• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Just wanted to come in and say, I've bought this in the steam sale and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, lol

Thank god the OP and the wealth of information thats included in it otherwise I would've given up!

Houndi101

Any point of even thinking of playing without Track IR?
I did buy Thrustmaster X Flight Hotas way back when I was playing demo for this and Star Citizen Alpha

LeBart

The 3D radar is so amazing in this game that Track IR is less of a necessity than it is in other games. In a game like DCS having a Track IR gives you an enormous advantage, in Elite, not so much.

The game still feels a lot better with one.

I bought this during the Steam Sale.

I booted it up, took off from the space station, realized I didn't know what I was even doing and tried to land back at the station and was blown up for loitering.

I'll give it another shot tonight.

Burny

If you've never used it, sure, why not? If you have, then nope.. there's no going back.

The 3D radar is so amazing in this game that Track IR is less of a necessity than it is in other games. In a game like DCS having a Track IR gives you an enormous advantage, in Elite, not so much.

The game still feels a lot better with one.

"Thirded". Although I'd recommend to also look at the EDTracker as cheaper, but just as effective alternative.

Having played with headtracking, I feel that changing back to playing without is really uncomfortable. I'm suddenly limited in my view. This is not an issue for most first person/third person games, because you always have camera control there. But in games that have the player behind a cockpit obstructing your view, I'd say headtracking raises the playing comfort immensely. Much more than a joystick in Elite actually, because mouse & keyboard controls are also very workable.

you can still play together with everyone who has horizons if you don't have it, you just can't go down and land on planets with them

Just wanted to come in and say, I've bought this in the steam sale and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing, lol

Thank god the OP and the wealth of information thats included in it otherwise I would've given up!

Do you need Horizons to play with others that have it? Or is that only if you wanna land on planets?
The game has a considerable learning curve and can be very unforgiving to beginners, but once you get the hang of it, it really really shines. So keep at it!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Everybody go to Hutton Orbital.

...no reason, they just never get visitors :(

My first week of playing I got a mission to deliver something to Hutton Orbital, mail I think, so I went there in my Adder. Let me tell you, never again! That is one loonnngggggg cruise out to there.

I booted it up, took off from the space station, realized I didn't know what I was even doing and tried to land back at the station and was blown up for loitering.

You gotta do the tutorials man, you cant just jump into this one without learning the basics at least.

Saganator

Is it possible to bookmark locations? Or do I need to buy a Sidewinder every place I go?

No bookmarks, people have been asking for that feature for a while now.

Not sure why you'd need/want to buy a Sidewinder every place you go? You looking for a place to buy ships?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is it possible to bookmark locations? Or do I need to buy a Sidewinder every place I go?

No bookmarks yet but Braben has said they are coming this year, most likely with patch 2.2 if I remember correctly.

8bit

Knows the Score
Just bought the Xbox One version while it's on sale, can I use the same commander profile on both systems or are they separate?

Chris_C

Yeah, watch the tutorials, especially then ObsidianAnt one, and then play the game. It takes a while to wrap your head around controls.

Side Comment: Anyone know how to successfully complete hostage missions?
How do you release hostages without becoming wanted in that system?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thanks for all the input guys.

Steam controller is working great thus far. Though the FJD was not bound to anything initially. Which was pretty weird considering how vital it is.

Did all the tutorials, and made my first delivery run, and turned in 2 bounties. Have about 20000cr right now. Going to do some more bounties tonight.

Also changed my bud color to blue and green. Which is much better IMO than the default.

Also, almost got interdicted. Which, not knowing what the hell that even was before it happened, was actually quite frightening. And awesome.

Any point of even thinking of playing without Track IR?
I did buy Thrustmaster X Flight Hotas way back when I was playing demo for this and Star Citizen Alpha

I played it once without my TrackIR and that was enough to convince me that it is impossible for me to play this game without it anymore.

I think once I get a VR headset it'll be that way too

Dizzy-4U

Steam controller is working great thus far. Though the FJD was not bound to anything initially. Which was pretty weird considering how vital it is.
Remember that you can map stuff doing a combination of buttons. For example I have Supercruise mapped to (xbox 360) X+right dpad and Hyperspace to X+left dpad.

