 9999 too so it’ll never go away I assume. Don’t understand what’s going on, I’m playing offline with mostly zero messages but I do see some messages sometimes, no idea why that is, either offline won’t remove the messages and people just stop spamming them further out in the game or it’s a bug that sometimes start the game online anyway.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Anyone got an idea on what sort of level to aim for in faith? Don’t want to waste points. 30ish?

Am a confessor, so wanting to balance str/faith.

Last edited:
Enjoying the game overall but def not my favorite Souls game so far. Like a 7/10. Maybe 10 hrs in. It’s really weird the open-world is just slapped on top of the exact same mechanics from DkSIII.

I went out into the open world and painfully explored some high-level areas. Wasn’t really fun and there was a lot of trial and error. I made it to some red sky areas that I thought may even be the final areas of the game. Was I facing a great challenge, or just wasting my time banging my head against the wall fighting things I was never meant to at my level?

Started back on the main path and reached the first real boss Margit, whose combos I cannot block. Or well I can block them at first, but holy attacks go through my shield and he has very long combos that deplete my stamina.

I guess I could go and explore more to level, but to me that really takes the challenge and genius out of the Souls formula if I have to go do that to beat the boss. I just don’t see a way to progress through his second phase without using summons (which I never use on my first playthrough of any Souls game).

In short, I don’t really think the open-world makes the Souls formula any better, and the realtively difficulty of different areas sort makes the openness more of an illusion than it should be.

KEKW.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Fuck my gf and her stupid ass carnaval long weekend. For ducks sake, I need to be playing this and am here stuck like a moron
4pn1an.png

Ogbert

Gold Member
Ok. Some advice.

I’m about 15 hours in with confessor and I feel like I’ve made the wrong choice. Just feels like I’m neither melee or magic. Worst of both.

Really tempted to reroll Samurai.

Worth it?

Went with Wretch. And man it was pretty rough to get started compared to everyother Souls game. Because I was not expecting so few weapons and armor pickups.

But I did my grinding, and had enough gear and weapons to beat Margo at lvl19. Jelly fish did good work on that one. Now I am lvl35 and really starting to get in the groove of it.

Doing my standard Great Sword build that I basically play every Souls game as. Haven't used any magic yet aside from Ash summons.

I am enjoying it so far but I still have mixed feelings on the open world parts. It does feel like there is 2 separate games here. When you are in the "overworld" it has a very different feel. Mostly because you can so easily kite or just run away from encounters due to your mount and jumping. But when you are in the "dungeon" parts, it feels very much like a Souls game. I mean they even have
Patches
in here!

Last edited:

Fess

My wife woke up and told me it’s almost 3, I didn’t even think it was past midnight
Lol, not quite as late but I got a sarcastic sms where my wife wondered if I planned to sleep by the computer. I was sneaky yesterday and played a bit during the day at some less brutal areas with my 6yo too. 🤫

It’s essentially Zelda Breath of the Wild x Demon’s Souls. Worthy of the praise. Can’t stop thinking about it. Bethesda better delay Starfield to 2023 if they want a GOTY award.

bitbydeath

Pouches are such a great addition to the game.
Typically, I’d assign Flasks to the directional down item menu and have to flick through in the heat of the moment, often selecting the wrong one.

Now, I have flasks assigned to pouches and know the exact buttons to press when needed to use.

My items are now just my trusty stead and wolf summons (as I use them frequently).

kikkis

Pouches are such a great addition to the game.
Typically, I’d assign Flasks to the directional down item menu and have to flick through in the heat of the moment, often selecting the wrong one.

Now, I have flasks assigned to pouches and know the exact buttons to press when needed to use.

My items are now just my trusty stead and wolf summons (as I use them frequently).
Don't you have to stop moving for a second if map flask pouch? Could be quite critical in aggressive boss fight.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Rerolled as prisoner, at Margo now having only leveled up Arcane (lol)

Got him over 50% but taking a small Halo break now

How do I equip spirits? Can't find it

Last edited:

SSfox

Holy moly umbasa i haven't got far but I'm already blown by the armors and weapons designs, can also see some in loading screens.

Yeah I had something like that happening too, rated 9999 too so it’ll never go away I assume. Don’t understand what’s going on, I’m playing offline with mostly zero messages but I do see some messages sometimes, no idea why that is, either offline won’t remove the messages and people just stop spamming them further out in the game or it’s a bug that sometimes start the game online anyway.

Same i'm offline, i always do in my first run in souls games.

FunkMiller

Big spoilers for something:

OMG, how many have you opened a
chest that transports you to the very top of the map, to a place with a HUGE castle, a massive stone golem, and the biggest fucking dragon ever? It’s like the game is going ‘this is where you’re heading my son…’ Absolute chills.

The jaw dropping moments in this game keep piling up and up.

Last edited:
Big spoilers for something:

OMG, how many have you opened a
chest that transports you to the very top of the map, to a place with a HUGE castle, a massive stone golem, and the biggest fucking dragon ever? It’s like the game is going ‘this is where you’re heading my son…’ Absolute chills.

The jaw dropping moments in this game keep piling up and up.
So my wife has been watching me play this (she tells me where she wants me to go and I do all the fighting) and we came across this and our jaws literally dropped. Even as a souls veteran at this point, they continue to do stuff that has me giddy. What an amazing game.

FunkMiller

So my wife has been watching me play this (she tells me where she wants me to go and I do all the fighting) and we came across this and our jaws literally dropped. Even as a souls veteran at this point, they continue to do stuff that has me giddy. What an amazing game.

Right? It was so great. The confidence to be able to pull something like that off is testament to how good FromSoft have got at this. The amount of holy shit moments is way in excess of what I thought there would be.

I’m genuinely starting to feel like this might be my favourite game of all time.

decisions

Different build than I have (quality but using STR weapons rn). Rolling so often like that to get away wasn’t an option for me as I’m currently fatrolling. Fair enough, I guess I can take off all my armor and just do this, but I still think that’s kind of lame. Can’t use guard counter, parries, guard break, jumping attack, etc. Just fight him like every boss in DkSIII.

It’s weird that Tree Sentinel was right at the beginning and seems like the only boss where using the new mechanics was actually helpful.

Anyways thanks for finding me a path forward that doesn’t feel like cheating lol.

Top Bottom