• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Widge

I've been playing pretty much blind, just dove in. I somehow turned something on the galactic map which made lots of pretty coloured lines move everywhere. I'm assuming this shows traffic, i.e. trade routes?

Also, is there a better way of seeing what trade items a system goes for without navigating into the system constantly? I picked up some items as a reward and from scouting about one day, would like to shift them somewhere decent-ish.

Probably could do with printing the PDF out for a leaf through. Remember old days it was pretty much haul technology to low tech, food and stuff to high tech. Bit more in depth now!

golem

I've been playing pretty much blind, just dove in. I somehow turned something on the galactic map which made lots of pretty coloured lines move everywhere. I'm assuming this shows traffic, i.e. trade routes?

Also, is there a better way of seeing what trade items a system goes for without navigating into the system constantly? I picked up some items as a reward and from scouting about one day, would like to shift them somewhere decent-ish.

Probably could do with printing the PDF out for a leaf through. Remember old days it was pretty much haul technology to low tech, food and stuff to high tech. Bit more in depth now!

https://eddb.io

Also a good guide to trading: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/4krpe0/masarks_guide_to_trade_sidewinder_to_anaconda/

Widge

Fantastic guide, thanks. Not sure how I feel about going out weaponless, but I'll pay attention to the routes.

I'm hoping to go vaguely old school elite, get the MK3, get some cargo but also be able to hold my own in combat.

Burny

I'm hoping to go vaguely old school elite, get the MK3, get some cargo but also be able to hold my own in combat.

I don't think there's much in terms of combat specialized ships against which a Cobra Mk3 can stand its own. The power creep if you will in terms of combat ships leaves the Cobra Mk3 severely outgunned, unless you specialize in combat, by which time the multi-purpose role of the ship is lost.

Just don't expect too much in terms of combat from the Cobra, if you want to have a multi purpose ship.

Burny

Apparently there was a huge 100 commander jump planned for yesterday. I wonder if that what was causing the server issues.

Mh, could it be? After all, 100 players jumping together should only affect the instancing for two systems, shouldn't it? Matching 100 players in the starting system and then doing the instancing of the commanders in the target system.

Maybe their backend can't handle it, but this sounds like it shouldn't bring the whole server/instancing construct to its knees, seing as instances don't rely on a permamently running server as in usual MMOs and should mostly be used for matching players into instances and transferring the target system's data to the players' game clients.

vector824

Fantastic guide, thanks. Not sure how I feel about going out weaponless, but I'll pay attention to the routes.

I ran a mkIII for a couple weeks until I had about $9mil and I jumped to the Asp Explorer. It could do almost anything I wanted it to. I wouldn't go running into a HazRes or CZ with it, but for the "wipe out x number of ships" missions it was fine. Make sure you jump into a system that's exploited by Li Yong-Rui, search for the modules you want here: https://eddb.io/station?s=4&i=1&p=9&r=1365 It gives you a 15% discount on ships and modules, which makes a BIG difference for sure.

kennah

Umm.. Is it possible to buy a 15% discounted ship, take it to somewhere that isn't exploited, and sell it at full price? Or does it remember what you paid.

vector824

Umm.. Is it possible to buy a 15% discounted ship, take it to somewhere that isn't exploited, and sell it at full price? Or does it remember what you paid.

Havent tested this yet... wouldn't that make you a seedy used car(spaceship?) salesman?

26gJzZgwf03hHuwFO.gif

Grief.exe

I did it, woke up early to turn in the past couple of missions from my latest Sothis run and picked up the Anaconda. The missions were going to expire prior to getting back from work.

I believe ships are sold at a 10% loss and I believe there is even further loss on modules sold with the ship, so your margins are gonna be razor thin.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I basically started going straight up from my location,.did about 40 jumps..thankfully a lot of the suns I could scoop from. The star density really drops too. Was hoping to tag at least one location, but nada. Guess I really need to head more towards the center?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The game remembers the price you paid for the ship, so it is not possible to “game the system” on ship sales even with the discounts. You always sell modules back for the price you paid for them (even discounted) and you always sell ships back for 15% less than you paid for them, even if you bought it discounted. Otherwise buying cheap Cutters and selling them for regular price would be the best way to make money in the game!

I basically started going straight up from my location,.did about 40 jumps..thankfully a lot of the suns I could scoop from. The star density really drops too. Was hoping to tag at least one location, but nada. Guess I really need to head more towards the center?

