• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

I was also wondering if it makes any difference what your equip load is outside of being in light, medium, or heavy equip load

I get that each of those 3 have a big difference, but does it make any difference to be medium but very close to light vs medium but almost heavy equip load? or is the only thing that matters whether you fall into one of those 3 categories

wondering if I should always be trying to wear max armor without hitting heavy. currently I try to get to as close to heavy as possible without going over

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Does anyone know the scaling on weapon enchantments? I can never seem to output more with lightning weapon than just addin holy to a weapon.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I was also wondering if it makes any different what your equip load is outside of being in light, medium, or heavy equip load

I get that each of those 3 have a big difference, but does it make any difference to be medium but very close to light vs medium but almost heavy equip load? or is the only thing that matters whether you fall into one of those 3 categories

wondering if I should always be trying to wear max armor without hitting heavy. currently I try to get to as close to heavy as possible without going over
It only matters if you fall into those 3 (maybe 4 if you can't roll lol). A medium encumbrance closer to light is not better in any way compared to closer to heavy.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh I've made it to the (ending area spoilers ?)
Beaten 2 sentinels. Gate was closed so I found an entry on the left side guarded by mega tree sentnel. He was not too bad.
It's crazy how I learned to fight the horse guys. The man was impossible for hours after starting the game :p
I am yet to fins smithing stones 6 though... using heavy flamberge an thinking about going for something colossal.
+16. Any idea where to get smithing stones 6 before I progress? I only sat at the first grace past giga chad sentinel. Game is amazing... to hard a bit but huge and amazing

Bragr

Banned
Was at around level 25-30, got through the first castle, Godfrick smashed my ass. I tried so many times, and eventually, I got so angry I went back into the lands and spent 2 days grinding to level 50 and completely destroyed the motherfucker like I was playing Assassins Creed 2.

I want to take a moment to say that this is becoming my GOAT

open world games are my favorite genre. recently I've found myself on the defensive as there seems to be a lot of hate for the open world genre over the past few years.

this is exactly why open world is my favorite genre. it does EVERYTHING right. the whole argument that open world games are inherently trash because it allows for lazy development of the over world goes out the window.

it is truly mind boggling the amount of detail and generally how DENSE the world is. by dense I mean items that are actually meaningful item/loot to find (unlike korok seed number 356), diverse enemies (unlike having the world populated with like 5 monster types and the only ones with an interesting move set being Lynels), amazing world design, etc. (I should add that I love BoTW, but this game is on a whole different level when compared to open world games)

I would put this game up there with The Witcher 3. I never beat Witcher 3 as I am waiting for the next gen upgrade, but I put about 40 hours into it. It is hard to compare the two, Witcher 3 is superior when it comes to story, the writing and side quests. Elden Ring does pretty much everything else better. Elden Ring on the other hand has gave me feelings I haven't felt since...well since before I can remember.

the size of this game and the amount of shit there is to do is mind boggling. it makes me wonder how the fuck the initial reviewers were able to do any sort of meaningful review after a 50 hour play through. just clearing the beginning area of Limgrave can take you +20 hours.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally beat that Commander O'Neil boss, maybe I was too under level but I felt like was barely doing any damage to him but most annoying part about that fight was his summons.
200.gif

I'm kind of regretting go for Dex build, most weapon I'm getting are mostly Str build so I'm still using Uchigatana.

Finally beat that Commander O'Neil boss, maybe I was too under level but I felt like was barely doing any damage to him but most annoying part about that fight was his summons.
200.gif

I'm kind of regretting go for Dex build, most weapon I'm getting are mostly Str build so I'm still using Uchigatana.
I'm going dex as well. you can always respec but I like the Uchigatana. it is my understanding that bleed is viable all the way through the end game. I dual wield them against bosses and bleed procs incredibly fast. granted I'm only in my mid 40s but it is working well. it also doesn't require somber stones so it is cheaper to upgrade.

I'm sure there are other amazing dex weapons hidden in the world. I heard that there are some amazing katanas out there in the world.

and for my fellow samurais (armor spoiler):

there is supposedly a white set of samurai armor hidden somewhere...super excited to find it

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I would put this game up there with The Witcher 3. I never beat Witcher 3 as I am waiting for the next gen upgrade, but I put about 40 hours into it. It is hard to compare the two, Witcher 3 is superior when it comes to story, the writing and side quests. Elden Ring does pretty much everything else better. Elden Ring on the other hand has gave me feelings I haven't felt since...well since before I can remember.
Elden Ring game mechanics with writing and NPC interaction like TW3 would be my perfect game. I think Elden Ring reminds me more of BoTW than TW3, though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I ended up going a Dex build as well (which I seemingly always end up doing my first time through a Souls game). I'm rocking the standard spear that is currently +14 and so far it's been great. The impaling thrust Ash of War/Skill is fantastic. Still not as good as my Red Hilted Halberd from DS3 though.

