• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

My combat ready Python is worth somewhere around 110 million I believe.

Sothis/Ceos are still golden. I've made almost $200 million over the past 3 days.

Good news. My fully engineer combat python can be pretty quickly converted to holding 200T of cargo. I should get back to doing some of those runs because they're fun to do (money doesn't hurt).

DrBo42

I just got a message titled "Tip off" about a crashed ship with interesting data. Since it gives a lon/lat position for the ship I'm guessing it crashed on the planet and I won't be able to do anything since I don't have Horizons. I'm also guessing that since the message talked about an encrypted key in my computer that sharing the location with others would be meaningless since the info is encrypted...

Is that right?

Right on both counts.

Grief.exe

I'd recommend saving until you hit maybe $120 million to outfit that Python right. That should only be 3 or 4 Sothis runs unless they got nerfed.

The Python I had outfitted for trading in Coriolis was around 75 million total, but that was likely with perfect discounts.

If there's a combat CG, I'll likely throw together a Vulture build.

Saganator

So I noticed this last night and I can't unsee it every time I jump. Don't like it being painfully obvious I'm flying through a series of PNG images. Is there a mod or setting that fixes this?
63cx8aI.png

Sothis/Ceos are still golden. I've made almost $200 million over the past 3 days.

Starting to think I'm doing something wrong in Sothis/Ceos runs. I'm lucky to net 10 million with a lot of going back and forth and logging in and out to get the missions. I mostly get missions worth 800k to 4 million (usually 2 million). Will it pick up once I hit friendly?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I love going to haz res sites with my courier, taking on FdLs with it never gets boring.

Made another crappy bounty hunting video with my courier this time. trying to improve at flying it so I'm being slightly more daring also trying to get used to unlocking to fire as fixed when they deploy chaff. Shame the other AI had to butt in so many times lol, it's what I get for going to a high res instead of a haz res I guess.

Sorry if the music doesnt fit lol, it was just the only song I had that fit the run time the closest.

So I noticed this last night and I can't unsee it every time I jump. Don't like it being painfully obvious I'm flying through a series of PNG images. Is there a mod or setting that fixes this?

I see that too. I think it's some sort of bug introduced recently. I believe it is related to the bug that makes the dark sides of planets suddenly become grey instead of dark after a few seconds.

Sibylus

Banned

Starting to think I'm doing something wrong in Sothis/Ceos runs. I'm lucky to net 10 million with a lot of going back and forth and logging in and out to get the missions. I mostly get missions worth 800k to 4 million (usually 2 million). Will it pick up once I hit friendly?

Looks like the alpha of a cloud particle bugging out almost.

joecanada

Seems right, 2- 4 million is what I aim for but the key is less cargo I think for more money. Like I've gotten 1million for 8 cargo which is great and I've been offered 3 million for 44 cargo which is bad in relation to. So if say you were real picky and got about 1 million for 8 cargo, my anaconda holds 240 cargo so 30 x 1 million. 30 million. But I'm not usually that picky ill settle for 2 million for say 20 cargo sometimes .... Also don't know if it's random but I find Sothis mining wayy better than any other.

I love going to haz res sites with my courier, taking on FdLs with it never gets boring.

Made another crappy bounty hunting video with my courier this time. trying to improve at flying it so I'm being slightly more daring also trying to get used to unlocking to fire as fixed when they deploy chaff. Shame the other AI had to butt in so many times lol, it's what I get for going to a high res instead of a haz res I guess.

Sorry if the music doesnt fit lol, it was just the only song I had that fit the run time the closest.

Nice video. I still only use flight assist off in hard fights so I applaud you practicing with it . I actually should practice more I almost never need it in PvE.

Saganator

Looks like the alpha of a cloud particle bugging out almost.

I only noticed it after I enabled SSAA a couple days ago, and I have over 50 hours played. I didn't get a chance to play tonight so I can't test it out if that's the problem until tomorrow.

Seems right, 2- 4 million is what I aim for but the key is less cargo I think for more money. Like I've gotten 1million for 8 cargo which is great and I've been offered 3 million for 44 cargo which is bad in relation to. So if say you were real picky and got about 1 million for 8 cargo, my anaconda holds 240 cargo so 30 x 1 million. 30 million. But I'm not usually that picky ill settle for 2 million for say 20 cargo sometimes .... Also don't know if it's random but I find Sothis mining wayy better than any other.

