• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

Did a fairly straightforward sightseeing mission for 900,000 credits. Not bad. But man it looks like almost all other mission types got nerfed hard.

All the crew member options are ugly...

I bought and fired a few before I rolled a crew member I could look at.

Fav interior so far.

highresscreenshot_201wckyp.jpg

highresscreenshot_201v5knv.jpg

highresscreenshot_201z0jdi.jpg

highresscreenshot_201w2k4c.jpg

highresscreenshot_201lqk13.jpg

highresscreenshot_2011njd4.jpg

SmartBase

So umm...the GAF faction has fuck all missions in Apam Napat but offers plenty of passenger runs. Do I just outfit passenger cabins on my Cutter, or go a bit more crazy and buy an Orca or Beluga? While I'm at it, do some of the more long-range missions to nebulae and the like increase exploration or trade rank when you get paid?

This was a mistake. Sometimes I feel like I’m never going to make it, plus I still have to go back. I really should have waited until 2.2, that way I could at least got an extra 40 mil for the trip. On the bright side I saw my first neutron star. There were actually two of them in in the same system. The first one was already discovered; however the second one was +350k ls away and was undiscovered. So I took the extra 15 minutes to go scan it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I did eventually get into the game last night after updating for a few hours. I didn’t get to try any passenger stuff yet, but I did buy my first Keelback ever and outfit it with a fighter bay to check them out. And woah, fighters are fun to fly around in! I haven’t actually tried one in combat yet but I spent far too much time just flying around (and in and out of) Jameson Orbital like a banshee demon. I only hit things a few times. I didn’t even hire any crew, but I like how your ship can be set to auto follow you, that’s nice. I then went down to a moon in Shinrarta Dezra that has water geysers and spent almost two hours buzzing about the surface in the fighter looking for water jets. I never did find any, even after checking out countless canyons, ravines, and craters. Finding these new geysers seems terribly rare, I was hoping they’d be a bit more common honestly. Currently it seems to just be blind luck if you find them or not.

Fighters are fun for surface exploration though, it’s nice how your main ship auto follows you around at a higher altitude while you can buzz around at high speed down in craters and ravines. I just might be trading up to an Anaconda finally for exploration simply so that I can carry a fighter with me for canyon buzzing!

Oh and the Keelback, I surprisingly kind of like that ship. I love that boost horn that it has, what a great sound! And now that it can carry a fighter it’s surprisingly fun to run around with for exploring and such. I think I’ll keep it and mod the hell out of it with a lvl 5 FSD mod, dirty drives for speed, lightweight mounts, etc. I might make it my new surface salvage missioner instead of my T6.

I love the route plotter options too, no more hitting a bunch of unscoopable stars anymore while route plotting, WOOT! And it does plot faster too, I’m eager to head for Jaques just to see how much faster it is around the core, hopefully it truly is fixed finally.

Tonight I’ll try a few passenger missions to check them out.

Reckheim

So I did eventually get into the game last night after updating for a few hours. I didn’t get to try any passenger stuff yet, but I did buy my first Keelback ever and outfit it with a fighter bay to check them out. And woah, fighters are fun to fly around in! I haven’t actually tried one in combat yet but I spent far too much time just flying around (and in and out of) Jameson Orbital like a banshee demon. I only hit things a few times. I didn’t even hire any crew, but I like how your ship can be set to auto follow you, that’s nice. I then went down to a moon in Shinrarta Dezra that has water geysers and spent almost two hours buzzing about the surface in the fighter looking for water jets. I never did find any, even after checking out countless canyons, ravines, and craters. Finding these new geysers seems terribly rare, I was hoping they’d be a bit more common honestly. Currently it seems to just be blind luck if you find them or not.

Fighters are fun for surface exploration though, it’s nice how your main ship auto follows you around at a higher altitude while you can buzz around at high speed down in craters and ravines. I just might be trading up to an Anaconda finally for exploration simply so that I can carry a fighter with me for canyon buzzing!

Oh and the Keelback, I surprisingly kind of like that ship. I love that boost horn that it has, what a great sound! And now that it can carry a fighter it’s surprisingly fun to run around with for exploring and such. I think I’ll keep it and mod the hell out of it with a lvl 5 FSD mod, dirty drives for speed, lightweight mounts, etc. I might make it my new surface salvage missioner instead of my T6.

I love the route plotter options too, no more hitting a bunch of unscoopable stars anymore while route plotting, WOOT! And it does plot faster too, I’m eager to head for Jaques just to see how much faster it is around the core, hopefully it truly is fixed finally.

Tonight I’ll try a few passenger missions to check them out.

Don't be crazy, nothing beats that ASP cockpit view. Definitely can't wait to get back to the bubble to try this stuff out.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Don't be crazy, nothing beats that ASP cockpit view. Definitely can't wait to get back to the bubble to try this stuff out.

