• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Cyberpunkd

The enchantment system is needlessly opaque, also you have no clear indication what enemies in a given location are vulnerable to.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can't believe how well From kept the Souls level design intact going to an open-world.
Yeah, one of my big criticism against open world games like Ghost of Tsushima and first Horizon is that there is too much copy paste busy work that not worth exploring, meanwhile Elden Ring is complete opposite of that type of design.

NickFire

It's a sexual innuendo that goes back to the original Dark Souls where people would leave similar messages.

"Finger the butthole", you know what I mean.
Thank you. :messenger_tears_of_joy: - I wasn't sure if it was GoT joke I missed, or something to do with the Dark Souls / Bloodbourne game.

DeaDPo0L84

Loving the grafted greatsword, have it at +5 and seem pretty viable to the point where I'm at which is pretty far. Working on getting the wolf armor which is through a pretty extensive quest line.

Also...add fucking native ultrawide support and unlocked framerate and fix the disconnect issues in coop, had it happen multiple times fighting a damn open world boss and it was annoying as hell.

haxan7

Banned
I hope FromSoft gives us years of DLC content for this.
slurp GIF

RafterXL

This is probably common knowledge by now, but if you've taken damage but are at full vials, when you kill the last enemy in a group you can immediately use a vial. The heal will go off before the refill mechanic and you'll be full vials and full health.

I do this all the time to top myself off without ever reducing my vial count.

EruditeHobo

I was putting together a fun rogue/bleed build, and wanted to try out the skill on that bloody dagger from the PVP encounter. So I need +3 arcane, which is ok because I was thinking it would be interesting to fold in some of the more fun magic... but instead I somehow went +3 on faith, just by sheer inattention. What an embarrassment. (n)

SJRB

Gold Member
I wish I could send Yuka Kutamura, Tsukasa Saitoh and the rest of the music team a thank you note or something.

The music is so amazing. Aside from the hub areas in previous games this is arguably the first time they had to create a lot of ambient music and they fucking NAILED it. Limgrave, Leyndell, Roundtable Hold, Stormveil, Liurnia, every single theme is memorable.

I can listen to Leyndell on a loop for hours. So sick.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I just lost 46,000 runes in the boss room at the end of Dragonborrow Cave.

Reaction Ok GIF

Great job, Ailynn!
So smart! Much brain!

I really can't stand having to fight two bosses at once...especially when even blocking with a good shield still gives you bleeding damage. I guess I'll come back when I'm level 100+. :messenger_expressionless:

Majukun

update ruined the game for me...the stuttering has become unbearable, especially because it increases the faster the enemies goes, transforming a tough but fairr game in a frustrating mess, where you can end up dead without even see what killed you because the enemies animations last a couple frames and the game skips them altogether.

it's a shame because the first couple days i had no issues whatsoever...now i'm actually thinking about stop playing the game until they solve this mess

Freeman76

No shortage of content whatsoever after Limgrave.

Shortly after i read this i gathered the 3 map frags for Lurnia of the Lake and immediately realised I was wrong. I cannot fathom how they have made this game so huge, yet also so well detailed and realised. It makes Red Dead 2 look tame even, and they have lot less money and manpower than roxkstar, and wasnt this in development for like half the time red dead 2 was? Incredible!! The one game I want a season pass for to know there will be dlc doesnt have one, crazy.

haxan7

Banned
I just lost 46,000 runes in the boss room at the end of Dragonborrow Cave.

Reaction Ok GIF

Great job, Ailynn!
So smart! Much brain!

I really can't stand having to fight two bosses at once...especially when even blocking with a good shield still gives you bleeding damage. I guess I'll come back when I'm level 100+. :messenger_expressionless:
What a badass you must be to go up against a boss carrying that big a sack of runes

SCB3

Few more bosses down and I think I'm done with the South Peninsula area, the Catacomb areas are super short and remind me so much of the Chalice Dungeons, not a bad thing but fuck those bleed causing Imps, such a pain in the ass. Leonine Misbegotten was a fun fight though if not a bit too easy

Also how do the Ash summons work? I has the Wolves light up for me on one boss but died and came back and suddenly I couldn't use them again? Is it on a timer?

