• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

kennah

Whoah! That's a badass infection. I had it when i was really, really young and still remember the coughing and the concern on my mum's face. Get well soon, space cowboys!

That's no joke! Hope you guys feel better soon and that #5 makes it out unscathed.
Hey thanks. I'm just glad I dont have a job right now (just moved across the country). Been going on three weeks of super sick myself.

Number 5 is my wife who had it as a kid.

Ironically if it weren't for having this I probably wouldn't have gotten as in to Elite Dangerous as I have.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, I'm reading that 2.2 just might have finally fixed the very old bug preventing paint wear and tear from working on most ships. If this is true I just might buy a skin pack from the Frontier store to thank them and celebrate. I hated that my Asp traveled 210,000 lys around the galaxy and came home looking brand spanking new....

vector824

Okay, I'm reading that 2.2 just might have finally fixed the very old bug preventing paint wear and tear from working on most ships. If this is true I just might buy a skin pack from the Frontier store to thank them and celebrate. I hated that my Asp traveled 210,000 lys around the galaxy and came home looking brand spanking new....

Nice! I wondered about that, because mine never showed any sign of looking old. Once it's fixed when we apply a paint job after a long trip will it look new again?

Mengy

Confirmed, wear and tear are back in the game for 2.2!!!!!

HL73uBK.jpg

tBUOrPS.jpg

I see a -33% discount on Steam right now. Is that a sale or is it a discount for owning something? I see no information regarding this, and no countdown on the store page.

Dizzy-4U

The Anaconda's biggest negative is that it's very slow, every other ship in the game except for the T9 can keep up with it or outrun it. An interdiction by a wing of three is like the worst case possible for it, lol.
It was the first time I've seen a wing of 3, so it caught me by surprise. I usually submit to interdiction and boost away without issues but they warped in way too close and opened fire very quickly.

Mengy

This is a big deal!

Yeah, it's a little thing that was a big deal in the past. It certainly does seem like Frontier is not only listening to community feedback more than ever, but actually acting on it too. So many little but great fixes and improvements that have been thrown into 2.2 that it's honestly surprising to me, lol.

joecanada

It was the first time I've seen a wing of 3, so it caught me by surprise. I usually submit to interdiction and boost away without issues but they warped in way too close and opened fire very quickly.

This probably wouldn't be as effective with cmdrs but I am finding mines great. My anaconda has just a couple missiles, lasers and mine launchers as I'm trying to max jump range of course. Last night got interdicted and mines annihilated the NPC shields so I actually swung back to finish him. He was in a fed gunship . Never even broke my shields

I guess I'll replace my Anaconda with the Beluga as soon as the Beta ends if they keep the specs or improve (as in remove at least one internal restriction) them.

This does not look bad at all:

And with the massive fuel tank it is the perfect long range vessel with style.

It's a bump in the wrong direction actually. The new graphics settings and enhanced stations come with a cost.

The current beta performance though has to be a bug or issue because I get FPS going from 20's to 140's all the time in the beta.

I hope they get that ironed out before it launches though as it's basically not playable with it constantly going crazy and stuttering like that.

KaoteK

So both the base have and the horizons season pass is on sale, should I go for both our just the base game add someone who's only reference is the original from the 80s?

Edit: how well will my i7 4720hq/ 960m 4gb/ 8gb ram laptop run the game?

Starting to mess more with the engineers, at Felicity's base now. Where was the guide to find materials for upgrading? I need to locate some sulfur.

Sulfer is one of the most common materials out there. You'll find it just about everywhere on planets.

You can also get it as a mission reward.

You can use EDDB.IO's Bodies search to look for nearby planets (put the system you are at in the "Reference System" box) and search for one with a high percentage of Sulfur.

You can also use the system map to search since you can see the percentages on planets that have been detail scanned or you have data for.

Effect

So the HOTAS (Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS 4) came and I've been messing around with it this evening. Took a while to find some bindings that worked but ED had it listed so I didn't have to bind to many things. Still finding myself using the keyboard but oh well. I wish I could get Voice Attack to work properly but I've never been able to. Granted it wasn't a lot of money but wish I could take back that purchase.

Flying feels better but I'm not sure if it's having a throttle now or just because the joystick itself feels better in general over my Extreme 3D Joystick. I was having issues with it off and on for a while now. Maybe I just needed to buy a new one and kept on using the keyboard?

