• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Cyberpunkd

I deviated from the road to the castle, went to some trees on the right side. A place where in any other game there would be an item, and thats it. But there was a passage, and it went on and on, then I ended up in an entire other region with different enemies and etc.
Same here, was escaping from one of the bosses and I noticed a canyon, boom, dungeon.

That mergit dude kinda tough since baiting his jump attack works about half the time and he counters wirh that damn golden daggers close range. Got to about half his health in 10 attempts so will probably go to that roundtable for a breather.

DjMystix

Soooo I just finished horizon 2 and started this, played for for a few hours and I have an unpopular opinion. Probably more because coming from a game like horizon that looks amazing, has exceptionally solid controls and combat.and a good story.

Elden ring looks like an early ps4 game, not so great performance on PS5 and God those controls... I found the game to be really clunky.

And I do completely understand this is how all souls game have been all along. I am a huge fan of sekiro, to a point that I platinumed it. Difficulty is not the reason I am not enjoying this. I had a blast mastering sifu but this game just isn't working for me.

Definitely not my cup of tea but the only thing that bothers me is that how does it get a free pass on performance, controls and below average graphics? Because it is hard and people will come off weak if they point out flaws in the game? How is this a 10/10 game is beyond me.

I'll end my rant here. No disrespect to people enjoying the game. I will continue to give it some more time, maybe it will click at some point.

kikkis

Soooo I just finished horizon 2 and started this, played for for a few hours and I have an unpopular opinion. Probably more because coming from a game like horizon that looks amazing, has exceptionally solid controls and combat.and a good story.

Elden ring looks like an early ps4 game, not so great performance on PS5 and God those controls... I found the game to be really clunky.

And I do completely understand this is how all souls game have been all along. I am a huge fan of sekiro, to a point that I platinumed it. Difficulty is not the reason I am not enjoying this. I had a blast mastering sifu but this game just isn't working for me.

Definitely not my cup of tea but the only thing that bothers me is that how does it get a free pass on performance, controls and below average graphics? Because it is hard and people will come off weak if they point out flaws in the game? How is this a 10/10 game is beyond me.

I'll end my rant here. No disrespect to people enjoying the game. I will continue to give it some more time, maybe it will click at some point.
Personally game looks great graphically, no complaints there. It has mostly really designed environments instead of some cookie cutter copy and paste. I somewhat agree on controls. Switching between 2h and 1h is cumbersome, and I wish ER had Sekiros instant dodge and then run, instead of typical souls roll after release of button.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
That mergit dude kinda tough since baiting his jump attack works about half the time and he counters wirh that damn golden daggers close range. Got to about half his health in 10 attempts so will probably go to that roundtable for a breather.
And at close range he just spins around and homes in on you. Its honestly the case with almost every enemy in the game. They just track you. You can't do any true sidesteps. Just the typical circling around them infinitely until someone is able to hit them in the back. Its weird enemy AI. His attacks are really not that complicated. Or his aerial hammer attack where he just hangs in the air and then magnets right to you. Its just the same on every enemy in the game.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I think that's fair. But I still am torn on it. Theres just wonky enemy shit going on thats not particularly great no matter the genre. Enemies doing a large windup that literally get flanked and have so much homing on their attacks they do animationless 180s and other annoying features of the rpg stat boosts they get making poise break stupidly easy for some enemies. Or the horrible base dodge in this game that hasn't improved at all.

Im still liking it because its fun to explore and fight sometimes. But the gameplay feels a bit dated to me. It really does. Compared to rpgs only, sure it is still light years better than Skyrim or something.

The game has a lot going for it but the gsmeplay should have improved more than this since DS3.

Have you gone back to DS3? I think it feels tighter in every way and that's a feat for an open-world game. It has more options like jump attacks, guard counters, Ashes of War that give so many options to weapons and shields, and tight horseback combat that demolishes all other games. I was recently playing it to get ready for ER. Maybe it's because I am one of the few gamers getting to play it at a consistent 60fps. The animations on enemies are a good bit better than anything in Dark Souls. The Tree Sentinel is one example but there are several others. A game light-years better than almost all else in its genre shouldn't be dissed so much. Enemies need a little cheese to combat the player's ability to cheese them. We have homing spells, can circle enemies while turtling to get a backstab, standing on a large rock while peppering them with arrows and spells, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's perfect and would welcome more advancements in the next game. Climbable monsters ala Dogma for one would be awesome!

So, I am back to work and playing this on a monitor sans VRR. Damn, I hope they patch this soon. It was so much smoother on my CX.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
And sorry but the invasions suck ass at this point. Been invaded 3x by people with giant heavy weapons, clearly far above my level. They don't even play well. I think I end up hitting them and dodging everything for literally 3 min then they hit me once and I'm dead and I lose like 5k runes right after a boss. They're not outplaying me.

How do I turn off invasions? I set it to offline in settings and its still happening.

