• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DodgerSan

Basically:

1.) Use yaw to single out one of the 2 (either latitude or longitude; let's say latitude for this discussion) and move towards the general area. Basically, you want to move your yaw until ONLY latitude is moving up or down. Go at the slowest speed.

2.) Now adjust said yaw to make sure the longitude meter is going in the correct direction as well. Yawing left or right of latitude center should send you heading in the right direction for both latitude and longitude.

3.) If you find you have farther to go in one than the other, adjust yaw accordingly.

4.) Drop down out of orbit somewhere near the coordinates.

5.) Drop to 0 speed and use the compass to understand what direction you're facing. Point in the direction that adjusts only latitude (longitude measurement should remain fixed) and accelerate until you reach the target latitude.

6.) Drop to 0 speed and use the compass to turn 90 degrees so that only longitude is moving and latitude is now fixed...and accelerate. If you're longitude is going the wrong way, flip the ship 180 degrees and accelerate.

7.)
Arrive at your destination sooner or later. Sooner if you didn't drift super far away from the destination when exiting orbit.

I'm not sure I can explain it any simpler. It just takes time. Use the compass properly to determine if you are perfectly aligned to east/west or north/south to make latitude and longitude easier to manage and try to drop near the general destination.

I really, really appreciate the effort, maybe I'm not explaining my problem.

With step 1 & 2, I have the bearing so that only Lat is increasing (or decreasing). Then all of a sudden, without me touching anything. the compass flips completely the opposite direction and I'm now heading away from where I was before.

So I can't ever get the lat or long to where I need them to be, as when I start heading in the direction to do so the compass does a 180 degree flip.

hey guys what are you supposed to do with these, by the way? I dropped out of hyperspace next to one near Sol and I couldn't control my ship and had no idea how to arrest control again. I assume there is an art to this.

If you drop out of supercruise in the jets you are most likely going to die if you don't have an AFMU (and get it repairing things right away) and get pointed away from the star.

If you drop out in just the normal exclusion zone you'll probably be fine. Some module damage, will probably overheat when jumping out.

If you fly (while in supercruise) through the jets you can supercharge your FSD for a larger one off jump.

I really, really appreciate the effort, maybe I'm not explaining my problem.

With step 1 & 2, I have the bearing so that only Lat is increasing (or decreasing). Then all of a sudden, without me touching anything. the compass flips completely the opposite direction and I'm now heading away from where I was before.

So I can't ever get the lat or long to where I need them to be, as when I start heading in the direction to do so the compass does a 180 degree flip.

I had this. I was flying over the poles for a while as well until I realised my directions were flipped compared to those video streams of the alien sites. try switching the location numbers you're going for. -31.8 on the top number and -128.9 for the bottom, or the other way around if that's what you're trying right now. not sure how this happens, it's a bug I guess. could just be on a ship to ship basis that some of the ships have those two numbers switched, I'm there with a keelback.

hey guys what are you supposed to do with these, by the way? I dropped out of hyperspace next to one near Sol and I couldn't control my ship and had no idea how to arrest control again. I assume there is an art to this.

I can't find the nice graphic that someone made on reddit, but you want to enter the cone facing AWAY from the star so you are gaining distance from it as your FSD is being supercharged.

Still can be pretty dangerous:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...way_from_the_new_neutron_stars_white_dwarfes/
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange..._polar_jet_streams_can_will_and_want_to_kill/

The game REALLY doesn't want me to do passenger stuff. Today I discovered the hard way that some passengers can be wanted even though they're not listed as criminals. I was playing in VR and didn't notice the dim red warning on black background when accepting the mission, flew out and promptly got blasted to bits after a scan. Not happy.

The game REALLY doesn't want me to do passenger stuff. Today I discovered the hard way that some passengers can be wanted even though they're not listed as criminals. I was playing in VR and didn't notice the dim red warning on black background when accepting the mission, flew out and promptly got blasted to bits after a scan. Not happy.