Ah I guess it's my less than awesome Asp Explorer's cargo capacity, I think I have like 88 cargo. I find the Mining Station to be better as well. That New Dawn place often doesn't even have a mission to offer at all.

My exploring continues. Last night though I came in a little hot to a planet, realized I had turned off orbit lines to take some screenshots. Turned them on just in time to realize I was about to blaze into the orbital cruise zone. Took 2% hull damage 4600ly away from civilization, so I guess I won't be making it back "without a scratch". :)

Oh well though... onwards and corewards.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I only noticed it after I enabled SSAA a couple days ago, and I have over 50 hours played. I didn't get a chance to play tonight so I can't test it out if that's the problem until tomorrow.

No setting will make it better I’m afraid. They changed the hyperspace “room” a patch or two ago to make it “larger” to accommodate some upcoming stuff, but in the process the in-hyperspace graphic tiles become much less immersive and more noticeably just graphic tiles. It’s especially bad if you look at them sideways as they pass by. I’m hoping that the hyperspace changes for 2.2 fixes them up, although it’s honestly not a huge deal to me. I usually grab a bite of my snack, or a sip of my drink, or change the video playing on my tablet during hyperspace anyway so I’m rarely paying attention to it!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Nice video. I still only use flight assist off in hard fights so I applaud you practicing with it . I actually should practice more I almost never need it in PvE.

Thanks! It's fun trying to get more comfortable using FA off to make 180s without flying all over the place (this is the hard part for me lol), and yeah the enemy AI is usually pretty dumb and mainly try to joust you so they're perfect for practice.

That being said the AI is super quick to react to getting shot at which makes practicing using fixed against anything smaller than an anaconda a hassle.

Grief.exe

Can you fix a gimbaled weapon?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Can you fix a gimbaled weapon?

Technically yes but it won't get any of the stat benefits of being fixed lol, mostly just a counter to chaff.

What you do is break lock with the target and your weapons will fire dead center as if they were fixed.

I believe I attempt do it in the video vs the anaconda on its second chaff.

Atomski

hmm I havent tried having flight assists off.. so it helps you flip around quicker?

Once you hit friendly and allied with the mission givers the amount greatly increases. For example I got a couple missions last night giving 9 and 10mil each, for shuttling 80-120 tonnes each.

Do you mission stack by logging? My Cutter has 600+ storage space so I log to stack missions until I'm full.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
hmm I havent tried having flight assists off.. so it helps you flip around quicker?

With F/A off you keep your current momentum while doing other actions which in some cases helps to turn quicker. Mostly I feel like it makes spinning and moving the ship while maintaining trajectory and speed a lot "faster" as there are no counter acting forces.

So think of it like this, if you're pitching up normally to try and turn with FA on your ship is putting the retro thrust so you don't overshoot the desired amount you wanna pitch. With FA off you can exploit the lack of resistance by laterally thrusting down as you pitch up to make your ship do a 180 wayyy faster. If you down thrust while pitching up with FA on you are just gonna end up making a U turn instead of literally spinning in place.

In fights I usually toggle it on and off a bunch to maintain certain angles on the target and to manage positioning.

In that video against the fer de lance I feel like you can see most of the uses for FA off.

Reckheim

First of all, for the new players; just wanted to inform you that there is actually a NeoGAF faction right now in the game, below is a link for more info.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105433

Admittedly no one has been really doing anything about it (even tho some tried) but there really isn't any benefit to growing it past what it already is as there aren't any rewards associated with it.

The reason I bring this up is because I just received the below email from Zac, its addressed to all the groups and I figure some of you guys might be interested.

I wanted to get in touch with you to talk about Jaques and the population of the second bubble.

Many Commanders have been taking part in the development of this bubble roughly 20,000 light years from our current human space. The response has been fantastic and the first planetary port is now in. Soon we will see a small number of NPC minor factions develop as the bubble begins to be colonised and we’re asking you, our loyal player groups, to come and join in!

As groups, you have grown and developed your factions over the last year + and now you can have the chance to create a second, mirrored faction and planetary port set up in the new bubble.

Here’s what we’re considering…

Every month player groups would nominate themselves to try and build a branch of their faction near Jaques. Each month we will hold a public vote and the groups with the most votes will be selected to get complete a CG. If their groups completes the CG then they will have built a faction near Jaques.

