• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

FireyToad just went to a system with a neutron and white dwarf next to each other. Not sure about the visual effect. Hopefully it's a bug.

2fa95fbd11.jpg

From the patch notes:

- Jet effects added to neutron and white dwarf stars

Looks like it's the new effect.

DrBo42

Looks neat to me, but I guess I'd need to see them in motion. Do they spin with the star? Because it'd be interesting if a whirling jet provided a danger to navigation.

No. They're pretty much static to the sides other than the animation of it within the jet.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So all those concerned that it would be too easy to ship transfer to Jaques Station, no worries it costs almost 8 billion and it will take a month. I guess based on that, transfer times are much longer than a player making the trip themselves.

Sigh, so yeah if it’s that much for an Eagle, imagine what something like a Courier or Python will cost. Welp, unless they lower that the mechanic has become completely worthless to me.

And now with NS/WD boosts being relegated to a pointless risky timewaster, suddenly I don’t think there is anything in 2.2 that I’m looking forward to anymore. Holy shit, talk about disappointed.

Hopefully since it’s still beta they change some of this, but I ain’t hopeful. Sometimes, the design choices of FDev truly mystify me, it’s like they hate making good game design choices and absolutely love to implement meaningless features…

Grief.exe

So all those concerned that it would be too easy to ship transfer to Jaques Station, no worries it costs almost 8 billion and it will take a month. I guess based on that, transfer times are much longer than a player making the trip themselves.

From here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/53my06/ship_transfer_to_jaques_think_again/

dei29p907omx.jpg

It's likely balanced for the bubble, and when you take it to the farthest distance possible it breaks that balance.

SmartBase

They are afraid adding that would have potential exploitable issues with the commodity market, but what they should do, which would be non-exploitable is allow banking commodities with engineers with no ability to withdraw. Problem solved.

I'd gladly offer my services as an economist to Frontier but it's obvious they need proper game designers first, sheesh.

DrBo42

Sigh, so yeah if it’s that much for an Eagle, imagine what something like a Courier or Python will cost. Welp, unless they lower that the mechanic has become completely worthless to me.

And now with NS/WD boosts being relegated to a pointless risky timewaster, suddenly I don’t think there is anything in 2.2 that I’m looking forward to anymore. Holy shit, talk about disappointed.

Hopefully since it’s still beta they change some of this, but I ain’t hopeful. Sometimes, the design choices of FDev truly mystify me, it’s like they hate making good game design choices and absolutely love to implement meaningless features…

That's to transfer the Cutter. Still shit though. The WD/NS boost is nearly pointless.

The Cowboy

Really hoping that module storage comes ASAP, these data mission runs would be so much better if I could store my modded items so I can buy/fit trading related modules.

From here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/53my06/ship_transfer_to_jaques_think_again/

61 hours =/= a month, but pretty obvious it's bugged. 61 hours and over 4000 minutes? Yeah, that's a bug. Why would the 4000 minutes not contribute to the total hour count?

Again, fighters are conceptually super cool but I cannot imagine using them outside of the novelty given the time it takes to deploy and recall them and their limited effectiveness. I'd rather use them as an alternative to the SRV for planetary exploration but unless you can send your ship into orbit while in the fighter that's not necessarily practical.

Again, fighters are conceptually super cool but I cannot imagine using them outside of the novelty given the time it takes to deploy and recall them and their limited effectiveness. I'd rather use them as an alternative to the SRV for planetary exploration but unless you can send your ship into orbit while in the fighter that's not necessarily practical.

Fighters should definitely be able to be deployed like this but unfortunately Frontier nixed that when asked about it. Some bullshit "lore" excuse about how the fighters are tethered to the ship so they can't travel farther than X distance away.

Grief.exe

After 27 jumps in my asp explorer im finally at ceos. Holy crap people arent kidding about how many data missions there are especially if logging in and out. After 1 run back and forth i already got offered a 3.5 million credit missions to "snake" some illegal goods between sothis and ceos. Luckily i didnt get scanned. Quickest 3m i have ever made!

That's a lot of jumps for an Asp Explorer to get to Ceos. What build are you using?

It's possible you are just jumping from a further region of the bubble, but just want to double check.

Fighters should definitely be able to be deployed like this but unfortunately Frontier nixed that when asked about it. Some bullshit "lore" excuse about how the fighters are tethered to the ship so they can't travel farther than X distance away.

That is bullshit. I know "lore"-wise the ships are flown remotely but there is no reason the pilot couldn't be physically transferred when flying the fighter for planetary exploration exactly like the SRV. As is, I just can't see the fighters as more than a novelty in the long run.

I hate that I've become so negative with the game lately but between "immersion" and "lore" excuses for limiting gameplay features and decisions like the initial engineers insane grind, where I was once optimistic, I'm now discouraged.

Grief.exe

That is bullshit. I know "lore"-wise the ships are flown remotely but there is no reason the pilot couldn't be physically transferred flying the fighter for planetary exploration exactly like the SRV. As is, I just can't see the fighters as more than a novelty in the long run.

I hate that I've become so negative with the game lately but between "immersion" and "lore" excuses for limiting gameplay features and decisions like the initial engineers insane grind, where I was once optimistic, I'm now discouraged.

It's likely some arbitrary reason they chose to cover up a technical shortfall.

It's likely some arbitrary reason they chose to cover up a technical shortfall.

More than likely, yeah. It's just funny how they act like they intentionally designed the system to be this way. The guy kinda looked like he was caught off guard when asked the question and abruptly ended the question with "long story short, there's a tether so you can't."

Reddit dump o 2.2 stuff:

White dwarf star
Video here.

