• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

SmartBase

Some of my pie-in-the-sky wishlist for Elite over the next five years, tech-wise:
-Expand instances to be system-based vs planet/POI based
-Until the above happens, continue to improve on load times when loading instances (dropping out of cruise, particularly on planets/based)
-Improved streaming and LOD
-Horizontal displayment in Stellar Forge and/or wide variety of crafted models that are integrated intelligently into procgen
-Improving the quality and variety of shaders (which they seem to be doing)

EDIT: Aaaah, not even gonna get into CitizenCon stuff.

All that stuff (except for horizontal displacement) is probably on their "list" but who knows when Frontier will actually get around to it.

Burny

Some of my pie-in-the-sky wishlist for Elite over the next five years, tech-wise:
-Until the above happens, continue to improve on load times when loading instances (dropping out of cruise, particularly on planets/based)
-Improved streaming and LOD
-Horizontal displayment in Stellar Forge and/or wide variety of crafted models that are integrated intelligently into procgen
-Improving the quality and variety of shaders (which they seem to be doing).

Yes yes, oh bloody hell, yes! THIS! :D

(I'm fine if my 2012 laptop can't run the game anymore due to vastly more complex planetary geometry ;) )

But I can't see that expansion of instances _ever_ happening. Not without a realitme server in the background. That's not a pie in the sky, that's plain delusional if you ask me, unless they change their whole network architecture and refactor their pricing model. ;)

Oh, and competent game design wouldn't hurt either as "pie-in-the-sky" wish. :p

Widge

Just translating this into my own understanding.

This is going to a system and stuff happening to you, rather than going to a system and having to go to a location for something to happen to you?

I've paused on this game a bit while I wait for October update to hit, I also bought Horizons. When I get back into it, I'm hoping to find a nice groove. Sometimes this thread can be a bit disheartening as you generally read that all you end up doing is Sothis runs or going on unrewarding exploration journeys. Hoping there is a bit more for me rather than just that.

Beta 6 is released. Tons of minor tweaks and updates--sign 2.2 is releasing soon?

A post on reddit noted that a 100ly ship transfer is 1% of the ship's value.

2.2 is a huge improvement dropping out of cruise onto planets

Good to know, hopping back on PC today. Load times on X1 are still VERY noticeable.

Yes yes, oh bloody hell, yes! THIS! :D

(I'm fine if my 2012 laptop can't run the game anymore due to vastly more complex planetary geometry ;) )

But I can't see that expansion of instances _ever_ happening. Not without a realitme server in the background. That's not a pie in the sky, that's plain delusional if you ask me, unless they change their whole network architecture and refactor their pricing model. ;)

Oh, and competent game design wouldn't hurt either as "pie-in-the-sky" wish. :p

I knooooow--it would add so much to the game, though. I'd love more of a "seamless" feel. I don't know enough about networking to know whether or not it's possible.

As a side note, it still amuses me that the SC fans you butt heads with characterize you as an ED fanboy. You've always been one of the more critical members of ED GAF.

Just translating this into my own understanding.

This is going to a system and stuff happening to you, rather than going to a system and having to go to a location for something to happen to you?

I've paused on this game a bit while I wait for October update to hit, I also bought Horizons. When I get back into it, I'm hoping to find a nice groove. Sometimes this thread can be a bit disheartening as you generally read that all you end up doing is Sothis runs or going on unrewarding exploration journeys. Hoping there is a bit more for me rather than just that.

Currently, when you jump into a solar system, you're jumping into a series of instances. You jump into an instance. If you land on a planet, that's an instance. If you drop into a signal source, that's an instance. If you drop into a station, that's an instance, etc. Each with their associated load times, no matter how well hidden they are.

I'd love it if (again, way down the line) the instance "size" were expanded. So instead of having multiple instances within a solar system, the solar system itself would be the "instance".

Burny

As a side note, it still amuses me that the SC fans you butt heads with characterize you as an ED fanboy. You've always been one of the more critical members of ED GAF..

Oh I certainly was less critical at the beginning, that much I have to give them. ;) And people implying that Frontier lazily sits on their bums and don't get work done or ought to have had all the updates out in half the time it took them etc. still doesn't sit right with me :p

But yeah, Elite is about a 3/5 game for me and still about my favourite game right now that I don't get to play because of lack of time. :p And nerves to suffer through some of their game design or lack thereof for more than a couple of hours once in a while. ^^

DrBo42

I'd love it if (again, way down the line) the instance "size" were expanded. So instead of having multiple instances within a solar system, the solar system itself would be the "instance".
I don't think that's ever happening with their engine and network design.

