• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Grief.exe

Put in a full load for each side for the CG.

Got one more Sothis run to do and I can just about get a fully outfitted trade Python plus rebuy. That's enough Elite for today, but I'll focus on moving over from the Asp Explorer into that before more CG runs.

Volimar

The Aksyonov hub in Mu Koji has like 500,000 units of explosives.

It has loads of titanium too but there's probably a closer source to that CG.

joecanada

Got that cool million from the blueprint CG for being in the 10% lol. I got mine when I was doing a Sothis run. I took missions to salvage blueprints. I got them and then just abandoned the mission.

Lol that's pretty smart. I said screw it when looking all over for blueprints and not finding any and then seeing the rewards were going to suck anyway.

1 tonne of explosives put me into the top 50%. (testing)
600 tonnes put me into the top 25%. (1 trip)
2400 tonnes put me into the top 10%. (4 trips)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lol that's pretty smart. I said screw it when looking all over for blueprints and not finding any and then seeing the rewards were going to suck anyway.

Thanks!

On my way to Love Orbital, I got interdicted 4 times, lol. Escaped twice. They really wanted my cargo bad.

Burny

I think one way to make exploration interesting really shouldn't be about going here to scan something because it is pretty shallow. Once you discovered the new planet there's not much reason to go back and of course you sell the data. It should have certain game mechanics that makes it interesting and it should get more things out of exploring, and those things you discovered should matter a lot for you personally( not just sheer satisfaction) and affect the simulation a great deal.

Yes, on an abstract level, that's more what could help making exploration interesting. But I'll be frank, I don't have much of a realistic idea what would "fix" exploration. I'm only pretty sure that more variety in POIs and a bit of QoL features is not going to be it.

So I wasn't happy with just having my HOTAS setting on my desk.

As a quick fix a couple months ago I just got some drawer rollers and made to slid out platforms on my desk to set them on. This worked alright but it had many issues and I wasn't a big fan of it.
Xj76P7P.jpg

I've always wanted some MonsterTech HOTAS Stands but they are $96 a piece and for a full set + shipping to the US it's $242.27 so there isn't any way that's gonna happen.

I decided to make my own and do it a hell of a lot cheaper. For around $60 in parts (I'm only in it about $45 since I already had the wood, screws, tools, etc... I only really had to buy the clamps and some specific metal bits) you can build this beauty.

c5TaWWy.jpg

cAOxcrd.jpg

J5svfTT.jpg

Setting Position
dkHaL84.jpg

Standing Position
31Mtowt.jpg

woah, nice idea. They seem kinda low though. What's the actual height of your table?

I somtimes think about crafting an entire "table" for the hands on VR equipment to get them off of my desk. Right now the thrust is left of my keyboard and the stick is relocated all the time when I want to play. Would be great for a racing wheel and the pedals as well. hmmmmm :D

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Debating whether to get my expert combat rating since im sooo close or do more empire navy ranks since im 1 away from my clipper

Or do the CGs despite the fact that I would need a ship just for them

joecanada

Bubba77

Should i even bother trying the CG with my cobra mk3 with 32 cargo space? I have 9.5 mil and was saving for an asp explorer cargo build.

Grief.exe

Should i even bother trying the CG with my cobra mk3 with 32 cargo space? I have 9.5 mil and was saving for an asp explorer cargo build.

Take a couple loads in for each side to get in the top 75% and get a huge payout, but don't kill yourself.

yup that looks like mine alright. I can't bear to take all the weapons off unfortunately because I cant' stand backing down from a fight and I swapped fuel scoop (4a) with shield boosters (5a) but looks good, looks good. I packed mine launchers in mine to mess with people lol.

Pure run, no gun build.

I'm planning to throw together a separate Vulture setup for any combat CGs that come up. I definitely want to get a FAS or FDL going eventually ad I really enjoy the combat, but for now the fastest way to get money seems to be trading.

Volimar

My trusty corded controller decided to not work quite right anymore so now I'm on my battery hog wireless. But at least I don't have it as bad as Mars. It's lost both its moons!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm thinking I might wanna grab an AspX just for being able to do a little bit of everything that isn't combat lol.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0pftiFflidisnf51b1b24242424040404040504402t020101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Gonna try to fit this thing later and hit up the CGs maybe. 112 cargo aint much but the difference with and without shields is literally 8 tonnes and a 24y jump range is good enough for me.

I could push it higher but not by an amount significant enough to merit getting rid of the guns and the power plant.

