• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Swift_Star

Banned
I’ve beaten him on three separate characters now. There is a *lot* of differences between builds. Took me about ten attempts on Samurai. One shot him with an astrologer. However, he was a brick wall for my confessor. Took about two hours.

I find it really difficult to judge the dodge when he sends out the two gusts of wind.
Honestly thinking about restarting as an astrologer… the game seems more fun when using sorceries instead of trying to rely of faith and strength.

Hinedorf

Banned
Honestly thinking about restarting as an astrologer… the game seems more fun when using sorceries instead of trying to rely of faith and strength.
I really enjoy my Str/Faith Confessor in that sometimes I go full frontal sword/shield or completely different mobile/ranged and am viable regardless and can change on the fly. I initially thought non-faith magic looked cooler but I love my Faith Blackfire/Heal too much

Rex_DX

Gold Member
By the time you start to specialize your stats, you’ll have respec available. No reason to start over.
I thought I was at this point right now - is the ceiling higher for stat caps in Elden Ring compared to the Souls games? Is something like 40 STR or 40 INT now on the lower/mid-range side?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I thought I was at this point right now - is the ceiling higher for stat caps in Elden Ring compared to the Souls games? Is something like 40 STR or 40 INT now on the lower/mid-range side?
Im expecting to finish around SL 120 without any farming. Maybe higher.

FunkMiller

By the time you start to specialize your stats, you’ll have respec available. No reason to start over.

Cool. I've been sort of balancing INT and DEX so far, but going to pile everything into INT when I can respec, and go for the magic OP build. Having way too much fun already with the sorceries in this, and want to max it out as much as possible.

Hestar69

First time Astrologer/magic class here.
You start a bit OP, but then everything soon catches up and overtakes due to lack of worthy gear, which is a bit sad seeing all these cool gear you can’t wield due to lack of strength, but now I’m around 30hrs in and it’s really picked up making this the best class as I can now fire from a distance and have the staff act as a sword too.

Make it to level 60 intelligence and you can use this!
which sword and staff are you using? I'm using the glintstone staff and meteroic ore blade+4 I need to find some upgrades my magic doesnt seem to be doing alot of damage

Aesius

Shields are so powerful in this game. You can just passively block shit, holding your shield out while locked on, and then get what is essentially a riposte via a heavy attack follow up. And then that stuns enemies and lets you wail on them a few more times for good measure.

Cyberpunkd

Don’t, a lot of bosses are rather aggressive and you will have difficulty getting a hit in. It’s not all EZ.

kikkis

Shields are so powerful in this game. You can just passively block shit, holding your shield out while locked on, and then get what is essentially a riposte via a heavy attack follow up. And then that stuns enemies and lets you wail on them a few more times for good measure.
It's good on regural enemies, but bosses and aggressive enemies its not that good and can leave you open.

bitbydeath

which sword and staff are you using? I'm using the glintstone staff and meteroic ore blade+4 I need to find some upgrades my magic doesnt seem to be doing alot of damage
I’m using a meteorite staff, with the following three spells attached.

1. Swift Glintstone Pebble - Faster than the regular version and still good for normal enemies
2. Rock Sling - Really good at damaging bosses (from a distance)
3. Carrian Slicer - This is the sword spell I had mentioned, it can be slow to get started but it picks up the pace after the first swing and works great against bosses or foes that want to keep close

I still can’t figure out how I’m supposed to restore Rennalas great rune

The item gives no instructions

Edit: I’m an idiot, figured it out

Last edited:
Been exploring the capital. That place is insane and basically a maze.
It's huge. Def. felt like a maze.

----------------

50 hours in and this map keeps getting bigger and bigger. I'm stunned by how this game is constantly keeping me in awe.

Ya know all those great Concept Art paintings you'd see in art books for great games that never quite conveyed the feeling and look of the paintings? This game is like that except it feels like the concept art. It's incredible. Some of the best open world art direction I've ever seen.

j0hnnix

Just finished
Starscourge Radahn
and when I first saw it , the build up for the fight, I was damn this is cool then the fight started.. 1hr later , yeah not so cool.. Cool looking but not the fight. I did break him down on the last bout to 25% health before phase 2 so my damage was good. Just can't deal with that 1 shot spanking.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I must admit though, for as much as I like it, it does not feel as fresh and new as Sekiro did, it doesn't innovate as much with its gameplay systems. It plays like Dark Souls, the world is spectacular, but I feel like I played this before to some extent.

So you really just need to
beat two shard bosses
to get to endgame. Interesting. Wonder what level you have to be to actually have a chance and not be one shot at that area.

Termite

Just beat it. What an incredible game. Will be remembered for decades, as Dark Souls was.