Taking a break from Sothis to visit ol Apam Napat and see how I can help the GAF faction out. Python is versatile enough that I can be nice and armed and still haul ~100 tons. Also gonna keep an eye out for Fed rank missions--have a TON of XP with them but couldn't do any of the rank missions in my trade AspX.

I don't think that's ever happening with their engine and network design.

Tread carefully for you tread on my dreams :(

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
After that tense moment I had with the CG where I became a criminal and had to sneak into the station to hand in my bounty vouchers I decided that playing it outlaw / risky style is just much more fun and I wish that smuggling had a risk beyond "oh no I got fined".

So I think I'm gonna try and be a pirate even though I doubt it's a very profitable profession in game.

Still though I hope it's pretty fun.

After that tense moment I had with the CG where I became a criminal and had to sneak into the station to hand in my bounty vouchers I decided that playing it outlaw / risky style is just much more fun and I wish that smuggling had a risk beyond "oh no I got fined".

So I think I'm gonna try and be a pirate even though I doubt it's a very profitable profession in game.

Still though I hope it's pretty fun.

I tried it once, running around with cargo bay limpets and all, and the reward wasn't anywhere near the effort. It's kind of fun but you have to wander around looking for ships full of good stuff and even then you won't get all of it. Best I got was a clipper full of gold and I only ended getting a few tons it.

Posted this on the /r/elitedangerous subreddit but I figured I'd share it here. As I've been continuing on to the core I've noticed this really cool effect of the galactic gas and dust kind of spreading out like clouds at sunset.

orGjBgJ.png

Just every so often I'll supercruise off in a direction and hit my galaxy map to fiddle with a waypoint or something, then come back quite a few ls away from the local star. Everything just brightens up and looks pretty neato, imho.

Effect

Taking a break from Sothis to visit ol Apam Napat and see how I can help the GAF faction out. Python is versatile enough that I can be nice and armed and still haul ~100 tons. Also gonna keep an eye out for Fed rank missions--have a TON of XP with them but couldn't do any of the rank missions in my trade AspX.

Tread carefully for you tread on my dreams :(

Didn't realize there was a GAF system. I should take a trip out there one day.

I rebought my Python and got rid of my FAS again. I want a big ship but at the same time the cost to outfit one is insane and without grinding missions for hours or taking these long Sothis trips it doesn't seem worth it to me at times. After a few Sothis runs I did finally get get the parts I wanted for the Python A rated. Manage to engineer the FSD some so now with a empty cargo hold I can jump 22ly. That's a level 3 upgrade though so need items so I can put a level 4 upgrade on it to see how far I can go with that. It does fly better with these upgrades though.

I like flying the ship now compared to before. I still can't take on more then one ship at a time though. Perhaps when I can afford military grade armor instead of just some hull enforcements. Also whenever I encounter a group of eagles it's like missile city with them. So I'll likely stick with nav beacons for combat with the ship for now. I can handle High RES just fine but it takes so long to find npcs at times. The conflict zones other then low and the hazardous RES are a no go at this point. Not worth the rebuys.

Also is there a easier way of finding the locations in the Tip Off missions? If I could look at the map of the planet and try to mark the location that would be great but trying to figure out how to line things up lat/long wise before you drop out of orbital cruise is impossible for me. I remember doing it with the barnacles out at MAIA but I remember that being significantly easier. Perhaps it's a ship thing. I did that with a Cobra.

I do wish there was a way of making money when you're outside of the bubble and trying to explore. I'm ready to do that but idea of getting far out and then making the trip back only get destroyed before I reach a station concerns me. Are there absolutely no stations outside of the bubbles? Or can you possibly stumble across on in the middle of nowhere?

Volimar

I wonder if anyone has ever frameshifted to one of the impossible to get permit systems. Not the hyperspace jump, but the cruising speed we use inside systems. Load up with fuel tanks and mod for the most fuel efficient load out and give it a shot.

DrBo42

I wonder if anyone has ever frameshifted to one of the impossible to get permit systems. Not the hyperspace jump, but the cruising speed we use inside systems. Load up with fuel tanks and mod for the most fuel efficient load out and give it a shot.
Hyperspace jumps enable the instance/session change required to load the destination system. You can travel until you're 0 ly away from it but the system will never load. This was tried in the beta before we had access to Sol. Never going to happen.