It's happened to a lot of people, gaffers included. Thank god I was just in my Keelback. Michael Brookes commented on this today.

Indeed. We're going to change the text to make it clearer. We'll also make sure you have the warning on the status string, although you being wanted will still take precedence.

Michael

Yeah, the wanted stuff definitely needs some work. I could probably get the credits back from support, but I don't feel like whining about it. Live and learn.

Another thing I noticed was that NPCs aren't stupid anymore when it comes to mines. They'll eat a couple and start dodging. I might have to try shock mines with the whale to get out of interdictions easier.

I can't find the nice graphic that someone made on reddit, but you want to enter the cone facing AWAY from the star so you are gaining distance from it as your FSD is being supercharged.

Still can be pretty dangerous:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...way_from_the_new_neutron_stars_white_dwarfes/
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange..._polar_jet_streams_can_will_and_want_to_kill/

White Dwarfs are actually the more dangerous of the two (in my opinion) because the jets don't seem to extend out as far as they do with Neutron stars meaning you're normally going to be closer to the dropout zone when trying to hit the jets from closer to the star outward.

Dammit FF, give me the Python ship kit - i want to give you money and pimp my ship out!!!.

Gotta be coming soon. Next week sometime?

b8TpWtL.jpg

DodgerSan

I had this. I was flying over the poles for a while as well until I realised my directions were flipped compared to those video streams of the alien sites. try switching the location numbers you're going for. -31.8 on the top number and -128.9 for the bottom, or the other way around if that's what you're trying right now. not sure how this happens, it's a bug I guess. could just be on a ship to ship basis that some of the ships have those two numbers switched, I'm there with a keelback.

I'll give that a go, thanks.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Does the fact that you and your co-pilot can instantly switch between fighter and mothership, bother the "immersion" bros? Because if I can't get my ship sent to me instantly due to it breaking "immersion", then logic would dictate that you would need your fighter to dock first before being able to take control over it and vice versa.

Alos, decided I wanted to play the CG this morning before work, and I couldn't find a single CZ. Is it because I accepted both the Imperial (who I want to fight for) and the Federal missions?

calder

I randomly played a bit today again for the firs time in months.

My god I love the way this game controls. Just flying around with my HOTAS is so damn fun. And yet, once again the missions bore me to tears and I can't make any headway past the very early game. Made a pretty big mistake in trying mining but now I spent all the (tiny) amount of credits I had on gear for that and it's no more fun than the not terribly fun random bounties.

I should try a bit of simple trading as I really do love just flying around.

Agremont

Finally got home from my trip. I must say I'm very dissappointed how little increase in my explorer rank I got. Holy shit what a grind it is. Could someone tell me what actually counts? Does scanning every single body in a system count towards the rank?

Also, can someone explain exactly what "level 3 detailed scans" are. I had done plenty of exploring before this trip and had 3100 level 3 scans. After selling the data from this trip it jumped up to over 26000.

I didn't think this trip was that much bigger than some of my previous ones. Maybe it was... :S

Oh and one other thing, I'm suddenly getting schholed in combat in my python. The AI seems to have gotten a lot tougher. Even smaller ships seem dangerous and get my shields down in no time. Despite not being that high rank.

Does the fact that you and your co-pilot can instantly switch between fighter and mothership, bother the "immersion" bros? Because if I can't get my ship sent to me instantly due to it breaking "immersion", then logic would dictate that you would need your fighter to dock first before being able to take control over it and vice versa.

Alos, decided I wanted to play the CG this morning before work, and I couldn't find a single CZ. Is it because I accepted both the Imperial (who I want to fight for) and the Federal missions?

In the game it shows that the fighter is being controlled remotely by the crew member in your ship. So switching over roles isn't that big of a deal.