I do constantly find Str scaling weapons though and I'll eventually do a Str build playthrough as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm at 20 dex/16 str for weapon and shield requirements, then full int for casting and weapon scaling. Could probably drop to 16 dex but there's a cool rapier with 20 dex requirement I'm keeping on-hand for duels. At least 16 in both attributes is a good idea. Arcane requirements are becoming common as well for exotic weapons later on. Might throw a few points there eventually.

This is my first From game. i'm 27 hours in and loving it. Are they all this good? what have I beeing missing!
I've played Demon Souls and DS3

while I consider both of those great, they didn't click for me in nearly the same way this did

I think I needed the balance of having an over world I could relax and chill in while exploring

these games can be stressful af for me, being able to take a break to forage for materials or just explore beautiful areas is much needed for me

Last edited:
Finally got my Uchigatana to +25. And I got like 78 Dexterity lol. I expected a soft cap at 40 but nope, still getting 2.5 damage per level after that.
Dexterity = 20/50/80
"Attribute boosts attack power of dexterity-scaling armaments, reduces casting time of spells, softens fall damage, and makes it harder to be knocked off your horse."
STR and DEX appear to be fairly heavily front loaded with your greatest gains coming in on the way to 20, with slower growth between 20 and 50, and very little growth past that but yes it takes an even steeper decline after 80. I'll need to check some A and S rank weapons to be sure tho
Recommendation: If you use it; take it to 20 asap, then focus on survivability/utility before coming back and making the push for 50, I do not think 80 is a worthwhile goal

Mato

I'm about 17 hours in. I defeated Godrick a while a go. My interest is eroding and for the last 3-4 hours I have been wandering aimlessly discovering new graces, trying to get a sense of progress and accomplishment . Any ideas where I should be heading next?

good to know, I took mine to 30, focusing now on Vigor, Endurance and Mind

anyone else pumping mind with their melee character? it seems like the weapon arts are so damn good its worth it

and I feel like the more FP bar you have, the more bang for your buck you get while allocating a flask to FP

Ogbert

Gold Member
Still loving the game but my basic frustration with Souls games is starting to nag at me. I hate having to lock into a build so early. The gameplay doesn’t change from about level 15 to end game.

Freeman76

So Ive finsihed the Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula areas, expanding out to the North and East (trying to figure which to tackle first) and the areas seem a lot less densely packed with things to discover. I hope this picks back up again and they didnt put more effort into Limgrave than anything else (im sure they didnt but you never know)

zkorejo

There's a fuckin
Kraken
in the water under stormveil castle?

I fell to my death and right behind me a huge
tentacle
emerged from water. Please tell me it's optional.

Cracklox

Ok, so I've just started to rip into this. I've gone in totally blind after seeing the original announce trailer so know next to zero about anything. Have beaten all the other From games though so I had some idea what to expect. Also haven't read much of the thread so far. Sorry, not sorry.

Anyway, I feel like I might've taken a wrong turn.

After mostly following the main path and getting my ass handed to me by the first proper boss at level 15 for about an hour , I thought I'd go for an explore and get a few more levels in the process. That was going well enough until I ended up in Sellia via a damn trapped chest. I'm clearly not meant to be here this early. Or at least a pretty shitty player like me isn't meant to be.

This place is fucked and I have no idea how to get out. Not allowed to fast travel, so I've just been running like hell from everything trying to find an exit. Also
a giant malnourished rabid doggo killed a wizard npc dude when I was hiding in his shack. We had a chat while that thing was going crazy outside, he asked me to do some shit, then it clipped though the wall and killed him. I was still safe in my spot, but I'm assuming his death messes something up?

Is there an easy way out? Or would it be easier to restart? Which I was sort of leaning towards. The main path wasn't so bad and I reckon I can clear back to where I was pretty fast plus I also wouldn't mind trying out something that can use some spells a bit earlier.

Is there an easy way out? Or would it be easier to restart? Which I was sort of leaning towards. The main path wasn't so bad and I reckon I can clear back to where I was pretty fast plus I also wouldn't mind trying out something that can use some spells a bit earlier.
if you walk out of the shack and immediately head left and down, you can make a run for it towards the tunnel, there is a grace site right there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So Ive finsihed the Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula areas, expanding out to the North and East (trying to figure which to tackle first) and the areas seem a lot less densely packed with things to discover. I hope this picks back up again and they didnt put more effort into Limgrave than anything else (im sure they didnt but you never know)
No shortage of content whatsoever after Limgrave.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok, so I've just started to rip into this. I've gone in totally blind after seeing the original announce trailer so know next to zero about anything. Have beaten all the other From games though so I had some idea what to expect. Also haven't read much of the thread so far. Sorry, not sorry.

Anyway, I feel like I might've taken a wrong turn.

