• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So does the keelback just have ridiculous heat management or something?

Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. The Keelback fuel scoops so cool that it almost feels like a DBE. I can be scooping at full flow and engage the FSD to charge up and the thing never really overheats. The ship sure is a charismatic little beast, that’s for sure. So many little features and quirks, it’s gone from “the ship I’ve never flown” to “one of my favorite ships in the game” in all of two days, lol.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. The Keelback fuel scoops so cool that it almost feels like a DBE. I can be scooping at full flow and engage the FSD to charge up and the thing never really overheats. The ship sure is a charismatic little beast, that’s for sure. So many little features and quirks, it’s gone from “the ship I’ve never flown” to “one of my favorite ships in the game” in all of two days, lol.

Yeah same, it's like a mix between a cobra mk4 and an aspX. It's low cost it can do long distance travel well, fit decent amounts of cargo, have first class passenger cabins and hold its own in combat fairly well - especially with a fighter bay. Also that engine boost sound is incredible.

Haha duuuudes, I am LOVING the lil Keelback. Having a fighter bay makes it so damned versatile.

It opens up the game, too. You have a ship that can haul, mine, transport passengers, but it is also combat capable thanks to the solid defenses and the SLF.

EDIT: Haha, beaten. And yeah, that damned boost sound!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The game really doesn't respect people's time, but you do get use to it after a while and learn how to manage your time to work with the time sinks involved.

My initial impressions from the night before about missions was totally wrong. They really improved things on that front. Not perfect by any means, but once I ranked up with the local faction I had tons of missions to choose from. Far more important than that though was the fact that, on these various bounty missions at least, when I actually went to the designated systems I didn't have a hard time finding my targets. Be they just random faction ships or specific targets. I remember last I played I would sometimes spend close to 30 minutes or an hour in some terrible cases cruising around scanning every ship, jumping in and out of random signals, before I actually found my targets.

I'm still rusty as fuck and have lost like 3 million in insurance do to trying to take on bigger fish than I'm apparently able to, but I use to be able to. I just don't feel at all nimble in my Vulture despite being fully kitted out and it being a Vulture. Constantly getting out turned and maneuvered by just about every other ship I take on. I've definitely gotten a little bit back into the swing of things, but still feel like a total shit pilot.

I kind of want to ditch the Vulture, but with barely 4 million in the bank I'm a long ways off from getting a Python, FDL or even an FAS and I don't think I want to go back to a Viper MkIV or Cobra MkIV.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah same, it's like a mix between a cobra mk4 and an aspX…. Also that engine boost sound is incredible.

And yeah, that damned boost sound!

I know!!!! From the minute I left Jameson Memorial and hit my boost button I was like “Holy Shit, what was THAT???!!!!”, and then this huge smile filled my face as I realized that it always does that. And with a 3A distributor the Keelback can boost around constantly, it’s fantastic. It’s not really a “fast” ship but it feels more nimble than it should thanks to boost always being available.

And that sound, LOL. I wish I could install that thing in my Asp!

I’ve got 4A shields with an A booster and turreted pulse lasers all around, and she holds her own pretty good in a fight. The Keelback is a fun & charismatic little ship, no doubt.

Oh man, the community... Was clicking the thread in Obsidians newest video about the ruins and god damn. They blame FD for them to reveal the stars in the trailer so the position of the ancient ruins had been found already... Those guys.

Karak

That shouldn't be happening, did you get any warnings from the station? They usually just fine you when you break the rules or dick around in the wrong places.

I can't seem to find a place where i can outfit my diamondback explorer with a few cabins, is it just not possible or am i just not in the right places?
If for some reason my diamondback can't even hold a single cabin Frontier really needs to get slapped. Hell, i don't understand why type 7 can't hold a fighter bay i was excited to put one into it and i lack the money for type 9 and dislike flying the keelback.

