• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Lol

Maybe the Moose will still be standing.
Forget the mass pollution, that'll be the real metric for telling if the world went to shit or not

once we get to walk around inside the spaceships maybe we can get proper escape pod action. practice your abandon ship remlok drills.

It's always been strange to me that the game says "eject, eject" over and over again yet gives you no option to do so. I wonder if they've always intended to flesh out ship destruction beyond instant death.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I really wish that elite had a keybind that was just "look at target", it would really help since I don't have head tracking set up.

It's always been strange to me that the game says "eject, eject" over and over again yet gives you no option to do so. I wonder if they've always intended to flesh out ship destruction beyond instant death.

I used to play steel battalion on the xbox and if you failed to eject it would delete your save file lol.

So maybe nothing that extreme but I would like it if they added ejection and there was a difference between ejecting and going down with your ship.

maybe if you manage to eject then you have a chance to salvage a few modules or something which lowers your rebuy cost.

I'm going out to Lunan Holdings in 36 Ophiuchi. lol. it's a solid hour of supercruise from the main star. why am I doing this. lmao.

sitting here dreaming about getting out of the pilot's chair and walking around inside the ship, playing a card game with the crew, fiddling around with a map table or something in the captain's room charting out the next big supercruise drive, checking the cargo is properly strapped down. lol.

not that I'd even have a crew or have any cargo hold in the viper mk3 I'm using right now. heh.

Volimar

I'm going out to Lunan Holdings in 36 Ophiuchi. lol. it's a solid hour of supercruise from the main star. why am I doing this. lmao.

sitting here dreaming about getting out of the pilot's chair and walking around inside the ship, playing a card game with the crew, fiddling around with a map table or something in the captain's room charting out the next big supercruise drive, checking the cargo is properly strapped down. lol.

not that I'd even have a crew or have any cargo hold in the viper mk3 I'm using right now. heh.

I bet they got tons of little games like bejewelled and tetris for sale at stations for pilots to play on long trips.

Jedi2016

Grinding out bounties for the CG. Trying to find Cracked Industrial Firmware. Debating on Anaconda or Beluga once the patch drops (which will, again, lead to Anaconda if it can rake in the credits).

joecanada

So I'm trying to grab level 5 fsd range engineering mats went to deciat 6d to look for arsenic. Was my first srv trip and man those planets are barren , is asteroid mining any better ? Did spot some wanted skimmers picking up pods but didn't know what to do lol. Then the server crashed and I couldn't get back on sigh.... Also I've been using a frame shift scanner for weeks and have zero atypical wakes or whichever is level 5 .... Damn that's brutal. I may not pursue this engineering stuff ( well lvl 5 anyway) after all .

Volimar

So I'm trying to grab level 5 fsd range engineering mats went to deciat 6d to look for arsenic. Was my first srv trip and man those planets are barren , is asteroid mining any better ? Did spot some wanted skimmers picking up pods but didn't know what to do lol. Then the server crashed and I couldn't get back on sigh.... Also I've been using a frame shift scanner for weeks and have zero atypical wakes or whichever is level 5 .... Damn that's brutal. I may not pursue this engineering stuff ( well lvl 5 anyway) after all .

If the skimmers are wanted or lawless feel free to destroy them and take the cargo.

Took a few days off and I’m 13k ly from both Sol and Sag A. So I’m at least at the halfway point. I’ve gotten really lazy though. I don’t even open up the system map to see if there are any good scannable objects. I just space horn and keep jumping.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Took a few days off and I’m 13k ly from both Sol and Sag A. So I’m at least at the halfway point. I’ve gotten really lazy though. I don’t even open up the system map to see if there are any good scannable objects. I just space horn and keep jumping.

Yeah I can't do that, I always glance at the system map while the FSD is spooling up. If I see anything interesting I'll abort the jump and explore the system, otherwise I jump to the next star. But I always have to look, I just have to, and I've found some extremely awesome systems along the way because of looking.

Urthor

Grinding out bounties for the CG. Trying to find Cracked Industrial Firmware. Debating on Anaconda or Beluga once the patch drops (which will, again, lead to Anaconda if it can rake in the credits).