After mostly following the main path and getting my ass handed to me by the first proper boss at level 15 for about an hour , I thought I'd go for an explore and get a few more levels in the process. That was going well enough until I ended up in Sellia via a damn trapped chest. I'm clearly not meant to be here this early. Or at least a pretty shitty player like me isn't meant to be.

This place is fucked and I have no idea how to get out. Not allowed to fast travel, so I've just been running like hell from everything trying to find an exit. Also
a giant malnourished rabid doggo killed a wizard npc dude when I was hiding in his shack. We had a chat while that thing was going crazy outside, he asked me to do some shit, then it clipped though the wall and killed him. I was still safe in my spot, but I'm assuming his death messes something up?

All you need to do is find a site of grace to rest at and your fast travel will unlock. There is one at the entrance to the cave you were teleported to. No need to start over. Try a mix of stealth and sprinting if you can't handle the enemies.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait, the Erdtree Sentinel dropt only 3200 runes? Are you serious?

What a waste of time that was.

Last edited:

Cracklox

All you need to do is find a site of grace to rest at and your fast travel will unlock. There is one at the entrance to the cave you were teleported to. No need to start over. Try a mix of stealth and sprinting if you can't handle the enemies.

Hmmm. I found a grace site after that 1st cave where you come in. I swear I checked after that and it still wasn't letting me travel back to the first map. I prob messed up though. There may have been a few beers involved while playing. I'll check again later

if you walk out of the shack and immediately head left and down, you can make a run for it towards the tunnel, there is a grace site right there.

Went the other way and got chased down by a giant crow and pecked to death instead. Good times

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hmmm. I found a grace site after that 1st cave where you come in. I swear I checked after that and it still wasn't letting me travel back to the first map. I prob messed up though. There may have been a few beers involved while playing. I'll check again later

Went the other way and got chased down by a giant crow and pecked to death instead. Good times
You may have been in combat still. You can fast travel while sitting down in the site of grace to prevent that.

am I really supposed to go from Rennala to the draconic tree sentinel? I get that I am pretty under leveled and should take my time exploring, but is there an easier boss I'm missing as my next story boss encounter? just wondering what I should expect next

Rennala was easy enough, whereas the draconic tree sentinel can 1 shot kill me with a lightning attack that seems impossible to dodge while on the horse

Last edited:

Durien

I love this game. I hope all Souls games are open world going forward. I only beat the first Lord, but my 2 biggest complaints are, make side dungeons bigger and please mark quest givers on the map lol I completed a quest for someone then spent 20 minutes on horseback trying to remember where I found him LOL

You're going to look back on this comment and laugh.

I'm far from finished and I just can't put it into words. I never imagined that it would be what it's been.

I love this game. I hope all Souls games are open world going forward. I only beat the first Lord, but my 2 biggest complaints are, make side dungeons bigger and please mark quest givers on the map lol I completed a quest for someone then spent 20 minutes on horseback trying to remember where I found him LOL
I've gotten into the habit of marking all quest givers with an icon when I find them. saves a huge amount of time.

I recently started doing the same with vendors you run into. wish I started doing that earlier.

jadefire66

quick question, are you able to get
bells that allow you to buy resources to get it that high, or did you find the resources out in the wild?

I think the bell that allows you to buy +7 and +8 smithing stones is too far into the game, past the "point of no return" or something like that so I didn't get it. I found the majority of these in the .

edit: my spoiler tags are not working, I can't see my spoiler text lmao. maybe you can see my text if you try to quote me cause I can see it when I edit the post, but it doesn't appear on the page

Last edited:

iorek21

Well, there’s no way around it, this game is already this decade’s Witcher 3; it’ll be copied as hell in the following years (hopefully devs keep the minimal waypoints design).

Having played HFW for a week before dropping it for Elden Ring, I can say that it’ll be hard to return to these “question marks on map” kind of exploration; even Ghost of Tsushima is now a little bland since it never really dropped the “Follow the wind/bird/fox/question mark” for its exploration.

Also, 2022 is already finished for the GOTY, there’s no way in hell anything else surpasses Elden Ring, not even Ragnarok (and I’m hyped as fuck for this one).

OT but it will be interesting to see what the next Elder Scrolls game will look like in a post-Elden Ring world (or most open world rpgs for that matter).

JRW

Wow this just happened, I died while fighting the Leonine Misbegotten boss and as the "You Died" screen was displaying my Jellyfish summon delivered the final blow and the boss died, as the screen was fading to black I saw the "GREAT ENEMY FELLED" for just a brief second and when returning to the area he was gone, luckily the game is aware of this potentially happening and the item he drops & earned souls were in my inventory (y)

SJRB

Gold Member
It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that they created such a massive world that's also so incredibly detailed. It's like there are 10 Dark Souls games in this game.

It's an incredible achievement, for sure. The world is so overwhelmingly large, dense and well-crafted. No matter where you are, there's always something visually interesting happening - an amazing vista in the background, crazy architecture, verticality never before seen in an open world game.

Masterclass of videogame development.

Top Bottom