I finally made it! Kind of. Not really. I was about 12k ly for Sag A and then I saw Colonia was only about 11k ly from where I was, so I took a detour. This is probably better since I can buy somethings and sold my UC data. I actually made a lot more than I was expecting. Just the trip out here I made 17 mil. I did run into a lot of white dwarfs, neutron stars, and even a black hole. My exploration rank went from Scout 98% to Pathfinder 53%. So I gained almost three ranks from it. I think I’m going to chill out here for a bit. There are missions and stuff I can do before I take the long trip back. It’s such a relief to get here.

Is it me or are the Cobras and Vipers much more beefy now? I have two fixed beams on my FDS and am doing far more percentage damage to Pythons and Asp Xs than the Cobras and Vipers in CZs.

Well they messed up CQC. None of the stats are being recorded. So you're not getting xp and none of your stats (kills, assists, wins, and etc) get recorded. I thought it was weird that my rank didn't move at all after an hour of play. Then I checked the forums and it's happening to everyone. So no CQC until this is fixed because it's pretty much game breaking.

So true, I didn't want to sell mine.

arqygxV.gif

It'd be cool if you could do something else other than sell them. Drop them off at a Research Lab (or something) at a specific station to let them perform analysis on it, eventually gaining some lore or possible hints towards the next location(s).

It uses a "neural link"--essentially remote control.

It does sort of "break" things. Like, why can't you just "neural" into your SRV while you actually stay safe in your ship?

CG is open play only. Which confused me to start too. Didn't know they could force that, or maybe a new thing.

This system has a black hole too.

Ah interesting. Guess I need to sell my Asp and buy a Vulture!

I randomly played a bit today again for the firs time in months.

My god I love the way this game controls. Just flying around with my HOTAS is so damn fun. And yet, once again the missions bore me to tears and I can't make any headway past the very early game. Made a pretty big mistake in trying mining but now I spent all the (tiny) amount of credits I had on gear for that and it's no more fun than the not terribly fun random bounties.

I should try a bit of simple trading as I really do love just flying around.

Yup, the flight model is incredibly sound and has been one of the cornerstones of the game. Engineers and SLF have made it even better--there's a lot more variety in the way ships can handle compared to a year ago.

Jedi2016

Got blow'd up on a passenger mission. They're going to have to tweak that a bit. I thought you could avoid it by just selecting your passengers carefully, since wanted criminals are actually listed as such, but I'm pretty sure this one wasn't.. it's like they became wanted during the course of the mission, which cost me over 5M in rebuy (it was my Beluga they blasted out of the sky). Also makes me want to avoid stacking missions from here on, since the only reason I landed at the station anyway (despite the now-suddenly-wanted passenger saying something along the lines of "get me the hell out of here") was that I had a second passenger to drop off at that station.

*grumble grumble*

DrBo42

People have found more than 1 ruin site? Hmm. Wonder if it's leading to anything or just the typical "You just unlocked another cryptic GalNet message!"

SmartBase

People have found more than 1 ruin site? Hmm. Wonder if it's leading to anything or just the typical "You just unlocked another cryptic GalNet message!"

There's not a snowball's chance in hell it won't just be more exposition through Galnet and then the wait for more content in the next update.

I wish the python could hold some fighters.

I really wonder what their reasoning is behind excluding it.

Another small but (IMO) significant addition with SLF: a sense of scale and ownership. Being able to actually *see* your own ship, or even your own SLF, flying on its own (well, via your crew)--there's something really satisfying and (DARE I SAY) immersive about it. Space doesn't feel so lonely and you don't just feel like a flying/floating cockpit.

Passenger missions are the new shit, at least for beginners. I'm only cordial with NeoGAF faction and I'm getting offers for 300-500k missions that are 1-3 jumps away. That feels almost as lucrative as bounty hunting for beginners.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

No, only one site has been found so far, BUT we are pretty sure there is a second site out there. The video footage shown at the Elite Meet shows different star patterns in the sky than the current ruin's location, so either:

1. there is a second ruin site
or
2. Frontier moved the ruin site between the Elite Meet and the 2.2 trailer

A system has been found where the starmap lines up perfectly with the Elite Meet footage, and commanders are currently scouring that system for a second site, but there is a LOT of moons to explore and search.

