• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

The most recent influx of bad reviews are centered around the pricing model. Some people are furious at the idea of $45-$60 DLC. These negative reviews have a huge number of people marking them as helpful so the featured reviews are mostly these. However, prior to Horizons a lot of the negative reviews are from people who have played for 100s of hours but ultimately were sick of grinding. I can appreciate people burning out and being left with a bad taste even after playing for a ridiculous number of hours. Luckily for me, the sense of space travel, combat and piloting my own ship keeps me coming back day after day.

I mean, $60 for a game that has as much initial awe as Elite with at least 30-40 hours of fun gameplay after that seems pretty solid. Does it have its flaws? Sure, but what the hell, people find the shittiest reasons for tearing down a game.

I don't like the pricing model and content is thin, but I've had lots of fun with this game for over 100 hours. THUMBS DOWN.

The Cobra IV is a dud IMHO. It's the fifth slowest ship in the game, it's only faster than the huge massive ships like the Anaconda and the Type 9. That coupled with it's crippling underpowered distributor makes it one of the slowest and weakest wet bags in the game. It has awesome internals and hardpoint placements, and it looks fantastic, but it's a dangerous ship to fly in. It's best method for dealing with interdictions is to high wake out ASAP before you quickly die.

It wouldn't take much to fix it. Either give it a better distributor or make it quite a bit faster and agile, just something to give it a chance in combat.

It'll chew up ships its size and smaller if you go with medium bursts and three small multicannons. The weapon placement is the best I've seen, just have to be very careful with power. That said it's a neat and different ship, and something that packs a little more punch than the Mk III for players who want an in-between combat ship until the Vulture, but there's a reason it's not a staple in the game and is just something reserved to certain players.

Carroway

The Cobra IV is a dud IMHO. It's the fifth slowest ship in the game, it's only faster than the huge massive ships like the Anaconda and the Type 9. That coupled with it's crippling underpowered distributor makes it one of the slowest and weakest wet bags in the game. It has awesome internals and hardpoint placements, and it looks fantastic, but it's a dangerous ship to fly in. It's best method for dealing with interdictions is to high wake out ASAP before you quickly die.

It wouldn't take much to fix it. Either give it a better distributor or make it quite a bit faster and agile, just something to give it a chance in combat.

For me the Cobra IV is more akin to a heavy fighter than the Mk III, which would be a medium fighter. A tactic that i've found very useful is having two Beams in order to chew through shields and then using Dumbfire missiles to blast through hulls and take out important subsystems. With some manouvering it is quite possible to take out an Conda with careful flying and taking out key subsystems.

Granted the Viper does this even better, but it's hardpoint location is just not as good as the Cobra's.

I mean, $60 for a game that has as much initial awe as Elite with at least 30-40 hours of fun gameplay after that seems pretty solid. Does it have its flaws? Sure, but what the hell, people find the shittiest reasons for tearing down a game.

I don't like the pricing model and content is thin, but I've had lots of fun with this game for over 100 hours. THUMBS DOWN.

I personally don't agree with them but I see where they are coming from. We definitely have super active players in this thread that have expressed pretty much nothing but endless disappointment. I think they just base their review on their final impression, the hours and hours that hooked them in the first place have been forgotten.

I checked my personal playtime and I've reached just under 500 hrs so far. The pricing model does not bother me in the slightest.

On a side note, 2 of my friends bought the game the other day and playing in a wing is just a lot more fun for me. So much easier to just enjoy the galaxy and not focus so much on progression and profit.

Wreav

Banned
To be fair, many Steam reviews are more irked at the full price for the content and not harping on the game itself.

Many of them are legitimate in their complaints.
Also don't put any credence in Steam stats for hours played, just having the launcher open counts as playtime.

Chris_C

So I was on the cusp of buying this game, and then I started reading all of the Steam reviews (Verified owners with 100+ hours) and people seem to be saying they don't recommend the title at all.

Is it much better post Horizons?

My main squeeze will definitely be Star Citizen, but going to wait it out just a tad bit longer. At least until they add better comfy couch support (gamepad/Steam Controller).

What are people's general impressions of the game? I love the idea of Space Sims. SC is like a childhood fantasy come true for me.

I kind of want something that will just feed my need to drive around space exploring, and something I can play from my couch. (Have no intention of going back and playing on my Dual Monitor Desk Setup anytime soon).

Should I stay away? Also I see that ED is 15 bucks, while Horizons is sill 60. Is it safe to assume Horizons will NOT go on sale during the Steam sale and I should just buy full price?