No I called in for the ok. Which they then give and then flew in. The MOMENT I touch down everyone in the entire station kills me. FYI this is the very first station you land at as well.

joecanada

Was there another update or steam ? I came home today and elite says update again 1h . After I already updated yesterday and played

zorbsie

Love having a fighter stowed in my Anaconda. Got interdicted and set the fighter free. We messed that pirate up! I think I won't be avoiding the interdiction from now on.

The only time my fighter failed me so far is when we went against another Keel and its Imp fighter. Couldn't bring that things shields down in time! Recharged so fast.

Agremont

Ships rated in range goes like this

Anaconda > Asp Explorer > DBE >> hauler >>>>>> everything else.

A properly outfitted and modded ship can travel about 3000lys/hr or even a bit better with some discipline. I can get out to Jaques in about 7 hours in my Asp, and that's 22,000 lys.

I take it that's without any scanning?

joecanada

Wait so these crew members want 12% of my total profits? Haha I don't think so maybe later when cruising around but not while I'm actively working. Pulled in 43 millions tonight, 0% is being shared by this cmdr

On a more serious note, how does this work ?

Do you activate them or are they always with you ?

Do they always get a share of profit?

Can they die ?

DrBo42

Wait so these crew members want 12% of my total profits? Haha I don't think so maybe later when cruising around but not while I'm actively working. Pulled in 43 millions tonight, 0% is being shared by this cmdr

On a more serious note, how does this work ?

Do you activate them or are they always with you ?

Do they always get a share of profit?

Can they die ?

Only one can be in active slot, not sure if they all share profit once hired or just the pilot in active slot. I'd imagine they always share profit regardless.

They can die. If your main ship blows up, so do your hires.

SmartBase

Launch a fresh fighter and out it pops with no shields and no hull. Also, telepresence my arse.

screenshot_00955tsxt.jpg

E-flux

No I called in for the ok. Which they then give and then flew in. The MOMENT I touch down everyone in the entire station kills me. FYI this is the very first station you land at as well.

Sadly that seems to be a new bug that came out with the new patch.. Hopefully they will fix it as soon as possible since i really don't want to get blown up.

asp explorer and vulture ship kits are available now. nice.

https://www.frontierstore.net/game-...s-game-extras/vulture-ship-kit-16-pieces.html
https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/asp-ship-kit-12-pieces.html

bu but where is the python kit. that's the one I'm waiting for, heh.

Launch a fresh fighter and out it pops with no shields and no hull. Also, telepresence my arse.

screenshot_00955tsxt.jpg
teleportpresence

edit: the telepresence piloting is supposed to take place from the fighter hangar somewhere I think, since there are ships with only one seat, like the keelback that also supports it. there's probably an afterburner arcade cabinet in there for it hehe. there's still also only one person on bridge even if you've got a crew member controlling the mothership.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well that was nice. Got duplicated 1.8 million missions to massacre just 18 faction forces last night. Was able to go a low conflict zone and just rip apart some Eagles, Vipers and Asps in about 20 minutes.

Also got two assassination missions for a few 100k each and both were cruising around in Eagles as well. The biggest issue was having to wait close to an hour for the window of opportunity for either target.

Sightseeing missions are bugged. They don't show the correct mission location after the first one - if you're doing a multilocation sightseeing tour.

You can still complete them. You just have to visit each planet in the system until you find the visitor beacon.

Bit of a pain. Managed to finish a four part sightseeing tour just now and earn 5million. Would have been quicker without the bugs.

I think I'll leave those kind of passenger missions alone until this issue is fixed. Seen plenty of reports from other people of it so hopefully a fix won't be too long.

SmartBase

Sightseeing missions are bugged. They don't show the correct mission location after the first one - if you're doing a multilocation sightseeing tour.

You can still complete them. You just have to visit each planet in the system until you find the visitor beacon.

Bit of a pain. Managed to finish a four part sightseeing tour just now and earn 5million. Would have been quicker without the bugs.

