• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Jedi2016

Well, I plan on getting an Anaconda next, because the Corvette is the only ship in the game that I can't currently buy anyway. I'll eventually get a Cutter (I'm already ranked up for it), but it's not high on my list at the moment.

Nibiru

Banned
Is there anyone here playing Elite on the Vive? I've heard it didn't run so well but with tweaks it is much better. Wondering if anyone here has experience with that.

Volimar

Aww yiss

ZCBzToc.jpg

So far the vette feels like a beefed up Anaconda with a much worse jump range. Really liking it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is there anyone here playing Elite on the Vive? I've heard it didn't run so well but with tweaks it is much better. Wondering if anyone here has experience with that.

My friend just bought a vive and tried it out with ED and he says it's absolutely incredible and runs like a dream. He does have a GTX 1060 though.

Nibiru

Banned
My friend just bought a vive and tried it out with ED and he says it's absolutely incredible and runs like a dream. He does have a GTX 1060 though.

That is really good to hear. Hard to get a clear take on how it ran currently because so many posts were from several months ago.

Volimar

Oh man, the vette cuts through everything so quick. I put a beam laser on the large hardpoint and everything else is multicannons. Went to an extraction zone and just shredded everything that came up wanted. A rated thrusters made maneuvering the ring a lot easier than I expected. So far I'm very happy with corvette.

I wish you could go someplace like Jameson and just collect all your bounties at once. I have like half a dozen random bounties that I'll probably never chase down.

Kyoufu

I wish you could go someplace like Jameson and just collect all your bounties at once. I have like half a dozen random bounties that I'll probably never chase down.

Is that not being added in 2.2? Thought I read on Reddit that it will.

What modifications have you made to the Corvette? Modules etc? I'm about to buy one.

Volimar

Is that not being added in 2.2? Thought I read on Reddit that it will.

What modifications have you made to the Corvette? Modules etc? I'm about to buy one.

I got pretty much the best of everything. Some stuff like sensors and life support I got D rated to get a tiny jump boost. Also a chaff launcher and point defense and shield boosters. I might grab a shield cell too but I haven't needed one yet.

DrBo42

I've used both and know their differences. I prefer the higher DPS and better hardpoint placement and I think that those make it a better combat ship for PVE.

Not sure what to tell you. There's really nothing wrong with Corvette hardpoint placement as long as you're at the correct range. You can use the extra large hardpoints to stomp bots more efficiently I guess but if you're looking to stay in an engagement or zone for longer with multiple enemies on you the vette beats the conda handily IMO. The dps difference doesn't even matter when their shields are popped in seconds with engineer upgrades. Everything dies quick in either ship.

SC stream is making Elite's surfaces look like hot garbage right now. Good lord.

As we've yet to see any surfaces with an atmosphere from the team at Frontier I'll hold off my fan boy judging until we see stuff that we can directly compare.

I've not seen (though I don't follow SC as closely) any atmosphereless planets/moons from SC that are more directly comparable to what Elite currently has.

If there was anything Elite was to steal from Star Citizen I'd want to to be the seamless loading from surface to station/space without ever hitting a loading screen or instance barrier like you do in Elite.

Burny

SC stream is making Elite's surfaces look like hot garbage right now. Good lord.

You mean the scripted, partially broken tech demo for which they explicitly have no ETA? Yep, looked like what you get from a pretty handcrafted level. Quit a bit nicer than Elite's surfaces. Only not anywhere near a deliverable game at the moment. Par for the course with everything Star Citizen, I guess. Maybe if we all buy a couple of their nice new .jpeg sale (Polaris, 750$), that 125$Mio. dollar backer money project will move a bit closer to completion.

I wouldn't mind that hover bike in Elite BTW. At least I have reasonable confidence that FDev would manage to get its movement physics into a non janky broken mess state and we could move about at more than snail's pace without fear of leaving the scripted demo area. :) The SRV has bloody wheels and we get more air with it than with that thing.

You mean the scripted, partially broken tech demo for which they explicitly have no ETA? Yep, looked like what you get from a pretty handcrafted level. Quit a bit nicer than Elite's surfaces. Only not anywhere near a deliverable game at the moment. Part for the course with everything Star Citizen, I guess. Maybe if we all buy a couple of their nice new .jpeg sale (Polaris, 750$), that 125$Mio. dollar backer money project will move a bit closer to completion.