Here is a link to a post I made with my current theory of what the ruins are: stellar maps pointing to something important:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...9-The-Canonn?p=4705646&viewfull=1#post4705646

Yep. I really do think that the ruins is a stellar map, and after a bit of amateurish paintshop work, I'm more convinced now than ever.

Let's look at the mock up I posted earlier (thanks to hhiram for the original aerial view):

WNgLrNp.jpg

Now, my hunch is that IF the ruins are a stellar map, then it needs reference points in order to make it legible. If the large landing pad represents the site of the current discovered ruins, Synuefe xr-h d11-102, and IF the smaller landing pad is a second ruins site like the first one, AND if we go with the theory that a second ruins site must be in system Col 173 Sector KY-Q d5-47 as hinted at by Frontier's trailer (thanks to some great detective work by commanders in this thread), then this is how the architecture of the ruins lays out over top of a map of the galaxy (please excuse my horrid paintshop skills!):

JbtJgwV.jpg

NOW, looking at this a few things become apparent:

1. The thick blue cross lines in my sketch represent the X and Y axis of the galaxy, which just happen to line up perfectly with the very big ridge that juts out from the large landing pad at the alien site representing X, and the shorter big ridge that runs perpendicular to it representing Y. They line up perfectly.

2. Regarding the line that hhiram said pointed straight at Merope (one ridge of the wedge), if it is not meant to be a vector from the planet's surface but instead meant to be a galactic vector from the system itself, then the two lines represented by the smaller ridges coming off the large landing pad do indeed directly point to some major stellar objects. In my sketch, the red line points directly to either the Witchhead Nebula, the Barnard's Loop area, or possibly the Cone Nebula past them both. The green line, or the upper ridge from the large landing pad, directly points to either the Flaming Star Nebula or possibly the Triad of the North cluster.

Now, if I am right, and this is a map, AND there is a second set of ruins in Col 173 Sector KY-Q d5-47 waiting to be found, then I predict that this second set of ruins will look very much like this:

GyHLODP.jpg

It will be set up similarly to the first set, but from the perspective of Col 173 Sector KY-Q d5-47 where the large landing pad will represent that system, the small pad will represent Synuefe xr-h d11-102, and the large ridge will run same as in the first ruins BUT the shorter large ridge will go the opposite direction, and the smaller ridge wedge coming out of the large pad will point as I've shown in a whole new direction, with one ridge pointing (possibly) to Barnard's Loop and the other (possibly) to the Flaming Star Nebula.

That's my theory on the meaning of the ruins. Now as to what the obelisks and stuff on the inside of the ruins mean, they may just be more information or vectors telling us distances or marking other stellar objects for reference. Possibly.

Volimar

I've been scouring the second site. No luck so far. I have learned that my trade conda can't keep up with my fighter very well. But it is fun flying through canyons and such. Also, no fuel to worry about running out of.

It uses a "neural link"--essentially remote control.

It does sort of "break" things. Like, why can't you just "neural" into your SRV while you actually stay safe in your ship?

It doesn't break immersion if we accept that we're all cylons. In fact it makes more sense that when we get blown up our program gets sent to a new body like in BSG.

Fungal life found in Colonia: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/303036-Fungal-Life-Found-on-Colonia-3-C-A

Don't wanna post pics in case people are sensitive about spoilers.

No, only one site has been found so far, BUT we are pretty sure there is a second site out there. The video footage shown at the Elite Meet shows different star patterns in the sky than the current ruin's location, so either:

1. there is a second ruin site
or
2. Frontier moved the ruin site between the Elite Meet and the 2.2 trailer

A system has been found where the starmap lines up perfectly with the Elite Meet footage, and commanders are currently scouring that system for a second site, but there is a LOT of moons to explore and search.

Here is a link to a post I made with my current theory of what the ruins are: stellar maps pointing to something important:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...9-The-Canonn?p=4705646&viewfull=1#post4705646

Good stuff, Mengy, really cool.