Chiggs

Gold Member

I get the feeling they'll want to support it for awhile, given the time it took to make it and the overall size of it. I kind of hope they mirror Ubisoft's support of Assassin's Creed.

GermanZepp

This game....
I tell you. Kill Margit, keep exploring the castle through rooftops until checkpoint, go leveling up, kill invasor, encounter those damn three avatars, talk to some dude in the round table and get teleported to the beast guy into a corner of the map.
The magic spells at int. 23 not worth it. Reduvia dagger +3 saving my ass.

Last edited:
I've been having a great time with the game, but it annoys me to no end that they introduced Stakes of Marika but then decide to just... not use them in a lot of situations. I have had to run through these dumb catacombs over and over to fight an annoying boss because there's no checkpoint. They're just wasting my time and testing my patience.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Raise your vigor and endurance and it’ll be far less of a problem.
I will follow my lost grace and do that. I have been neglecting it a lot as I pumped a lot in to DEX and INT. I do notice that my endurance drops when casting quite quickly so need to farm a bit. I’m level 34 and still in Limgrave…… haven’t beat Godrick yet even. I think I need to start thinking about going through stormveil as I have explored a lot to the south.

well this is kinda a big deal for me: just found out Aeonian Butterflies do NOT respawn

these are pretty rare to begin with. they're used to craft rot items. I made some rot arrows which I absolutely loved but burned through them quickly thinking I could just make more.

I've tried everything to get these butterflies to respawn again. nothing worked.

rot is incredibly powerful in this game so I'm not too shocked, hoping that these are at least a drop on a certain enemy type. would be a bit crappy if I can't ever make rot arrows again.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wow the atmosphere and amazing views of the capital are incredible. From outdid themselves.
It is so somber that it kinda introduced me in this weird sad mood.
And the boss of that area is down too!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This don’t need no dlc. The game is huge and will be explored for years.
Lol too think that dark souls 1 took me over 50 hours to beat it in 2011 on 360. Haha. It is small in comparison

I ended up finding a treasure that's a transport trap and it sent me far, far away from the starting continent. Before warping back to where I left off I decided to take a look around and I won't spoil anything, but some of the things they want you to fight in combat later on in the game...good lord. Either the progression and upgrade system goes way further than I thought or they must give you some sort of story-based megaman super saiyan power up to handle this.

Soodanim

Also how do the Ash summons work? I has the Wolves light up for me on one boss but died and came back and suddenly I couldn't use them again? Is it on a timer?
Summons have an FP cost. That and the gravestone icon on the left are the only requirements

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I ended up finding a treasure that's a transport trap and it sent me far, far away from the starting continent. Before warping back to where I left off I decided to take a look around and I won't spoil anything, but some of the things they want you to fight in combat later on in the game...good lord. Either the progression and upgrade system goes way further than I thought or they must give you some sort of story-based megaman super saiyan power up to handle this.
Dude it is crazy later on. I think I am there in now. Madness.
This game is difficult af

Last edited:

NickFire

I am really not happy with this game right now. Fell asleep last night playing and got hit with the auto save not actually saving bug. I just lost a ton of grinding progress and some real progress. FML

i searched and found an article saying new patch corrected it. God I hope so.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
My PS5 wouldn't wake from a sleep today so I had to hard reset. I lost all the progress from my Elden Ring adventures yesterday. My PS+ hasn't backed up since the 26th. Feels bad man.

NickFire

My PS5 wouldn't wake from a sleep today so I had to hard reset. I lost all the progress from my Elden Ring adventures yesterday. My PS+ hasn't backed up since the 26th. Feels bad man.
Hey I had to manually turn mine on too a little bit ago. I figured power went out at some point since last night. Now I’m not so sure. This sucks. But they did patch it today so hopefully it’s fixed. Still gonna try to remember to save though

FunkMiller

Have discovered a new condition:

Explorannoyance.

That feeling you have when you stumble upon something really cool in Elden Ring, only to see that two days later it's being shown to everyone on websites and YouTube videos.

Case in point: the
meteorite
staff.

I found that fucker all on my own, and now everyone knows about it :messenger_loudly_crying:

bender

What time is it?
Hey I had to manually turn mine on too a little bit ago. I figured power went out at some point since last night. Now I’m not so sure. This sucks. But they did patch it today so hopefully it’s fixed. Still gonna try to remember to save though

Luckily I remember where almost everything is except for a Stone Sword Key I found on a cliff....somewhere. Still losing 60K souls, a boss and a bunch of exploration blows.

