• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Orbital2060

My Bandit SL 30

476817cf-21f7-401c-b1cyjly.png

962f53b5-1bf6-4839-99lsjgq.png

Was pleasantly surprised to see the Heater Shield again. I think this is pretty much the same gear as I started out with in Dark Souls 1. And also went with the Bandit class in DS2. Im used to building a DEX Pyro character like that, but now fire spells seem to be sorted under Faith based incantations. And no mention of pyromancy afaik, but a new stat in Arcane. The Bandit class starts out with 14 points in Arcane, and other than the Reduvia dagger I havent come across any Arcane school of spells. Assassin´s Crimson Dagger talisman for HP back on critical hits, which has worked really well when youre down on flasks and health and you can backstab one or two mobs to get full health back. And Green Turtle talisman for quicker stamina recovery.

7473b6e2-d01e-48a5-844cjaa.png

So its more like a DEX Arcane rogue class, but I dont know how the arcane part works out yet. It would be nice with some weapon magic so you dont have to farm materials for that.

SCB3

Some people will call summons "cheating" while Googling where to get the most powerful weapons and magic in the game and using exclusively them. Others will call summons "cheating" while shield tanking every boss. Don't sweat it.
If its in the game as a mechanic then its not cheating, who really gives a fuck if you summon to help fight a boss, its there for a reason

hell look at maybe doing a second run without summons later if you wanna feel some vindication

Ulysses 31

Do you remember where this was? I have to go back and finish that fight, but I can't remember where to go and forgot to mark it on the map.
Redmane Castle before Radahn but it's missable when you start the festival.

I wanted to get back to them also but the area is now empty... 👀

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Only The Batman could have disrupted my addiction to this game. Haven't played since Monday but I'm definitely hopping in this weekend. What a treat this month has been for me.

Literally the only other thing I'm doing this weekend is watching The Batman :messenger_tears_of_joy: probably won't finish ER but I should be close to credits after Sunday.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Does the game provide an infinite number of resources to upgrade weapons to +3?! Because my non-upgraded straight sword does jack shit of damage to the first boss but i don't want to waste finite resources to upgrade the first weapon i found in the game...

Also, where to put points for a str build that want to use skill weapons and maybe some light magic?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I should've taken the week off, honestly. Playing two hours an evening is terrible. Every time I get in the groove and run into something cool I have to stop.

Literally TGIF.

I dunno man, I played 10+ hours a day Fri/Sat/Sun and by Monday I was actually glad to reduce that to short evening sessions. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

I say that but all I'm gonna do this weekend is play Elden Ring and cook

AV

Does the game provide an infinite number of resources to upgrade weapons to +3?! Because my non-upgraded straight sword does jack shit of damage to the first boss but i don't want to waste finite resources to upgrade the first weapon i found in the game...

Also, where to put points for a str build that want to use skill weapons and maybe some light magic?

Yes, you unlock the ability to buy stones 1-8 at the very least, gradually over time.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
So… the Rusted Anchor is OP, hub. Best str weapon I’ve found so far. Staggers everything, and I read if you get it to +10 everything is a cakewalk lol. Loving it so far, I need to find some more stones to upgrade it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Somehow managed to beat the Draconic Tree Sentinel on my first try with no idea it was even a thing and was completely unprepared.

My summoned giant rats might've saved my ass lol

Last edited:
Uhhhh, that's a good question. I'll have to check, thanks for the tip.
Yea, in the equipment menu, if you have multiple weapons and shields equipped. Just hit Square on them and it'll remove them from being readily accessible.

I'm carrying a bunch of stuff but I haven't noticed that it affects my weight, only the things equipped seem to affect my weight. I could be wrong but I think I'm correct on this.

Swift_Star

Banned
Yea, in the equipment menu, if you have multiple weapons and shields equipped. Just hit Square on them and it'll remove them from being readily accessible.

I'm carrying a bunch of stuff but I haven't noticed that it affects my weight, only the things equipped seem to affect my weight. I could be wrong but I think I'm correct on this.
You are, inventory is infinite in these games, except for Demon’s

Mossybrew

I thought I had a good thing going with my new spear from that chap in the cave early on, and shield w/barricade, just hiding and poking, and it actually worked great on that miniboss in the murkwater catacombs but boy if you are facing multiple opponents that can flank you that strategy really breaks down. Ended up just going back to my starter sword again.