Also - very funny, I went to see what the different endings are etc (like every single From game, so hardly a spoiler) and found that I somehow apparently got "the most secret, special ending". I then read how to get that ending (on multiple guide sites) and I didn't do literally any of the shit on there. They're saying you 100% have to go to certain areas and speak to certain characters I didn't even know existed. I love that! I love how confusing and complicated these games are. Whole areas I never even found!

Not as much a fan that I've been locked out of some areas in post-game but whatever, it was my choice to push ahead to the finish as soon as it was an option.
I must admit though, for as much as I like it, it does not feel as fresh and new as Sekiro did, it doesn't innovate as much with its gameplay systems. It plays like Dark Souls, the world is spectacular, but I feel like I played this before to some extent.

This is also very true. I'd still put Bloodborne and Sekiro ahead of this because they had no "down time / boring time" and they were wholly unique. This was Dark Souls 4, where the newness was in the content itself, but not at all in the gameplay. A non-souls fan could watch someone playing this or DS3 and not be able to tell the difference.

However, THAT content, though. Started off pretty "eh" in Limgrave and they just keep upping the ante for 60 hours until your jaw is permanently on the floor in the last areas.

Bragr

Banned
This is also very true. I'd still put Bloodborne and Sekiro ahead of this because they had no "down time / boring time" and they were wholly unique. This was Dark Souls 4, where the newness was in the content itself, but not at all in the gameplay. A non-souls fan could watch someone playing this or DS3 and not be able to tell the difference.

However, THAT content, though. Started off pretty "eh" in Limgrave and they just keep upping the ante for 60 hours until your jaw is permanently on the floor in the last areas.
I'm a bit tired of the grinding though.

I'm at level 45-ish, and I got to a point where I get annihilated by a boss and need to grind. And I feel like there are only one or two places where the grinding has enough EXP to be worth it, and I'm a bit sick of it. It's always been a flaw in FromSoftware's design. I didn't feel it as much in Bloodborne or Dark Souls, but Elden Ring got some really grindy parts I feel.

It's huge. Def. felt like a maze.

----------------

50 hours in and this map keeps getting bigger and bigger. I'm stunned by how this game is constantly keeping me in awe.

Ya know all those great Concept Art paintings you'd see in art books for great games that never quite conveyed the feeling and look of the paintings? This game is like that except it feels like the concept art. It's incredible. Some of the best open world art direction I've ever seen.

I wish I knew what percentage of my playthrough has been me just walking around looking at stuff with my mouth hanging open.

Just beat it. What an incredible game. Will be remembered for decades, as Dark Souls was.

Also - very funny, I went to see what the different endings are etc (like every single From game, so hardly a spoiler) and found that I somehow apparently got "the most secret, special ending". I then read how to get that ending (on multiple guide sites) and I didn't do literally any of the shit on there. They're saying you 100% have to go to certain areas and speak to certain characters I didn't even know existed. I love that! I love how confusing and complicated these games are. Whole areas I never even found!
I've looked up a few things along the way and got the same impression. Even fextralife has wrong info about required bosses. I'm not sure that anybody really knows at this point.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Okay so apparantly those balls that get pushed around by those beetles hide all manner of treasure, and not just flask refills like I've been thinking for the last FUCKING THIRTY HOURS OF PLAYTIME.

I've been ignoring all of them all this time.

big-oof-size.gif
From the beginning I assumed they would be like the crystal lizards in demons so have been going after them.

Plantoid

I'm using double uchigatanas with dex focus and bloodflame buff.. man that bleed is nasty, i can proc it in 2 attacks it's insane, I'm carrying a flail to deal with slash resistant enemies

I have another run going with the legendary game of thrones blade but it doesn't seem nearly as powerful even tho it's higher level

Power stance is real, try it and see with your own eyes

Now I want to try unseathe uchigatana main/blood uchigatana offhand with lots of arcane to see if I can make the bleed proc even faster

j0hnnix

Knocked off
Godfrey
took 4 attempts but didn't expect to wreck
Margot
first attempt. I'm at 49hours, Level 68 after those bosses. I think now that I got
Yura's
set I'm going to go back to exploring some more. Bloody Slash with Naga Katana seems to be a fitting choice for my play style.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I've seen some disparaging comments about Confessors and Faith builds, you heretics are hereby excommunicated from the Holy Church of Erdtree, ungrateful heathens.

My holy knight has yet to hit any kind of roadblock. Whether slinging fireballs, tossing lightning bolts or getting busy up close with my Assassin's Creed blade of light, there isn't a situation Father Milk can't handle. Frenzy spell can melt entire groups and bring giants crashing down with a single charge to crit, love this class.

