• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Considering the new ruin structures would think there is more than one species out there.

In my opinion the ruins and the crashed bug ships are two different storylines going on right now:

- the crashed bug ships and such are an alien race out in the galaxy, either Thargoids or something else

- the newly discovered ruins and in fact NOT alien and are instead something left over from the Missing humans who left the bubble long ago.

That's just my hunch though, totally unsupported by anything concrete!

RAIDEN1

So am I correct in thinking there are no alien enemies at all in this game yet? And the Thargoids are still M.I.A?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So am I correct in thinking there are no alien enemies at all in this game yet? And the Thargoids are still M.I.A?

If they are no one has encountered them. Given how massive the game is they could theoretically hide a whole alien civilization out there, but odds are they haven't.

Lot of people seem to be speculating that will be the big feature for 3.0.

Burny

- the newly discovered ruins and in fact NOT alien and are instead something left over from the Missing humans who left the bubble long ago.

I could see that as a kind of plot twist, but strongly doubt it. Even the current human architecture/technique displayed in ED is more or less close to today's human's designs. The ruins' technology seems to be alien on purpose and not like something humans produce in Elite's universe.

If humans have had their hands in it, I'd find it more likely that those are the remnants of some human created AI, that's gone rogue/disappeared or similar.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would be delighted to learn that aliens have been findable this entire time and it's just that no one has yet.

Is there any map that shows what systems have been explored and regions that are completely uncharted? I know lots of people have traveled to the core, lots meaning probably a few hundred, but what about the far side of the galaxy?

quite a lot of people went to beagle point, at the other side of the galaxy. and quite a few have circled. but don't think it's possible to see what kind of coverage we've got overall from everyone exploring. probably not a lot on the full scale.

I think everyone is assuming the thargoids will come from barnard's loop though, when the shit hits the fan? there's a whole sector there with permit'ed off systems waiting for content to be added.

Volimar

^ I think the big bad will be coming from the Horsehead Dark Region. Just a hunch.

My theory is that a Great Filter superpredator put the Alien ruins there for us to find and the relics that burst out of the ground are a beacon to let them know that our species has advanced to the point of needing to be culled. Perhaps the Thargoids fled to witch space to escape their own culling.

Gotta say, that Canonn group are crazy good at figuring stuff out.

Jedi2016

The newly discovered ruins and in fact NOT alien and are instead something left over from the Missing humans who left the bubble long ago.

That's just my hunch though, totally unsupported by anything concrete!
Have to disagree with you there. The general layout of the structure isn't like anything else we've seen, and the visible structures appear very non-human.

That said, they're clearly of different make than the Barnacles, Unknown Artifacts and Probes, as well as the crashed ship in the Pleiades. I think we're looking at an alien race, just not one that we've seen before. The question that pops to my mind is whether they're even still around any more, given the apparent age of those ruins.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
^ I think the big bad will be coming from the Horsehead Dark Region. Just a hunch.

My theory is that a Great Filter superpredator put the Alien ruins there for us to find and the relics that burst out of the ground are a beacon to let them know that our species has advanced to the point of needing to be culled. Perhaps the Thargoids fled to witch space to escape their own culling.

Gotta say, that Canonn group are crazy good at figuring stuff out.

WTF?! What part of the game is this? When I started this game, they gave me a dinky ship and then told me to knock myself out. Where's this story stuff coming from?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Fuckkkk. Just lost out on 13 million and wasted an hour and half. I completed 3 separate tours simultaneously. 2 of which were with wanted passengers because the money was good and I figured I could risk it. Went into half a dozen orbis/coriolis stations to refuel along the way without issue getting by the scanners before anything could pop off. Was simply stopping at an outpost which I had done twice before as well on that trip without issue and this one just had to scan me and blew me out of the sky. I was just 8 jumps from dropping this bastards off. I just had to try and dock at an outpost that actually scanned you. Fuck me.

