• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I sat back today and realized how hilarious my setup for this game is. It's basically a frankenstein piece of shit lmfao.

n6xJ145.jpg

I really don't think anyone else is stingy enough to use a cheapo HOTAS with a 3 year old gaming laptop and a TV as a second monitor.

MattyG

Banned
So I have this on PC and enjoyed about 15 hours with it (pre-Horizons). I'm at college now and only have my Xbox. How does the Xbox version hold up?

So I sat back today and realized how hilarious my setup for this game is. It's basically a frankenstein piece of shit lmfao.

I really don't think anyone else is stingy enough to use a cheapo HOTAS with a 3 year old gaming laptop and a TV as a second monitor.

Why don't you play the game on the tv?

So I have this on PC and enjoyed about 15 hours with it (pre-Horizons). I'm at college now and only have my Xbox. How does the Xbox version hold up?

Really well. Load times are longer for instances and texture detail doesn't match the PC, but otherwise, it's great.

MattyG

Banned
Really well. Load times are longer for instances and texture detail doesn't match the PC, but otherwise, it's great.
Hmmmm, that's very tempting then... I have $10 off and I'm really itching to get back in. Can't drop $60 though, and I feel like I need to get Horizons. Decisions, decisions.

Kyoufu

I play on a 65" 4K OLED TV and it's absolutely glorious. I just wish planet surfaces didn't look trash and the transition from outer space into the planet's atmosphere wasn't so bad. Even No Man's Sky has some kind of believable transition.

Varvor

Did that while back...than decided to go ham and get good treatment to ED:

14681867_10157534649340032_2806836484480507955_n.jpg

14484966_10157485840540032_423533889651001516_n.jpg

14516378_10157485840930032_2724088063185108985_n.jpg

So damned jealous! Need to start looking for more monitors.

Looks like beta 6 brought along some FPS improvements: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...rame_rate_improvement_in_guardians_22_beta_6/

I tried the Beta 6 update last night and was very pleasantly surprised by improved frame rate, especially on planet surfaces. I was getting 20–30 FPS max with most all settings on low, including shadows, on a 2014 15in MacBook Pro running Windows 7 on Bootcamp. After Beta 6 I'm getting 35–45 FPS on the surface with most settings on medium/high (shadows on medium).
This makes a big difference with smoother control of the rover, which is a joy to pilot.
Thanks, Frontier!

Beta 7 incoming, too: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/57aphn/elite_dangerous_22_beta_update_7/

Effect

Any chance of them letting us set predetermined locations on planets with them changing them? Like can we set a location with a certain lat/long and then fly to that target? Has that ever been talked about?

Jedi2016

Not remotely. I think I read that you can bookmark a location on a planet surface, but you have to actually be at the location to do it.

It would definitely make navigation a hell of a lot easier if you could input coordinates manually or just select a location on the system map and be able to fly straight to it.

As for the new textures... after seeing this video yesterday from ObsidianAnt on Outerra, it shows just how far Elite has to go.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As for the new textures... after seeing this video yesterday from ObsidianAnt on Outerra, it shows just how far Elite has to go.

Outerra is impressive, but it's not a game yet, just an engine. Elite has a lot more going on in the background taking up processing cycles. I honestly don't know how they are going to pull off atmospheric planet surfaces. Maybe they are just waiting for hardware to advance enough to allow it, lol.

Grief.exe

Outerra is impressive, but it's not a game yet, just an engine. Elite has a lot more going on in the background taking up processing cycles. I honestly don't know how they are going to pull off atmospheric planet surfaces. Maybe they are just waiting for hardware to advance enough to allow it, lol.

One of the reasons they are likely ditching x86 support.

Jedi2016

Until we see planets with atmo in Elite, it's hard to compare the 2.
Not really. Don't look at the sky, just look at the ground. The way the dirt and rocks look, the way the mountains and valleys interact, is on a whole other level from Elite. Sorry to say, but unless FD does a major overhaul with planet generation (as in, from scratch), it'll never even be close.

Burny

Until we see planets with atmo in Elite, it's hard to compare the 2.

Nah, it's pretty reasonalby possible to compare them on a couple of topics, most notable of all: Geometry!

Outerra bends Elite Dangerous over and spanks it mercilessly in terms of geometry. Overhangs, actual, sharp ridges on maintains, the whole lot Elite wishes it had in order for it's vertical features to look like actually convicing cliffs instead of the molten ice cream mountains we get instead, which look plain aritificial, imo pretty boring and unconvincing. Boulders of varying sizes also integrate so much better int Outerra's landscape than the somewhat unfitting meshes in Elite, that are just sunken into the ground..

The only thing I could come up with in Elite's defense here, is that it's a networked game. In order to prevent weird side effects from happening with players moving through geometry others can't see or floating through the air for others, everybody has to have the same geometry. It can probably reasonably assumed that adding Outerra's horizontal displacement in Elite would make the weaker PCs weep, on which Elite still runs more or less reasonably. But I'm still holding out for them adding the feature some time down the road, when the base level for gaming PCs has been raised.

In terms of production values however, it's very much visible that Outerra has no budget behind it. It's more of an engine than a game - smilar to space engine. The trees for example are flat 2D textures that just happen to always rotate so as you can see the flat side. Looks funny from straight above, but surpisingly convincing from some distance.

