• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Grief.exe

My God the FAS is so much fun. A little engineer upgrades and it is a complete beast in combat. Once I got the slides under control there isn't much I can't take in this thing. Love it.

Hype. Can't wait to get one.

I heard they're supposed to be nerfing Sothis runs in the patch? I might wait to see what the next big money-maker is after that. I've been playing since Beta and still can't buy an Anaconda. The life of an explorer, I suppose.

Yep, I am right there with you, I've never owned an Anaconda yet either. Although technically I could buy one now, I just couldn't afford to fully outfit it the way I want to. An explorer's life is a tough one...

But yes, Sothis / Ceos gets nerfed some in 2.2. I should probably make some runs while we wait for 2.2 to earn some credits for both an explorer Anaconda and to buy and outfit an Orca for passenger stuff.

About to make one more run before the nerf in my Anaconda to get some good rainy day money.

Jedi2016

Unfortunately I don't really have a ship for that. I have a cargo ship, a combat ship, and a long-distance ship. There's not really any crossover among them. The only reason my Asp has any cargo space at all is because I stripped out a couple modules that I only need for exploring and not in the bubble so I could collect materials for Engineers. My FDL has even less cargo space than the Asp, and my Type-7 has no fuel scoop, no shields, and a shitty jump range, so it's pretty worthless for long-distance hauling.

Volimar

Eh, it's still worth it in the aspX. Just gotta be selective in your stacking. If it stays the same as the Beta, ferrying passengers seems to be the next real cash opportunity according to ObsidianAnt.

Grief.exe

Unfortunately I don't really have a ship for that. I have a cargo ship, a combat ship, and a long-distance ship. There's not really any crossover among them. The only reason my Asp has any cargo space at all is because I stripped out a couple modules that I only need for exploring and not in the bubble so I could collect materials for Engineers. My FDL has even less cargo space than the Asp, and my Type-7 has no fuel scoop, no shields, and a shitty jump range, so it's pretty worthless for long-distance hauling.

Eh, it's still worth it in the aspX. Just gotta be selective in your stacking. If it stays the same as the Beta, ferrying passengers seems to be the next real cash opportunity according to ObsidianAnt.

That's what I was using. Was getting 18-20 million on cargo hauling alone, then upgraded to a Python for 2 runs, then Anaconda.

Lagamorph

So I haven't played this in ages and I was thinking of getting back into it. I logged on earlier and what I've got at the moment is,

An Asp Explorer
20 Million Credits in the bank

My weapon loadout was 2 Lasers and 4 Multi-Cannons (Can't remember the size layouts) and my Jump Range was between 13-14 Light Years.

I only have the base game, I never bought the expansion. Now I know initially it just added the whole planetary landing thing, but now there's something called The Engineers? What does that add in? I've seen a few mentions in this thread, and of it seeming to allow you to get/make better parts? Is it worth getting?

Going forward I'd definitely like a better ship, I got interdicted and my Asp just couldn't manoeuvre enough to get the enemy in my sights. I'd like something mainly for Exploration and Combat, I've got little to no interest in mining for materials to sell and cargo hauling really. If things are still like the last time I played though then getting a good ship and kitting it out properly is going to run me into 100+ million Credits?
What's the best way to get credits? Is it still quite as grindy as it used to be? Do you still have to suck it up and haul cargo for ages to build up enough credits?

kennah

Lol, just got rammed a few times outside Sothis in Open Play. One guy was stuck perpendicular in the mail slot. Think Austin Powers stuck.

Going forward I'd definitely like a better ship, I got interdicted and my Asp just couldn't manoeuvre enough to get the enemy in my sights. I'd like something mainly for Exploration and Combat, I've got little to no interest in mining for materials to sell and cargo hauling really. If things are still like the last time I played though then getting a good ship and kitting it out properly is going to run me into 100+ million Credits?

