• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Grief.exe

Can you elaborate a bit more on Sothis runs ?

Im asking because im FAR FAR REALLLY FAR away from the bubble and dont want to speed my return unless this is something "special".

Thanks.

It's not anything special. Just a few stations in the Sothis and Ceos systems that are about 500ly out of the bubble. At that distance, they have missions worth over 1 million credits for transporting around 10 units of cargo. Stack a bunch of those and you're golden.

Saganator

Im asking because im FAR FAR REALLLY FAR away from the bubble and dont want to speed my return unless this is something "special".

Thanks.

Sothis is just Robingo v2.0. It's a place to get long distance trade missions. As far as I know, it's probably the quickest, safest, and most boring way to earn good money in ED. Unless you're hard up for money, you're not missing out on anything.

Just got Horizons, and I'm looking to get SRVs. I have an Adder right now, and I'm looking to upgrade my ship to a Diamondback Explorer. Do you think it would have enough space for:

-an SRV
-Fuel Scoop
-Advanced Discovery Scanner
-Detailed Surface Scanner
-Cargo Hatch

Just got Horizons, and I'm looking to get SRVs. I have an Adder right now, and I'm looking to upgrade my ship to a Diamondback Explorer. Do you think it would have enough space for:

-an SRV
-Fuel Scoop
-Advanced Discovery Scanner
-Detailed Surface Scanner
-Cargo Hatch

It has a lot of space for that. And cargo hatches are standard on every ship.

Sothis is just Robingo v2.0. It's a place to get long distance trade missions. As far as I know, it's probably the quickest, safest, and most boring way to earn good money in ED. Unless you're hard up for money, you're not missing out on anything.

It's not anything special. Just a few stations in the Sothis and Ceos systems that are about 500ly out of the bubble. At that distance, they have missions worth over 1 million credits for transporting around 10 units of cargo. Stack a bunch of those and you're golden.

Meh, im already an Elite in trading.

Guess ill stay exploring ! Thanks CMDRs

Grief.exe

Pretty much, though it's very relaxing for me.

I like this political podcast called Keeping it 1600 that I throw up, lean back with a nice cup of coffee, and relax.

Sibylus

Banned
I've found a couple hundred tons can sometimes get you in top 50 but you may need to keep it up if the goals progress all the way to tier 7... When I had a smaller ship 100 tons would always get me in top 75 which was a good payout at the time.

400-500 should get you in top 50 but anything could possibly happen. This is just from the last 5 or so I did.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. That seems readily attainable (love the jump range on this beaut), but we'll see what happens!

DrBo42

No one is talking about the newsletter? Beta announcement.

"We’re thrilled to let you know that you’ll be jumping in your ship-launched fighters, taking on passenger missions, piloting the Beluga liner and experiencing the rest of the amazing list of features coming to 2.2 The Guardians this coming Tuesday 20th September."

It's good news but I'm not chomping at the bit to test the beta. It does mean we are probably looking at a release early October though based on the typical beta timing. Curious if ship transfer is definitely delayed now.

DrBo42

It's good news but I'm not chomping at the bit to test the beta. It does mean we are probably looking at a release early October though based on the typical beta timing. Curious if ship transfer is definitely delayed now.

I always like to jump in and experience the new stuff with people. Servers are a nightmare though.

joecanada

Thanks.

I'll let grief give you the details of the Sothis run but if you are "south " of the bubble (whatever that relative position is downward) Sothis / Ceos may be on your way back from wherever you are....

Also does anyone else find just staying in Sothis/Ceos profitable? seems every time I am there I am able to get 1.5 million - 3 million dollar missions just running back and forth in the Sothis/Ceos area. this is only 9 ly, so why leave for the long haul home?? maybe these are more rare than I think??

joecanada

Thanks for sharing your experiences. That seems readily attainable (love the jump range on this beaut), but we'll see what happens!

ya I've come to believe they are pretty attainable because there's some nuts (some around here too I see lol) who put in like 2000 tons to be in the top 99 percentile.... because of this the majority of the tonnage is actually put in by the top 75% or more of people who are trying to really get up there.....

which means that the bottom people only contribute a small relative amount. get in early and just monitor the situation is what I do, usually aim to get in the top 1% but if its something I like, I may hit top 25%.... I don't find you have to put in more than a few hours to hit top 50%.... and that's about where my limit of trying gets me haha. sometimes I slip though to top 75% if I am away for a day and that kind of stings

( I mean the money doubles for each tier so dropping a tier last minute hurts).

