• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Graciaus

45 hours zero issues on PC. 3 hours with a new patch and 2 crashes already. Both either on or going to the map. Good job From.

Majukun

after updating the drivers the game has become barely playable to me, with continuous stuttering, especially when the bosses rump up speed towards bthe end of their lifebar...
tried a couple of solutions found online but i'm still not sure they did anything...anyone has a solution?

speaking of the game

teleport traps

are a fun idea

45 hours zero issues on PC. 3 hours with a new patch and 2 crashes already. Both either on or going to the map. Good job From.
oh we got a patch? didn't even notice..maybe it's that instead of the drivers that made my game run like shit despite having no issues before?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I’m using the first Vagabond blade, upgraded to +3 with a Holy Blade skill, works quite well. Did Castle Mourne a whole back, me and a fellow spirit obliterated the boss.

I’m level 30, thinking of trying Godric.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Moving up in the world. FINALLY got pants.

20220302002132-1.jpg

Wretch life.

I'm sure most of you know this, but leaving a hint on the ground for other players is really useful

if you leave it in a high density area where lots of other players are sure to walk by, you can get a lot of appraisals

when you get an appraisal, it heals you

leave a helpful hint in a spot where lots of people are bound to go and you can sometimes get some heals at times you really need them

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'm sure most of you know this, but leaving a hint on the ground for other players is really useful

if you leave it in a high density area where lots of other players are sure to walk by, you can get a lot of appraisals

leave a helpful hint in a spot where lots of people are bound to go and you can sometimes get some heals at times you really need them

In addition to this good point, if you take the extra time to read a message, take the extra half a second to recommend it. I do this pretty much regardless of content unless its a blatant troll or another low-effort butt joke.

Might as well heal some fellow Tarnished since you already opened their message!

Finally got my Uchigatana to +25. And I got like 78 Dexterity lol. I expected a soft cap at 40 but nope, still getting 2.5 damage per level after that.
quick question, are you able to get
bells that allow you to buy resources to get it that high, or did you find the resources out in the wild?

Aesius

I’m using the first Vagabond blade, upgraded to +3 with a Holy Blade skill, works quite well. Did Castle Mourne a whole back, me and a fellow spirit obliterated the boss.

I’m level 30, thinking of trying Godric.
Longsword is always a beastly weapon in FromSoft games. If you go strength build, you can make it a Heavy Longsword and combine it with a Greatshield.

Freeman76

All i ever see is try jumping, finger but hole, and secret wall here lol! Very rarely is therr a useful message these days unfortunately, to the point I rarely read any now :(. The height was DS1 for this aspect of the series imo.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
All i ever see is try jumping, finger but hole, and secret wall here lol! Very rarely is therr a useful message these days unfortunately, to the point I rarely read any now :(. The height was DS1 for this aspect of the series imo.
Reddit memes killed that side of the game. That's why I always do my first playthrough offline, don't want to get distracted by the same memey phrases over and over.

Godric down and out, harder than expected even with fire resist, guess im underleveled here. Also anyone notice that if you die in the castle, you get less souls on retrieval. Thats bs.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I see a lot of troll messages, but I still see more helpful ones. Plus with a group password you can see those messages. You can have up to five of these I believe.

Actually Let's start that now. Let's make a NeoGAF Group Password (granted it won't be cross platform).

Black Chamber Black Chamber Maybe you could think of a password to add to the end of the OT?

Or maybe this needs its own topic?

I see a lot of troll messages, but I still see more helpful ones. Plus with a group password you can see those messages. You can have up to five of these I believe.

Actually Let's start that now. Let's make a NeoGAF Group Password (granted it won't be cross platform).

Black Chamber Black Chamber Maybe you could think of a password to add to the end of the OT?

Or maybe this needs its own topic?
not a bad idea, might be best to make its own topic so it gets as many eyes as possible. could easily be missed given that we are like 3000 posts deep in this thread.

Lunarorbit

I looked it p you are right. People seem to love that sword. Saw it creates blood loss, so I could use it.

I am always afraid to use smithing stones, because who knows if I will be able to get more.
There's a dagger that does blood loss damage that I got early. It scales with dexterity but if you look it up it's early on so not too spoilery. You need somber smiting stones to level it up fyi

Cyberpunkd

Longsword is always a beastly weapon in FromSoft games. If you go strength build, you can make it a Heavy Longsword and combine it with a Greatshield.
By heavy you mean to combine with an art of war or upgrade using a specific stone?

The sword from that boss looks mighty but has Str40 requirement.

Cyberpunkd

In addition to this good point, if you take the extra time to read a message, take the extra half a second to recommend it. I do this pretty much regardless of content unless its a blatant troll or another low-effort butt joke.

Might as well heal some fellow Tarnished since you already opened their message!
A message left in a good spot allowed me to progress through the dungeon, wouldn’t have figured it out otherwise.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
By heavy you mean to combine with an art of war or upgrade using a specific stone?