Did you just fly straight up from the bubble? If so then yeah it’s mostly tagged already, same with below. However, you only need to go out about 1000 lys in any direction from the bubble to start finding huge amounts of untagged systems to explore. There are a lot closer too but they are harder to stumble upon. At the extreme top and bottom of the bubble zone you only have to go out a couple hundred light years to start finding lots of untagged systems, BUT route plotting really becomes incredibly zig zaggy as the star density is so thin.

With my Asp I can get out to virgin territory in about half an hour if I travel fast. Lots and lots of untagged systems. I usually prefer to go farther out however… :)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

Yeah, and head back down before you head to the center. the lower star density near the ceiling means most of those stars are already pissed on. How many ly do you get a jump?

Grief.exe

Elite: Dangerous is dropping support for 32-Bit Windows and DirectX 10

Braben goes on to explain that around 0.5% of players use Win32, while around 2% use DirectX 10 - some of the former can update their OS, but the latter will be required to buy a new graphics card to continue playing.

"We do appreciate that although those are small percentages, that is still a significant number of people affected," Braben says. "We want to give as much notice as we can. It will be at least six months before we would make the change, but we want to know your opinions first, and to give warning that the change will need to come at some point, so please let us know."

http://www.pcgamesn.com/elite-dangerous/elite-dangerous-win32-directx10-support

Don't know if this is old information.

Is there a system you have to tell the difference between some of these rocky worlds and water or earth likes? Some of these look very similar.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is there a system you have to tell the difference between some of these rocky worlds and water or earth likes? Some of these look very similar.

I personally "listen" to the planets in the system map. Each planet type makes a distinct sound when you zoom in that you can tell what kind they are from a distance before scanning. Earth likes have water sounds and birds chirping, water worlds have bubble sounds, ammonia worlds go eerily silent, etc. Often times though you can spot Earth likes, water worlds, and ammonia worlds just by how they look graphically too, but I've found a few very odd looking planets of each type only because I was listening to them in the map. For example, I one time found a large ammonia world that was very white, it really looked like a huge ice planet at first, but the sound of it perplexed me so I investigated it. There are surprises out there to be found.

Well that was annoying. I was doing my CG runs and I got interdicted, it was just some annoying AI so whatever, killed him and kept going. Few seconds later it happens again, I’m like wtf? It rarely happens that often. This time it was two commanders in Clippers and they just started to attack me. My ASP is ok for combat, but I can’t take on two Clippers. So yeah I died. I don’t really care that much, ASP insurance isn’t that much. It’s just a waste of time though, each of my runs around about 15 mins. So bleh.

Grief.exe

I personally "listen" to the planets in the system map. Each planet type makes a distinct sound when you zoom in that you can tell what kind they are from a distance before scanning. Earth likes have water sounds and birds chirping, water worlds have bubble sounds, ammonia worlds go eerily silent, etc. Often times though you can spot Earth likes, water worlds, and ammonia worlds just by how they look graphically too, but I've found a few very odd looking planets of each type only because I was listening to them in the map. For example, I one time found a large ammonia world that was very white, it really looked like a huge ice planet at first, but the sound of it perplexed me so I investigated it. There are surprises out there to be found.

After you identify the worlds, do you then go and scan the water, earthlike, and amonia worlds with the detailed surface scanner as well?

Is there any advantage to taking multiple SRV's on these long discovery trips?

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Well that was annoying. I was doing my CG runs and I got interdicted, it was just some annoying AI so whatever, killed him and kept going. Few seconds later it happens again, I’m like wtf? It rarely happens that often. This time it was two commanders in Clippers and they just started to attack me. My ASP is ok for combat, but I can’t take on two Clippers. So yeah I died. I don’t really care that much, ASP insurance isn’t that much. It’s just a waste of time though, each of my runs around about 15 mins. So bleh.

I got blasted to bits in a full Anaconda by an OP-as-hell NPC. Shit happens.

Well, managed to make my way down to Sothis/Ceos in my trade python and going to start grinding out shitty paying Data delivery messages to get my rep up with the local factions.

Then I guess it's time to do some Sothis runs. Python probably isn't the best ship to do this in though...

Who's doing the beta tomorrow? I was going to buy access for the first time but ended up getting bogged down in a work project in the evenings all this week.

Volimar

They seem to put a lot of effort into the Powerplay factions with the Galnet reports and all for something that most people don't seem interested in.