I'm not really feeling that much of an improvement over using the throttle and buttons over just having my left hand on the keyboard. The only true thing I'd put over at the moment it is being able to increase and decrease speed fluidly. That's better then pressing the keys but it was easier to use lateral and vertical thrust with the keyboard. From there I could easily hit a number of keys for chaff, supercruise, etc. I'm not liking the placement of the rocker (I think that's it) or the buttons. I want to take take it into combat to see how that feels and I might do that tomorrow.

After I try combat out I'll make my decision if I want to keep it or return it and just buy a new stand alone joystick and keep using the keyboard.

Volimar

The SRV is a lot of fun. On my first trip in one I found an illegal mining operation. Definiely need more cargo space....and need to b e able to take a beating better.

The game is going to get more demanding as it goes on. Better start planning your upgrades if you have an old build.
I do not consider the recent 1070 superclocked an old build though
The current beta performance though has to be a bug or issue because I get FPS going from 20's to 140's all the time in the beta.

I hope they get that ironed out before it launches though as it's basically not playable with it constantly going crazy and stuttering like that.
For me it is worst when entering a system. After this it gets better. Seems like a streaming error of some sort. The game is running off of an ssd though

Dizzy-4U

This probably wouldn't be as effective with cmdrs but I am finding mines great. My anaconda has just a couple missiles, lasers and mine launchers as I'm trying to max jump range of course. Last night got interdicted and mines annihilated the NPC shields so I actually swung back to finish him. He was in a fed gunship . Never even broke my shields
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot.

DrBo42

Sandro Sammarco said:
Hello Commanders!

In what is likely to be the final surprise test for beta 2.2, we're making a change to hatchbreaker limpets.

They will no longer be affected by shields.

Hatch breakers, as before, cannot be shot down by point defence. ECMs will still work (and should still work to remove them from the hull).

They will still travel at 300 m/s.

Piracy is a multi-faceted issue, we understand that this is is only a small part of the equation. However, we are interested in seeing what difference pulling this one lever will have.

This change should drop in the next beta update.

Feedback, as usual, will be greatly appreciated!

Get your ECM ready in open, traders.

These ranks are no joke. I just got to Chief Petty Officer, so I can at least get the FAS. I want to get that corvette, but rear admiral seems so far away…

I honestly don’t even know what ship I want next. I’ve been flying my ASP X for so long it kind of just grew on me, plus I still have a few upgrades I want to do on it. What I’m thinking is I’ll go for the dropship next then finally the corvette.

Volimar

I crashed my conda on a planet yesterday. Feelsbadman. I didn't think I was going that fast but bam.

These ranks are no joke. I just got to Chief Petty Officer, so I can at least get the FAS. I want to get that corvette, but rear admiral seems so far away…

I honestly don’t even know what ship I want next. I’ve been flying my ASP X for so long it kind of just grew on me, plus I still have a few upgrades I want to do on it. What I’m thinking is I’ll go for the dropship next then finally the corvette.

The grind wouldn't be so bad if each rank gave you something aside from a permit to a system with (usually) no real benefit to going to that system.

The Cowboy

Get your ECM ready in open, traders.

This seems a bit much to me (I'm a bounty hunter/pirate), if they are no longer affected by shields then they should be affected by point defence as well as ECM or if they aren't affect by point defence they should be affected by shields and only ECM (it should be one or the other).

Or they could at least do something like, they can bypass a shield but due to shield interference on the hatchbreakers radio signal to the home ship the time to break the hatch is increased (this would go back to normal if the shields go down).

I was ranking up to get a corvette myself, then the beta started and i tried an A graded one - i no longer want a corvette (just don't like it at all) and as such am not worried about ranking up anymore :D.

Shame really as i would love for the Anaconda to look like a Corvette, the ship is fantastic looking and its bridge view is just lovely.

Well I just picked up the Deluxe edition on Steam for 40, anyone got any good links for getting started?

Watch all the tutorials videos, play the tutorials. You'll get a good overview of the basics by doing that.

All the tutorials are being redone for 2.2 as well. Even I plan to redo them once 2.2 drops and I have hundreds of hours in the game.

There are also a lot of good community made videos explaining the basics. Some are out of date and things in the game have changed but most will give you a good idea of the basics.

There are loads of great community made tools/sites out there to use as well.

Top Bottom