Burny

Not really. Don't look at the sky, just look at the ground. The way the dirt and rocks look, the way the mountains and valleys interact, is on a whole other level from Elite. Sorry to say, but unless FD does a major overhaul with planet generation (as in, from scratch), it'll never even be close.

Nah to that as well. Most likely no restart from scratch needed. In terms of geometry, it seems to be mostly the horizontal displacement that Outerra has over Elite and the logic how to use it where. Look at their presentation!

They detail the steps their generation does on the surface and before applying horizontal displacement, you'll find that their terrain looks eerily similar to Elite's. ;)

From a very, very high level, Frontier probably would have to replace the "bolder placing" logic with the boulders formed through the horizontal displacement and add a logic determining where to use horizontal displacement on cliffs, in order to "catch up" in terms of geometry.

So I played this game on and off, mainly because of some lack of content in diversity of missions. I felt like I was just grinding to get a higher end ship with no real goal, due to the lack of interaction with other players (like no clans, no contested territory). The CPU combat was a bit boring with how the AI flew as well.

Last time I played was before the first "big" update when you can get crew members, would it be worth it to get back into it? Does PvP exist to a degree with world events like controlling sectors?

CbearNJamaal

Neo Member
I've been thinking about buying this for quite a while (PC)... Spent some time on youtube and it looks really interesting. I have a regular/cheap joystick (no HOTAS).

Do I need to buy the base game and DLC (Horizon) right away or is there still plenty to do in the base game? It looks like Horizon adds a ton of content.

DrBo42

So I played this game on and off, mainly because of some lack of content in diversity of missions. I felt like I was just grinding to get a higher end ship with no real goal, due to the lack of interaction with other players (like no clans, no contested territory). The CPU combat was a bit boring with how the AI flew as well.

Last time I played was before the first "big" update when you can get crew members, would it be worth it to get back into it? Does PvP exist to a degree with world events like controlling sectors?
Nope to all questions.

They're adding more options to combat...I guess...with ship launched fighters. New way to make money and check out some of the lore of Elite with passengers. A little more nuance to exploration with white dwarf/neutron star FSD boosts. But overall nothing is really changing or evolving. Still the same level of interaction with the world and other players with no goal other than money/ships/equipment or pilot fed rank. No real indication when some headway will be made there either.

How will they do Earth, with the cities and such?

I suspect only specific areas of certain planets will be available if they ever allow us to visit earth or highly populated planets.

We don't have any reason to believe we'll be limited or restricted. They've talked often about being able to land anywhere, go into cities, explore wildlife/flora, etc.

The cynic in me thinks there will be some sort of artificial "gate" to cities to hide instance and asset loading, though.

Pomerlaw

Earth will be limited I think to certain zones, because they would have to handcraft too much. We know how Earth is supposed to look like. They can't PG all that.

Earth will be limited I think to certain zones, because they would have to handcraft too much. We know how Earth is supposed to look like. They can't PG all that.

That's actually pretty easy since all the data for creating a realistic version of Earth already exist (See Outerra).

They'd just have to run it through their process for simulating 1300 years of erosion, etc...

The hard part is going to be the cities, towns, etc...

Every dot of light on the dark side of a planet, if they don't want a complete immersion breaker, has to match up to some sort of structure or light source on the planet itself.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, the newsletter was interesting today! They put a very short 2.2 trailer in it, but THIS was shown for a split second:

14712777_1814732655476728_8975139357681805048_o.jpg

They look cool, must be the "biologics" that the patch notes said were added to planet surfaces. I hope they aren't too impossible to find out there...

Volimar

Lost my first corvette. I was trying to get combat bonds for an engineer and was taking a while to kill an anaconda. By the time I finished, there were way more enemies than allies and the cz turned on me hard. After being forced to reboot and working diligently to keep my fsd online, I finally got away but due to the gravity well slowing my speed I didn't make it back to the station before my oxygen ran out. I was so close too, just outside of disengage range. Probably could have launched in the SRV and boosted to the station...eventually. Insurance was painful, but losing all those bonds was worse.

vector824

Lost my first corvette. I was trying to get combat bonds for an engineer and was taking a while to kill an anaconda. By the time I finished, there were way more enemies than allies and the cz turned on me hard. After being forced to reboot and working diligently to keep my fsd online, I finally got away but due to the gravity well slowing my speed I didn't make it back to the station before my oxygen ran out. I was so close too, just outside of disengage range. Probably could have launched in the SRV and boosted to the station...eventually. Insurance was painful, but losing all those bonds was worse.

Man that sucks. I hate having all that effort go down the drain like that.

You can launch an SRV in space? o.0

That's actually pretty easy since all the data for creating a realistic version of Earth already exist (See Outerra).

They'd just have to run it through their process for simulating 1300 years of erosion, etc...

The hard part is going to be the cities, towns, etc...

Every dot of light on the dark side of a planet, if they don't want a complete immersion breaker, has to match up to some sort of structure or light source on the planet itself.
I want to check out my house in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan in the year 3302 and grab a poutine from the nearby shop

Jedi2016

Well, the game does factor gravity properly, so if you could calculate trajectory and velocity required to escape the planet... But, most likely the SRV simply isn't capable of it, except on planets with exceptionally low gravity, but then you've got the wheel thrusters keeping you down, and I don't think there's any way to turn those off (I for one would love to, though).

Top Bottom