• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Peroroncino

I just went to Rakapila and discovered some Hazardous RES sites, holy this those sites are LIT, anybody on PS4 with a decent ship up for wing? Because there's constant action, but no security to run to if things get serious. First time I'm literally encouraged to party.

So... uhm, sorry for the shameless re-quote but remember that bit I said about being encouraged to party up in Hazardous RES?

Guess what, I did, with 2 completely random people and I experienced something that probably can only be described as one of the best gaming moments I've ever had.

Instead of stealing bounties from each other, we winged up and decided to try and cooperate... after about 30 minutes of clunky text messages about what target we should hit next, one guy suggested to use voice chat (usually opposed to that, random people are often toxic asshats), not the ps4 party system, but the in-game one and... it turned out pretty amazing, both guys knew english very well and we communicated like on one of those scripted cringy E3 conferences, 'boogie inboud' / 'cover me' / 'engaging', in the meantime we also exchanged some basic tips and always plotted when confronted with bigger wanted wings e.g. anaconda + 2 vipers, we didn't have a chance with my Vulture and their cobras so we followed them around and waited until they've picked a fight with another wanted ship/ships, then, when they teared each other apart we [very bravely, lmao] decided to jump in and kill them all, earning ~400k in about 3 minutes, IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Overall I think I made about ~3.5 million credits, afterwards we added each other onto a friendslist, thanked each other for playing and went our way. It may not sound all that impressive, but damn, it was awesome, intense and immersive coordinating attacks on bigger wings and ships etc.

lol, I'd like to see a video.

Kyoufu

Wings in RES are legit fun. Must be bliss in HazRes with the constant action.

Not sure why I'm getting interdicted with no cargo or missions. Escaping the interdiction and ending up in the RES was cool though, I guess. Still, I think interdictions in Solo play are a complete waste of time. :.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
So I took a passenger from Hutton Orbital. It was in a direction away from where I'd been before, sure, and a fair few jumps, but it'd be worth the money.

So we finally get to the system. It contains the first White Dwarf I've ever seen, which I didn't realise was much smaller than normal until my ship almost caught fire and I had to try and escape from its gravity well without burning up.

Still! We get to the tourism beacon, scan it, and I get the 'Mission Complete' message as well as a message from the passenger, presumably to drop him off at the nearby statio-

ps_messages_20170703_5buby.jpg

Transformers_Air_Lock_01.jpg

Peroroncino

So I took a passenger from Hutton Orbital. It was in a direction away from where I'd been before, sure, and a fair few jumps, but it'd be worth the money.

So we finally get to the system. It contains the first White Dwarf I've ever seen, which I didn't realise was much smaller than normal until my ship almost caught fire and I had to try and escape from its gravity well without burning up.

Still! We get to the tourism beacon, scan it, and I get the 'Mission Complete' message as well as a message from the passenger, presumably to drop him off at the nearby statio-

LMAO, I laughed way harder than I should.

lmao

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Haha, smooth.

If I enjoyed EVE will I like this? It seems similar in certain ways. Thinking about getting it now that it's on PS4.

I enjoyed EVE many years ago, and this is scratching a familiar itch. The total control over flight and actual physics (risk of crashing into stuff, using a planet's gravity well to slow down, burning up too close to stars, etc.) makes it extra special.

Sorry for the noob question, but when should we start worrying about Engineers? I have a bunch of data and materials that say they're for engineering, and I don't see any other way to store/sell them. Doubt there's anything amazing hidden in there, but don't really want to just chuck it... Unless someone can convince me that I won't need it until I get much deeper in or buy Horizons.

Jedi2016

Finally made it to Hutton Orbital. Tempted to buy a commemorative mug.
Am I the only one who thinks it would be great to be able to buy a (IRL) Hutton mug from the Frontier Store? And they only sell it to accounts that have verified visits to the station?

That, and a in-game dashboard ornament, likewise only purchasable at the station.

hobozero

Sorry for the noob question, but when should we start worrying about Engineers? I have a bunch of data and materials that say they're for engineering, and I don't see any other way to store/sell them. Doubt there's anything amazing hidden in there, but don't really want to just chuck it... Unless someone can convince me that I won't need it until I get much deeper in or buy Horizons.

Engineering materials like ores, data, etc do not take up any cargo space. You are limited in how much you can carry but in early game you shouldn't need to worry about getting anywhere near that limit. Don't dump anything, just hold on to it til you start engineering. Plus in a pinch you can always slowly level an engineer's rep by making level 1 mods over and over and over...

Animal

Banned
I know this is a long shot but back when Elite launched someone had made a video that convinced many people to try this game out and I am trying to find it again. If anyone has it I would be immensely grateful!