I'm now exploring the entire Western side of the lakes, covered the rest. Once I'm done here I'll finally move West. One odd thing happened with a certain NPC
beastmaster aggro'd for no reason. Gave him my 3rd deathroot, walked away and he then attacked, strange stuff
. Found another underground river area, it's just as impressive as the first and *very* different, this truly is the game of forever.

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm level 43 and I still get my ass kicked by some Limgrave bosses lmao (Crucible Knight). I need to get good asap. I'm 2H and the fact that the boss apparently has infinite poise really doesn't help.

SkylineRKR

I get that mechanic.

I meant if you're going for a quality/ melee build but not leveling strength or dex ... how are you going to up your damage output? Weapon upgrades will only take you so far.

Maybe I misread his post.

In my experience it doesn't really matter. there is likely a softcap anyway. From Faith or INT you get the benefits from Magic or Sacred enhancements on your weapons.

If the average level cap is 110 again, i still have over 60 levels to go. I'd likely put STR on the softcap, Dex and Faith on the requirement of the better weapons and spells. I'd like to make myself a bit of a temple knight.

Last edited:
In my experience it doesn't really matter. there is likely a softcap anyway. From Faith or INT you get the benefits from Magic or Sacred enhancements on your weapons.

If the average level cap is 110 again, i still have over 60 levels to go.
I've been on the subreddit for the game and the hardcore nerds are saying that the new PVP meta will likely be lvl 150. I have a loooong way to go if that's the case.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Went on a "side" adventure down a sewer last night and ended up spending my Radahn hunting time there, still not even done with the zone and I'm pretty sure it's just a side quest I'm doing. Game keeps impressing me with the scope and how it's got an entire Souls game worth of levels in the interiors alone.

SkylineRKR

Went on a "side" adventure down a sewer last night and ended up spending my Radahn hunting time there, still not even done with the zone and I'm pretty sure it's just a side quest I'm doing. Game keeps impressing me with the scope and how it's got an entire Souls game worth of levels in the interiors alone.

Yeah I was impressed by Castle Morne. Its almost as big as a Demon's Souls stage by itself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hm, I'm kinda miffed I triggered some progression with only having beat one major boss (Godric) seemingly just for reaching a certain place after what seemed like any other dungeon area rather than some important thing (I beat it while testing summons for the first time ever, or I wouldn't).

I reached the site of grace where the maiden says it's close to the tree and when I went back to the council pretty much everybody left/stuff happened. I'll definitely go back and explore the rest of the world before moving on but I wish I could undo this and progress more slowly and naturally.

Last edited:

Yahzi

Neo Member
So I'm not doing so well in this game right now. I'm fat rolling, the weight is showing as heavy I think, and I don't know what to do. I'm using Vagabond class, starting armour that came with the character - I haven't put any points into endurance so far, just vitality, dex and strength as my current weapon scales with those two attributes.

I'm watching Youtube videos of guys with nice sturdy armour and they are moving super quick and rolling quick. I have no idea what kind of endurance they are rocking but my character is not great.

I killed Margit but it felt undeserved as I used a summon to do it. I'm going to all kinds of places and I feel super underleveled. I'm rolling soooo slowly, if I use a shield I'm getting pummeled by knights in Stormveil castle.

It's funny, I beat Dark Souls as a heavy tank but in this game I'm just not sure what I'm doing. My weapon damage is 140 + 40, I have a number of stones to level up the weapon but I haven't done that yet. I'm desperate for a Ultra Great sword but I don't want to cheat and find the location for one - DONT tell me where I can find one. :D

I'm getting murdered so far.

Yahzi

Neo Member
So I'm not doing so well in this game right now. I'm fat rolling, the weight is showing as heavy I think, and I don't know what to do. I'm using Vagabond class, starting armour that came with the character - I haven't put any points into endurance so far, just vitality, dex and strength as my current weapon scales with those two attributes.

I'm watching Youtube videos of guys with nice sturdy armour and they are moving super quick and rolling quick. I have no idea what kind of endurance they are rocking but my character is not great.

I killed Margit but it felt undeserved as I used a summon to do it. I'm going to all kinds of places and I feel super underleveled. I'm rolling soooo slowly, if I use a shield I'm getting pummeled by knights in Stormveil castle.

It's funny, I beat Dark Souls as a heavy tank but in this game I'm just not sure what I'm doing. My weapon damage is 140 + 40, I have a number of stones to level up the weapon but I haven't done that yet. I'm desperate for a Ultra Great sword but I don't want to cheat and find the location for one - DONT tell me where I can find one. :D

I'm getting murdered so far.
I'm at level 38 I think. But like I said, not doing so well at all.

Top Bottom