Now now, the Asp might have a great cockpit but we all know that the Courier has the best looking cockpit.

So what new ships can I buy with just short of 40 million? I wanna check out some of the new ships but I'm not feeling the grind to buy a Beluga.

Depends on what you are looking for / currently flying. You can buy an Asp Explorer and fit it for passenger missions for under 20m. You could get a full combat vulture for about 22m, you can do a type 7 trader for about 30m I think it's even capable of fitting ship launched fighters. edit just looked it up, i don't think it can.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm am so rusty at dog fighting it hurts. Federal Dropship ate my ass and I would have possibly gotten away before biting it, but some error in loading assets fucked me and the game kept running but I had no image. Lost 500k in bounties.

Second time around I was doing much better with another Dropship, but some other hostile ship cut into our match and wrecked my shields and I was taking heavy damage and had to high tale it out of there with nothing to show.

I think I'm going to spend a lot of time this week/end getting comfortable with FA Off and getting back to good natural thruster control that I use to have. I started to practice FA Off way back when 2.1 hit but I dropped off from the game due to other stuff coming out.

I also need to find a good setup for my HOTAS, especially my Throttle, as it's not exactly locked into place on my desk or in that comfortable a setup and I need to go back to Full Range rather than Forward only. Unfortunately my CH Throttle isn't very good for that though sadly, it rocks in every other aspect though.

Now now, the Asp might have a great cockpit but we all know that the Courier has the best looking cockpit.

Depends on what you are looking for / currently flying. You can buy an Asp Explorer and fit it for passenger missions for under 20m. You could get a full combat vulture for about 22m, you can do a type 7 trader for about 30m I think it's even capable of fitting ship launched fighters. edit just looked it up, i don't think it can.

Already had all those ships unfortunately. Guess I should probably hop in my cobra and see if there's something I can afford inside the bubble. Speaking of which, it feels weird being inside the bubble of civilization again. I keep thinking everything behind me wants to kill me.

Hey guys, I hope this isn't considered "port begging," but has there been any updates recently on the PS4 version? Is it still even happening?

Just wondering because I am enjoying PSVR and would love to experience this game through a HMD.

Hey guys, I hope this isn't considered "port begging," but has there been any updates recently on the PS4 version? Is it still even happening?

Just wondering because I am enjoying PSVR and would love to experience this game through a HMD.

not sure they'd be able to do a reasonable framerate on ps4 for vr, even with ps4 pro.

a ps4 port is coming though.

This was a mistake. Sometimes I feel like I’m never going to make it, plus I still have to go back. I really should have waited until 2.2, that way I could at least got an extra 40 mil for the trip. On the bright side I saw my first neutron star. There were actually two of them in in the same system. The first one was already discovered; however the second one was +350k ls away and was undiscovered. So I took the extra 15 minutes to go scan it.

Nice find!

I still have trouble finding a place to sell cabins..... unless the Asp can't take one?

Pretty sure ALL ships can take cabins--they added in small enough ones to fit a Sidewinder.

I'm enjoying it, too. Fun, versatile ship. Mine is set up for passenger transport, a lil cargo, a fighter bay, and mining right now, haha. And yeah, that boost sound!

How are you all liking 2.2 so far?

Have only had a day to play it, but I'm enjoying it. I think it's a bigger update, in terms of content, than 2.1 was.

Fighters are a lot of fun to fly and it's nice feeling like you have a crew. You actually have to kinda change the way you approach combat. They're so fragile it's easy to get destroyed if you try to fight the way you do in larger ships. Really need to focus on getting into and staying in blind spots more than ever--luckily, the ships are so maneuverable (stop/turn on a dime), it's not impossible.

Passenger missions aren't a game-changing feature but they add a little variety and provide another revenue source. There are many missions that reward hundreds of thousands of credits for just traveling a few systems away, and then the huge 30-50 million missions for trips to Jacques, Sag A, etc.

Haven't tried the new Engineers yet. All the small QoL stuff is much appreciated. Really love the new hyperspace transition.

keelback is great fun now. very nice.

really want those new ship kits though, what the hell happened to those. python, vulture, asp explorer, all must-have.

ah yeah good point...how is X1 performance compared to the PC version on a modern rig?

hehe. let's not compare xbone to pc here. it's around 30, and you get used to it, it works very well. it's almost impossible to play if you switch quickly between xbone and pc though.

Mengy

There is a bug in 2.2 were ALL delivery and cargo missions were nerfed across the entire bubble instead of just the Sothis / Ceos missions. A lot of people were worried it was a silent nerf and intentional, but Frontier has confirmed it’s a bug and it will be fixed shortly:

QA-Jonny said:
We are aware of this happening and it is being looked into.