DrBo42

WTF?! What part of the game is this? When I started this game, they gave me a dinky ship and then told me to knock myself out. Where's this story stuff coming from?
GalNet and the forums. Story doesn't actually happen in-game in Elite Dangerous. Don't be silly.

Fuckkkk. Just lost out on 13 million and wasted an hour and half. I completed 3 separate tours simultaneously. 2 of which were with wanted passengers because the money was good and I figured I could risk it. Went into half a dozen orbis/coriolis stations to refuel along the way without issue getting by the scanners before anything could pop off. Was simply stopping at an outpost which I had done twice before as well on that trip without issue and this one just had to scan me and blew me out of the sky. I was just 8 jumps from dropping this bastards off. I just had to try and dock at an outpost that actually scanned you. Fuck me.

ouch. rip.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
ouch. rip.

That's only technically the worst of it, but only due to the time spent on it. Earlier last night I screwed myself out of an easy 12 million too. I had a simple transport for a VIP just 80lys away. But I was not paying attention when leaving the port and boosted at the exit and since I took out shields for more passenger space I damaged 44% of my hull and he was was super pissed about that.

I hoped everything was OK and took it real slow after that but then I tried to drop my second passenger off first who was another transport for like 200k just 2 jumps away and again no shields so when I auto-docked with the station I took 1-2% damage on landing and the 12 million VIP was like "fuck this shit I'm out." That one hurt a lot. At least I knew there was risk with the wanted passengers of things going south. The VIP was a total cake walk.

But I'm doing quite well regardless. In the last 3 days I've earned some 75 million from doing passenger runs. With any luck I'll have enough credits for a fully kitted Python by Saturday evening. Or at least one that I can kit out to make even more money on passenger runs.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's some good profit, Enduin. What are you flying, again?

I bought a Asp Explorer, ripped out everything I didn't absolutely need and threw in a 6C 1st class cabin, 5C Business class, 2 3D/C? Business class, 3E cargo rack only because some stupid transports give you shitty commodities that you can't reject, auto-docking computer, 1C discovery scanner for easy credits with all that jumping, no weapons. 2A PP, 5D thrusters, 5A FSD, 4A Power Distributor and stock rest for max jump range.

I can jump just over 26.5lys and I'm running out of Cubeo which has three relatively close big stations, so being allied with several factions in the area gives me a lot of mission options. So it's been pretty easy to double or triple up on transport and even sometimes RT sight seeing tours. No shortage of 100-400k single jump transports. A decent amount of 1-3 million sub 100ly transports and even 3-7 million sub 300 ly tours.

And if things do go south like they did last night, it's not really a big deal. My insurance on the thing like 650k. So you can cover that with just a couple of transport trips even if you aren't fully allied with a faction.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Passenger wants 2 mil to go 12 ly....at docks says they want auto-fab shelters to make journey more hospitable....denied.

Yeah they need to work on those things.

"Ohh hey take me 60 ly for 3 million," halfway through trip aka after 2 jumps, "hey can you go find me this obscure commodity to make my suuuuper long trip more comfortable, I'll pay you a whole 10,000 more credits."

I also enjoy the bonuses for arriving before the time runs out. I either get ~5 minutes or an hour and half. There is no in between.

Mengy

Mengy, what's Team 6?

Team 6 is the lost mining team at the newly discovered abandoned mining camp, located in the Hyades sector dr-v c2-23 system, on planet A5 at the base of a humongous mountain at lat 44.82, long -31.39. I went over there last night to look around, very cool place, kind of eerie but scenic too. Really made me want space legs more than ever, lol.

Pics I took last night:

dKiAnz7.jpg

X0xVTvR.jpg

GplVpLh.jpg

ggkDiap.jpg

If you run around the camp you can scan a few data links and read the last few transcripts of what happened in the camp's final hours. Kind of cool story. Here is a link to pics of all the dialogue if anyone wants to read them:

https://imgur.com/a/RxtYu#GmXEu6s

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm suddenly super tempted to get a pimped out imp eagle and just be really really really reckless when flying it.