Jedi2016

And the bitch of it is that I don't actually want anything from Qwent, but he's the only way to unlock Palin for Grade 5 thrusters. My Courier needs those. It needs them.

And the bitch of it is that I don't actually want anything from Qwent, but he's the only way to unlock Palin for Grade 5 thrusters. My Courier needs those. It needs them.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the courier is probably better off with grade 3 thrusters from Farseer.

Why? Well I'm glad you asked.

Light ships' maximum speed is heavily punished by reduced optimal mass. You can only get so light on them before they become glass. Grade 3 thrusters give strong multiplier rolls (you can approach grade 5 multipliers with good secondaries) at the cost of minimal optimal mass loss. You can even roll a higher than normal optimal multiplier. And what's better is those mats are far eaiser to farm so you can keep on rolling until you get just that. Also, lower thermal load.

Honestly, Palin is only needed for big, heavy ships that don't care about optimal mass losses and ships you want to roll silent running on. That is anything faster and/or lighter than a Python should probably roll Grade 3.

You can save some energy and frustration for now if you like and come back to worrying about Palin much later.

Source: I've rolled 6 ships to max and learned from my mistakes.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Exploring more tonight. Found this neat planet that is in a very tight orbit with another.

Cool pic. I'm always on the lookout for planets or moons in tight orbits, they make for great screenshots. On my way home from Jacques last week I came across two small potato moons in a close binary orbit around this water world:

joecanada

Take a couple loads in for each side to get in the top 75% and get a huge payout, but don't kill yourself.

Pure run, no gun build.

I'm planning to throw together a separate Vulture setup for any combat CGs that come up. I definitely want to get a FAS or FDL going eventually ad I really enjoy the combat, but for now the fastest way to get money seems to be trading.

Ya me too I'd probably go python + fdl before buying a conda. Trading is great but I can't do it forever ... Although a conda can hit pretty hard if you learn to maneuver in it

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
After spending a few days hanging out doing RES bounty hunting I have to say, I don't really see the benefit in doing haz RES when high RES is available.

Kills in haz RES payout exactly the same as kills in high RES, the only difference is in haz RES there are no cops to speed things up, I guess the argument is that cops can't just kill things on their own in a haz RES, but in a high RES you kill things so much faster it just ends up being way more money, also since you don't use up as much ammo / defensive counter measures per kill you can stay in the site for longer.

I can make 1.5m in ~20min of chillin in a high RES, but in a haz RES it can take up to 3 times as long to make the same payout.

Sibylus

Banned
How much tons are usually needed to get a decent payout from these community goals? I'm in an AspX with 112 tons of cargo space and a one jump loop. Doing Imperial explosives.

Dizzy-4U

Silly question: Why disengaging from supercruise to a station changes from 1km, 8km and 10km? Is it because of the mass of the station?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Silly question: Why disengaging from supercruise to a station changes from 1km, 8km and 10km? Is it because of the mass of the station?

Dropping out of super cruise is without a doubt one of the most hilariously unpredicable mechanics in this game, for stations I think it always puts you just outside docking request range to prevent people from accidentally dropping inside the station and getting blown up. But occasionally it drops you way further out for seemingly no reason. Some times both lines are in the blue and yet I drop and I'm 30km out.

Dropping into RES is also just the weirdest thing, if I manually drop out in the blue zones I end up like 50km out but if I just slow down and crash into the rings I can drop anywhere from 10km to 90km out.

SmartBase

How would you guys even make exploring more interesting without making it tedious?

Bit late to this but here goes and in no particular order:

1. Get close(r) to planet, scan, triple payout.

2. Land on planet, collect sample/scan/whatever, quadruple payout.

3. Scale payouts based on distance from main stellar body (assuming microjumps are forever relegated to the """""to-do-list""""")

Same old pointing and scanning tedium just with better pay for closer inspections and an incentive to go deeper into a system. No new mechanics required.

joecanada

How much tons are usually needed to get a decent payout from these community goals? I'm in an AspX with 112 tons of cargo space and a one jump loop. Doing Imperial explosives.

I've found a couple hundred tons can sometimes get you in top 50 but you may need to keep it up if the goals progress all the way to tier 7... When I had a smaller ship 100 tons would always get me in top 75 which was a good payout at the time.

400-500 should get you in top 50 but anything could possibly happen. This is just from the last 5 or so I did.

Got to do two more Sothis runs and I can upgrade to a Python.

Better get started.

Can you elaborate a bit more on Sothis runs ?

Im asking because im FAR FAR REALLLY FAR away from the bubble and dont want to speed my return unless this is something "special".

Thanks.

Top Bottom