Passenger missions. This one, in particular, is to Sag A(!!!). But reading the comments, they note you can likely stack missions, so if you got a bunch of people who want to go to Sag A, it could be lucrative (plus exploration data).

New hyperspace animation (they note that the color shift is likely a bug?)

Weapon color livery option spotted

I don't know, I think the neutron star animation looks pretty fantastic.

New planetary textures.

Sounds of the new Taipei fighter. Love it.

61 hours =/= a month, but pretty obvious it's bugged. 61 hours and over 4000 minutes? Yeah, that's a bug. Why would the 4000 minutes not contribute to the total hour count?

There is a bug at least in the way time is displayed, converting the hours and minutes to hours would be 770 hours or 32 days. Now the bug could be more than just the time display and could involve the calculations, possibly a weird rounding error or a max time limiter that is broken and causing the cost and time to go haywire.

vector824

Oh man oh man oh man. I am excited for this update.

No one has mentioned that you can sell ships remotely! I have like 3 sideys I need to get rid of but don't want to fly to the stations I left them at...

Reddit dump o 2.2 stuff:

White dwarf star

Video here.

Passenger missions. This one, in particular, is to Sag A(!!!). But reading the comments, they note you can likely stack missions, so if you got a bunch of people who want to go to Sag A, it could be lucrative (plus exploration data).

New hyperspace animation (they note that the color shift is likely a bug?)

Weapon color livery option spotted

I don't know, I think the neutron star animation looks pretty fantastic.

New planetary textures.

Sounds of the new Taipei fighter. Love it.

That's some good stuff.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is faster loading menu's with portraits. The photos load asynchronously so the menu loads much faster and the portrait load after.

The biggest problem with fighters is that I can't think of a reason to use them over a shield cell bank.

Yes, I agree and that's why I would love to see non-combat reasons to have them. Currently they are made of paper and only add a bit of firepower, which makes sense. However, for serious engagements, they don't seem super useful. That being said they are super fun to fly, so I want a reason to fly them, especially near planet surfaces.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yes, I agree and that's why I would love to see non-combat reasons to have them. Currently they are made of paper and only add a bit of firepower, which makes sense. However, for serious engagements, they don't seem super useful. That being said they are super fun to fly, so I want a reason to fly them, especially near planet surfaces.

Yep, the only way they can make sense for serious combat encounters is if you could launch up to 4 fighters at a time. Having a fighter swarm would be enough fire power / a distraction for enemies attacking you that it would actually start to maybe become beneficial.

As is, if you are flying a big anaconda that's fit for combat a shield cell bank adds more net defensive value and by that virtue keeps you in an engagement long enough to make use of your offensive power better. If you're flying a hauler, then you're honestly better off just using mines lmao.

StonedRider

They are afraid adding that would have potential exploitable issues with the commodity market, but what they should do, which would be non-exploitable is allow banking commodities with engineers with no ability to withdraw. Problem solved.

Wait, but Frontier promised to implement crafting commodities storage in engineers bases in 2.2 update, didn't they?

So yeah, I'm so upset by this NS / WD boost thing that I made a poll on the official forums about it:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...utron-White-Dwarf-boost-range-bonus-25-or-300

Please go and read my reasons for a larger boost value, and vote! Maybe if FDev will listen we can get them to change their minds.

Good point, absolutely agree! Voted for 300%.

DrBo42

Part of me is thoroughly enjoying all the delay transfer voters complaining the wait times are too long but ultimately we all have to deal with the fallout of their shitty vote. Mike Evans made a comment about how it's actually way more time efficient to move your fleet with it which is true but ultimately too specific to use as a metric to balance. Whole thing is a mess.

SmartBase

So um, why don't pinned blueprints stay pinned? I had a few multicannons engineered with a different blueprint and now the pinned one is nowhere to be seen. Ridiculous.

Now that I think about it, why can't I just see ALL of the engineer blueprints available to me? Checking materials and data is such a damn chore.

DrBo42

They must have pushed some server side update because the ones I visited never animated like that.

Your route is saved after exiting now, that's a great new 'feature' in my opinion.
Quality of life changes are the best part about Elite updates. The headline features always tend to be half baked but the little tweaks and additions really sing. It's a fucked up reality.

I left my feedback on the forum on the transit times. As a filthy casual, I can see that my feedback is being appropriately disregarded. The vote result is impenetrable. My only feedback can be to lower the transfer time to as close to zero as the community will allow. For such a hardcore group, it's interesting that the community consensus was to reduce AI difficulty after the last patch but when it comes to sinking time into doing nothing. the sky's the limit.

JambiBum

I absolutely love the fact that delay voters are complaining now. It's fucking perfect.

I think that they started with only being able to deploy one fighter as a balancing thing to see how things would go. I'm hoping that they see that one fighter doesn't make that big of a difference and thus allow the ships that can hold two bays deploy two fighters. I don't think you need 4 fighters to make a difference, but having 2 + your ship would probably be good enough. I know that bays can carry more than 1 fighter at a time, but if you just go with number of bays = number of fighters that are launchable I think it'd work out fine.

DrBo42

I absolutely love the fact that delay voters are complaining now. It's fucking perfect.

I think that they started with only being able to deploy one fighter as a balancing thing to see how things would go. I'm hoping that they see that one fighter doesn't make that big of a difference and thus allow the ships that can hold two bays deploy two fighters. I don't think you need 4 fighters to make a difference, but having 2 + your ship would probably be good enough.

I'm positive it's more of a performance or technical problem. Having even 4 people in the same instance all deploying 2 fighters each along with your standard AI has to be taxing. Especially if it's something like a conflict zone.

Top Bottom