As someone who wasn't into space sims, I gambled on Elite during the last $15 sale, here are my thoughts:

- It's definitely worth a punt at $15. I ended up snagging Horizons for $45 shortly after.

- I also bought a copy of Star Citizen, mainly due to how much fun I was having with Elite.

- Star Citizen looks amazing, but there isn't much of a game there yet. If you're looking to scratch that exploration itch, Elite is your best bet right now, it's more complete and runs better.

- While Elite is complete, it's not finished, and it shows. The game sorely lacks a proper tutorial, and the learning curve is steep as hell. That said, there's a Souls-esquen sense of accomplishment when you figure something out. Lot's and lots of arcane rules and obscure missions. It's a time sink, and you'll need to be patient.

All that said, there's nothing else out there at this scale yet, as Star Citizen and No Man's Sky are a ways off. My advice is to get the base game for $15, you'll be able to tell after a week of play if you want to get Horizons as well. Personally, I think $15 is a great entry point, and considering the ambitious scale and small team size, I can understand the high price of the DLC.

DrBo42

I personally don't agree with them but I see where they are coming from. We definitely have super active players in this thread that have expressed pretty much nothing but endless disappointment. I think they just base their review on their final impression, the hours and hours that hooked them in the first place have been forgotten.

I checked my personal playtime and I've reached just under 500 hrs so far. The pricing model does not bother me in the slightest.

On a side note, 2 of my friends bought the game the other day and playing in a wing is just a lot more fun for me. So much easier to just enjoy the galaxy and not focus so much on progression and profit.

I think it's more about taking a step back and realizing we're edge cases in the gaming community. If you can play this game every day or for hundreds of hours like myself, you're not the average consumer. Those reviews are written for the average consumer and are absolutely correct as such.

Chris_C

Ugh, I just can't get into this game, as much as I want to like it. I scraped by and was able to buy a better ship, and I want to do bounty hunting, but every. goddamn. time. I'm out shooting at a wanted ship, some asshole gets in the way, I shoot him, and then get auto-killed by some security force. Is there something I'm doing awfully wrong? This is unfair :( I've lost over 90k today just from that, and I have like 15k left...

Sorry, just saw this post. I typically hold fire as soon as I see another ship get close enough to my target to get good accidentally.

hepburn3d

Elites pricing plan worked. Bought game in Autumn sale for £10. Bought voice attack and veriti voice pack for £5 and £10. Get addicted. Buy Horizons for £29.99 with exciting player discount. I'll probably end up getting a Christmas tree bobble head to. I only wanted to try it for cheap to see what it's like. Here we are £55 later. Luckily I play on couch otherwise I'd probably be buying a HOTAS as well. Though when the Vive is out I'll want that to :( and I'll need to upgrade my 770. So for £10 they'll probably end up making me spend over £1k

Well played Elite

Chris_C

Elites pricing plan worked. Bought game in Autumn sale for £10. Bought voice attack and veriti voice pack for £5 and £10. Get addicted. Buy Horizons for £29.99 with exciting player discount. I'll probably end up getting a Christmas tree bobble head to. I only wanted to try it for cheap to see what it's like. Here we are £55 later. Luckily I play on couch otherwise I'd probably be buying a HOTAS as well. Though when the Vive is out I'll want that to :( and I'll need to upgrade my 770. So for £10 they'll probably end up making me spend over £1k

Well played Elite

How easy was it to install the voice pack? I'm thinking of getting Astra, but I don't want stream patching incompatibility down the line.

How easy was it to install the voice pack? I'm thinking of getting Astra, but I don't want stream patching incompatibility down the line.

Very easy. BUT if you've moved any keys away from their default settings, you'll need to make adjustments in Voice Attack accordingly.

Thrustmaster HOTAS X users, I'm curious about your mappings. Mainly how you mapped individual thruster directions. Right now I've got it set to a modifier button + the d-hat for directions which seems to be alright, but can get a bit awkward in some situations. Hopefully seeing some other mappings will inspire me since I've just been sorta winging the mappings as I play.

hepburn3d

Very easy. BUT if you've moved any keys away from their default settings, you'll need to make adjustments in Voice Attack accordingly.

It's quite fun. Easy to set up and in the menu when I'm setting up bindings I use voice attack to do it. So say the commands in the menu and it adds the correct buttons for me.