Volimar

Hyperspace jumps enable the instance/session change required to load the destination system. You can travel until you're 0 ly away from it but the system will never load. This was tried in the beta before we had access to Sol. Never going to happen.

Aww. Feel bad for the poor folks that spent all the time trying.

Apparently LOD and textures were improved in Beta 6: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...o-the-Planet-Terrain-LOD-and-Surface-Textures

2.1:
a5EPZZ6.png

2.2 beta 4:
hmPtXH7.png

2.2 beta 6:
ME8n4wl.png

Not a perfect comparison, but looks like beta 6 is "sharper".

I'm flying around there still, so say hi if you see me!

PC or Xbox? What's your CMDR name? I'm switching back to PC soon.

PC: CMDR Anton Sugar
Xbox: CMDR Gareth Marenghi

Didn't realize there was a GAF system. I should take a trip out there one day.

Yup! We have our own faction there. They have low influence, I think I'm gonna spend some time running missions for them.

EDIT: There is also a poll for ship transfer costs: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...n-the-current-ship-transfer-costs-(2-2-Beta-6)

I never realized how closely it was tied/scaled to your ship cost/worth. Check Vulture vs Clipper for around the same distance.

It feels like the cost should be an algorithm that takes into account distance, your ship's jump range/# of jumps (it's not being towed after all, right?), and ship worth (simulating insurance cost, even though the ship isn't actually physically being moved in game).

E-flux

I hope that some point in the future i could play this game like Eurotruck simulator by buying an cargo srv and hauling shit between outposts and cities, i don't care that i could fly there faster but i want to drive on roads on far away planets.

So far the vette feels like a beefed up Anaconda with a much worse jump range. Really liking it.
A beefed up Anaconda? That's a new description. I believe it offers very slightly more damage. Pretty gud ship.

Apparently LOD and textures were improved in Beta 6: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...o-the-Planet-Terrain-LOD-and-Surface-Textures

Not a perfect comparison, but looks like beta 6 is "sharper".
Good. The better ground textures look...the better everyone will feel about where that aspect of the game is going.

Kthulhu

So I've been playing this game for almost a month now and I've almost got enough for a type 6. When should I jump into public? Do I need to worry about getting attacked?

E-flux

So I've been playing this game for almost a month now and I've almost got enough for a type 6. When should I jump into public? Do I need to worry about getting attacked?

You could have jumped online straight away, the galaxy is big enough that you can avoid players if you want to and most of the players are not hostile. If you trade around community goals, then sure you will most likely get ganked at some point since those hostile players seem to flock around community goals since that's the easiest place to find other players, but i wouldn't worry about playing online, half of the fun is stumbling on some other player on the remote parts of the bubble and seeing what they are up to.

Edit: I fly shieldless Diamondback explorer always online and i have yet been blown up by other players, though few have interdected me.

Kyoufu

I would stay off open play if you're looking to just haul shit from one system to another.

Just to be on the safe side.

joecanada

It's funny as hell because most of the time the rank up missions spawn on agents that you're not cordial with since you just started doing missions in that area.

So naturally your first 2 rank up missions are a significantly larger pain in the ass to get because you have not done enough missions for these factions.

I remember going insane when grinding fed rep because after doing a full lap i would finally find a guy with a federal navy mission only to find he wasn't offering it to me because we weren't bros. So I accept his missions to become bros and when I return he is no longer offering it. I just about lost my mind.

So when doing rep runs it's best to stick to 2 systems at most early on lmao.

well thanks to you good sir I'm now a midshipman 32%. got my tix to Sol and going to keep the grind up now lol.

Also what are the tip offs? just the story stuff you read about like the alien wreckage?

Volimar

well thanks to you good sir I'm now a midshipman 32%. got my tix to Sol and going to keep the grind up now lol.

Also what are the tip offs? just the story stuff you read about like the alien wreckage?

Tip offs are missions you get as an unwritten reward for missions you complete. They all require landing on a planet, getting in an SRV and scanning a crashed ship's data core. So you have to have Horizons to fulfill the mission. You turn in the data under the Contacts heading at a station for credits. I think the most I got for one was almost 2 million credits. There's usually some canisters to salvage around the wreck as well.

joecanada

Tip offs are missions you get as an unwritten reward for missions you complete. They all require landing on a planet, getting in an SRV and scanning a crashed ship's data core. So you have to have Horizons to fulfill the mission. You turn in the data under the Contacts heading at a station for credits. I think the most I got for one was almost 2 million credits. There's usually some canisters to salvage around the wreck as well.

ah so just for money then? I'm good lol. I do however want to try driving so maybe I'll take one of these just for fun........ when you buy the SRV bays you get the SRV included right? like the better bays have more SRVs???