The sword from that boss looks mighty but has Str40 requirement.
There are whetstones hidden throughout the game that allow you to set additional characteristics like keen, heavy, etc. whenever you apply ashes to a weapon. Search Stormveil Castle for the first one.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
No Pants > Pants
I respect that. But I beat Argheel bottomless and I think my character is much happier now not to be naked and afraid.

To continue the message convo going on here - while there are tons of memey bs messages, often just the fact a message is there in the first place can be an indicator there's something going on. Huge concentration of messages usually means boss/trap/treasure/some kind of shenanigans are afoot. Likewise a lone glint of light from a message off the beaten path is more likely to be there for a reason rather than a meme.

If we do set up a PC GAF password, that's perfect timing for me. Eight hours in and just about to start session two. Brand new.

bender

What time is it?
I respect that. But I beat Argheel bottomless and I think my character is much happier now not to be naked and afraid.

To continue the message convo going on here - while there are tons of memey bs messages, often just the fact a message is there in the first place can be an indicator there's something going on. Huge concentration of messages usually means boss/trap/treasure/some kind of shenanigans are afoot. Likewise a lone glint of light from a message off the beaten path is more likely to be there for a reason rather than a meme.

If we do set up a PC GAF password, that's perfect timing for me. Eight hours in and just about to start session two. Brand new.

I wear chest armor, gauntlets and a helm. No pants. Ever. Never Ever. Never Ever Never.

No, I meant what I said.
then I think there is a whole mechanic I'm missing in this game lol

I found the whetstone knife outside of Stormfront gate, haven't found anything since

I can get another type of whestone knife in the castle?

how am I like 40 hours in and haven't realized this

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
then I think there is a whole mechanic I'm missing in this game lol

I found the whetstone knife outside of Stormfront gate, haven't found anything since

I can get another type of whestone knife in the castle?

how am I like 40 hours in and haven't realized this
Yes. Each whetstone you find gives you the ability to further customize your weapon's scaling and special damage types beyond what ashes give you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had a run in with Ancient Dragon Lansseax. Lansseax is a field boss that looks really cool, but I was one-shotted. I can handle the area, but that thing no way.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Sounds like whetstones are this game's version of infusion stones but are tied to ashes of war in which case ... maybe its less of a pain the ass to swap infusions?

Or I read that exchange wrong

Last edited:
Nope, it's an extra option when configuring your ashes.
so I found the unsheathe ash of war and applied it to both my katanas (I duplicated it using a lost ash of war)

that specific ash does grant keen without needing a specific whetstone knife

if I find the keen/dexterity special blade, can I apply 2 keens? or does it have a more efficient keen?

my uchi katana is i think +12 but only B scaling with the art of war that grants keen

would be amazing if I can get the scaling higher

sorry of this question is confusing, but some ash of war do grant affinities, wondering how that interacts with the specific affinity whet knifes if that makes sense

Braag

So you can give scrolls and prayer books to Miriel or to the NPCs who ask them. Dunno who to give them, does it change anything?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
so I found the unsheathe ash of war and applied it to both my katanas (I duplicated it using a lost ash of war)

if I find the keen/dexterity special blade, can I apply 2 keens? or does it have a more efficient keen?

my uchi katana is i think +12 but only B scaling with the art of war that grants keen

sorry of this question is confusing, but some ash of war do grant affinities, wondering how that interacts with the specific affinity whet knifes if that makes sense
It lets you override the built-in affinity so that you can use the skill with other affinity types.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Not sure about the whetstones/whetblades applying improved affinities (in terms of scaling), but I do know that the higher you upgrade a weapon then the scaling can get better.

Anyone playing on the ps4. I want to get a copy for my brother, and he has a ps4 and no internet. I just want to know how it would preform. He can get the update if he needs to.
Almost 30 hours into the base ps4 version so far, zero crashes. Framerate is pretty stable. I've had no issue with it. But I'm not a PC gamer so I don't really know what I'm missing 🤷‍♂️

It lets you override the built-in affinity so that you can use the skill with other affinity types.
got it, doesn't sound like it would help me much

my ash of war offers standard or keen affinity without using a special whet knife

it sounds like the benefit of the whet knife would be if I wanted to change the scaling of my katana to something like heavy or faith or int

then it would shine

pretty cool to allow some wonky builds, but I don't think it would increase my dex scaling. unless it applies a second instance of keen on top of the already existing keen, which I don't think it does
Not sure about the whetstones/whetblades applying improved affinities (in terms of scaling), but I do know that the higher you upgrade a weapon then the scaling can get better.
yeah it's gone up a bit, just not a lot

B might just be the highest I can get it to given that it is only +12

I think it started off with D before I upgraded it

Last edited:

Graciaus

after updating the drivers the game has become barely playable to me, with continuous stuttering, especially when the bosses rump up speed towards bthe end of their lifebar...
tried a couple of solutions found online but i'm still not sure they did anything...anyone has a solution?

speaking of the game

teleport traps

are a fun idea

oh we got a patch? didn't even notice..maybe it's that instead of the drivers that made my game run like shit despite having no issues before?
Yeah a small one this morning. Looking online there are some issues with it for some people.

Top Bottom