I think I'll leave those kind of passenger missions alone until this issue is fixed. Seen plenty of reports from other people of it so hopefully a fix won't be too long.

You can see the tourist beacon after using a discovery scanner, getting within 1000 ls or scanning a nav beacon, much quicker than going planet to planet. I think the transactions tab still shows the correct destination, it's probably better to ignore any messages you get.

Asp kit = lipstick on a pig. lol

Vulture kit is sick.

But damn...I never fly my Vulture (like ever) and I haven't bothered to mod it yet. What do.

Shit I need an FdL and a Courier kit. Fed ships need kits the most tho. Faces only a mother could love.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I could never in good conscious ever buy any of those kits or paint jobs even if some of them look pretty cool.

You can see the tourist beacon after using a discovery scanner, getting within 1000 ls or scanning a nav beacon, much quicker than going planet to planet. I think the transactions tab still shows the correct destination, it's probably better to ignore any messages you get.

Transaction doesn't update with the correct body after the first one. The system changes but not the body.

Also the scanner didn't work on my last mission. But when I logged out and then back in the beacon appeared.

Asp kit = lipstick on a pig. lol

Vulture kit is sick.

But damn...I never fly my Vulture (like ever) and I haven't bothered to mod it yet. What do.

Shit I need an FdL and a Courier kit. Fed ships need kits the most tho. Faces only a mother could love.

This is why I'm so happy we finally have ship transfers (and now at a reasonable cost!). Buying+outfitting because you're switching from trading to combat was so damned tedious. If I can plan ahead and just have to wait a little for my ship, I'd rather do that and continue trading/hauling, then switch over to my Vulture and head to a CZ.

Like I said before, having a Keelback with an SLF makes it extremely versatile, but I don't think I'd ever take it into a CZ. Vulture still has a special place in my heart <3

SmartBase

Only your ship casts shadows in stations, immersion ruined forever.

Transaction doesn't update with the correct body after the first one. The system changes but not the body.

Also the scanner didn't work on my last mission. But when I logged out and then back in the beacon appeared.

Good to know, I thought the mission I took seemed fine but I probably won't be accepting any more until they fix it.

This is why I'm so happy we finally have ship transfers (and now at a reasonable cost!). Buying+outfitting because you're switching from trading to combat was so damned tedious. If I can plan ahead and just have to wait a little for my ship, I'd rather do that and continue trading/hauling, then switch over to my Vulture and head to a CZ.

Like I said before, having a Keelback with an SLF makes it extremely versatile, but I don't think I'd ever take it into a CZ. Vulture still has a special place in my heart <3

Oh agreed. I've been modding grade 5 pulse lasers for the last 2 days. I just mod them, and drop them into storage. I'll transfer them when i get back to my other ships, ez.

Unfortunately, this means I'll have to think about what I'd want to mod for Vulture weapons. I'm thinking Grade 5 OC PA and Grade 5 OC Scramble Pulse? sounds awesome on paper but idk.

fred

I got my Rift 6 days ago and have been blown away by how awesome the game is in VR. It was GREAT playing the game on my 50" telly but in VR it's a whole other level.

And to celebrate this great event I decided to start off with a new Commander and go back to 1000 credits and the good old trusty Sidey. I miss my Vulture already lol

If anyone is on the fence about getting a Rift then I can honestly say that Elite Dangerous in VR is worth getting one for alone. It's jaw dropping!!! You really get to appreciate the HUGE scale of everything.

SmartBase

Just taking a dump.

IMMERSION

Dat deep lore.

I got my Rift 6 days ago and have been blown away by how awesome the game is in VR. It was GREAT playing the game on my 50" telly but in VR it's a whole other level.

And to celebrate this great event I decided to start off with a new Commander and go back to 1000 credits and the good old trusty Sidey. I miss my Vulture already lol

If anyone is on the fence about getting a Rift then I can honestly say that Elite Dangerous in VR is worth getting one for alone. It's jaw dropping!!! You really get to appreciate the HUGE scale of everything.