DrBo42

ah so just for money then? I'm good lol. I do however want to try driving so maybe I'll take one of these just for fun........ when you buy the SRV bays you get the SRV included right? like the better bays have more SRVs???
You have to buy the SRVs for each slot the bay has. They aren't included. It's designed that way for when there are multiple models to choose from, like ship launched fighters in beta.

Volimar

So for Professor Palin I had to travel 5000 light years from the starting station. I've done that and in the engineer's progress bar it has it unlocked, but the box hasn't been checked and his location is still unknown...

What do?

Also, "Greetings from the
nearest
edge of the galaxy!"

Y'all see this video about the neutron jump range? https://youtu.be/eIEXtIZHGtU

Makes a good argument for how a higher range will only further deepen exploration. Most exploration is focused on exploring the horizontal plane of the galaxy but he was able to jump, through very meticulous planning, to the TOP of the galaxy. It is essentially a jump that leaves you for dead in the highest star they could reach.

Thinking in terms of gameplay: how cool would it be to have some goal (a strike at a thargoid base at the dfurthest expanse) that requires careful plotting of a route for an armada (combat ships, ships carrying fuel, etc.) to establish a far outpost or base to coordinate an attack or defense?

So for Professor Palin I had to travel 5000 light years from the starting station. I've done that and in the engineer's progress bar it has it unlocked, but the box hasn't been checked and his location is still unknown...

What do?

Also, "Greetings from the
nearest
edge of the galaxy!"

Log out and back in, normally fixes that.

49ly on my Anaconda :3

But is it fully kitted out for combat or is it a light exploration build?

Damn, my second day with E:D sucked. After buying an Adder I died for the first time in a LICZ and accidentally bought a Sidewinder! That respawn menu blows if you aren't familiar with it. Now I have 165k and a Sidewinder with an upgraded FSD for 11LY range. What do I do that's safe? Might as well save up the money for a Cobra, I'm not flying an Adder again. Thought it was a tank compared to the SW but it feels just as weak.

I noticed some weird shit (bugs?) in combat. I helped kill two wanted ship with the Adder but I noticed I wasn't getting any bounty credits. I don't know what killed me, either a Federal ship I friendly-fired or a wingman. How bad are low combat zones, do I get any assistance in combat or can anybody shoot me? The second weird thing was my second SW was shooting at a wanted Cobra and it was doing ZERO damage to the hull. I died from that, too.

Burny

Damn, my second day with E:D sucked. After buying an Adder I died for the first time in a LICZ and accidentally bought a Sidewinder! That respawn menu blows if you aren't familiar with it. Now I have 165k and a Sidewinder with an upgraded FSD for 11LY range. What do I do that's safe? Might as well save up the money for a Cobra, I'm not flying an Adder again. Thought it was a tank compared to the SW but it feels just as weak.
Adder has a lot more cargo space, so if you'r trying to trade, it trounces the sidewinder. Combat wise, you're better off with an Eagle, although that's more fragile than a Sidewinder. Or better yet, get a Viper! It goes to to toe with or beats the Cobra at combat and is a lot cheaper.

I noticed some weird shit (bugs?) in combat. I helped kill two wanted ship with the Adder but I noticed I wasn't getting any bounty credits. I don't know what killed me, either a Federal ship I friendly-fired or a wingman. How bad are low combat zones, do I get any assistance in combat or can anybody shoot me? The second weird thing was my second SW was shooting at a wanted Cobra and it was doing ZERO damage to the hull. I died from that, too.

That's hard to tell from the outside. You might've encountered actual bugs or just have had other issues. Were you playing in open? That leaves the potential for meeting cheaters, if the Cobra was player controlled and their hull didn't go down one bit. But "friendly firing" or even firing at wanted ships before you have completed the scan is punished disporportionally severely by Elite's game mechanics. You're essentially being murdered for even accidentally touching an unscanned and unwanted ship with your weapons, even if they just flew through your line of fire.

Adder has a lot more cargo space, so if you'r trying to trade, it trounces the sidewinder. Combat wise, you're better off with an Eagle, although that's more fragile than a Sidewinder. Or better yet, get a Viper! It goes to to toe with or beats the Cobra at combat and is a lot cheaper.
Seconding the Eagle suggestion. That has to be one of the most nimble, fun ships to fight with. The Viper's also great (and fuck me, it has one of the best engine sounds in the game) but you can definitely feel the added bulk of the ship in terms of agility coming from the Eagle.

