• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Yeah, reddit is saying you can earn a cool ~25m an hour (specifically, in a Python) doing the right passenger missions with the right factions.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I thought only Belugas could do passenger missions. What other ships can?

The Beluga and the Orca are the only ships which can fit luxury cabins, but any ship can fit the other type of cabins: first class, business, and economy. Even a Hauler can be turned into a little space taxi!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I haven't fucked with the Engineers at all, hell I barely understand how they work. How annoying/hard is it to find and gain access to them?

The Beluga and the Orca are the only ships which can fit luxury cabins, but any ship can fit the other type of cabins: first class, business, and economy. Even a Hauler can be turned into a little space taxi!

Who would even want to travel around in a hauler?!? #Immersion

E-flux

Any of them. Passenger modules will fit in any ship.

Where can you get passanger modules? I have searched way too many stations and i haven't been able to fit my diamondback explorer with them, i even went to the trailer station where he outfitted the ship with cabins and i couldn't find them.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Where can you get passanger modules? I have searched way too many stations and i haven't been able to fit my diamondback explorer with them, i even went to the trailer station where he outfitted the ship with cabins and i couldn't find them.

Oddly enough i have found passengers cabins at almost every single high tech system, they're almost as ubiquitous as cargo racks.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

https://eddb.io/station

Use this. Very helpful.

Just put in the module you want to buy, so a 3D or 4C rated passenger module. Then put in whatever system you are currently in as the Reference System and they'll tell you the closest station/system that has what you are looking for.

Edit: Hmm looking at their trade loop function I wonder if it would be more lucrative to dump 23 million on a stripped out Type-7 with 228 tons of cargo and do a simple 1-2 RT trade route. It looks like just from Cubeo I have several options for a ~700k run. Two jumps probably wouldn't take me more than 10 minutes a piece which means I'm looking at around 3.5 to 4.2 million an hour. I could eventually build up to then getting a Python and trying to make that 25 million an hour on passengers.

Mengy

Hah, the latest GalNet news tidbit released today is awesome!

GalNet said:
Following the discovery of ancient ruins on planet 1 B of Synuefe XR-H d11-102, hundreds of independent pilots have plotted a course to the system. Many scientifically-minded Commanders have begun the painstaking task of deciphering the secrets of the ruins.

Unfortunately, the cataloguing and excavation has been disrupted by piracy, profiteers and general pandemonium.

Jeremy Grant, an archaeologist who has been working at the site for several days, expressed concern at the prevailing conditions:

"It's not safe out here. The ruins have been significantly damaged by SRV racing. Priceless artefacts have been shattered and weapons fire has scarred several obelisks, destroying markings."

"Independent pilots have made a lot of noise about the Empire and Federation cordoning off major research sites, but if this is an indication of how independents treat sites of value, perhaps the superpowers are doing the right thing."

Commander Corrigendum

That last dig at us lowly commanders practicing amateur archaeology is priceless! Gave me a good laugh.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How on earth is a Type 7 larger than a Python, yet has 60 tons less cargo space and cannot land on Medium landing pads?

Really looking at a lot of ships the tonnage doesn't really make sense.

maybe they're bad at stacking vertically inside it, or the cargo boxes don't fit properly inside it. hehe. type7 is only 'large' because it's too tall for the medium hangars lol. maybe we'll get a shenmue style forklift simulator for stacking cargo when we get to walk around, only able to fully utilise the volume if you fill it up manually :O~ I'd play this minigame

I am not sure what they use to determine cargo capacity, esp given that they have revised cargo capacities for some ships. I anticipate that, once we can walk around ships and actually see cargo storage and all that, some ships may need revisions.

Or it's just a part of the universe that some ship manufacturers are just poor designers compared to others! Happens in real life.

DrBo42

maybe they're bad at stacking vertically inside it, or the cargo boxes don't fit properly inside it. hehe. type7 is only 'large' because it's too tall for the medium hangars lol. maybe we'll get a shenmue style forklift simulator for stacking cargo when we get to walk around, only able to fully utilise the volume if you fill it up manually :O~ I'd play this minigame

Please no. Don't give FD any ideas. Okay now you have to sign your release forms for hauling hazardous materials. Sign here, initial here and here, and here, and here, and here.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
2S3rn3A.jpg

I wouldn't care so much if it didn't blow up my plans to do trade runs, because requiring a Large landing pad totally alters that plan and reduces my profit by like 40%. Also if the ships were at all comparable when side by side. Yes the Type 7 is much taller, so it makes sense it is considered Large, but how the hell do you lose 60 tons of cargo? I mean the Type 7 in that image looks like it should be able to hold at least 2x the Python.

Lakon must really suck ass at ship design, while Delacy must be goddamn geniuses.