Cracked Industrial is fairly easy to find with base raiding. Find the Modified Embedded Firmware guide on the Frontier forums and it'll have a guide to speedrunning medium bases for firmware that will give you loads of cracked industrial

Jedi2016

Cracked Industrial is fairly easy to find with base raiding. Find the Modified Embedded Firmware guide on the Frontier forums and it'll have a guide to speedrunning medium bases for firmware that will give you loads of cracked industrial
Yeah, that doesn't seem to be working so well. Near a dozen bases so far, and only one CIF and zero MEF.

CrisysCoreBR

Neo Member
hey guys, just bought the base game and I am pretty much lost about what I'm supposed to be doing. I've read that bounty hunting is a good way to start, how do I do those?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
hey guys, just bought the base game and I am pretty much lost about what I'm supposed to be doing. I've read that bounty hunting is a good way to start, how do I do those?

Oh boy, so this game is really weird when you first start out. I would suggest sticking to data delivery missions for now to build a decent bank.

The way you do bounty hunting early on is by flying to a nav beacon near the main star of a system, once there you scan down all the traffic you see and if anything is wanted you help the cops shoot it out of the sky, then you fly to a station in that system and go to the contacts tab when docked, there you can redeem bounty vouchers for cold hard cash.

Elite is a very free form game which can make you feel lost early on, so feel free to ask questions as you go.

CrisysCoreBR

Neo Member
Oh boy, so this game is really weird when you first start out. I would suggest sticking to data delivery missions for now to build a decent bank.

The way you do bounty hunting early on is by flying to a nav beacon near the main star of a system, once there you scan down all the traffic you see and if anything is wanted you help the cops shoot it out of the sky, then you fly to a station in that system and go to the contacts tab when docked, there you can redeem bounty vouchers for cold hard cash.

Elite is a very free form game which can make you feel lost early on, so feel free to ask questions as you go.

Thanks i appreciate the help. I did three missions of the mission board, but most of them tell that "hostile ships may be sent against you". Should I avoid those?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thanks i appreciate the help. I did three missions of the mission board, but most of them tell that "hostile ships may be sent against you". Should I avoid those?

Nah almost every mission that has you moving cargo will have that little warning. It just means you're likely to get interdicted while doing the delivery.

The types of missions you should avoid are conflict zone related ones (they're the ones labeled massacre random factions ships), they're flat out not worth it 90% of the time since conflict zones are horrifying early on. Also keep in mind for mini missions involving mining you're gonna need a ship fit for that task.

Other than that just try out things that look interesting.

Pomerlaw

Opeth 9A

29677586084_37678464a9_h.jpg

29677345343_7342822d5a_h.jpg

The PG is getting better and better.

Jedi2016

Not port begging but has there been even a hint a ps4 version?
It's always been hinted, there's just no date. I wouldn't hold my breath, it could be anywhere from next year to 2027. If you have a PC that can run Internet Explorer, it's probably plenty powerful enough to run this game, it has very low requirements.

gfxtwin

Even if earth and other earth-like planets with civilizations (at night you can see lights on the surface of the planet that suggest cities) were only observable from orbit I'd be content in staring at and imagining what it was like down there if nothing else, though to be fair that might be kinda restricting the gameplay potential.

Trading with the data would be great. To a far bigger extend than it is possible right now. But what just happened there is ridiculous. :(

LeBart

I think revealing detailed surface maps with the wide range scanner is absolutely the way to go, but the detailed surface scanner needs to have a purpose as well.

Immersion Cancer, this community has it.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but you think FD doesn't? Just going from A to B can take several hours in this game, of course it's going to appeal to hardcore sim enthusiasts, and of course these people are going to want things to be realistic rather than strictly "fun" or convenient, but ultimately FD will do what they want.

zorbsie

What is wrong with this community? Immersion at any cost. ugh. I love this game, but sometimes the people around it kill it for me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think revealing detailed surface maps with the wide range scanner is absolutely the way to go, but the detailed surface scanner needs to have a purpose as well.

I'm honestly of the opinion that detail surface maps should remain unlocked only by surface scans, by actually flying to the planet to within scanner range. HOWEVER I also think scanning times should be drastically reduced. It currently takes between 20 - 30 seconds to surface scan a planet, I think it should be more like 2 - 3 seconds. It's just an un-interactive time sink, sitting there watching that wheel spin for half a minute, and it's one of the things that drags out exploration into the boring tedious feeling thing that it is currently. You are already taking the time to fly to within scan range, that time sink should be enough IMHO to earn that surface scan.