Keep your asp explorer, strip it bare to max out the jump distance and keep that for exploration, and get a vulture in addition to it-- kitting that out with good weapons isn't super expensive. Won't be able to do it on 20mill though I guess, but it won't be completely terrible. In the upcoming update you'll be able to get the vulture delivered to stations wherever you are with the asp explorer, so you'll be free to explore and then get the vulture there without having to constantly backtrack to get into combat. You still have to be near stations to get it delivered of course, but it won't be as awful to use several ships at the same time as it is right now.

Bad advice?

Flambe

Welp, always wanted this got it on the sale now that pc has been upgraded a bit.

About to dive into the OP and reddit probably but any up-to-date tips for a COMPLETE newcomer to the game? =]

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Welp, always wanted this got it on the sale now that pc has been upgraded a bit.

About to dive into the OP and reddit probably but any up-to-date tips for a COMPLETE newcomer to the game? =]
I just started a week or two ago. My main advice is to learn how to land - and realize there are three different speed settings to use when traveling.

joecanada

Pray.

Nah there's lots of things you can do to get started with easy missions. Data delivery is easy. Pick a home base somewhere for now with the following.... Nav beacon, not compromised, station with good gear, and planets with rings . All stuff close to sun as possible. Then do missions and each time you jump back home drop at nav beacon and assist the police killing wanted ships. Then when you get a bit better go to resource extraction sites and kill more wanted for more money ... That will get you your first few ships and more.

Pray.

Nah there's lots of things you can do to get started with easy missions. Data delivery is easy. Pick a home base somewhere for now with the following.... Nav beacon, not compromised, station with good gear, and planets with rings . All stuff close to sun as possible. Then do missions and each time you jump back home drop at nav beacon and assist the police killing wanted ships. Then when you get a bit better go to resource extraction sites and kill more wanted for more money ... That will get you your first few ships and more.

Also, keep an eye out for any easy Community Goals! Check through the week. Some simply require you to turn in bounties or haul a small about of stuff and you can occasionally make millions very easily.

damn, I got screwed on that mu koji cg. brought an anaconda full of stuff at the last minute. and somehow it didn't register that I turned it in. even though I triple confirmed the cg wasn't over yet. somehow I'd already clicked it out of my transactions, but it still said I was signed up, and it definitely hadn't finished. what da fuck, sour grapes over barely any credits here. hehe. contributed a couple of anacondas worth of stuff to colonia connection now to make up for it, still bitter though.

learn how to get out of supercruise is probably the first thing to do. hehe. get a cobra mk3 as soon as possible maybe.

Volimar

WOOHOO! Sothis runs paying off in more ways than one. Just hit elite in trading. Now where's that fancy founders world?

Wound up on a great looking system in Lawd 26, highly recommended sightseeing inside the bubble. Has a huge white dwarf star that gives off this purple glow effecting the whole system. Even down the rings of the planets:

25A6E1AF8031F55F8CA46405A63B3A8BD5C6CB18

679D78EBE2D584C8ADC50B99E82A350B2D79A025

BAFD050E78E9DF9E3E3A0283F27045034A307C1C

91CEBB9228B85B89543F8CDC520E37D0EDAD9A5A

joecanada

Wound up on a great looking system in Lawd 26, highly recommended sightseeing inside the bubble. Has a huge white dwarf star that gives off this purple glow effecting the whole system. Even down the rings of the planets:

Nice . How do you get the pics with views of your ship ? Actually i realized I've never moved the fov I should figure that out

Effect

Yeah unfortunately the hotas is going back. Hadn't expected the addition of the throttle to take up as much as space as it did but that wasn't that big of a deal. I was actually surprised by big it was though. While it did feel nice to actually use I really didn't notice any improvement in playing the game. I actually felt disadvantage compared to how I've been playing all this time. It's not an issue of getting used to the throttle but I just actually had less options and then there was the lack of ease of accessing those options with the throttle compared to using the keyboard with my left hand. I wanted to give it all weekend before fully making up mine and with a decent number of hours with the hotas I don't really need it or want it.