Effect

Finally got my Python. Flies a bit more sluggish then I expected but that could be the thrusters on the thing. I had trouble finding 6D to 6A versions for a while there. I've upgraded what I can so far with D and C parts but A for the FSD. Haven't taken her into combat yet. I do have three large gimbaled pulse lasers on her along with two medium rail guns. I want to see how that goes. So going to try it out this evening. I have enough cargo space to make the Sothis run more profitable as well. However now sure how much longer that trip is going to be in the Python then the Asp Explorer. With the Asp I got it so I could jump 30ly at a time on the way out and the way back I was around 25ly and I think downgrade modules on the Python might be a bad idea as that's what i did on the Asp to get those numbers up. However I do have I think 4A or a 5A fuel scoop on the Python now so maybe it won't be so bad. Don't remember which one it was. That and the FSD I remember spending a lot on when I was outfitting it because I felt I needed those maxed right away when I saw the jump distance I was going to have.

I'm looking for a secondary shop now. Tried out the Viper Mk IV but felt so week. Might just go back to having a Cobra in reserve for the small ship just for ground mission and just to have one and then build up money to get back the Asp if I ever want to go exploring and outfit it just for that. I don't see myself selling the Python though. Worked to hard to get that. Rather get the money for something else if I get tired of it.

I think this is what the setup is like right now. https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0...504043224v62f.Iw19gDBQ.AwiMIyu5SA==?bn=Python

Who's doing the beta tomorrow? I was going to buy access for the first time but ended up getting bogged down in a work project in the evenings all this week.
I will take a look for sure. But if it's too much of a hassle to see anything new I'll go back to the base game though.

I hope Kornelius is back when beta hits. He did no video for a few weeks now.

Finally got my Python. Flies a bit more sluggish then I expected but that could be the thrusters on the thing. I had trouble finding 4D to 4A versions for a while there. I've upgraded what I can do far with D and C parts but A for the FSD. Haven't taken her into combat yet. I do have three large gimbaled pulse lasers on her along with two medium rail guns. I want to see how that goes. So going to try it out this evening. I have enough cargo space to make the Sothis run more profitable as well. However now sure how much longer that trip is going to be in the Python then the Asp Explorer. With the Asp I got it so I could jump 30ly at a time on the way out and the way back I was around 25ly and I think downgrade modules on the Python might be a bad idea as that's what i did on the Asp to get those numbers up. However I do have I think 4A fuel scoop on the Python now so maybe it won't be so bad.
Consider using Engineers with some light weight module modifications!

Rutti

I decided to check out some systems featured in Revelation Space novels. Even though the details about certain planets didn't match, it was still cool to see the systems here.

golem

However I do have I think 4A or a 5A fuel scoop on the Python now so maybe it won't be so bad. Don't remember which one it was. That and the FSD I remember spending a lot on when I was outfitting it because I felt I needed those maxed right away when I saw the jump distance I was going to have.
Big fuel scoops are amazing. I think my Python typically fills up in around 30-40 sec

Well, managed to make my way down to Sothis/Ceos in my trade python and going to start grinding out shitty paying Data delivery messages to get my rep up with the local factions.

Then I guess it's time to do some Sothis runs. Python probably isn't the best ship to do this in though...
Honestly there were quite a few good paying hauls that I got before i grinded out the rep. Keep switching sessions and see what you get

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well I decided to screw around and grab an engineer mod for my FSD on my asp, jut a crummy one that I could afford.

Took my range from 34 to 38.5ly.

Not shabby.

Engineer rank grind, as least for Blaster, doesn't seem so bad. Scouted/mined about 5 rocks on a planet and got enough materials to level him up to Rank 3. Now just need to find the right commodities at a nearby market.

He's the only Engineer I've used so far, though, so maybe the others have worse grinds.

Well I decided to screw around and grab an engineer mod for my FSD on my asp, jut a crummy one that I could afford.

Took my range from 34 to 38.5ly.

Not shabby.

That's a solid upgrade and can make a big difference in the total number of jumps needed to get somewhere. I get frustrated in my Vulture, seeing how close a location is but I have to take some roundabout way because of its poor jump range.

The Cowboy

The Sothis run money is tasty, in my combat spec'd Python (can't really sell anything off it as most items have a good mod - we really need item storage in stations!!!) with only 64t of cargo space, i have enough missions so far to net 30+million with 6t to spare - gonna drop my non modded L5 hull (only big thing not modded) for 32t more space to try and get to 40/50million before i head back.

What was nice earlier though was, i made 10+million in only 5minutes - 3 missions showed up each paying +3.5million to deliver to the system only 8ly away :D.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Engineer rank grind, as least for Blaster, doesn't seem so bad. Scouted/mined about 5 rocks on a planet and got enough materials to level him up to Rank 3. Now just need to find the right commodities at a nearby market.

He's the only Engineer I've used so far, though, so maybe the others have worse grinds.

