• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

jadefire66

I just wanna say that
Fire Giant
will cause a lot of people to smash their controllers like Demon of Hatred did. He took me the most tries upto this point at around 10 and being a mage was trash for this fight. Had to respec and use Moonvail as a int/dex build.

Weird, I beat this guy on my second attempt, didn't find him hard. I kinda just attacked his legs while on the horse and ran away when he was using spells. But I spent an hour and a half at Commander Niall shortly afterwards... prob died like 30 times lol.

Majukun

So..i think the performance issues for the game on pc are caused by the nvidia drivers.
So far didn't have many technical issues..sure a bit of lowish framerate on some instances but nothing absurd.

yesterday i made the mistake of updating my drivers..and now the game is unplayable, with many stutters and sometime straight up freeze that were not there before

any way to revert to the previous drivers?

kevm3

Everything you described is how I know when....brace yourself for this...that I the player am failing to win. It's not cheese, it's not an OP boss, it's you not dancing correctly with your partner

I feel like almost every other From game just had barriers where it was like, you'll get good and figure it out or never pass further. With this game there are so many opportunities/alternatives to any strategy, can't blame the game.
Except I'm not 'failing to win', given that I'm 50 hours in and have beaten tons of bosses already. Fighting bosses in this game feels much more of a slog.

kevm3

Can someone explain to me why weapon affinities like keen and quality actually seem to make the weapon do less damage than standard? Also under physical weapon damage, why are there two numbers? Like 95 + 33 for example?
One is the base damage and the other number is the scaling damage. The scaling damage is how much damage is done based on your stats. Keen and quality probably are low for you because you probably have low dexterity. Look at how the ratings for the weapons change when you equip those affinities. For example if strength goes from c to b, that particular affinity makes damage scale better the higher your strength is.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

In a perfect world, Elden Ring would set the precedent for all the other open world games to come, or at least inspire other devs to make their worlds like From does.

We need more exploration, and more games like Morrowind, BOTW and Elden Ring.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
What is that curved greatsword I see a lot of phantoms using. I may need to go find it. I think I need some stronger weapons. I keep getting my butt handed to me at the globe place. After trying that a bunch I went the other direction found an underground river full of friendly ants. Took care of them, only to find a Dragon that made me look silly.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game's so good... No session goes without discovering something or some kind of "oh shit!" moment.

Also, that enemy design in the rotten lands to the east... Holy shit, I don't know of those are big dogs, or little T-rexes. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
What is that curved greatsword I see a lot of phantoms using. I may need to go find it. I think I need some stronger weapons. I keep getting my butt handed to me at the globe place. After trying that a bunch I went the other direction found an underground river full of friendly ants. Took care of them, only to find a Dragon that made me look silly.

It's probably Bloodhound Fang. Dropped by Darriwil at the Forlon Hound Evergaol.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
It's probably Bloodhound Fang. Dropped by Darriwil at the Forlon Hound Evergaol.
I looked it p you are right. People seem to love that sword. Saw it creates blood loss, so I could use it.

I am always afraid to use smithing stones, because who knows if I will be able to get more.

SJRB

Gold Member
I looked it p you are right. People seem to love that sword. Saw it creates blood loss, so I could use it.

I am always afraid to use smithing stones, because who knows if I will be able to get more.

There are mines in pretty much every large area where you can find quite a lot. Look on the map for a icon that resembles a black circle with orange glow. There's one to the east of where you start.

Lunarorbit

So I smoked some weed and was watching the Celtics play the hawks last night and decided to try playing at half time.

Nope. Obviously not a good idea. Right away rats we're killing me cause I was being impatient. I thought I'd just dick around in the early game area but my reaction time was horrible.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hardest fight for me so far was fighting those Duo Abductor's after getting "eaten" by one and transported to the lava area below the Volcano Manor.

Also finally figured out how to actually get to the manor. I was searching for a long ass time and the way was right in front of me the entire time.