I want that hover bike in Elite BTW. At least I have reasonable confidence that FDev would manage to get its movement physics into a non janky broken mess state and we could move about at more than snail's p ace without fear of leaving the scripted demo area. :) The SRV has bloody wheels and we get more air with it than with that thing.

We need skimmers to drive.

DrBo42

You mean the scripted, partially broken tech demo for which they explicitly have no ETA? Yep, looked like what you get from a pretty handcrafted level. Quit a bit nicer than Elite's surfaces. Only not anywhere near a deliverable game at the moment. Part for the course with everything Star Citizen, I guess. Maybe if we all buy a couple of their nice new .jpeg sale (Polaris, 750$), that 125$Mio. dollar backer money project will move a bit closer to completion.

I wouldn't mind that hover bike in Elite BTW. At least I have reasonable confidence that FDev would manage to get its movement physics into a non janky broken mess state and we could move about at more than snail's pace without fear of leaving the scripted demo area. :) The SRV has bloody wheels and we get more air with it than with that thing.

Sure took that one a bit seriously. I have no stake in SC besides a starter pack but you have to admit that down to an engine level, it's quite a difference. Hand crafted worlds via paint tools or not, that generation tech is far more convincing than our rolling hills. Physics and control of most of what's in SC is definitely looking real rough.

Burny

Sure took that one a bit seriously. I have no stake in SC besides a starter pack but you have to admit that down to an engine level, it's quite a difference. Hand crafted worlds via paint tools or not, that generation tech is far more convincing than our rolling hills. Physics and control of most of what's in SC is definitely looking real rough.

Na, I'm just more and more pissed at Star Citizen. :) And yeah, I've complained about Horizon's molten ice cream mountains here and on the official forums to anybody who would listen or not...

But about everything Star Citizen that has been shown and that includes the Spaceships, has visually trounced about anything in Elite from day one. Nearly two years after the release of Elite and SC's initially promised release later though, they keep showing tech demos while the promised game is a no-show. Fuck that! Less waffling about the ultimate space game and more delivering would be nice for a change. They manage to make even Elite Dangerous, with its undercooked game design and heightmap mountain planets look good on my PC. Because it's on there and moving about on them is fluent and reasonably fun. What use are nice textures, a couple of handcrafted tree and rock assets, when you can't play with it or the demoed pretend FPS gameplay (as in not releaseable anytime soon or even in that exact shape) does not even compete with what's been done in the cryengine shooters for years?

Volimar

I think the way Elite does instance transitions is pretty clever. My only real gripes with ED visually are:

You get too close to textures before they render to higher quality making it very noticeable

The shaders aren't as detailed as I'd like

I wish there was a way to change the color of the UI in menu.

The first two might have to do with my computer rather than the game though.

That is really good to hear. Hard to get a clear take on how it ran currently because so many posts were from several months ago.

I bought a Vive specifically for Elite and whilst the sense of immersion is amazing there are a lot of issues with anti aliasing and general frame rates plus the resolution of the screens make everything a bit blurry no matter what tweaks you make.

I ended up buying a Titan X as my 980ti just wasn't up to it so i would say that if you dont have a monster gpu then Elite just isnt ready for the Vive. Other people do manage to get it working good enough but for me it felt like a real compromise on the graphical side.

I think the next update is supposed to have some fixes but there is a 70+ page thread on the Vive and its issues over on the Elite forums. Wish id read that before buying mine.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/247986-HTC-Vive-resolution-and- focus

E-flux

I bought a Vive specifically for Elite and whilst the sense of immersion is amazing there are a lot of issues with anti aliasing and general frame rates plus the resolution of the screens make everything a bit blurry no matter what tweaks you make.

I ended up buying a Titan X as my 980ti just wasn't up to it so i would say that if you dont have a monster gpu then Elite just isnt ready for the Vive. Other people do manage to get it working good enough but for me it felt like a real compromise on the graphical side.

I think the next update is supposed to have some fixes but there is a 70+ page thread on the Vive and its issues over on the Elite forums. Wish id read that before buying mine.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/247986-HTC-Vive-resolution-and- focus

I bought a vive too for Elite too, thankfully the other games surprised the hell out of me and i don't really mind that Elite looks like ass in it since i can play plenty of other vr games at the moment and wait for some fixes, if it is fixable.

It is specific to Vive or does it spread to Oculus too?

I think that the Oculus fairs better overall but still isnt perfect. I dont have one myself but have read up on Elite VR since getting the Vive and people who post with an Oculus seem to be getting better results than the Vive.

