• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Grief.exe

Jackpot. Look at that payout and light year distance.

8WndlMA.jpg

Cg isn't looking too good? I'm out currently all day

I'm sure the payouts will get better as the tier progresses, but I can probably make more money for the time invested doing Sothis runs. Plus I just want that Anaconda.

Volimar

How lazy do you have to be to claim the planets and not the moons.

Btw, changing my name to CMDR Blue Balls since that seems to be the only type of unclaimed planet I can find.

StonedRider

How am I supposed to receive invitation to Marco Qwent?

I am allied with Sirius Corporation and have Sirius permit, Elvira Martuuk already told me about Marco. I am in Sirius system now, completed some more missions for Sirius Corporation, but still no invitation to Marco. Am I missing something?

I just spent two hours blasting cargo ships to pieces in an anarchy Nav beacon looking for chemical manipulators, and I only got one for all of that time and destruction. I wish these things were easier to find.

For me chemical manipulators dropped from Type-9 and Type-7 only. Actually, all this rng after rng after rng make me sad.

The Cowboy

Having the Engineer roll some dice for me

29758607385_217ca009d8_h.jpg

What you going for?, on my Python so far i have.

Increased FSD Range: Level 4 (just over 37% Opt Mass).
2x Resistance Augmented Shield Boosters: Level 2 max roll (all 7.5%).
Thermal Resistant Shields: Level 3 (33%).
2x Rapid Charge Shield Cell Bank: (on level 6 & 5 banks).
Dirty Drive Tuning: Level 3 (Opt Mul 19%).
2x Short Range Blaster Level 2 on large Mul Cans (Range now 3200ish on both, 1 with Corrosive Shell & 1 with Incendiary Rounds).

Currently i'm trying to unlock the other Engineers so i can do my Beam Lasers/Plasma Accelerator with a couple of mods (then I'm going for the hull/armour mods).

Grief.exe

That was intense.

I was listening to CNN and forgot to request docking. I hear alarms blaring as I enter the station. Do a sharp turn in the station at full speed, and boost out.

Sweating.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
That was intense.

I was listening to CNN and forgot to request docking. I hear alarms blaring as I enter the station. Do a sharp turn in the station at full speed, and boost out.

Sweating.

That happens to me like three times a week. ADD is a bitch.

golem

What you going for?, on my Python so far i have.

Increased FSD Range: Level 4 (just over 37% Opt Mass).
2x Resistance Augmented Shield Boosters: Level 2 max roll (all 7.5%).
Thermal Resistant Shields: Level 3 (33%).
2x Rapid Charge Shield Cell Bank: (on level 6 & 5 banks).
Dirty Drive Tuning: Level 3 (Opt Mul 19%).
2x Short Range Blaster Level 2 on large Mul Cans (Range now 3200ish on both, 1 with Corrosive Shell & 1 with Incendiary Rounds).

Currently i'm trying to unlock the other Engineers so i can do my Beam Lasers/Plasma Accelerator with a couple of mods (then I'm going for the hull/armour mods).

This is actually my first time messing with Engineers after taking a bit of an elite break. All of those mods sound great haha. How do you unlock more engineers? I see I have a couple listed on my screen already.

Grief.exe

Sothis run completed, another 50 million in the bag. Need to do one more run to upgrade to the Anaconda.

Will probably get that done tonight.

vector824

That was intense.

Sweating.

Did that last week thinking, "Why is everything mad at me?! I just want to land here!"

Jedi2016

Server issue... while I'm out in the black... with about 40 million in unclaimed exploration data... in an unshielded ship. Really bad timing, FD.

Grief.exe

you getting 50mill runs out of sothis? fucking solid!

I could have probably made more, but I didn't sell some of those items they reward you for data deliver. So I was wasting about 30 units of cargo!

Tempted to make a few runs during the Emmys, got that 'conda fever too. What ship are you using?

I was using an Asp Explorer, then upgraded to a Python with maxed out jump range on both. You can check back in the thread and I have builds posted.