Aesius

I’m not sure what happened but I found a big bloody blob looking thing last night in a ruins. I killed it and I’m pretty sure it transformed into a red dog (either that or the red dog came out of nowhere) which was powerful as hell and killed me in one hit.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's up with spirit summoning being inconsistent, some times I can't pull my wolves or whatever in a boss I could do so in other tries (in others never), then more often than not I can't summon again if they die (with replenished FP), are there hidden cooldowns and rules or is it just random?

Anyway, finally beat Margit and making some progress, seems like an OP boss compared to what you've fought up to that point and also what comes after in the castle (but I guess there will be more tough situations in there eventually).

I've explored quite a bit while I couldn't make real progress and this is the first area that feels intricately designed & Souls-like, other small castles, catacombs etc., had glimpses where they weren't just a straight path and required falls and jumps with tricky enemy placement, but not so much...

Last edited:

Doom85

After hearing Brian Altano on IGN podcasts, perhaps he should take the lesson himself from time to time. Brap brap.

What are you talking about? Brian always has wise words to say. It’s not like he’s most famous for being part of a meme where he said* some ignorant shit about classic Sonic games…..

*I’m aware another IGN guy specifically said the infamous “Sonic was never good” line but Brian began the conversation saying “we need to admit this was never a great franchise”. I always hate that phrase, “we need to admit”, anyone who says it sounds like so insecure, like they can’t handle just having their own opinion and need everyone to agree, oh sorry “admit”, with what they’re saying.

Last edited:

SCB3

Found some more tunnels to get some upgrade materials and now have a Bastard Sword +4 and a Zweihander

Then back to kill the Tree Sentinal, easy enough as to where next, theres a big tree on the map I've not investigated yet

One is the base damage and the other number is the scaling damage. The scaling damage is how much damage is done based on your stats. Keen and quality probably are low for you because you probably have low dexterity. Look at how the ratings for the weapons change when you equip those affinities. For example if strength goes from c to b, that particular affinity makes damage scale better the higher your strength is.

Ah that makes sense thanks.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I finally found Patches in the early area. I had literally been in that location and seemingly left before getting to him.

TintoConCasera

I think I have an addiction problem, wasn't this hooked to a game since... ever? :lollipop_content:

I dread the idea of finishing the game. After this everything's going to feel so bland.

After following the main story path all the way to the Godrick, I've been having a blast just exploring all the rest of Limgrave and Stormhill. So many cool locations, secrets and items. Fought my first dragon, then a gigantic golem come to life, a haunted village with an undead ferryman, found some insane jump boosts for my horse. And it's nice to explore areas that are a little more forgiving after getting regularly violated in Stormveil castle.

Also, the more of the game I play, the more the visuals are blowing me away. The vistas, the subtle lighting changes, the reflections, the weather and time changes - the game is gorgeous.

Once you play Elden Ring come back to this thread and admit how wrong you were. This tops BB in every single dept.

It isn't a fair comparison. After playing this game and seeing footage, Elden Ring is a culmination of every other Souls game From Software has made.

-A safe haven area outside of the cruel overworld that has a bunch of companions who help out with different gameplay features, that also helps expand and flesh out the story, is from Demon's Souls.

-The interconnected world that has a really good way of shortcutting back into safe areas and the fact that endurance is back to leveling up load again, is from Dark Souls 1.

-The odd yet beautiful nature of the world and how you could find a world with a sky below another world(even though it doesn't make sense geographically), the amazing art, and the usage of more gimmick bosses and giants, is from Dark Souls 2.

-Bosses who do more circular sweep attacks, feints, and have increased mobility, the FP system, and also amazing weapon arts system, while not as cool as trick weapons from Bloodborne, are all from Dark Souls 3.

-The dungeons you find around the game's world is due to what they've learned using the Chalice Dungeon feature in Bloodborne.

-Jumping, Stealth now being a viable system, and 2handed(especially 2handed katanas) now having a more viable block, and a way to time your block so that you can instantly parry after by using heavy attack, is from Sekiro.

I'm sure I'm missing some features but you get the idea. This feels like an end goal the director and studio all wanted to reach, but they wanted to make sure everything was ironed out and implemented correctly before reaching the goal. It really makes me wonder what's next.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I DID IT YALL!!!!