Exploration needs a lot of QoL in general, but simply unlocking all of the surface maps with one honk after jumping in seems a tad TOO un-interactive to me.

Serrato

They should create a Scanning Mini-game or at least an actual scanner that let us get the actual information through something other than ''push a button for 5 sec'' or ''wait in front of the planet for 30 sec"

Maybe someday : D

Sibylus

Banned
Sensible scan times and a little visual feedback during said scans would go a looong way. Like a false-color laser sweeping the stellar object.

CrisysCoreBR

Neo Member
Nah almost every mission that has you moving cargo will have that little warning. It just means you're likely to get interdicted while doing the delivery.

The types of missions you should avoid are conflict zone related ones (they're the ones labeled massacre random factions ships), they're flat out not worth it 90% of the time since conflict zones are horrifying early on. Also keep in mind for mini missions involving mining you're gonna need a ship fit for that task.

Other than that just try out things that look interesting.

I did some bounty hunting and bought and the Eagle, liking it so far, just a little bit claustrophobic for my taste. The game can be really immersive and sometimes overwhelming, but I think that should pass with time. Am I missing much just with the base game right now?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I did some bounty hunting and bought and the Eagle, liking it so far, just a little bit claustrophobic for my taste. The game can be really immersive and sometimes overwhelming, but I think that should pass with time. Am I missing much just with the base game right now?

Nah I didn't get the horizon's DLC until I had well over 100 hours in the game lol.

While you're still getting your bearings in the game horizon's doesn't add much you'll be able to mess around with in your current state.

The eagle is a fun little shit early on, it's made of paper so you gotta be super careful with it but man it's soooo damn fast. Loading that thing up with gimbled multi cannons and a beam laser is so much fun.

CrisysCoreBR

Neo Member
Nah I didn't get the horizon's DLC until I had well over 100 hours in the game lol.

While you're still getting your bearings in the game horizon's doesn't add much you'll be able to mess around with in your current state.

The eagle is a fun little shit early on, it's made of paper so you gotta be super careful with it but man it's soooo damn fast. Loading that thing up with gimbled multi cannons and a beam laser is so much fun.
Thanks again for the help.
One thing that I noticed is that the default weapon in it don't auto aim on targets lol
Couldn't hit shit with it hahaha... The aiming + control of the ship can be really disorientating. Now I have to grind to upgrade for some better weapon.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thanks again for the help.
One thing that I noticed is that the default weapon in it don't auto aim on targets lol
Couldn't hit shit with it hahaha... The aiming + control of the ship can be really disorientating. Now I have to grind to upgrade for some better weapon.

There are 3 types of weapons make sure you are aware of which you are buying.

Fixed will fire in a straight line (really only shine in PVP encounters since they ignore chaff)

Gimbled will lock on to your target at the cost of a slight damage penalty and higher power draw. (pretty much the most functional most of the time)

Turrets will auto fire but are generally weaker and have huge power draw. (best for big slow ships that can hardly turn)

Burny

Mh, I'm not against making the detailed surface maps only available after an special scan. But it has to go hand in hand with changes to scan times - as Mengy says they need to be a lot shorter - and with exploration payouts being increased substantially from their pitiful state today.

On top of that, a somewhat skill based underlying mechanic wouldn't hurt, that gave you a hint of what kind of body you're looking at. Think something like a sonar with different signatures for the various bodies, similar to the SRV scanner.

Edit: And making an existing mechanic more inconvenient is a red flag anyway, unless there's a good reason to, like making it more engaging at the same time. Exploration being too profitable currently is certainly not the reason, as exploration pays shit all and even trading is very much interactive by comparison. You at least have to dock and dodge the occasional interdiction.

Speaking of QoL vs Immersion...

I wish they would buff fuel scoops. There is nothing remotely enjoyable about finding the sweet spot, throttling down, and waiting a few mins for your shitty fuel scoop (which may be the best for your ship that you can get) to fill up.

Best fuel scoops should scoop fast enough that you don't have to do the weird "sweet spot stall" in front of a star and can just loop it once or twice, maintaining your speed to help you just leave the system ASAP when exploring. I don't think every fuel scoop should be fantastic and fast but there is zero worthwhile, in terms of gameplay design, about sitting and staring at a star every few jumps.

I'm 100% dead against having a "Request docking" hotkey, though.

Top Bottom