Volimar

They really spoiled us with those big payout CGs. I wonder when we'll see them again. Maybe when we start getting Jacques Station CGs.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
They really spoiled us with those big payout CGs. I wonder when we'll see them again. Maybe when we start getting Jacques Station CGs.

So far the Jacques CG's have paid very average to low. I've done all of them, but if I had been in the bubble for those couple of immense paying CG's I'd have made more credits in one CG than I have in two years of playing Elite. TWO YEARS.

No, I think those big CG's were rounding errors, and I don't think we'll be seeing the likes of them again unless someone makes another typo at Frontier.

joecanada

Does anyone have recommendations for good "home systems" to chill out in from time to time?

criteria would be :

- hub or base with good modules for purchase (anaconda and FDL probably)
- haz res and high res nearby (like really near the nav beacon or base)
- hub near star (no 20000 ls journeys for me)
- possible trading route or nearby.
- federation allied to build rep

also are there other criteria people search for when choosing home bases ? (near sothis run, near center, near something else??

I had LFT 154A but it doesn't have a haz res I think ( I only saw high res there). other than that though I recommend LFT 154a as being a 8/10 on that list.

I can search manually but it takes a while.... so any recommendations are welcome.

Grief.exe

Was just messing around with the high resolution screenshot mode, almost made a huge mistake.

Had some more drop offs to do from my Sothis run this morning, but I saw the system I was in had a gas giant with an icy ring so I decide to make a stop off at a combat site to take some screenshots.
As soon as I go into the screenshot mode, I hear scan detected, by the time I react and get back into piloting I'm already getting shredded. I try to escape, but shields go down and I panicked and alt-f4. Everything turned out fine, but my heart was pumping like crazy.

29641978551_1a3aec9bd1_o.jpg

I redownloaded this tonight. I got bored of it at launch but time to give it another shot.

It's improved tremendously in terms of breadth of content, still has a long way to go but significantly better. Community goals and planet landings really add to the gameplay.

It's improved tremendously in terms of breadth of content, still has a long way to go but significantly better. Community goals and planet landings really add to the gameplay.

I haven't got Horizon so I can't land on planets but if I get into it enough I'll buy the expansion too.

Dizzy-4U

Can't believe I'm flying an Anaconda already. It felt so unobtainable just a couple of weeks ago but those CGs were a game changer.

The ship feels kinda empty though when I look at the sides. They need to implement an NPC system where I can hire pilots to do at least basic stuff. I dunno, instead of buying a docking module, let me hire a pilot to do it for me or stuff like that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Does anyone have recommendations for good "home systems" to chill out in from time to time?

criteria would be :

- hub or base with good modules for purchase (anaconda and FDL probably)
- haz res and high res nearby (like really near the nav beacon or base)
- hub near star (no 20000 ls journeys for me)
- possible trading route or nearby.
- federation allied to build rep

also are there other criteria people search for when choosing home bases ? (near sothis run, near center, near something else??

I had LFT 154A but it doesn't have a haz res I think ( I only saw high res there). other than that though I recommend LFT 154a as being a 8/10 on that list.

I can search manually but it takes a while.... so any recommendations are welcome.

I'm currently based at HIP 20277, it's basically what you would be looking for if you replaced federation with imperial.

The main station is on like 2k ly from the star and has 4-5 RES ranging from low to haz in the rings of a planet 7ly out.

The station has a huge array of modules but the ship yard is a bit lacking in thst you can't buy fed ships or an FdL, you can buy a good selection of ships but no condas, cutters or t9s.