Immersion was another issue. Maybe it's because I'm piloting a space ship the idea of having to press buttons immerses me more. I guess it's the old Star Trek vs Star Wars debate. I've always liked how the ships in Star Trek from the shuttles to the large space ships were piloted over how the things in Star Wars like the X-wings and Falcon were piloted. I've never been interested in flight sims in general for example. The SPACE part of Elite is what grabs me and to me as far as my play style goes "space" is me issuing commands via the keyboard/computer as part of the interaction with the gameplay.

What I think I will be doing though is buying another joystick by itself as I do think my current one is on its way out. I just have to make sure the hat is in the middle. It being in the position on the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas is annoying after having it in the middle for so long. Especially since I have to use it so much to change the power settings. It needs to be easy to reach.

Volimar

Welp, Jameson is locked down too. No outfitting. Bummer. At least there's a system nearby to outfit my Asp for planetary roving.

Flambe

Fun first day! Docking was indeed kinda funny without having Thrust Up/Down keybound and non-deadzone Dual Shock 4 giving a constant, minor roll in either direction o_O Got that figured out though so can usually touch down on the first pass =p

Some bounties completed, few hundred K for some upgrades. Still bouncing from system to system looking for a decent home though, they've appeared fairly junky so far.

Also is the planet stuff of any interest at the early-stage of the game? Had to land on some dustball to collect bounties in my current system =p

Lagamorph

Keep your asp explorer, strip it bare to max out the jump distance and keep that for exploration, and get a vulture in addition to it-- kitting that out with good weapons isn't super expensive. Won't be able to do it on 20mill though I guess, but it won't be completely terrible. In the upcoming update you'll be able to get the vulture delivered to stations wherever you are with the asp explorer, so you'll be free to explore and then get the vulture there without having to constantly backtrack to get into combat. You still have to be near stations to get it delivered of course, but it won't be as awful to use several ships at the same time as it is right now.

Bad advice?

So I stripped the weapons from my Asp but my jump range has only gone up to 14.72 Light Years which seems utterly terrible when I've seen some people mention they've got ranges of nearly 30 Light Years on some ships. I have nothing on my Hardpoints or Utility Mounts at all.

I've got,
5B Power Plant
1C Lightweight Alloy
5A Thrusters
4A FSD
4D Life Support
4A Power Coupling
5D Sensors
5C Fuel Tank
5E Cargo Rank
4A Shield Generator
3E Cargo Rack x2
1C Detailed Scanner
2A Fuel Scoop
1C Advanced Discover Scanner
1 Planetary Approach Suite

You pretty much just stack long range delivery missions. I just did my first run, took around 40 minutes and I made 10 million. But my rep is still low, I need to get my rep higher for better missions.
Ahh right, thanks.

Lagamorph

Ok, found a high tech system and swapped to the following,

1C Lightweight Alloy
5A Power Plant
4D Thrusters
5B Frame Shift Drive
4D Life Support
1A Power Distributer
5D Sensors
5C Fuel Tank
5E Cargo Rack
4A Shield Generator
3A Fuel Scoop
3E Cargo Rack
1C Detailed Surface Scanner
1C Advanced Discovery Scanner

My jump range has now increased to 26.51 Light Years which seems a lot better.
Is there anything else I can do to boost it? I'm very reluctant to get rid of my Shields just incase I ever get attacked, I'll need them while I run for it.

Volimar

Ok, found a high tech system and swapped to the following,

1C Lightweight Alloy
5A Power Plant
4D Thrusters
5B Frame Shift Drive
4D Life Support
1A Power Distributer
5D Sensors
5C Fuel Tank
5E Cargo Rack
4A Shield Generator
3A Fuel Scoop
3E Cargo Rack
1C Detailed Surface Scanner
1C Advanced Discovery Scanner

My jump range has now increased to 26.51 Light Years which seems a lot better.
Is there anything else I can do to boost it? I'm very reluctant to get rid of my Shields just incase I ever get attacked, I'll need them while I run for it.