Last edited:

AV

I mentioned "bros buying levels" a few weeks ago, and someone didn't understand what I meant. Look at all these fucking losers.

People pay for other people to do achievements for them, at the very least this has some practical use. It's still incredibly lame but not as lame as buying platinum trophies.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Very nice, still haven’t managed to beat him yet. I got my two skeleton summons to +2 as I like their revive feature and I’m in my 50’s level-wise. I can beat Misbegotten usually as I stun him with most of my attacks but Crucible Knight is a whole other story. If my skeletons could stay alive long enough when only Knight is left, I might manage but no luck, and he takes little damage. Maybe it’s my weapon, I’ve got a +5 Pickaxe, but want to eventually rock the Grafted Blade Greatsword* once my stats are high enough. *hey bro, we heard you like swords, so we put swords in your sword!
For Misbegotten I summon infected stray dog +2 to poison him so he would die faster and I can concentrate on Crucible Knight, but I have no clear tactics against Crucible Knight, I just get one and two hits when I find opening and his second phase become more deadly when he grows a wing and god damn tail.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There is really no such thing as best armor in my view. It all depends on how you want to play.
That's what I thought too, but after 60 hours of playtime I finally found an armor that's better than the knight one in almost everything.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ain't got nothing on my dad bod armour.

(it's actually really good as well as being meme material)

vI5Z4oH.jpg
Man that one look cool! Boomer souls at it's peak.

Btw, we are wearing the same shield, kinda crazy how a shield dropped by enemies is so good.

lifa-cobex

Nah, did you talk to someone when you arrived at the castle?

Thinking about it, if you went the side route I bet you could actually miss him
Yea I remember him. He tells you to take the outside rout right?
Don't think I had any other interaction with him after.

AV

Yea I remember him. He tells you to take the outside rout right?
Don't think I had any other interaction with him after.

Well, apart from when he locked you in the room to kill you and steal your runes.

He also shows up when you beat Godrick to kick his corpse.

I'm using double uchigatanas with dex focus and bloodflame buff.. man that bleed is nasty, i can proc it in 2 attacks it's insane, I'm carrying a flail to deal with slash resistant enemies

I have another run going with the legendary game of thrones blade but it doesn't seem nearly as powerful even tho it's higher level

Power stance is real, try it and see with your own eyes

Now I want to try unseathe uchigatana main/blood uchigatana offhand with lots of arcane to see if I can make the bleed proc even faster
I should try this, I’m pure dex wielding dual uchis

can I pick your brain, or anyone else running a similar a build?

even though I'm pure dex I have a talisman that beefs up my faith enough use it I think. I can only apply it to my right handed weapon though, right?

do you know if raising your seal's level increases the strength of the incantation?

also I'm sorta torn between using 2 uchis vs 1. it doesn't seem like power stance is always superior since the L1 attack with both swords has a long animation. I find sometimes it leaves me exposed to getting smacked whereas 2h one katana allows me to strike and get away really quick. do you always use dual wield?

lifa-cobex

Well, apart from when he locked you in the room to kill you and steal your runes.

He also shows up when you beat Godrick to kick his corpse.
ahh fuck. I forgot about that part.
tbh It took me so long to get through it all that I had forgotten he was the same person.
I just assumed he was some slave.

exploring Caelid is kinda depressing.

don't get me wrong, the art direction is amazing. but I get like anxiety and sad in that area.

I'm much more a fan of chilling in the beautiful parts of the map with lots of green and amazing views.

maybe that's the point

Yo - I'm doing pretty much the same thing. I got my Dex up to 20 which seems to be enough to dabble in most skill weapons (I use the crossbow you get in the Roundtable basement chest). I decided to put faith up to 16 for now so I can use some of the light incantations, pairing it with the Clawmark Seal you get from the bestial spell quest. I believe it scales with Strength too which is nice.