KarasuEXE

Thrustmaster HOTAS X users, I'm curious about your mappings. Mainly how you mapped individual thruster directions. Right now I've got it set to a modifier button + the d-hat for directions which seems to be alright, but can get a bit awkward in some situations. Hopefully seeing some other mappings will inspire me since I've just been sorta winging the mappings as I play.

I mapped mine following these instructions (and I think a lot of people here did the same.)

Something like this (it's been updated since):

T-Flight%20HOTAS%20Elite%204.png

EDIT: Posted updated reference sheet a few posts below.

I mapped mine following these instructions (and I think a lot of people here did the same.)

Something like this (it's been updated since):

This looks way simpler than what I have now. Right now I'm only using my keyboard to type out comms (which I kind of like tbh). I might try to somehow combine this with what I have now.

Right now I'm using 5, 6, 7 as alt buttons for my macros.

espher

I really want to get Voice Attack and Astra but the GBP to CAD is killing me on the Astra side of things. I should have bought it last year when I knew I would eventually want it.

I just let voice attack acknowledge that it heard me with a Star Trek computer sound. I suppose I don't know if it recognized the command as different command but I've never had that happen.

Fireblend

Banned
Guys, would 500k be a good number to upgrade from an Eagle to a Viper? Or is it not worth upgrading until I hit a mil or so so I can outfit it?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Guys, would 500k be a good number to upgrade from an Eagle to a Viper? Or is it not worth upgrading until I hit a mil or so so I can outfit it?

Probably best to wait. You could get the Viper with a few additions, like some slightly better weapons and some improved internals here and there with enough left over for insurance, but it won't be a whole lot and definitely not A rated stuff for the most part.

Even a Million isn't enough for a fully upgraded Viper, but you'd be able to get some more significant upgrades that will be noticeable benefits and not just minor improvements with what you have now.

Insurance is practically nothing on the Viper MkIII as long as you keep a 100k minimum in the bank you'll be more than fine.

I'd also say that you might want to try for a MkIV Viper instead of the MkIII. I only just upgraded to a Vulture after spending the last week heavily with the MkIV and I liked it a whole lot more than the MkIII. It's bit slower and less maneuverable than the MkIII but much tougher in a fight. Made ~8 Million over the week and upgraded to the Vulture, which was a bit premature, but I'll survive.

This is a nice ship spec sheet to see how much you need for upgrades and the like.
http://edshipyard.com/

Fireblend

Banned
Probably best to wait. You could get the Viper with a few additions, like some slightly better weapons and some improved internals here and there with enough left over for insurance, but it won't be a whole lot and definitely not A rated stuff for the most part.

Even a Million isn't enough for a fully upgraded Viper, but you'd be able to get some more significant upgrades that will be noticeable benefits and not just minor improvements with what you have now.

Insurance is practically nothing on the Viper MkIII as long as you keep a 100k minimum in the bank you'll be more than fine.

I'd also say that you might want to try for a MkIV Viper instead of the MkIII. I only just upgraded to a Vulture after spending the last week heavily with the MkIV and I liked it a whole lot more than the MkIII. It's bit slower and less maneuverable than the MkIII but much tougher in a fight. Made ~8 Million over the week and upgraded to the Vulture, which was a bit premature, but I'll survive.

This is a nice ship spec sheet to see how much you need for upgrades and the like.
http://edshipyard.com/

Cool! Thanks! Yeah, I was about to ask what ship everyone was referring to when they said Viper since there's like 3 versions. I still suck at outfitting. The only thing I've bought for my Eagle so far has been a Kill Warrant Scanner. I figure I'll save more with what I have now, and then once I have more money in the bank and can afford the IV plus some upgrades come here and ask for some suggestions on Viper outfitting.

I was just thinking about how messed up ship design in Elite is.

First thing is that all ships have roll, pitch, and upward thrust as their strongest maneuvering thrusters so it's relatively easy to get the enemy ship at a 0 degree heading with a 0-180 degree pitch above or below. So it's very easy to get and keep enemy ships either directly in front, above or below, and never off to the side.

So why do all the ships have hardpoints on their tops and bottoms? That gives the best field of fire to ships to the sides. Hardpoints should be lined along the sides of the ship, where turrets can have free range of fire above and below, but not side to side.

This just dawned on me and now I'm pissed off because I feel like it breaks the game universe. Just look at the Federal Corvette, I highlighted the length along the side where the guns should go. All of the guns. Like this the Corvette can always and easily keep its entire battery of weapons focused on a single target just by rolling, regardless of whether or not it has it lined up in its sights (excluding something directly behind it).*

zG8hrL3.jpg

Or imagine the Vulture with the two hardpoints set on the sides of the ship instead of the top. Wow. So much better. You're welcome. Far as I'm concerned, the two medium weapons on the Anaconda are the only hardpoints set properly in the game.