That's exactly what I do too, I turn on CNN, Keepin it 1600 podcast, or I have football on now, then grind away.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, I have determined that T9's are by far the best source of chemical manipulators. I managed to get a dozen of them by just focusing on destroying T9's. Also, I only just now realized that grade 5 FSD no longer requires polonium, YAY!!! Did a few rolls each on a few of my ships, got my Python up to a 43% increased range (she manages 32.4 lys rigged for mining), got my exploration Courier up to 36.5 lys, and I even managed to eek out a little more range on my Asp Explorer, she can now jump 50.27 lys, that means with a level 3 jumponium boost I can jump well over 100 lys of range, especially if I jump with a mostly empty fuel tank!

I'm happy with that. I think I'll head out towards the galactic edge near the Monkey Head nebula and see if I can find any far off systems that are undiscovered yet!

Volimar

I had 4 pages of exploration data and loads of firsts and it only moved my exploration up 7%. The grind is real. Still no earthlikes or water worlds with my name on them yet.

Jedi2016

Well, I have determined that T9's are by far the best source of chemical manipulators. I managed to get a dozen of them by just focusing on destroying T9's. Also, I only just now realized that grade 5 FSD no longer requires polonium, YAY!!! Did a few rolls each on a few of my ships, got my Python up to a 43% increased range (she manages 32.4 lys rigged for mining), got my exploration Courier up to 36.5 lys, and I even managed to eek out a little more range on my Asp Explorer, she can now jump 50.27 lys, that means with a level 3 jumponium boost I can jump well over 100 lys of range, especially if I jump with a mostly empty fuel tank!

I'm happy with that. I think I'll head out towards the galactic edge near the Monkey Head nebula and see if I can find any far off systems that are undiscovered yet!
Yeah, that's what I'm grinding towards right now. I'm hanging on to my exploration data from my last jaunt so I can level up Palin in two minutes like I did for Farseer and Martuuk, then I can dump the rest and stop carrying it around, then start gathering more mats for Farseer. I want to get at least 50ly out of my Asp, if not a little more. She's sitting around 33-34ly now, with zero enhancements. My unofficial goal is for the game to be able to routinely plot a course with jumps of at least 50ly, and since it often selects distances slightly below your maximum jump range... well, I'll be re-rolling that one a lot until I get what I want.

Got my Courier with Enhanced Thrusters and Level 1 Clean Tuning (because the mats are cheap as hell for that one), it can boost over 600m/s now, and jump around 24-25ly. Can't wait to see what it can do later. I'll also be dumping some money into distributor enhancements to boost more often. Pretty sure it can maintain 700+ with the right upgrades.

my Asp Explorer, she can now jump 50.27 lys, that means with a level 3 jumponium boost I can jump well over 100 lys of range, especially if I jump with a mostly empty fuel tank!
Let's hope the jets do stack on top of this. That would be insane :D 200 LY jumprange :D

I'm debating with myself if I should grind empire ranks to get a cutter. I'm not quite sure if I could get it to ~ 30 LY jump range with a 50% roll. Oh and the grind to get all the modules :(

Perhaps I'll just wait to try it in beta for 2.2 (there was no rank lock, right?)

btw sometimes the game really is strange. I was out in RES with my FAS with hull reinforcements and all. Normally I can ram a (@ around expert) Python, even with my shields down and do some significant damage without getting hit that much myself - around 10% or so. Today I rammed a Cobra MK3 (competent!) with my shields up (and one pip to shields) and after the ram my shield was down and I lost over 20% hull. What the hell? The Cobra was @ 50% then though.

Volimar

Let's hope the jets do stack on top of this. That would be insane :D 200 LY jumprange :D

I'm debating with myself if I should grind empire ranks to get a cutter. I'm not quite sure if I could get it to ~ 30 LY jump range with a 50% roll. Oh and the grind to get all the modules :(

Perhaps I'll just wait to try it in beta for 2.2 (there was no rank lock, right?)

btw sometimes the game really is strange. I was out in RES with my FAS with hull reinforcements and all. Normally I can ram a (@ around expert) Python, even with my shields down and do some significant damage without getting hit that much myself - around 10% or so. Today I rammed a Cobra MK3 (competent!) with my shields up (and one pip to shields) and after the ram my shield was down and I lost over 20% hull. What the hell? The Cobra was @ 50% then though.