I've been avoiding VR because of the shit resolution and the ridiculous shipping times, but now that the Vive's available locally and because of comments like this I'm finding it a bit hard to hold off until the second gen of VR units. Damn.

DodgerSan

A plea for help.

Can anyone explain, in simple English, how the heck to find a specific set of co-ordinates on a planet? I'm trying to check out the ruins, but I cannot get the co-ordinates to line up. I've attempted to follow some YouTube guides, but the heading indicator keeps flipping by itself, and I can't get any where near the right spot.

Any help gratefully received!

You need a DP --> HDMI converter to get rid of the awful Rift banding. Or, reduce it some. Colors look far better in the Vive for whatever reason. They remain a bit washed out in the Rift. There's also a bit of warping that becomes a bit more prominent when in stations looking at menus and some depth/wobble issues related to the single camera approach they took. Other than that it's pretty great.

A plea for help.

Can anyone explain, in simple English, how the heck to find a specific set of co-ordinates on a planet? I'm trying to check out the ruins, but I cannot get the co-ordinates to line up. I've attempted to follow some YouTube guides, but the heading indicator keeps flipping by itself, and I can't get any where near the right spot.

Any help gratefully received!

I'm sure there's probably a better way but i just use the compass, latitude and longitude. I get relatively close to the cooridnates while in orbit, then drop into the planet and work my way to where i need to be using the latitude, then the longitude. it takes awhile but it works for me.

bqdf8907f8ux.gif

I'm sure there's probably a better way but i just use the compass, latitude and longitude. I get relatively close to the cooridnates while in orbit, then drop into the planet and work my way to where i need to be using the latitude, then the longitude. it takes awhile but it works for me.

Yup, pretty much. Face direct north/south, find your latitude, then face west/east, find your longitude.

Karak

Sadly that seems to be a new bug that came out with the new patch.. Hopefully they will fix it as soon as possible since i really don't want to get blown up.

Ah I see thanks. I uninstalled for now...thats a pretty...game ended bug lol

DodgerSan

bqdf8907f8ux.gif

Yup, pretty much. Face direct north/south, find your latitude, then face west/east, find your longitude.

Yes but how?

I get a bearing, the lat/long starts heDing in the right direction, then the compass does a 360 flip and I'm heading the wrong direction. I've tried so many combinations now but I can't get anywhere near.

And yes I know I'm an idiot.

Yes but how?

I get a bearing, the lat/long starts heDing in the right direction, then the compass does a 360 flip and I'm heading the wrong direction. I've tried so many combinations now but I can't get anywhere near.

And yes I know I'm an idiot.

Basically:

1.) Use yaw to single out one of the 2 (either latitude or longitude; let's say latitude for this discussion) and move towards the general area. Basically, you want to move your yaw until ONLY latitude is moving up or down. Go at the slowest speed.

2.) Now adjust said yaw to make sure the longitude meter is going in the correct direction as well. Yawing left or right of latitude center should send you heading in the right direction for both latitude and longitude.

3.) If you find you have farther to go in one than the other, adjust yaw accordingly.

4.) Drop down out of orbit somewhere near the coordinates.

5.) Drop to 0 speed and use the compass to understand what direction you're facing. Point in the direction that adjusts only latitude (longitude measurement should remain fixed) and accelerate until you reach the target latitude.

6.) Drop to 0 speed and use the compass to turn 90 degrees so that only longitude is moving and latitude is now fixed...and accelerate. If you're longitude is going the wrong way, flip the ship 180 degrees and accelerate.

7.)
Arrive at your destination sooner or later. Sooner if you didn't drift super far away from the destination when exiting orbit.

I'm not sure I can explain it any simpler. It just takes time. Use the compass properly to determine if you are perfectly aligned to east/west or north/south to make latitude and longitude easier to manage and try to drop near the general destination.

Top Bottom