* This is assuming turreted weapons, but even with gimbals you could have all firepower concentrated with an enemy ship both above and below the Corvette's "horizon". It's fucking ridiculous how bad all the ships are!

Dizzy-4U

I haven't seen all the ships in the game yet but so far they all seem to have the the same size to me.

Are they planning on adding "Titan"-like ships? Like the ones in Eve?

Fighting things like that with multiple squads could be pretty fun.

I was just thinking about how messed up ship design in Elite is.

First thing is that all ships have roll, pitch, and upward thrust as their strongest maneuvering thrusters so it's relatively easy to get the enemy ship at a 0 degree heading with a 0-180 degree pitch above or below. So it's very easy to get and keep enemy ships either directly in front, above or below, and never off to the side.

So why do all the ships have hardpoints on their tops and bottoms? That gives the best field of fire to ships to the sides. Hardpoints should be lined along the sides of the ship, where turrets can have free range of fire above and below, but not side to side.

This just dawned on me and now I'm pissed off because I feel like it breaks the game universe. Just look at the Federal Corvette, I highlighted the length along the side where the guns should go. All of the guns. Like this the Corvette can always and easily keep its entire battery of weapons focused on a single target just by rolling, regardless of whether or not it has it lined up in its sights (excluding something directly behind it).*

zG8hrL3.jpg

Or imagine the Vulture with the two hardpoints set on the sides of the ship instead of the top. Wow. So much better. You're welcome. Far as I'm concerned, the two medium weapons on the Anaconda are the only hardpoints set properly in the game.

* This is assuming turreted weapons, but even with gimbals you could have all firepower concentrated with an enemy ship both above and below the Corvette's "horizon". It's fucking ridiculous how bad all the ships are!

That's something I could see coming with multi-crew ships, as it stands now everything is designed around the pilot maintaining line of sight and firing at the same time. Big ships with broadside mounts that have a dedicated weapons operator and a dedicated pilot would be rad.

I haven't seen all the ships in the game yet but so far they all seem to have the the same size to me.

Are they planning on adding "Titan"-like ships? Like the ones in Eve?

Fighting things like that with multiple squads could be pretty fun.

Do you have a Sol permit? If so visit Earth. There you should find something in orbit that you you might like.

That's something I could see coming with multi-crew ships, as it stands now everything is designed around the pilot maintaining line of sight and firing at the same time. Big ships with broadside mounts that have a dedicated weapons operator and a dedicated pilot would be rad.

This isn't limited to larger ships, just think of the Viper. The bottom mounts are useless if the target is more than ten degrees above the plane, and the top mounts are the same way below. Who would design something like that for a ship that's best suited for rolling and pitching? And to be clear I'm not talking about broadsides, I'm talking about typical forward facing hardpoints (fixed, gimbaled or turret) like in the game now, just on the sides (where the top of the turret points out, i.e., the turret's z-axis is along the ships y-axis). If you had four turrets on each side arranged like that and the target was directly above you you could shoot all eight turrets at them at once. With top/bottom hardpoints you could only shoot four--which is ridiculous.

And yeah, too much time I know! I was the last one at the construction site this afternoon waiting for a rain storm to show leaks in a new roof, everyone else went home for Christmas.

This isn't limited to larger ships, just think of the Viper. The bottom mounts are useless if the target is more than ten degrees above the plane, and the top mounts are the same way below. Who would design something like that for a ship that's best suited for rolling and pitching?

And yeah, too much time I know! I was the last one at the construction site this afternoon waiting for a rain storm to show leaks in a new roof, everyone else went home for Christmas.

You answered your own question? the placements suck for turreted weapons but turreted weapons are all garbage, using fixed or gimbaled a strong pitch/roll speed allows you to keep your target in front and in your sights.

You answered your own question? the placements suck for turreted weapons but turreted weapons are all garbage, using fixed or gimbaled a strong pitch/roll speed allows you to keep your target in front and in your sights.

So what about gimballed weapons? How often has a target been just about dead ahead but ever so slightly too high for the gimballed weapons on the bottom? If they were mounted on the sides that would never be an issue because it's so easy to roll to keep the target on your own ship's centerline. Edit: This is especially apparent on the FAS, the bottom medium hardpoints struggle to hit anything above the horizon unless the target is very, very close. If you put gimballed multi-cannons on the bottom they won't even fire unless you have a target because they can't technically see dead-ahead.