That’s excellent news. Probably just a decimal point in the wrong place, heh.

joecanada

any official data on how missions have been nerfed? it sounds like the cap on payment dropped for high level missions........

kind of dumb the game is already a bit of a grind, but whatever.

also did they nerf instance switching? I heard a rumour that switching from private to open no longer results in different missions.

any official data on how missions have been nerfed? it sounds like the cap on payment dropped for high level missions........

kind of dumb the game is already a bit of a grind, but whatever.

also did they nerf instance switching? I heard a rumour that switching from private to open no longer results in different missions.

For Sothis, it looks like 100t haulage gets you ~2 million credits now. It's a pretty serious nerf and hope they swing back to a more balanced state.

Instance switching still works. Been stocking up on GAF missions in Apam Napat. There are some conflict zones there, btw--the GAF faction is at war.

The good thing is that, passenger missions pay pretty decently for low-mid level players. Certainly no replacement for Sothis, but it's basically a higher-paying cargo bay :)

all npc interdictors are getting fucking destroyed now. before the fighters I couldn't even be bothered to engage, mostly flying around without weapons at all. now it's a pleasure. keelback+taipan, goodbye vulture. love it.

just need the cargo mission payout to go back to normal, lol, this is old elite level of payout.

apam napat is where the gaf faction is? I've never been there, maybe I'll swing by and help with the war-- not saying for which side lol!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I only played for a couple hours last night for the first time in months and went to like 3 stations, but missions still seem completely not worth it.

At least combat ones. Between the time it takes to travel to and track down your target(s) and whatever risk you run based on local authorities or other hostiles you could probably have made far more just going to a high danger or hazardous resource extraction site and collected bounties that way.

Not to mention you need to grind a ton of nothing missions to get reputation with the various factions to even get access to most missions.

TheTrain

I only played for a couple hours last night for the first time in months and went to like 3 stations, but missions still seem completely not worth it.

At least combat ones. Between the time it takes to travel to and track down your target(s) and whatever risk you run based on local authorities or other hostiles you could probably have made far more just going to a high danger or hazardous resource extraction site and collected bounties that way.

Not to mention you need to grind a ton of nothing missions to get reputation with the various factions to even get access to most missions.

Take up the reputation with a local faction and tell me if they are not worth! I've done relatively simple mission worth milion of cred inside the Empire system
They are in a good shape now, a good change of pacing when you don't want to do the "classic" things

kennah

all npc interdictors are getting fucking destroyed now. before the fighters I couldn't even be bothered to engage, mostly flying around without weapons at all. now it's a pleasure. keelback+taipan, goodbye vulture. love it.

Yeaaah, didn't have long with it last night, but loving the Keelback with turrets and a fighter. Fits my playstyle way better. Will probably drop one missile rack for a mining laser.

Need something bigger to hold more cargo and a fuel scoop. In due time.

kennah

You guys mind sharing your fighter bay keelback load outs?

I really wanna give it a shot later.
Fighter
5 Cargo Bay
4C Shields
SRV Point
Docking Computer
Discovery Scanner

Hardpoints : 2 x seeking missiles, 2 x multigun turrets

+20% Shield Booster

and A Rated everything on the Core

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Take up the reputation with a local faction and tell me if they are not worth! I've done relatively simple mission worth milion of cred inside the Empire system
They are in a good shape now, a good change of pacing when you don't want to do the "classic" things

Yeah I'll try it tonight and spend some time working my current location.

Currently in a good system, Pera I think, with some conflict zones and multitude of resource extraction sites I can troll. So I'll try working some real missions for them. I think I'm friendly with the ruling faction at this point from the bounties I did pickup on my own. Just at the moment most missions are at best were like 10-20k but they'd take 30+ minutes complete, while in the same time I could make 10x that easily at a resource site.

I just remember in 2.1 spending a shit ton of time in one cluster working missions and trying to increase my faction rank and still making peanuts.

just need the cargo mission payout to go back to normal, lol, this is old elite level of payout.

apam napat is where the gaf faction is? I've never been there, maybe I'll swing by and help with the war-- not saying for which side lol!

Yeah, interdictions are actually kinda fun now, hahaha. Although I noticed they're also much easier to escape and I'm not the only one.

Yup, Apam Napat is our home. We're small and without much influence, but I'm focusing on changing that--hopefully.

GAF faction's not offering any more missions of any kind even though there's a war going on, how annoying.

Hmmm, I was stocking UP on their missions yesterday. Used instance switching and also didn't just stick to Majida. I think it was Fan Platform that I found a lot of missions at, too.