Then the fun really starts. As with all factions the background sim changes. If your faction was to retreat fully, the final place it will be retreated to will be Jaques station itself. This means that any faction retreated all the way back to Jaques would be removed and effectively removed from the new bubble. Consider this a new space, somewhere that powers haven’t taken dominance over yet and you can join and become a part of the story, form meaningful alliances and gain and hold your own territory.

Logistically, we would probably start off with a larger number of groups in the first month try the CG and then each month we would get a small number of groups from the votes to do the CG and attempt to head out there.

All factions created after a successful CG will be added into a location and with the base type and economy type being determined by Frontier and will be a completely new faction in the second bubble. This to allow the process to be manageable.

What we would like is your feedback. We want to know how many groups would be interested in taking part and having their own CG to get a faction out in the second bubble.

All thoughts welcome. Please do reply back and let us know your thoughts and if you and your band of space brothers would be interested in taking on new frontiers.

Zac Antonaci

Head of Community

Frontier Developments

Mengy

Interesting email Reckheim. Very interesting.

On one hand I’d love to move the NeoGAF faction out to the new bubble around Jacques, as that’s where I plan to be for a long time. BUT, on the other hand the NeoGAF faction is currently in the awesome system of Apam Napat, and I’d kind of hate to give such a scenic system up.

Reckheim

On one hand I’d love to move the NeoGAF faction out to the new bubble around Jacques, as that’s where I plan to be for a long time. BUT, on the other hand the NeoGAF faction is currently in the awesome system of Apam Napat, and I’d kind of hate to give such a scenic system up.

Based on the below

All factions created after a successful CG will be added into a location and with the base type and economy type being determined by Frontier and will be a completely new faction in the second bubble. This to allow the process to be manageable.

It would be a brand new faction. Something like Neo NeoGAF.

I'm not sure if people would be willing to dedicate their time to this tho. I'm game tho (just don't want to be the only one doing it as its practically impossible by your self; I've tried).

Grief.exe

Are there a few stations popping up out there?

Mengy

Are there a few stations popping up out there?

Currently there is just Jacques Station and the new Colonia Hub surface outpost, nothing else yet. I’m half expecting to see some new CG’s out there tomorrow at the surface base, which I’d expect will both grow Colonia Hub to include full services AND in time spread some new bases too, and eventually build some permanent orbital outposts or stations as well.

I have my Python and my Courier outfitted how I want them now, and after I get a few more of my ships modded up (ready for the 2.2 transfers) I’ll be taking my Asp back out to Jacques and not coming back to civilization for a very long time. So all of this activity out there sounds wonderful to me!

joecanada

Ah I guess it's my less than awesome Asp Explorer's cargo capacity, I think I have like 88 cargo. I find the Mining Station to be better as well. That New Dawn place often doesn't even have a mission to offer at all.

the other good thing about those sothis missions is that once in a while you seem to get a really good one.
last week I got a mission from sothis (the hub) and I was just heading to sothis mining (to fill up on quota) and I got an update so I was like "oh great another deliver this one in 1.5 seconds for a bonus lol" but it was actually a change of location from 400ly to sothis hub!!!! So that was an easy 1mil. Just went back into mission screen and turned in!! imagine if you could do this consistently??!

then last night I got a mission (I'm cordial now I think) from the hub again and it was deliver 6 slaves to Ceos for 3.5 million. Not bad for a 9 ly jump. Of course I am still planning to come back to sothis mining for the big run but I did see one or two mission at new dawn.... I still believe sothis mining is the shit.

Edit - yes you have a bit less space than some for cargo... but at least take heart in that you can make it up with jump range right?? My conda fits 240 cargo but max jump is like 20.8, so laden I'm getting more like 15.... it takes me a solid hour to get out of the bubble. the sothis run in total usually takes 3-4 hours or more, depending on what I'm doing.

Yeah I know all that. I was just wondering what the global awards are that we're suppose to get in addition to the tiered rewards.

Thanks. I'm at 98% cadet.

Ohhh... I believe global rewards are things like the clues and other stuff that lead us to the next bit of a story?? that's what they were for some of the previous... leading to hints and clues etc...

Volimar

Encountered my first capital ship at Merope while exploring the Pleiades. Also, my first black hole at Maia.