If you don't shout out "Today is a good day to die!" every time you're about to ram someone, you're flat out playing the game wrong.

If you don't shout out "Today is a good day to die!" every time you're about to ram someone, you're flat out playing the game wrong.
Ramming is kinda essential with the FAS :) It has nearly no shields so I switched to bi weave anyway. 260MJ but about 90 sec and it's back up. Only the Orca is better at ramming at the moment :D

Jedi2016

My FDL's decent at it, if only in terms of being able to soak the damage. It's a good way of finishing off those last few percent of the enemy's health, or just demonstrating that you have no fucks to give.

Hambone

Ramming is kinda essential with the FAS :) It has nearly no shields so I switched to bi weave anyway. 260MJ but about 90 sec and it's back up. Only the Orca is better at ramming at the moment :D

I love my FAS, and is my go-to combat ship (fitted with Military Grade composite bulkheads) if I ever need to turn my ship into a torpedo. Been also loving my Type 9 lately, and this video pretty much sums how I feel when flying it::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgfekhHTwvs&feature=youtu.be (not my video)

Volimar

Capital Ship docking is coming in the next update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKDgIOsRV4

5000 Sothis runs

It's so great to see developers who love their games talk about them.

I just got the base game for X1. Any general beginner tips? I enjoyed the Wing Commmander/X-Wing games back in the day.

There's some good pointers in the first couple posts of the thread. If you're up for it, I'd suggest checking out a youtube channel called ObsidianAnt who has loads of videos for new players.

LowerLevel

There's some good pointers in the first couple posts of the thread. If you're up for it, I'd suggest checking out a youtube channel called ObsidianAnt who has loads of videos for new players.

Seconded, expecially ObsidianAnt YouTube channel. Xbox player here too and I subscribed to his channel shortly after starting this game. That plus constantly looking for this topic helps a lot. Of course, lately this has been front page almost daily.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Been also loving my Type 9 lately, and this video pretty much sums how I feel when flying it::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgfekhHTwvs&feature=youtu.be (not my video)

I've been considering buying a T9 to do trading runs. I just use either my Clipper or my Python currently but the T9 can carry twice what either of them can. Ultimately I'd like to buy an Anaconda but even though I can't afford to buy and outfit one of them yet, I could afford a T9. I may just keep saving for that conda though...

Hambone

I've been considering buying a T9 to do trading runs. I just use either my Clipper or my Python currently but the T9 can carry twice what either of them can. Ultimately I'd like to buy an Anaconda but even though I can't afford to buy and outfit one of them yet, I could afford a T9. I may just keep saving for that conda though...

Definitely, go for the Anaconda first as it's hands down the best muti-role ships in the game. The Type 9 only does one thing well, and that's trading. I used my 'Conda as a trader at first until I banked enough to buy the Type 9 and fully outfit it (about 100 mil).

The Type 9 is slow, turns like molasses, and has a short jump range when fully laden (that's with the A rated FSD). As long as you know it's shortcoming going in, I feel like there is no other ship that will make you feel like a bonafide space trucker than the Type 9. Blow your discovery scanner as an air horn when entering the station mail slot, and when the station announcer says "Make way for larger vessels", you'll give a wry smile and say, "You're goddamn right.".

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lmfao damn you Grief.exe, I told myself "i'll just do enough sothis runs to afford my dream FdL and still have 50mil in the bank just in case".

Then I was like "welllll maybe i'll just do this until I have 75mil in the bank after the purchase"

And now I'm at "welllll maybe 100mil is better"

I'M GONNA KEEP MOVING GOAL POSTS FOREVER

seriously though thanks for showing me this, it's amazing money and super easy to do while watching netflix

Top Bottom