Some of my pie-in-the-sky wishlist for Elite over the next five years, tech-wise:
-Expand instances to be system-based vs planet/POI based
-Until the above happens, continue to improve on load times when loading instances (dropping out of cruise, particularly on planets/based)
-Improved streaming and LOD
-Horizontal displayment in Stellar Forge and/or wide variety of crafted models that are integrated intelligently into procgen
-Improving the quality and variety of shaders (which they seem to be doing)

EDIT: Aaaah, not even gonna get into CitizenCon stuff.

It is specific to Vive or does it spread to Oculus too?

The Rift has better support from FDev at the moment. It's easier to get good performance out of mediocre hardware in ED with a Rift as a result. Vive owners are more or less stuck brute forcing better looking visuals until FDev properly fixes Vive implementation. Unless you have a 980Ti or better, ED look like shit in the Vive.

I have a 1080 but continue to advocate for them to improve their implementation. People shouldn't have to brute force decent performance when other headsets do not have to.

After 3 months, of "Frame Shift Charging" and **Scanning sounds** i FINALLY managed to reach Jaques.

Holy SH*$#RT, but only reach Pioneer ! Now i need to scan a bit more.

Im thinking in Sagittarius A and then go back to the bubble.

HelloMeow

Not sure what to tell you. There's really nothing wrong with Corvette hardpoint placement as long as you're at the correct range. You can use the extra large hardpoints to stomp bots more efficiently I guess but if you're looking to stay in an engagement or zone for longer with multiple enemies on you the vette beats the conda handily IMO. The dps difference doesn't even matter when their shields are popped in seconds with engineer upgrades. Everything dies quick in either ship.

You can fit 2 sidewinders between those hardpoints :D

Kyoufu

On my usual Sothis run I took a Federal Navy mission to acquire some Tea. Then I saw another mission that also wanted some Tea so I thought what the heck, I'll bring back more Tea to get this mission done as well.

Little did I know, that Tea mission spawned a strong Anaconda to fuck me up. After some interdictions I was left at 24% hull integrity before abandoning the mission and despawning the fucker.

Was sweating with millions worth of cargo and a potential 7.5 mil rebuy. Whew.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
On my usual Sothis run I took a Federal Navy mission to acquire some Tea. Then I saw another mission that also wanted some Tea so I thought what the heck, I'll bring back more Tea to get this mission done as well.

Little did I know, that Tea mission spawned a strong Anaconda to fuck me up. After some interdictions I was left at 24% hull integrity before abandoning the mission and despawning the fucker.

Was sweating with millions worth of cargo and a potential 7.5 mil rebuy. Whew.

This is hilarious because one of my first disasters in this game was also an attempt to deliver tea.

I swear tea has to be like a code word for "HIGHLY POWERFUL DOOMSDAY WEAPON"

Up to 77m after this latest run. Should I get another run in or move to a Python for hauling? Is ~20m okay for a hauling build compared to my AspX right now?

golem

I skipped Python and just went for a trade build Anaconda instead.

Yeah the Python isnt really a huge upgrade from the AspX and you lose jump range, but since there isnt really a big penalty to buying and selling ships it might be worth it just to mix things up during your Sothis grind to the 'Conda. Just jam a big scoop on it.

Kyoufu

I'd need a LOT more to buy and properly outfit an Anaconda though right?

150 mil is what it took to fit mine with all the goods. That's like 5 Sothis runs if you're smart with cargo space.

Thanks to the Anaconda I'm at 620 million now. Should reach 1 billion soon doing just two runs a day.

150 mil is what it took to fit mine with all the goods. That's like 5 Sothis runs if you're smart with cargo space.

Thanks to the Anaconda I'm at 620 million now. Should reach 1 billion soon doing just two runs a day.

Thanks. Ended up with the Python. Never owned one before. Headed to Elvira now to squeeze more juice out of this FSD then I'll start my Sothis runs in this.

It's more nimble and responsive than I expected. Then again, it's basically the same size as the AspX.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Ended up with the Python. Never owned one before. Headed to Elvira now to squeeze more juice out of this FSD then I'll start my Sothis runs in this.

It's more nimble and responsive than I expected. Then again, it's basically the same size as the AspX.

How much was the Python? Wondering what to get next.

Kyoufu

Discounted ships are great. The Anaconda only set me back 126 million or so.

I don't know which ship I'll buy next. I'd like the Corvette and the Cutter but I'm not sure if I feel like grinding reputation for both factions. :(

Top Bottom