Dumping the rest of my points into Str, Vigor and End.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yo - I'm doing pretty much the same thing. I got my Dex up to 20 which seems to be enough to dabble in most skill weapons (I use the crossbow you get in the Roundtable basement chest). I decided to put faith up to 16 for now so I can use some of the light incantations, pairing it with the Clawmark Seal you get from the bestial spell quest. I believe it scales with Strength too which is nice.

Dumping the rest of my points into Str, Vigor and End.
Faith? Why not int for classic magic? The skill up dude said that good faith stuff is like way later in the game...

Also no points on the skill that increases the blue bar you use for skills\magic? The third voice starting from the upper part.

Sorry maybe i'm confusing stuff, i have shit memory for this things.

Any gaffer want to jump on a headset on xbox and show a newb the ropes? This will be my 1st souls game that I actually put in work at. I put an hour into BloodBourne and just got frustrated. I hate the kind of game that needs a crossed referenced manual to play but I already paid for this, so here goes. I followed a very popular guide on how to OP your character twice, once with Vagabond, and once with Astrologer. With the Vagabond I lost about 7000 runes about 4 hours after finishing the guide and started over with the Astrologer. I just want to actually talk to somebody who can explain what this shit means. And maybe have somebody besides randos jumping into my game. Is there a group already started?

Cyberpunkd

Any gaffer want to jump on a headset on xbox and show a newb the ropes? This will be my 1st souls game that I actually put in work at. I put an hour into BloodBourne and just got frustrated. I hate the kind of game that needs a crossed referenced manual to play but I already paid for this, so here goes. I followed a very popular guide on how to OP your character twice, once with Vagabond, and once with Astrologer. With the Vagabond I lost about 7000 runes about 4 hours after finishing the guide and started over with the Astrologer. I just want to actually talk to somebody who can explain what this shit means. And maybe have somebody besides randos jumping into my game. Is there a group already started?
7000 runes is nothing. What are you having difficulty with?

Ogbert

Gold Member
Anyone else thinking that the game is too big?

It’s all starting to feel a bit random and pointless. Just roaming aimlessly around.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone else thinking that the game is too big?

It’s all starting to feel a bit random and pointless. Just roaming aimlessly around.
yeah it is a bit.
So many places and even undergrounds. And there is some repetition. Similar dungeons, caves and divine towers. Each is different but you do feel the "oh time for another divine towe"
And then you turn the corner and there is some surprising piece of land or building.
Once you put 50 hours in, you will know where everything is and it will make more sense

Faith? Why not int for classic magic? The skill up dude said that good faith stuff is like way later in the game...

Also no points on the skill that increases the blue bar you use for skills\magic? The third voice starting from the upper part.

Sorry maybe i'm confusing stuff, i have shit memory for this things.
Well the item I have to cast Faith spells scales with Str so that's why. Also, you said light magic - so I don't need more blue bar. I rarely cast spells, but some of the early ones are useful such as the Beastial Spells, the cure rot/poison, and the AOE fire spell. They don't use much blue bar, and I keep one blue flask to fill my blue bar back up. I have enough blue bar to summon spirits, then use some spells, then use flask to refill my blue bar, and so on. I started as Vagabond btw.

Sgt.Asher

the crucible knight is a pain in the ass
Stick close and roll behind him on his shield side, he will attack in twos or three. You can get one or two hits in before he attacks again. Once he starts using the tail he will mostly sweep twice keep to the same rules. If you need to heal get a fuck load of distance. Or you can become a parry god.

wolywood

I know this is going to be an unpopular take, and I'm not saying the game is bad, but I don't think that the Soulsborne formula fits all that well with a gigantic open world fantasy game. What's missing for me that I get from other genre staples like Skyrim or The Witcher 3 is a sense that there are people in the game world whose entire existence doesn't revolve solely around trying to kill me at first sight. Where are the bustling towns, the pubs, the quiet farms, the average townsfolk who just go about their daily lives? Now I've only played a few hours of Elden Ring so maybe all that stuff is there eventually, but for now being unable to walk past a single group of individuals without them immediately lunging at me in a berserk rage is frankly exhausting.

Top Bottom