Those have to be NPC invaders since it's not possible to be invaded unless you activate MP with an item or are co-oping.

mansoor1980

i killed patches
200.gif

decisions

Enjoying the game overall but def not my favorite Souls game so far. Like a 7/10. Maybe 10 hrs in. It’s really weird the open-world is just slapped on top of the exact same mechanics from DkSIII.

I went out into the open world and painfully explored some high-level areas. Wasn’t really fun and there was a lot of trial and error. I made it to some red sky areas that I thought may even be the final areas of the game. Was I facing a great challenge, or just wasting my time banging my head against the wall fighting things I was never meant to at my level?

Started back on the main path and reached the first real boss Margit, whose combos I cannot block. Or well I can block them at first, but holy attacks go through my shield and he has very long combos that deplete my stamina.

I guess I could go and explore more to level, but to me that really takes the challenge and genius out of the Souls formula if I have to go do that to beat the boss. I just don’t see a way to progress through his second phase without using summons (which I never use on my first playthrough of any Souls game).

In short, I don’t really think the open-world makes the Souls formula any better, and the realtively difficulty of different areas sort makes the openness more of an illusion than it should be.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Enjoying the game overall but def not my favorite Souls game so far. Like a 7/10. Maybe 10 hrs in. It’s really weird the open-world is just slapped on top of the exact same mechanics from DkSIII.

I went out into the open world and painfully explored some high-level areas. Wasn’t really fun and there was a lot of trial and error. I made it to some red sky areas that I thought may even be the final areas of the game. Was I facing a great challenge, or just wasting my time banging my head against the wall fighting things I was never meant to at my level?

Started back on the main path and reached the first real boss Margit, whose combos I cannot block. Or well I can block them at first, but holy attacks go through my shield and he has very long combos that deplete my stamina.

I guess I could go and explore more to level, but to me that really takes the challenge and genius out of the Souls formula if I have to go do that to beat the boss. I just don’t see a way to progress through his second phase without using summons (which I never use on my first playthrough of any Souls game).

In short, I don’t really think the open-world makes the Souls formula any better, and the realtively difficulty of different areas sort makes the openness more of an illusion than it should be.

It just requires more skill. You can watch a player finish him by just parrying him over and over ala the final boss in DKS1. The game challenges even Souls vets and should be applauded for it. You'll have a no level no hit run soon enough. We just gotta git gud all over again.

Pejo

So I decided not to try Margit at all today, went exploring instead. There is so much stuff in this game, it's ridiculous. I've been trying to find myself a staff since I rerolled as Samurai, but still plan on building a dex weapon/spellcaster build. I found a guy that sells beginner sorcery, but he doesn't have a staff. No vendor I've found yet has one actually. I did find a really awesome dex/int bow that does magic damage, literally perfect for my build. Took down a ton of minibosses and completed a handful of smaller dungeons. I think they're my favorite content in the game.

Also finally took my time and cleared out the fort I was having troubles with yesterday. The key was to take out the giant first, the rest just fell into place after that. I think I'm taking a break for the day now. This game literally wears you out since you constantly have to be aware of your surroundings. I'm having an absolutely amazing time.

V4skunk

Banned
And sorry but the invasions suck ass at this point. Been invaded 3x by people with giant heavy weapons, clearly far above my level. They don't even play well. I think I end up hitting them and dodging everything for literally 3 min then they hit me once and I'm dead and I lose like 5k runes right after a boss. They're not outplaying me.

How do I turn off invasions? I set it to offline in settings and its still happening.
Lol you only get invaded if you already have summons on your side.
It sounds like a npc black phantom is filtering you.

totally the game's fault and not yours

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
totally the game's fault and not yours

Its what I was describing. He magnets to you on everything. So all you have is parry and evade. He doesn't really move or block. Its just not the most enjoyable action game I've played. And the frame instability makes parries less than ideal a lot of the time

V4skunk

Banned

The problem is you got to a new area and should have carried on. Instead you self filtered back to Limgrave.
I opened that chest as a under equiped wretch and ended up at that crystal cave lol and ended up in Caelid for hours.

Will I at some point be able to buy an infinite amount of somber smithing stones from an NPC? Upgraded a weapon but not a huge fan of the weapon, hoping I didn’t waste a limited resource

ppl will keep saying it looks great. But they 're not understanding. Yes artstyle. Art direction....AMAZING. maybe some of the best i've ever seen tbh.

Its the image quality. The picture. The textures, resolution. Clarity. The game is kinda ugly. Like 2015 level pre-PS4 Pro/Xb1x graphics. Especially not a good look when i played Demons Souls remake the night before this came out. Its night and day.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just found a unique whip out near the swamp castle and it has an awesome R2 attack.

Currently level 30 with a +9 Spear (Keen) with Impaling Thrust and starting to level that whip as well.

Total time so far is just under 13 hours.

Reactions: Isa

DavidGzz

Gold Member
It feels kind of wrong to have to kill a riderless horse to get all of your flasks back. He was the last thing standing and had full health and I was low on flasks.

The framerate is worse without VRR but you totally get used to it.