Maia is a great spot for sightseeing. Get a little distance from the star and you have a great view from inside the nebula. You'll have plenty of time to admire it on the way to the black hole. The hole isn't much to look at but the distortion around it is a little freaky as you close in on it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So, is there a way to join the neoGAF faction or do I just do missions for them to get their influence up?

It works like any other minor faction in the game so just do missions for them and im assuming you probably want to avoid doing charity missions since that seems to drop influence even though it boosts rep.

Atomski

It works like any other minor faction in the game so just do missions for them and im assuming you probably want to avoid doing charity missions since that seems to drop influence even though it boosts rep.
Yeah I went out there and the only mission Neo had was donation.. lame.

If you get a lot of influence in a system does anything happen?

I'll have to Google this stuff.. didn't realise it was part of the game.

Mengy

So I just accidentally came across a tiny unscanned single system nebula with a neutron star in it, pretty chuffed.

They are out there but difficult to find one that isn’t already tagged. I’ve honestly never come across one that wasn’t tagged, so kudos to you!

Reckheim

nothing really, we become the controlling faction when we have the most influence and i think we have to go through a war state ( to take over the current leading faction).

As far as i know it doesn't really give us anything special hence I kind of gave up on the whole idea.

Reckheim

They are out there but difficult to find one that isn’t already tagged. I’ve honestly never come across one that wasn’t tagged, so kudos to you!

I'm exploring right now and heading to the less visited areas so i'm hoping to find at least one, I know there inst much of a chance tho but one can hope.

Pomerlaw

My faction gained enough influence to get the control of another station in our home system and expand into 3 other systems.

Reckheim

My faction gained enough influence to get the control of another station in our home system and expand into 3 other systems.

Yeh, I think neogaf is in a neighboring system as well (or it used to be). Cant remember which one.

But whats the point of expansion if there isn't any benefit from it?

Mengy

Yeh, I think neogaf is in a neighboring system as well (or it used to be). Cant remember which one.

Bragging rights, but that’s about it for now.

DrBo42

There's no point to any of the minor factions other than getting higher paying missions and a sense of pride I guess if you're working with others to build it to station ownership etc. They really need to implement group ownership and guilds.

Such a buzz kill in VR, one of the things i'm most looking forward to, silly as it may seem.
Indeed, it's even worse in VR
I see that too. I think it's some sort of bug introduced recently. I believe it is related to the bug that makes the dark sides of planets suddenly become grey instead of dark after a few seconds.
Yep, started with 2.1 I guess. Not quite sure if it really was 2.1 but it wasn't like that some time ago.
No setting will make it better I’m afraid. They changed the hyperspace “room” a patch or two ago to make it “larger” to accommodate some upcoming stuff, but in the process the in-hyperspace graphic tiles become much less immersive and more noticeably just graphic tiles. It’s especially bad if you look at them sideways as they pass by. I’m hoping that the hyperspace changes for 2.2 fixes them up, although it’s honestly not a huge deal to me. I usually grab a bite of my snack, or a sip of my drink, or change the video playing on my tablet during hyperspace anyway so I’m rarely paying attention to it!
At times when retrieving data from the servers is slow as hell and you are stuck in Hyperspace for a lot of seconds up to minutes you can take a closer look at it. As mentioned it's even worse in VR. You can even see the wall of stars that's coming at you every now and then. It's a Flat texture with the stars on on. You kinda fly through it just to get a new one on the "horizon" :D

I hate the Hyperspace jumps, especially because they are so slow. They are the main reason I don't want to get to Jacques and such. 80% of the time getting there is looking at "5,4,3,2,1" and the HS loading :(

Volimar

Still in the top 10% for my one technical blueprint in the CG. Meaning if you find one, there's a cool million in it for you if you turn it in.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Still in the top 10% for my one technical blueprint in the CG. Meaning if you find one, there's a cool million in it for you if you turn it in.

I probably spent several hours exploring for the fun of it to try and track down what the goal was asking for, but after the fun ran out, I realized I could easily make double or more what the reward was by doing other things :p

I think this goal must be bugged, because it doesn't make any sense what it is asking you to do, and the fact that no one has made any real progress on the goal after a week.

I've decided to build myself some custom desk HOTAS mounts because holy fuck are Monster Tech mounts expensive.

Have some ideas (basically going to copy them but cheaper).

Top Bottom