If it's fully A rated the rebuy cost is only like 150k or something pathetically small.

Volimar

Aaaah, that's so fucking cool. So...are those hints that there is an underground alien base somewhere on that planet?!

Some outposts just didn't make it. Doesn't have anything to do with aliens. Don't know if this is one of those places yet but I'll defnitely be checking it out.

Mengy

Some outposts just didn't make it. Doesn't have anything to do with aliens. Don't know if this is one of those places yet but I'll defnitely be checking it out.

Well if you read the logs then something odd and strange happened! Many commanders are searching for the lost mineshaft right now, I'm not even sure if Frontier actually put it there but it would be kind of cool to find out that they did!

Volimar

I was playing in Mobius and saw people at the ruins site. They kept logging on and off and scanning the same obelisk. This is going to be a short CG.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone use Voice Attack? Will Shatner one is pretty awesome. I was intrigued by them or something like it early on when ED was released. Don't think I'll get it now but maybe down the line it seems like a cool setup if it actually works.

DrBo42

Hope they do this for Verity. That's the pack I use since it fits the best with the game IMO.
I was using Eden today and she has some of it. I'd send a tweet to HCS about it.

Edit: As of October 30th Verity was updated for 2.2 as well including the fighter commands and the new yes/no functionality. Check the email you bought it with.

I can't find any mention of it outside the FD forums though.

I was using Eden today and she has some of it. I'd send a tweet to HCS about it.

Edit: As of October 30th Verity was updated for 2.2 as well including the fighter commands and the new yes/no functionality. Check the email you bought it with.

I can't find any mention of it outside the FD forums though.

Just saw the email. Forgot I'd registered that to an email I don't check as often.

Jedi2016

Took me long enough:

vXTmik6.jpg

/contented sigh

She's fairly well-armed, but not quite truly combat-ready, defenses are still pretty low. Genuinely better than the liners for doing passenger missions, honestly, and plenty of cargo space to boot. Think I even still have room for a fighter bay.. the 'Conda's got a ridiculous number of internal compartments.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Took me long enough:

vXTmik6.jpg

/contented sigh

She's fairly well-armed, but not quite truly combat-ready, defenses are still pretty low. Genuinely better than the liners for doing passenger missions, honestly, and plenty of cargo space to boot. Think I even still have room for a fighter bay.. the 'Conda's got a ridiculous number of internal compartments.

I'm currently sitting at 105 million and contemplating buying a Python right now and selling off my Vulture and Asp Explorer for another 26 mil, but wonder if I should hold off until this weekend when I will assuredly be able to afford an Anaconda. Not sure if I really want to be in a ship that large.

By all accounts the Python seems to be a fantastic versatile ship. I can wreck shit up as a combat vessel, rake in lots of cash taking passengers and it's a super capable explorer should I want to explore the far reaches. But the Anaconda sounds similarly versatile, just way bigger.

Volimar

Took me long enough:

vXTmik6.jpg

/contented sigh

Congrats. I really like the Conda too. I think my top 3 are AspX, Conda, Corvette.

Just jumping in to see if they ever fixed Vive support in this game...?

If you mean in terms of the clarity, there was always a workaround, but since the 2.2 update they've added supersampling options just for the HMD. Plus with the Asynchronous Reprojection in SteamVR, system requirements are lower.

Got mine sitting on 1.75 and it looks pretty nice. No going back to a monitor for me.

Mengy

Took me long enough:

vXTmik6.jpg

/contented sigh

Nice, ironically enough I just bought my very first Anaconda a bit over one week ago too:

I’ve been mostly exploring with it so far, I’ve honestly not put a single weapon on her yet, LOL! I both love this ship and hate it simultaneously:

PROS: it can fit so many internals, is super versatile, has incredible jump range, and can carry a fighter which are fun for exploring in
CONS: it flies like a brick, turns like a slug, I can’t see shit out of the cockpit, and I can’t go through a station slot without scraping paint!!!!