Cyberpunkd

Lol you only get invaded if you already have summons on your side.
It sounds like a npc black phantom is filtering you.
Yup, right now the servers are down for EU anyway. Got invaded twice by NPCs, good fun. Best thing is it turns off Torrent so if you cannot use it in the open world you know what’s coming.

bender

What time is it?
5 Margit kills in a row. Helping people down bosses is still my favorite part of the Souls games. My progress is mostly being done in co-op with a buddy of mine. While I'm loving the game, I'm a little conflicted on the open world. I think I'm up to four of five optional "dungeons" and I can't say they are very interesting nor are the bosses found within. I'd say they most feel rushed or half implemented as to this point, they've all been extremely short and have the boss door that needs to be opened towards the beginning of the dungeon. After beating them you have a warp point in the boss room to warp to the beginning of the dungeon but that is usually across the hall. That just feels rather pointless or like something more substation was planned. I do like the random chest found in the world. That feels a lot more natural and rewards exploration. The day and night cycle altering what is roaming in the open world is a nice touch. I guess my larger concern would be repeat playthroughs. Do I want to tackle this giant world again? I'm a little doubtful. There are sections very reminiscent of traditional Souls level designs and those are wonderful. It almost feels like they designed a Souls sequel, broke it into chunks and then filled in the gaps with an open world.

And while there have been some awesome moments
Stage coach robbery
, a lot of the tropes found in these games are starting to feel really long in the tooth.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
5 Margit kills in a row. Helping people down bosses is still my favorite part of the Souls games. My progress is mostly being done in co-op with a buddy of mine. While I'm loving the game, I'm a little conflicted on the open world. I think I'm up to four of five optional "dungeons" and I can't say they are very interesting nor are the bosses found within. I'd say they most feel rushed or half implemented as to this point, they've all been extremely short and have the boss door that needs to be opened towards the beginning of the dungeon. After beating them you have a warp point in the boss room to warp to the beginning of the dungeon but that is usually across the hall. That just feels rather pointless or like something more substation was planned. I do like the random chest found in the world. That feels a lot more natural and rewards exploration. The day and night cycle altering what is roaming in the open world is a nice touch. I guess my larger concern would be repeat playthroughs. Do I want to tackle this giant world again? I'm a little doubtful. There are sections very reminiscent of traditional Souls level designs and those are wonderful. It almost feels like they designed a Souls sequel, broke it into chunks and then filled in the gaps with an open world.

And while there have been some awesome moments
Stage coach robbery
, a lot of the tropes found in these games are starting to feel really long in the tooth.
You’re in the extended tutorial, basically. Don’t judge the game by the beginner catacombs. That’s not how it plays out.

bender

What time is it?
You’re in the extended tutorial, basically. Don’t judge the game by the beginner catacombs. That’s not how it plays out.

I've done a bunch of exploring. The most complex dungeon I've seen is
Sellia Crystal Tunnel.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
When Father Milk rolls into town big things happen. I was helping others take out bosses, one boss in particular I can 2 shot using a certain incantation, fight was over in 10 seconds, dudes standing around "like wtf just happened!?" 😂

I think I'm ready to move Northward though I'm sure there are still a bunch of things to discover in the starting area. I managed to clock 22 hours in 2 days, never marathon'd a game to that degree before, my wife was understanding lol, she's the best, praise the Ring!

kikkis

Way too many bosses have 1 shot to kill moves. Makes the fights really frustrating.

Does armor make difference? I havent found any good armor that's better than starting gear.

I didn’t beat Margit until I was level 28 and had jellyfish summon. That’s one of the hardest boss fights I’ve come across in a souls game.

So I returned to the Roundtable room and as soon as I entered I was attacked by a red phantom and locked in and couldnt go anywhere, I defeated him but no one seems to be acknowledging it or anything.

What was that about.

VN1X

Banned
What is the screaming in Limgrave? Is it the bat enemies? I was just casually strolling around earlier and heard a male voice crying out in pain but couldn't find the source.
Not sure if this has been answered yet but I'm pretty sure those are the sad sacks of meat hanging off from those crosses which are scattered about.

kikkis

This gives you some decent stuff very early, very useful for people new to this style of game. Helped me immensely.

I am lot further than that in game, but at least in past souls games armor barely makes a difference, so I am wondering if its the same here. Haven't found any armor that's better than vagabond starting armor. Its just the 0hk attacks that take the fun out of the boss fights. Single miss dodge and its all over. Blocking doesnt help since poise is broken already on first attack. Academy boss had few 0hk attacks, but south Caelid boss is so messy fight to begin with. I can easily get it to 25 health, especially with ashes of war which already feel like bit of cheating tbh. But then its one projectile or chain of attacks which a single one kills at 1, that's miss dodged and its over.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Okay, there is this guy on YouTube who makes RPG parodies with games like Elder Scrolls and the like, Joel Haver. He does stuff like this:

So Bandai Namco THEMSELVES asked him to do a parody video on Elden Ring and he obliged them. I love the guy's work and he really loved Bandai asking him a commission because he loves Souls games.

Top Bottom