I've only bothered to do two of the engineers, the blaster and elvira for the FSD / thruster mods. I've only got level 3 blueprints unlocked and Elvira was definitely really easy to rank up, I did her during my sothis runs since Khon is on the way back to Sothis from the bubble, so I always make a pit stop to sell exploration data from the run. The blaster wasn't so bad because bounty hunting is my favorite activity so it went by quick, I think it took like ~6 hours over 3 days but I never finished up that grind because I decided to do other stuff.

That's a solid upgrade and can make a big difference in the total number of jumps needed to get somewhere. I get frustrated in my Vulture, seeing how close a location is but I have to take some roundabout way because of its poor jump range.

Yeah part of the reason I could never really get into the vulture was because of how fat the ship is for its fuel tank and FSD, the poor thing can only manage like 3 jumps. An improved jump range of 4 ly is gonna make a huge difference over the course of a long route. It's gonna basically shave off one whole jump for every 5ish jumps I make.

joecanada

Python is ok for Sothis I've done 3-4 runs. It's average at everything which is okay ... 240 tonnes cargo space and about 27 ly jump range empty is what I'm running... That's easy 30 million from a run . Running without weapons kills me though I hate retreating

Big fuel scoops are amazing. I think my Python typically fills up in around 30-40 sec
that sounds nice!
ask me about it... Flew back to LHS 20 with my FAS now. Damn it was a chore. Overheating and waiting forever in front of stars... Thank god it has 16LY still though. The Vulture was even worse IIRC.

The first few are not the ones with grind. I wanted to get the colonel lady next but I guess I skip this. She wants TEN MILLION in combat bonds (in SOL)

Two are asking for invite by their respective home faction, so I need to ramp up rep here first. And one wants 50 units of some cigars or something like that where I guess those are rare goods.

I ranked up Elvira and Dweller by crafting the lvl one upgrade again and again. Not because I needed them but to waste materials. Had 50 of those each and needed some spare material slots :D so why abandon them.

I guess the next one I'll try to unlock is Selena. She wants some mining ore. That's no problem at all.

Grief.exe

Finally got my Python. Flies a bit more sluggish then I expected but that could be the thrusters on the thing. I had trouble finding 6D to 6A versions for a while there. I've upgraded what I can so far with D and C parts but A for the FSD. Haven't taken her into combat yet. I do have three large gimbaled pulse lasers on her along with two medium rail guns. I want to see how that goes. So going to try it out this evening. I have enough cargo space to make the Sothis run more profitable as well. However now sure how much longer that trip is going to be in the Python then the Asp Explorer. With the Asp I got it so I could jump 30ly at a time on the way out and the way back I was around 25ly and I think downgrade modules on the Python might be a bad idea as that's what i did on the Asp to get those numbers up. However I do have I think 4A or a 5A fuel scoop on the Python now so maybe it won't be so bad. Don't remember which one it was. That and the FSD I remember spending a lot on when I was outfitting it because I felt I needed those maxed right away when I saw the jump distance I was going to have.

I'm looking for a secondary shop now. Tried out the Viper Mk IV but felt so week. Might just go back to having a Cobra in reserve for the small ship just for ground mission and just to have one and then build up money to get back the Asp if I ever want to go exploring and outfit it just for that. I don't see myself selling the Python though. Worked to hard to get that. Rather get the money for something else if I get tired of it.

I think this is what the setup is like right now. https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0...504043224v62f.Iw19gDBQ.AwiMIyu5SA==?bn=Python

You're going to have to retool it for Sothis runs.

Take out all the weapons and pull down your thrusters/power plant/sensors to D level to reduce weight. You can get ~18ly laden jump range out of that build. I did a couple runs yesterday at ~50 million a pop and upgraded straight to the Anaconda.

joecanada

Not me. I'm a trucker, not a fighter. If I could, I'd paint my ship bright yellow with a giant upraised middle finger on the back.

well for that build don't you think you should at least have mine launchers? something to go along with the middle finger lol.

yeah as previously noted if you are doing Sothis embrace the trucker lifestyle , ditch all weapons, get rid of 6a shield 5 is more than enough to survive interdiction, 4a fuel scoop is good.... max out cargo and jump distance with D rated crap lol (except fsd of course).....
ask yourself do you want to do 25 jumps or 40?

Nivane

Is it worth it to start doing sothis runs in my asp explorer?

Yep. That's what I started doing the runs in. Strip the hard points/utility points. I think I set it with cargo racks in everything, but kept shields, docking computer and fuel scoop. You should be between a 15 and 20 ly jump range fully laden. It takes a few runs, but then you'll be able to upgrade.

Top Bottom