I THINK this is mine:

5 Fighter Bay
5 Cargo Bay
4 Business Class Passenger Cabin
3 Shield Generator
2 Fuel Scoop
2 Refinery <--may have just swapped this out for something else, switched from my mining build

1 Chaff
2x Point Defence

2x Medium Multicanonns
2x Small Beam Lasers

For Core, I'm pretty sure Thrusters, Sensors, Life Support, and a few others are D rated. Power Plant and FSD are A rated, I think.

SmartBase

Yeah, interdictions are actually kinda fun now, hahaha. Although I noticed they're also much easier to escape and I'm not the only one.

Yup, Apam Napat is our home. We're small and without much influence, but I'm focusing on changing that--hopefully.

Hmmm, I was stocking UP on their missions yesterday. Used instance switching and also didn't just stick to Majida. I think it was Fan Platform that I found a lot of missions at, too.

I THINK this is mine:

5 Fighter Bay
5 Cargo Bay
4 Business Class Passenger Cabin
3 Shield Generator
2 Fuel Scoop
2 Refinery <--may have just swapped this out for something else, switched from my mining build

1 Chaff
2x Point Defence

2x Medium Multicanonns
2x Small Beam Lasers

For Core, I'm pretty sure Thrusters, Sensors, Life Support, and a few others are D rated. Power Plant and FSD are A rated, I think.

I only ever dock at Majida because it has the only large pads in the system
and because the flight control is hilariously polite.

joecanada

For Sothis, it looks like 100t haulage gets you ~2 million credits now. It's a pretty serious nerf and hope they swing back to a more balanced state.

Instance switching still works. Been stocking up on GAF missions in Apam Napat. There are some conflict zones there, btw--the GAF faction is at war.

The good thing is that, passenger missions pay pretty decently for low-mid level players. Certainly no replacement for Sothis, but it's basically a higher-paying cargo bay :)

ok thanks. I think my skimmer missions will still be profitable, some were up to 3.7 million each, but even at 2 million it should be able to net 15-30 million every few hours same as any stackable mission type. I have 700 million now and my goal was to rest at 1B but depending how hard it is I think 700 mil should be good to just play "normally" and build money from bounties and other activities.

keep sending updates for the GAF system, if we need extra bodies there I will bring my B rated Conda. will outfit with fighters tonight as well.

Forgive if already asked and answered: log in to the game this morning on Xbox one, didn't see any prompt for updates. Where do I find the update or is it occurring automatically??

WOAH, flew by the LAWD system with its neutron star and wow this is amazing in VR!

Upgraded my Beluga with engineered FSD and now I'm sitting at 31LY jump range. Yay! I guess that settles it and I sell my Anaconda. I'll keep the FSD though.

I really love the Beluga and I think I get a hang on getting it through the letterbox :D I only get stuck every two times :D

I only ever dock at Majida because it has the only large pads in the system
and because the flight control is hilariously polite.

Oooooh yeah. Buy a Sidewinder to dick around in, moneybags.

ok thanks. I think my skimmer missions will still be profitable, some were up to 3.7 million each, but even at 2 million it should be able to net 15-30 million every few hours same as any stackable mission type. I have 700 million now and my goal was to rest at 1B but depending how hard it is I think 700 mil should be good to just play "normally" and build money from bounties and other activities.

keep sending updates for the GAF system, if we need extra bodies there I will bring my B rated Conda. will outfit with fighters tonight as well.

You talking about something like this?

What's the GAF system? I'll fight for GAF with my FAS

Apam Napat.

Forgive if already asked and answered: log in to the game this morning on Xbox one, didn't see any prompt for updates. Where do I find the update or is it occurring automatically??

Mine downloaded it automatically.

Mengy

This is how I set mine up last night:

Keelback Salvager

I can use it for a mixture of exploring and surface salvage missions, does a good job too. I used to use my T6 for this but not anymore, the Keelback is damn fun! If I could get her up to 40+ lys range I'd take it into deep space.

And yes, it does sound like they finally did something about the interdiction minigame difficulty, WOOT!!!! From the patch notes:

• Rework how NPCs score their behaviour for interdictions to be less 'binary'
  • Rebalanced interdiction difficulty based on AI pilot skill

I'm gonna get interdicted on purpose tonight to try it out.

joecanada

Oooooh yeah. Buy a Sidewinder to dick around in, moneybags.

You talking about something like this?

yup but there's other places you can do this, see my previous posts. any system with low security close to suns is good for cash. and keeping in mind its the faction that matters not the actual location (so destroying skimmers of a certain faction in a low security site will count against those same skimmers in high security sites).

Reckheim

Another nice addition to exploration is that now when you first get to the star you are facing the direction your next jump will be. Much easier to scoop as you always know how to orient your self.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So is it better to have the best possible type of cabin on your ship in all slots? Or a wide variety of cabin types?

Like should i only get first class cabins? Or should I also get some economy class ones?

Top Bottom