Same with targeting and stuff. Everything is mapped in my controller, I don't use the keyboard at all. Personally, I use advanced controller 2 profile with some minor tweaks.

Also, take a look at this if you're interested in voice commands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3nBYjWQmc0

Burny

So to make money, I won't get anything by fighting these lawless guys right? Just wanted?

Yes, The Lawless tag just says that wherever you are at the time, you won't become wanted for attacking the ship. Wanted means, that a kill will actually get you the bounty attached to that ship.

Don't forget the "KWS" (kill warrant scanner). You should scan wanted ships with one of those, so you'll also receive all the bounties they have in other systems, not just the ones from the system they're in at the time.

Chris_C

Don't forget the "KWS" (kill warrant scanner). You should scan wanted ships with one of those, so you'll also receive all the bounties they have in other systems, not just the ones from the system they're in at the time.

Do you actually have to go to the systems in question to get credit for those kills, or is it automatically added when you claim the bounty in your current system.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yes, The Lawless tag just says that wherever you are at the time, you won't become wanted for attacking the ship. Wanted means, that a kill will actually get you the bounty attached to that ship.

Nice. Thanks for the clarification. Was able to do some bounties and acrew some credits.

Bought an Adder, and a new power distributer.

Running some cargo missions now and the added jump distance capability gave me some much needed breathing room. Going to focus on some bounties and basic supply runs until I can get this ship upgraded to a significant degree.

Are there plans to add more ships as the game goes on during season two?

Burny

Do you actually have to go to the systems in question to get credit for those kills, or is it automatically added when you claim the bounty in your current system.

Depends on what faction is giving out the bounties. Bounties by the major factions (Empire/Federation/Alliance) can be handed in at any station that has some influence of one of their sub factions. If the bounty is given out by a sub faction, you can hand it in at any station that has their influence. That doesn't necessarily have to be in their home system either, but it's the safest bet if you're looking for them. ;)

Are there plans to add more ships as the game goes on during season two?

I don't have a link handy unfortunately, but I remember David Braben (someone else from Frontier?) saying in one of their recent streams, that this season would focus less on ships. There was at least one piece of concept art depicting a ship that's not yet in the game, so some ships may still be added:

Newsletter 86 said:
da4421f4bb6faec7319babb829b82027.jpg

I don't have a link handy unfortunately, but I remember David Braben (someone else from Frontier?) saying in one of their recent streams, that this season would focus less on ships. There was at least one piece of concept art depicting a ship that's not yet in the game, so some ships may still be added:

FD has confirmed that new ships are coming this season. Definitely not as many as we got last year, but I'm hoping we get some Horizons-complimentary ships. I figure we'll get some ships designed for planetary landing, that hauler in the concept art, and maybe some variations on launchable fighters. New SRVs too, of course.

Thank you! Bought it for my younger brother last night, gonna show him the ropes this week.

DrBo42

How does performance in Horizons compare to vanilla Elite? I'm afraid the planetary stuff would take too much of a toll on my PC.

If you're low spec like me, planets murder your performance. I'm on a 650m and was running the normal game at 40fps+ and now with EVERYTHING turned to low and scaled back to 720p I get 22 fps in an SRV, if I'm lucky. I mean considering this shite laptop card and what's going on, I'm not surprised but it still makes me sad lol.

How does performance in Horizons compare to vanilla Elite? I'm afraid the planetary stuff would take too much of a toll on my PC.
Well, in vanilla Elite I ran the game at Ultra with my Oculus DK2 with a solid framerate (GTX 780ti). In Horizons if I'm on a planet, even in a base on a planet, I have to drop the quality to Medium, and there are still times where it gets really jerky.

Admittedly, part of that might be because for now the game is no longer using native Oculus code, but using SteamVR as a wrapper.