FunkMiller

One of my favourite moments in the game.

"Here's what you're going to be fighting in about thirty hours fucker.... better get upgrading that shit!"

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just beat Godric. Game keeps getting weirder and more Souls-like. But it's good I spent ages exploring the starting regions and side progression, it hit different. I've got all sorts of new weapons and shit and I'm not sure which to go for after investing so much of my stats and stones for plain old swords and greatswords. I did just increase my dexterity to check out some spears and axes and what not. The weapons that seem most impressive/special also require faith however. I can check their moves even without that but I guess maybe their special doesn't quite work at all. It also seems special weapons are even more of a commitment to level than others because of the rarer materials needed. I used my first ash, storm wall on a shield that had nothing. Since I suck at counters I'm not sure I did well, it was handy to use the weapon special without going two handed.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
what is Goodrich second phase? Lmao. I’m at rn 32 and getting my ass kicked. Time to explore more of the world I guess. But I think I’m going to stop for a few days and continue HFW. I need a break

This don’t need no dlc. The game is huge and will be explored for years.
Lol too think that dark souls 1 took me over 50 hours to beat it in 2011 on 360. Haha. It is small in comparison
I'm rarely in favor of DLC, even for games I like. But, I don't want this game to ever end. I'll buy everything I can to make this world larger with more content.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
what is Goodrich second phase? Lmao. I’m at rn 32 and getting my ass kicked. Time to explore more of the world I guess. But I think I’m going to stop for a few days and continue HFW. I need a break
I found him easier to dodge in the second phase, managed to beat him even though my spirit and npc summons died at that point, his first phase would have wrecked me without them. But yeah you gotta get hit a few times to learn all he does, especially the grab animation, but then you can roll dodge most of it and get behind him to attack before he starts a new animation, also dodge the twist to his ground pummel which now aims for you rather than just be a short radius all around him. Speaking of which, is it ok to let npc summons die, or will they be dead forever even if you're victorious (at least for those meant to reappear for their story)? This particular npc was fine after that but maybe they scripted it this way and elsewhere you will miss out on stuff? I seem to recall it being like that on occasion in previous Souls but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, does the game use variable rate shading or something? Distant stuff can look really fuzzy and I don't think it's aliasing shimmering on things like grass. Some times I don't notice it but in certain areas it's an eye sore and some times I see it bad in my screenshots even though I didn't playing.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I think my biggest criticism the more I play is how annoying a lot of bosses are to fight. The fact many of them move or attack so fast and can hit you with 5+ combos that blow past your stamina bar and they can spam their special attacks over and over make it such a slog to fight them because you just have to wait for a tiny opening, get a hit or two in and then roll, block, roll, roll, block, get a hit or two in. To make the fights tolerable and not take forever without summoning, you need to try to poison the boss or maybe use blood loss. Their ultra fast auto tracking also eliminates a lot of strategic movement because they are almost always facing you and the long range attacks that somehow let them stretch out like Dhalsim are annoying as well. I don't remember boss fights in the original Dark Souls being this annoying.
Use a shield. Elden Ring gimped dodging like in Sekiro.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Shortly after i read this i gathered the 3 map frags for Lurnia of the Lake and immediately realised I was wrong. I cannot fathom how they have made this game so huge, yet also so well detailed and realised. It makes Red Dead 2 look tame even, and they have lot less money and manpower than roxkstar, and wasnt this in development for like half the time red dead 2 was? Incredible!! The one game I want a season pass for to know there will be dlc doesnt have one, crazy.
I get the feeling this is why we see so many 3d assets, animations and so forth being reused from Dark Souls 3 (and earlier). Might've been a case of doubling down on making content and fitting it into the idea of the map they came up with. I am fine with that compromise if that was the case.

I also am incredibly impressed by the implementation of Torrent. Sure it's arcadey as all hell but it works well and I enjoy mounted combat. When I first heard the rumor From was adding a mount I was positive it would be the jankiest thing ever and I'm so thrilled to be wrong. Balancing everything around the idea of mounted/on foot encounters also must have been a monumental amount of work.

Top Bottom