Note: first souls, this is all I've done in the game, no level up, no horse, no exploring, no nothing. Just this.... And it still feels so good lol

Holy shit man you've been trying this for awhile! Awesome you finally got the bastard.

Congrats! Nicely done.

Future Souls-addict right here people.

OsirisBlack

Banned
So after the tutorial I’ve been playing this game without the HUD active and man is it immersive and a lot more difficult but I think I’m actually learning my way around and finding things I wouldn’t have otherwise found. It also helps you remember how much verticality there is in this world and it’s not just for the sake of. Absolutely outstanding level design. I’ve only beaten margit, godric and the moon lady. Taking my time.

No spoilers

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Can someone explain to me why weapon affinities like keen and quality actually seem to make the weapon do less damage than standard? Also under physical weapon damage, why are there two numbers? Like 95 + 33 for example?
The first number is the base damage - the basic damage the weapon does - the second number is the scaling damage - the damage that is directly linked to one (or more) of your stat values. This is usually strength or dex but can be any stat.

General idea of leveling a weapon, is that that first number is most important during the very early game. Since your base stats will be low you won't get much of a damage boost from scaling damage. In past games the Raw Infusion would basically double your base damage and you could wreck things early on, but soon that weapon would be useless as you level your stats higher and higher.

Basically, base damage is on the left and important early on, scaling damage is on the right and will be your primary source of damage as you level up a lot, and the total of the two numbers is the damage you are actually dealing.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Anyone playing on the ps4. I want to get a copy for my brother, and he has a ps4 and no internet. I just want to know how it would preform. He can get the update if he needs to.

Reyziak

95 is the base damage, the +33 is from the stat scaling. As for why the affinities made the weapons do less damage: Heavy, Keen, and Quality improve the stat scaling while lowering the base damage of the weapon.

Heavy makes weapons scale more with Strength, Keen makes weapons scale more with Dexterity, and Quality makes weapons scale more with both stats.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Has to be said this game shows how low inspiration DS3 really was.

I mean ER is arguably even more beholden to past entries than DS3 was, but with this Miyazaki has successfully made it its own thing. Its also nice that he's finally really been able to scratch that Ueda-style itch that got him into game-dev in the first place.

Anyone playing on the ps4. I want to get a copy for my brother, and he has a ps4 and no internet. I just want to know how it would preform. He can get the update if he needs to.
It plays totally fine. That's the version I'm playing and zero issues so far. Only noticed one instance of slowdown and it was like an enemy doing a cartwheel in the distance, so it was more funny than anything. Have roughly 15 hours in and it's been a pure delight.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Do we know at what point stats start giving less benefits when leveling up? Is it at 40?

kevm3

I'm starting to feel some of the bosses are designed around summons. I was planning on trying to beat the game without any summons, but I decided to summon the NPC for Godrick and it made that fight way more fun. I think the bosses speed and ability to chain together long combos are designed to avoid making having a companion too easy.

who has the best tutorial/intro video for a new player never playing any of this nonsense before?

This is a decent one.

Biggest mistake that people make is just plowing into the game thinking they can tank enemies from the get-go.

Be smart, be cautious. Keep your distance and wait for openings. I can't really speak to maximizing leveling, I usually focus on strength and dexterity but I like to have a good balance.

Just explore and utilize the horse, it gets unlocked pretty early into the game, it allows you to explore and retreat when things get hairy. You really don't need to take on massive enemies if you don't want to. I beat the first boss and it was rough but I'm just exploring and level grinding now. It's so chill and fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What's up with spirit summoning being inconsistent, some times I can't pull my wolves or whatever in a boss I could do so in other tries (in others never), then more often than not I can't summon again if they die (with replenished FP), are there hidden cooldowns and rules or is it just random?
I've also been wondering this. Seems to be very random.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You can’t use ashes if you activate a coop finger item, even if you don’t summon a player with it. It can be reset, but if you’re at a stake of marika the best way I’ve found is to leave a summon sign to help someone else. When you get back from their world you will be able to use ashes again. Handy if you can’t find a co-op partner after using the item. That or die to the boss, but helping someone else can net you a rune arc.

Top Bottom