I'm using an AspE these days and I find myself missing my Eagle a lot. Although I'm doing exploration at the moment, so I'm in the right ship at the moment.:D

StonedRider

Worked, thanks. Now I gotta find 25 unknown fragments. Wtf...

Go to Izanami A 4 a, coordinates -2.26, 145.13.
There is Anaconda crash site with unknown artifact. Shoot UA and it will break to unknown fragment or two. Collect, reload, repeat. It took 20 minutes for me to collect 25 unknown fragments there.

Volimar

There is Anaconda crash site with unknown artifact. Shoot UA and it will break to unknown fragment or two. Collect, reload, repeat. It took 20 minutes for me to collect 25 unknown fragments there.

Thanks for the tip. Still on my way back toward the bubble. Exploring is fun but the trip home....I almost wish I could just self destruct and keep my exploration data.

In the CZ you need to go to the right panel and look to "functions" there you'll see a "choose faction" option. Make sure to choose it to start getting combat bonds. Since you'll be in a lighter ship make sure to follow the radar and jump into advantageous situations where it's a small enemy ship vs a large friendly. Also try to stick with packs of friendly ships to keep the advantage.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Yeah you are probably gonna wanna stay away from conflict zones lol they are legitimately brutal without a wing to support you and even more so without an A rated ship. Even when it is possible to do them effectively you end up making more money in resource extraction site bounty hunting.

Also getting credit for a kill requires you to have done damage in the last like 15 seconds before a target dies, but if another player is shooting at it and you aren't in a wing with them then it goes to whoever got the killing blow. AI ships cannot kill steal.

I don't think you can get conflict zone vouchers if you don't select a faction to fight for in the last pane of your systems panel when you drop into the CZ by the way.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So it seems like Frontier is going to be doing something pretty awesome next week...

A forum poster, W4LD0, lost his grandfather a day ago, and made the following request after a heartfelt story:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/297055-Goodbye-Grandpa

The request I have, is to form a CG in memoriam to him. His name is Walter, and there happens to be a large starport in the Gyvatices system named Walter Dock, which just so happens to have fish and coffee in the market. I could not think of a more befitting way to remember him than to deliver or buy coffee and fish at that station. Please Frontier; I know it's a lot to ask, especially at this time with 2.2 coming out soon, but I humbly ask if you could do this. It would mean the world to me, because right now, I miss him.

Sincerely,

A very sad W4LD0

And this is what Frontier responded with:

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on here. We are saddened by the news of your loss.

Steve Kirby and the development team have been reading the thread and we are all touched by the incredible support from the community. After some discussion and planning the team felt it would be a fitting tribute to run the CG that you suggested.

The aim will be for it to go live next week and we'll get in touch with CMDR W4LDO directly to check the details. So get yourselves ready to commemorate a wonderful human being and salute Walter at Walter Dock next Thursday.

Thanks

That's really cool, looks like we'll have a new CG next week to transport fish and coffee to Walter Dock!

Volimar

^That's pretty nice.

No luck. It must have been instanced. I got another tip I might try later.

haveheart

Banned
I just got the Horizons DLC.

Now my DS4 controller doesn't work anymore. I can use it in the menu, works just fine. Ingame, however, only the options button works. Is this a known problem? Could it be InputMapper or driver problems?

Kyoufu

I just got the Horizons DLC.

Now my DS4 controller doesn't work anymore. I can use it in the menu, works just fine. Ingame, however, only the options button works. Is this a known problem? Could it be InputMapper or driver problems?

When I bought Horizons my controls were reset, so I had to redo all the button mappings again.

StonedRider

^That's pretty nice.

No luck. It must have been instanced. I got another tip I might try later.

Do you play solo? I think, unknown artifact spawns in open or private group modes only. Another problem may be that UA rolls down towards bottom of the hill (or was it crater?) while you look for it if it did not stuck near spawning point.

Volimar

Do you play solo? I think, unknown artifact spawns in open or private group modes only. Another problem may be that UA rolls down towards bottom of the hill (or was it crater?) while you look for it if it did not stuck near spawning point.

Well I found a reddit post about unknown signal sources in places like Aries Dark Region GW-W D1-52. Anomaly (threat 4) USS have unknown artifacts. It took a while but I collected enough. Cheers!

Top Bottom