Jedi2016

You mean the SRV that, when utterly destroyed, suddenly finds you safe and sound in the cockpit of your ship?

The only immersion breaker I've seen is that they both require life support...

Was just in a CZ and the factions glitched in the middle of it. Suddenly Federal ships were enemies and they turned on the battlecruiser. The thing was also moving right before it bugged.

DrBo42

Anyone actually having luck with passenger mission stacking for economic runs? Edit: Apparently HIP 10167 is the place to be.

Jedi2016

Anyone actually having luck with passenger mission stacking for economic runs? Edit: Apparently HIP 10167 is the place to be.
So far I haven't found the need to stack anything. I've picked up a few simple taxi missions today that were 6-7M a pop. I also discovered it's a pain in the ass when you get multiple missions to the same location only to have one of your passengers decide they don't want to go there any more. I think I'll only ever pick up single-customer, high-paying missions from now on. That's why I ended up getting rid of the Beluga and swapping it for an Orca for the time being. And then in a couple of days when I get some more moola, I'll install a passenger cabin or two in my Anaconda.

DrBo42

So far I haven't found the need to stack anything. I've picked up a few simple taxi missions today that were 6-7M a pop. I also discovered it's a pain in the ass when you get multiple missions to the same location only to have one of your passengers decide they don't want to go there any more. I think I'll only ever pick up single-customer, high-paying missions from now on. That's why I ended up getting rid of the Beluga and swapping it for an Orca for the time being. And then in a couple of days when I get some more moola, I'll install a passenger cabin or two in my Anaconda.

Pretty rare I see one of those transport missions you're talking about. Wonder what the conditions are to spawn them. Nice thing about Wu Guinagi to/from HIP 10716 route is that refugees, aid workers, rebels, businessmen need trips back and forth. So with full economy racks you're getting at least 3 million per leg of the round trip and it's 1 jump.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Kind of wasted a lot of time doing passenger missions last two nights. Got about 8 million with my Vulture doing assassination missions and became Allied with a local faction.

Us those funds to buy myself an Asp Explorer and stripped out everything and threw in 10 person First class and Business class passenger compartments and then two 2 person economy cabins that I need to get something better but it's all they had.

No shields, no guns. Just a long range discovery scanner, 2A fuel scoop, Chaff Launcher, 4A PP and 5A thrusters and 5C Frame Shift and passenger cabins. Got killed twice, once by accidentally boosting into a planet... and a second time with a wanted passenger 1 second from docking.

Back to around 8 million in cash though. My available passenger missions are pretty mehh though. Lots of decent 100-400k transport missions within 20ly and a few 1-3 million missions for sight seeing within 160ly but most multi million missions are like 1,000-30,000ly. Who the fuck would do that? I mean sure 45 million is great, but at 26k ly that's hours of traveling.

Think I'll travel to a more prosperous system and build up my rep with the locals via combat missions then move back over to the passenger with hopefully better options.

joecanada

Kind of wasted a lot of time doing passenger missions last two nights. Got about 8 million with my Vulture doing assassination missions and became Allied with a local faction.

Us those funds to buy myself an Asp Explorer and stripped out everything and threw in 10 person First class and Business class passenger compartments and then two 2 person economy cabins that I need to get something better but it's all they had.

No shields, no guns. Just a long range discovery scanner, 2A fuel scoop, Chaff Launcher, 4A PP and 5A thrusters and 5C Frame Shift and passenger cabins. Got killed twice, once by accidentally boosting into a planet... and a second time with a wanted passenger 1 second from docking.

Back to around 8 million in cash though. My available passenger missions are pretty mehh though. Lots of decent 100-400k transport missions within 20ly and a few 1-3 million missions for sight seeing within 160ly but most multi million missions are like 1,000-30,000ly. Who the fuck would do that? I mean sure 45 million is great, but at 26k ly that's hours of traveling.