It gets a good amount of CMDR traffic too if you wanna get criminal.

My main criteria for finding a good system to just chill at is one that offers all the modules I commonly swap and RES sites near a station for that "instant action" type of feel.

I'm a simple man.

What the....that works?

Yep the dreaded combat log. It's super annoying when you're in a 10 min duel with another CMDR and they just pull the plug.

Volimar

Can't believe I'm flying an Anaconda already. It felt so unobtainable just a couple of weeks ago but those CGs were a game changer.

The ship feels kinda empty though when I look at the sides. They need to implement an NPC system where I can hire pilots to do at least basic stuff. I dunno, instead of buying a docking module, let me hire a pilot to do it for me or stuff like that.

They say AI crew is in the works.

Pomerlaw

Was just messing around with the high resolution screenshot mode, almost made a huge mistake.

Had some more drop offs to do from my Sothis run this morning, but I saw the system I was in had a gas giant with an icy ring so I decide to make a stop off at a combat site to take some screenshots.
As soon as I go into the screenshot mode, I hear scan detected, by the time I react and get back into piloting I'm already getting shredded. I try to escape, but shields go down and I panicked and alt-f4. Everything turned out fine, but my heart was pumping like crazy.

It looks so good.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It was single player since I was playing around with the high resolution screenshot, but I assumed it would be different if you were online.

Yeah I mean you're connected to the server even in solo and the way the server deals with a sudden drop in connection to a client is just to stop updating all values on them.

I don't really blame you for doing it vs NPCs but in pvp it makes me sad.

Volimar

If I had to work the docks in one of those stations and hear that 2001 music all day I'd probably go on a killing spree.

It was single player since I was playing around with the high resolution screenshot, but I assumed it would be different if you were online.

Well I'll be sure to give it a shot the next time a dangerous assault ship is giving me the works. Insurance is getting expensive. I play in Mobius, so I don't have to worry about other CMDRs.

joecanada

I'm currently based at HIP 20277, it's basically what you would be looking for if you replaced federation with imperial.

The main station is on like 2k ly from the star and has 4-5 RES ranging from low to haz in the rings of a planet 7ly out.

The station has a huge array of modules but the ship yard is a bit lacking in thst you can't buy fed ships or an FdL, you can buy a good selection of ships but no condas, cutters or t9s.

It gets a good amount of CMDR traffic too if you wanna get criminal.

My main criteria for finding a good system to just chill at is one that offers all the modules I commonly swap and RES sites near a station for that "instant action" type of feel.

I'm a simple man.

Thanks I'll bookmark that one for imperial rep

"Don't worry we'll buff out the scratches"

"You can't buff scratches out of gold paint you idiot, that's coming straight outta your pay !

The Cowboy

Wohooo, got an X52 for £20 (really great condition to), man it is hard to get used to - doing all the training missions before i even touch my Python with it :D.

This flight stick with GAVPI (voice coms) makes me want a triple monitor setup, i am getting a proper ship commander feel now :p.

Volimar

^Reminds me of the Delta Flyer from Voyager. Grats on your purchase.

I've never been able to get used to flight stick controllers. A shame too because my wireless 360 controller has that old "one of the sticks pulls in one direction too much" problem. And it was my spare. Bummer.

Sibylus

Banned
Alright, I'm setting the controller down for a little bit. Top 25%, 2,300~ tonnes of Explosives delivered with my AspX.

Should I feel comfortable?

Grief.exe

Is there a way to show number of jumps in the galaxy map menu. I see it has some functionality to calculate fully loaded runs, but then you have to back all the way out to see number of jumps?

Alright, I'm setting the controller down for a little bit. Top 25%, 2,300~ tonnes of Explosives delivered with my AspX.

Should I feel comfortable?

One Courier can bring in the better part of 1000 units per load. Don't try to kill yourself on these in an Asp Explorer.

If you're going to do something that tedious, I would recommend going out to Sothis/Ceos runs.

Top Bottom