You can keep your shields but drop them to D rating if that increases your jump range (I think it does). I'd also ditch the surface scanner and add another cargo rack. You might want to add a chaff launcher to hedge your bets, but most of the time when you get interdicted you just put full power to engines and keep boosting until you can frameshift.

StonedRider

What is your Anaconda build?

I'm not Grief, but for Sothis Anaconda runs I would recommend something like this: https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda...53704044503032f.Iw18ZlA=.CwBj4yCYoRnhFQluIA==

With upgraded FSD ship has 50 ly jump range unladen and 28-29 ly laden.

I have engine focused power distributor upgrade 3 and with 4 pips to engines can boost almost non-stop.
By Dreams advise, I've put dirty tuning upgrade 3 to thrusters and have boost speed up to 300 laden.

There is power left for wake scanner to collect data for engineers and some more chaff, heat sinks or other utility mounts if you want.

Actually, shield boosters are not needed, I did not want to sell them because they are upgraded.

Lagamorph

You can keep your shields but drop them to D rating if that increases your jump range (I think it does). I'd also ditch the surface scanner and add another cargo rack. You might want to add a chaff launcher to hedge your bets, but most of the time when you get interdicted you just put full power to engines and keep boosting until you can frameshift.
Oddly I can no longer boost, even with 4 pips to Engines I just get a message that there's insufficient energy in the capacitor.

Upgraded my Thrusters and FSD to A and my Jump Range is now about 31 Light Years.

Wouldn't I need the surface scanner for exploration too?

OK, so I haven't played in ages (after Powerplay but before Horizon).

Can anyone give me a very basic description of the combat 'meta'.

When I played, gimballed guns were king (except in PvP where chaff was everywhere), missiles were useless, pulse lasers were better than burst/beam in almost every conceivable situation, shield cell banks were essentially mandatory and armour upgrades (material or bulkhead modules) were relatively pointless.

Perhaps more importantly, is there any new mechanic that's going to get me killed if I don't know it? Has the NPC combat AI had any major changes?

StonedRider

But what is the airspeed of an unladen Anaconda?

I do not remember what is cruise speed of my Tradeconda. Looks like dirty tuning gave me +18% multiplier, I had 190 m/s before upgrade, now I should have 225 m/s? I will check after return home from work.

I think, there is almost no difference in speed between laden and unladen ship in this build. For laden boost speed was 299, unladen 302 or something.

StonedRider

OK, so I haven't played in ages (after Powerplay but before Horizon).

Can anyone give me a very basic description of the combat 'meta'.

When I played, gimballed guns were king (except in PvP where chaff was everywhere), missiles were useless, pulse lasers were better than burst/beam in almost every conceivable situation, shield cell banks were essentially mandatory and armour upgrades (material or bulkhead modules) were relatively pointless.

Perhaps more importantly, is there any new mechanic that's going to get me killed if I don't know it? Has the NPC combat AI had any major changes?

Shield banks have long boot time now and overheat system on use. Consider including heatsinks in your build with shield banks.

Now we have engineers and you can upgrade almost every stat of every module (most often in expence of another stat), that makes build variation much broader.

Combat AI became better, especially with high ranked NPCs. For example, they frequently use chaffs now and they use it smarter than before. They also use shield cell banks with perfect timing. But nothing impossible here.

As for new mechanic, I do not think there was any significant changes in combat during last updates. Missiles damage has been buffed, we have huge and large multicannons now, that's all I can remember now.

Volimar

I do not remember what is cruise speed of my Tradeconda. Looks like dirty tuning gave me +18% multiplier, I had 190 m/s before upgrade, now I should have 225 m/s? I will check after return home from work.

I think, there is almost no difference in speed between laden and unladen ship in this build. For laden boost speed was 299, unladen 302 or something.

Didn't get the reference?

Top Bottom