Think I'll travel to a more prosperous system and build up my rep with the locals via combat missions then move back over to the passenger with hopefully better options.

yeah I haven't been impressed with the payout on passenger missions. once in a while I see one for like 30 million and I'm like wow then check the destination and it won't even plot, so that's a big no thanks.

anyone know yet if inactive crew take profits? I believe they do because I had one and Im sure it listed their profits to date.

Effect

I haven't even seriously considered a mission over 1000ly away other the first one I saw. You have to actually double that distance because you need to make the return trip back in order to get paid and drop off the passenger. Those are round trip missions. For the pay out it isn't worth it. Especially with the chance you can still be interdicted by npcs and destroyed. It's more stressful and time consuming then doing a Maia or Sothis run.

That first mission that made me considering the trip was on the first day. I saw one offering 98 million but it was out to Sagittarius A and back. By the time I finally left Rhea to get a system to outfit my Python and get back it had disappeared and I've yet to see anything like that again. Glad it disappeared though because at the time I hadn't realized that it would be a round trip mission and I'd be risking not getting anything at all for the trouble.

I'll grind 1 million missions to nearby system before taking long trips. It doesn't seem worth it if the goal is to make money.

If you want to explore then maybe it's worth it. The passenger missions give you a predetermined destination, a timer, and a reason to head back after going out that far. That way you're not just wandering around aimlessly. So maybe that's how those long range missions should be approached?

Yup, IMO, there's almost no reason to not take some passengers with you if you're going to Sag A, Jacque, etc. Leaving money on the table.

Passenger missions work just like others: the higher your rep, the higher the payouts. Still, even at Cordial rank, you can find easy ones (1-2 jumps) for a quick couple hundred thousand credits. Some people are finding single jump missions that pay in low millions, too, if you're high enough with the faction.

Perfect time for you scrubs to come help the GAF faction :D

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
In the game it shows that the fighter is being controlled remotely by the crew member in your ship. So switching over roles isn't that big of a deal.

So is the player also neuro-linked to the fighter when you fly it? That would explain the near immediate teleportation back onto the mothership when the fighter is destroyed. But if that's the case, is that a VR body I'm in when I go into a fighter?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Things are going much better passenger wise now that I relocated to Cubeo. Beefed up my Asp too so now I can jump 26lys. Lots of 1-4 million dollar transports sub 100ly, most are no more than a single jump, and plenty of 3-6 million sight seeing jobs that are sub 200ly.

I just wish there was an auto planet lander like there is an auto dock. Planets aren't hard but it's just so slow, would be nice to let the comp take over. So relieving when I see I am bringing them to a orbital and not planet base.

Also anyway to lower the volume of the station announcements? Shit is so loud and all my audio dials are super low.

Also also anyone experiencing lag? I'm having numerous instances where the game will just stop taking any input from my HOTAS or keyboard for a few seconds, but everything will be continuing on as normal.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I haven't even seriously considered a mission over 1000ly away other the first one I saw. You have to actually double that distance because you need to make the return trip back in order to get paid and drop off the passenger. Those are round trip missions. For the pay out it isn't worth it. Especially with the chance you can still be interdicted by npcs and destroyed. It's more stressful and time consuming then doing a Maia or Sothis run.

Eh, I honestly feel that passenger missions have the potential to pay out better than the Sothis stuff ever did. With Sothis you had to do the log & main menu dance to really make the good credits, and then you needed to deliver a couple dozen missions to various stations, and then fly back to Sothis again. It was profitable but it took time. This weekend I did a single passenger mission in my Asp where I flew a guy out 1100 lys to the Veil Nebula and back again for 28 million credits. In my Asp, with a 51 ly range, the trip took me less than one hour. I think 28 million for an hour’s work isn’t too bad, and If I had taken more than just that one passenger mission I could have made much more, especially if I was flying an Anaconda and doing these types of missions.

I guess some people see the long distances and immediately write them off, but in reality a lot of these far out passenger missions are paying pretty great, especially if you have a ship optimized for long jump ranges.

Top Bottom