I’ve not decided yet if I’m going to mothball my Asp and explore in the Anaconda or just use her as a passenger / cargo vessel.

I bought a Asp Explorer, ripped out everything I didn't absolutely need and threw in a 6C 1st class cabin, 5C Business class, 2 3D/C? Business class, 3E cargo rack only because some stupid transports give you shitty commodities that you can't reject, auto-docking computer, 1C discovery scanner for easy credits with all that jumping, no weapons. 2A PP, 5D thrusters, 5A FSD, 4A Power Distributor and stock rest for max jump range.

I can jump just over 26.5lys and I'm running out of Cubeo which has three relatively close big stations, so being allied with several factions in the area gives me a lot of mission options. So it's been pretty easy to double or triple up on transport and even sometimes RT sight seeing tours. No shortage of 100-400k single jump transports. A decent amount of 1-3 million sub 100ly transports and even 3-7 million sub 300 ly tours.

And if things do go south like they did last night, it's not really a big deal. My insurance on the thing like 650k. So you can cover that with just a couple of transport trips even if you aren't fully allied with a faction.

Nice, thanks! I may outfit my Asp for that this weekend.

The new yes/no interactions in the updated HCS voice packs for Voice Attack are awesome.

People should really give these a shot if you're on PC. Makes it way more immersive IMO.

Yup, just saw these. Love the help "reminders" too.

Took me long enough:

vXTmik6.jpg

/contented sigh

Congrats!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nice, thanks! I may outfit my Asp for that this weekend.

Yeah it's worked out quite well. Despite some more screw ups last night I still made another 27 million. Would have made another 13 on top of that but Verizon was having issues and crapped out before I could complete a site seeing tour around 1am and it was way too late as it was so I went to bed. If I'm lucky it wont time out by tonight when I get home. I think those missions have like day to week long limits thankfully.

Not sure if I should keep either my Asp or Vulture when I buy my Python tonight or tomorrow or trade them in. Not really sure what use they would be anymore and it's an easy 26 million I could put towards better stuff for my Python and help work my way up to also purchasing an Anaconda.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So for those of missing the credit heavy Sothis/Ceos long range trading missions, Skimmer Missions are legit. Takes a helluva a lot less time, one jump between where missions are issued and the system you need to do the work in, and the pay is so good (provided you level up your rep with the factions).

Effect

Took me long enough:

vXTmik6.jpg

/contented sigh

Congrats. Really close to be able to buy one after selling a few of my ships but still don't have enough for the rebuy or to even outfit her beyond maybe D grade equipment. Thinking maybe I should just take the risk. Perhaps a few missions will allow for more money quicker. It is a risk I think.

DrBo42

I wonder if they'd introduce deterioration or decay since they're at least partly organic ships. But as these are airless moons not sure how much would occur.

Can someone please fully explain how to escape an interdiction? I've never made it out of one, I always panic and reboot the computer (did they disable Alt+F4? Bastards!). It's happened so rarely (4 times?) I still don't know how to expect every possible problem. I know about zero throttle and boosting, my current problem is being mass-locked by the ship (of course my enemies had to be Anaconda classes) or whatever that message is. Is H the quickest way to jump to a system? Will it point you in the general direction? Fuck, I just want to trade in a Cobra for now, I can't even handle the pressure of outrunning a big ship much less do combat.

They REALLY need to add an interdiction training video, it would help me so much. They actually reduced the number of training videos but at least they go through everything step by step. The quality's an improvement but there's so much they should cover.

Obviously I haven't played in almost a month, I spent my savings on a Cobra and now have 160k so I feel like a noob.

IIRC I didn't even have anything except scrap rewards in my cargo, I was going TO buy commodities for a mission. Pirates are such assholes.

Top Bottom