Just think about where your target is most of the time in a dogfight relative to your sights; either right in the sights or dead ahead and above. So why put guns on the bottom of your ship? The impact would be bigger for larger ships because they're usually lined up roll-wise but not pitch-wise, but it would still increase full guns time on target for small ships.

I'm bored and work has been slow so my brain is disengaged. I'm this close to drawing this up.

HelloMeow

Do I ever need to be worried in a Cobra? I seem to be able to out run any interdiction I get caught in. It's quite nice.

The Cobra MK III is the fastest ship in the game. But watch out for clippers, because their average speed is close to the Cobra MK III's.

Question about the new Rank Progression meter in the UI. It is 0% is no rank 100% is max rank or is it does it go from 0% -> 100% between each rank?

Between each rank. When it reaches 100% you're eligible for a rank progression mission, then it resets.

Thanks. I'm just trying to get my friends a sol permit but the rank progression seems so much slower than when I first played. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong but I remember getting a Sol permit pretty quickly. We did 4-5 federation missions some low but some medium and high reputation and he's at like 12% to the first rank. I swear I got my first progression mission when I started very very quickly. Maybe it's because I traded a lot back in the beginning. Maybe that has a larger effect on rank.

Burny

Finally managed to get in some Horizons playtime with the full CH Products HOTAS + Crosswinds pedals setup last night. The stupid thing about not always having some kind of sim rack and therefore the more dedicated input hardware available is the jumping back and forth between mouse/keyboard and HOTAS setups. And having to put up with the terrible control setup screen twice everytime something changes. Collapsible categories would already help so much. Or a demo screen, that showed you the current mapping for whatever button you pressed on the controller at the time. :p

Anyway, I love the CH Products stuff more and more, although I still need to fix those unreliable HOTAS hat switches sometime. Getting the short end of the stick with the throttle twice. >.< Putting the SRV's (de-)acceleration axis on the pedals' toebreaks makes it drive a bit like a car. Steering is well placed on the throttle's mini stick while the joystick remains free for pitch/yaw and turret aiming. I can't count how many times I had to go back and forth between the game and that bloody controls screen, just because I found out that this or that axis had to be inverted, but I finally got it down. Also discovered that the throttle on the Joystick's base makes for a great input to control the scanner zoom, which I happily ignored before, but which got more interesting due to Horizons' POIs.

I also "fixed" the goddam supercruise framerate drop by installing a GTX 970. If I only knew how to fix the persistent micro stutter now. Didn't notice this before 2.0, but since Horizons, every now and then during normal flight, the action skips a split second. Had this with both, the R9 280X and the GTX 970.

Anybody else has had that issue?

Kard8p3

i got an x52 pro and jesus christ is this thing hard to use. Should I use the default config or is there a better one out there?

Burny

i got an x52 pro and jesus christ is this thing hard to use. Should I use the default config or is there a better one out there?

The more familiar you get with the game, the less likely you'll be happy with the default config. Too many unmapped/not sensibly mapped things :p Google around a bit. You should find sensible presets that you can use and then adapt for your preferences as you go along.

Kiyoshi

Whats not sensible? I'm using the default mappings, albeit with additions, and it's fine. The axis are all fine, the buttons all make sense. Other than the switches being on the stick rather than the throttle (which can't be fixed with remapping, obviously), theres nothing I'd change that comes to mind.

Burny

Whats not sensible? I'm using the default mappings, albeit with additions, and it's fine. The axis are all fine, the buttons all make sense. Other than the switches being on the stick rather than the throttle (which can't be fixed with remapping, obviously), theres nothing I'd change that comes to mind.

If this is still the current default mapping, a whole lot of subtle things actually.

Things that would otherwise be better mapped. E.g.: Silent running without a modifier. Makes it too easy to accidentally drop all shilds when you're in a tight situation. Cycling through fire groups on the stick's base. That's something you might not want to require taking a hand of either stick or throttle.

Tons of functions are not even mapped. Cycling through the target's sub systems. Move the next/previous hostile to the same as general "next and previous" targeting, but with a modifier button. Frees two directions for sub systems. Where's the wing member selection? Wing nav lock? Chaff? Heat sinks? Next system in your route? Flight assist toggle (Edit: I remember that being mapped to the "mouse wheel" click on the throttle, so that might not be the current default config)?

Top Bottom