Mengy

It's pretty simple, Frontier messed up when they determined the stats for some ships. After 2.2 the T7 can finally hold more cargo than a Python, but it's only like 10 more tons, not any significant amount. Losing medium pads though, that is a significant loss with the T7 compared to the Python.

IMHO, either the T7 should be able to land at medium pads or it needs an extra 100T cargo capacity, at a minimum. The way the ships sit now, no one will ever fly a T7 unless they just want to for looks or something.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So why is that certain ships show signs of wear and use when I've just purchased them? I've noticed this so far on the Asp Explorer and the Anaconda. There's crack on the right leg of the center console, and the Anaconda has chipped and peeling paint all throughout the cockpit area. Yet certain ships like those of the Imperial variety, are immaculate and pristine.

Are they not selling me brand new ships?

Volimar

Hah, the latest GalNet news tidbit released today is awesome!

That last dig at us lowly commanders practicing amateur archaeology is priceless! Gave me a good laugh.

To be fair, I drive so poorly in low G that if those ruins weren't (mostly) indestructable I'd have pretty much flattened them.

WHEEEEEEE

Burny

maybe we'll get a shenmue style forklift simulator for stacking cargo when we get to walk around, only able to fully utilise the volume if you fill it up manually :O~ I'd play this minigame

Whenever fans or players suggest Frontier to implement game designs or changes to it, that turn their already pretty incompetent game design from bad to worse, I imagine somewhere a puppy gets kicked. :p

Mengy

Trying to get to a specific set of coordinates on a planet is infuriating and shouldn't be that much a pain.

It would be nice to be able to set waypoints on the surface via the new surface maps, but the new compass for 2.2 does help considerably. I have no problem finding specific locations now on planets via coordinates, BUT I have years of experience navigating in flight simulators too, so that might be making it much easier for me than compared to other players.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It would be nice to be able to set waypoints on the surface via the new surface maps, but the new compass for 2.2 does help considerably. I have no problem finding specific locations now on planets via coordinates, BUT I have years of experience navigating in flight simulators too, so that might be making it much easier for me than compared to other players.

I was able to find the ancient ruins,.but I've trying to get to a barnacles location and just when I think the numbers are going in the right direction they start decreasing.

Onemic

Has there been any big updates between today and July? I havent played a while, but I notice that Steam is downloading a 13gb update.

DrBo42

Has there been any big updates between today and July? I havent played a while, but I notice that Steam is downloading a 13gb update.

2.2 came out with passenger missions, ship launched fighters and a bunch of quality of life changes including module storage/transfers and ship transfers between stations etc.

In other news someone on the forums noticed the official site has been updated with Season 2 info.

FD said:
Unlock the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season pass to explore planet surfaces, meet the elusive Engineers, craft new technologies and pilot a second ship into every firefight. And the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season continues into 2017 with even more new features to discover.

Looks like Season 3 isn't coming anytime soon.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

No just some minor stability patches. Can't for the life of me figure out what the client could be downloading that is 13GB of data though :p

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Whats the expected "upcoming" additions; Character Creation and Multi-Crew for 2.3? I guess 2.4 will be actual First Person walking around ships and limited station stuff as the major features. At this rate though that won't be released until this time next year.

Can't say I really have any interest in any of those things as I'm not to into multiplayer stuff, but they could certainly improve on that allowing for shared missions and so on which could be useful even for me.

I'm most concerned and hoping for improved mission design and complexity. Multi-stage and complex missions were always one of my favorite aspects of space sims. So more detail, variety and random events within missions would be nice. They're starting to fill things out and provide some more varied options to players, but it's still pretty barebones skeleton stuff. The framework of missions is there, but it's pretty damn simple.

Whats the expected "upcoming" additions; Character Creation and Multi-Crew for 2.3? I guess 2.4 will be actual First Person walking around ships and limited station stuff as the major features. At this rate though that won't be released until this time next year.

2.4 is ????

If it was walking around in ships I would be very, very surprised. I'd say if that is even in Season 3 it'll be near the end of it.

DrBo42

Assuming 2.4 is a proper Thargoid war. Although it would also make sense with multi-crew addition in 2.3. Even more so now that Palin is doing meta-alloy research related to combat ships. Who knows. Definitely want EVA for repairs and exploration of derelict ships/recovery of black boxes etc asap though.

kennah

Screw you passengers who instead of wanting to go to the station where I had just stacked the missions, instead wanted to go to a nearby system to a station that was 50,000 ls away from the star :p

Screw you passengers who instead of wanting to go to the station where I had just stacked the missions, instead wanted to go to a nearby system to a station that was 50,000 ls away from the star :p

Apparently if you ignore the message (by not even looking at it), you can ignore their request and continue to the original destination.

So what to do with my Vulture ? I want to farm Empire rank to buy a Clipper but i will need money to outfit it well. Is bounty hunting still viable or there is some other ways to make money with a Vulture ?

Top Bottom