Good news is that I found that supercruise has been improved a lot performance-wise and for me, it is now the most consistent performing aspect of the game. Though, those improvements should be part of the 1.5 release at least with the 64 bit client, not necessarily Horizons.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So, even though i've owned the game since a long time, i didnt have time to play it due to university, most of the game time i had in the game was in the betas and all of it went poof for release so.. Last night i finally got enough for a Vulture and 2 class 3 gimballled pulse laser. Always made money by ressources sites, bounty hunting with a Viper. I must say, so far, the Vulture kicks ass.

Well, in vanilla Elite I ran the game at Ultra with my Oculus DK2 with a solid framerate (GTX 780ti). In Horizons if I'm on a planet, even in a base on a planet, I have to drop the quality to Medium, and there are still times where it gets really jerky.

Admittedly, part of that might be because for now the game is no longer using native Oculus code, but using SteamVR as a wrapper.

If you're low spec like me, planets murder your performance. I'm on a 650m and was running the normal game at 40fps+ and now with EVERYTHING turned to low and scaled back to 720p I get 22 fps in an SRV, if I'm lucky. I mean considering this shite laptop card and what's going on, I'm not surprised but it still makes me sad lol.

Thanks! As I suspected.. will wait to play Elite until I upgrade then.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So, is this the "EVE, but with combat that can reasonably be called so" we were waiting?

So, is this the "EVE, but with combat that can reasonably be called so" we were waiting?

Not really. Players impact on the galaxy is extremely limited. It is its own thing, the MMO aspects aren't it's strongest points at this point. PvP is something you must seek out in the game universe (though there is a separate round based, matchmaking multiplayer PvP mode called CQC that is actually very good but suffers from matchmaking/population issues.)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Maybe in a few years of content.

Though, i remember peoples shitting on EVE's content early on too hehe.

Elite dangerous is a 10 year project. Lets hope Frontier listens to community and stop making the game Braben wants to play and more something the space fans want. They have to change their mission structure entirely for one.

Saganator

I wouldn't say that, at least not yet. The economy is definitely not player driven and as far as I know there are no meta games outside of ED. No corps with alliances and enemies.

It's like EVE in that you can be dick to other players if you want, and I'm sure there are some other similarities, but I'd feel dishonest describing ED as EVE but with combat.

So, even though i've owned the game since a long time, i didnt have time to play it due to university, most of the game time i had in the game was in the betas and all of it went poof for release so.. Last night i finally got enough for a Vulture and 2 class 3 gimballled pulse laser. Always made money by ressources sites, bounty hunting with a Viper. I must say, so far, the Vulture kicks ass.

Vulture is a game-changer, in terms of combat.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I wouldn't say that, at least not yet. The economy is definitely not player driven and as far as I know there are no meta games outside of ED. No corps with alliances and enemies.

It's like EVE in that you can be dick to other players if you want, and I'm sure there are some other similarities, but I'd feel dishonest describing ED as EVE but with combat.

I'm waiting a few years on this then, i guess = (

There's one, real question i need to ask, though:

Is there anything resembling a "Global auction house" (eg. does the location of a good matter?)

Burny

I'm waiting a few years on this then, i guess = (

There's one, real question i need to ask, though:

Is there anything resembling a "Global auction house" (eg. does the location of a good matter?)

"Better" yet, there is no worthwhile player 2 player trade at all. You buy from and sell to computer controlled stations. You can drop cargo for other players, but there's little point in that other than pirate/trader roleplay.

As for the market there is, yes the location of foods matters. Hauling cargo to a station where it can be sold for profit is one of the main mechanics.

If you're looking for a better featured game that provides a lot of of tools for emerging content from players, you're better off observing how Elite turns out in a year or two. For now the space flight/combat/manual cargo hauling (trading) and exploration are the main draws.

hepburn3d

I can't find a Diamond Back Scout. Where can I find one? Preferably near Lave. Been trying the Viper MK IV but it's not for me. It's all A rated so just want to do a nice swap

Dartastic

So, I've got the original game sitting in my Steam library. Should I start it up, or should I wait to play it until I can use Oculus with it?

Saganator

So, I've got the original game sitting in my Steam library. Should I start it up, or should I wait to play it until I can use Oculus with it?

I'd play it now, so you know what the hell you're doing when you plug in the Oculus. It's not an easy game to just jump into.

Top Bottom