The video consisted of a pilot spotting a ship and chasing after it jump after jump only to end up in an epic battle. The video had no voice narration. Only typed narration.

I have been trying to find it on YouTube for the last while but no success :(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who thinks it would be great to be able to buy a (IRL) Hutton mug from the Frontier Store? And they only sell it to accounts that have verified visits to the station?

That, and a in-game dashboard ornament, likewise only purchasable at the station.

Sounds like a cool idea!

Engineering materials like ores, data, etc do not take up any cargo space. You are limited in how much you can carry but in early game you shouldn't need to worry about getting anywhere near that limit. Don't dump anything, just hold on to it til you start engineering. Plus in a pinch you can always slowly level an engineer's rep by making level 1 mods over and over and over...

Thanks! Good to know. Looks like they're only available on planetary bases, so I'll keep all that until I grab Horizons.

I know this is a long shot but back when Elite launched someone had made a video that convinced many people to try this game out and I am trying to find it again. If anyone has it I would be immensely grateful!

The video consisted of a pilot spotting a ship and chasing after it jump after jump only to end up in an epic battle. The video had no voice narration. Only typed narration.

I have been trying to find it on YouTube for the last while but no success :(

Not sure about the exact video, but for typed narration I enjoy Isinona. Maybe it's somewhere in there?

Can I avoid combat in Elite?

I suck at flying aggressively and I'd rather make money by mining etc but the random fights are putting me off.
I've avoided it. I've been trading a lot and every time they manage to pull me out of supercruise I just max out engines and jump away. I've been flying a big heavy trader, so if I can get away I imagine any other ship can.

Hylian7

If I enjoyed EVE will I like this? It seems similar in certain ways. Thinking about getting it now that it's on PS4.

My experience of EVE is limited to a less than 30 minute demo/trial thing and I thought it was quite boring.

EVE doesn't have the aspects of actually piloting a ship like this does. Combat here is more like X-Wings in Star Wars than an MMO type of combat.

It does definitely share some aspects with EVE, with some heavily player driven things (see Fuel Rats, that one is pretty cool).

Honestly while Elite's biggest issue is it's lack of endgame, it does a lot quite well. It definitely fits my tastes better than Eve.

LMAO

I had a similar story from around when I first started in Elite. I took a mission that wanted me to deliver Slaves (no monetary reward, was purely rep), and I took it, found "Imperial Slaves", bought them, brought them back to the station. It wouldn't let me turn them in.

Turns out "Imperial Slaves" are not the same as just "Slaves" because the Empire allows them and they aren't illegal. I ejected those motherfuckers and blew them up.

Hylian7

I felt like experimenting a bit with my FDL, although the change I'm making isn't major. I switched from Gimballed Pulse Lasers to Fixed. I think the FDL is agile enough where Fixed is viable, even for just RES hunting.

My current build

I have the priorities on modules set where stuff like the Fuel Scoop turns off first. I'm going to play around with it here and see if I can find a way to get something better on my 4 medium hardpoints. I think I'm sticking with the PA for the Huge.

darkwing

is this a bug? supposed to deliver someone in a port in a system but it doesn't exist in the contact list? or in the system map

atpbx

is this a bug? supposed to deliver someone in a port in a system but it doesn't exist in the contact list? or in the system map

You should really have a advanced discover scanner equipped if it's a region you haven't already run through extensively.

Lots of your passenger missions will be this way otherwise.

All you do with the advanced discovery scanner then is scan when you enter the system, and if it's a station it will just come straight up where you need to go, if it's a planetary base it will give you the planet, then you just need to target it on approach for a detailed scan to give you the planet side location.

Also if you are new to passenger missions, ignore ALL new mission objective messages and just take them where they originally wanted to go, also when I say ignore, don't even bother opening the message screen, as if you ignore it, it doesn't register the extra mission objectives.

That way it doesn't matter rhow demanding the passenger is, you just crack on with the original objective.

Hylian7

Oh yeah, is everyone else consistently seeing the bug when you leave a station where you hear the dialog you should hear when landing, followed by the dialog for leaving.

Example: I hit Launch Ship, and it says "Ship locked, initiate system shutdown. Your comfort is our top priority commander. Ship relaxed, please exit the station at your earliest convenience."

Manzoon

Banned
I felt like experimenting a bit with my FDL, although the change I'm making isn't major. I switched from Gimballed Pulse Lasers to Fixed. I think the FDL is agile enough where Fixed is viable, even for just RES hunting.

My current build

I have the priorities on modules set where stuff like the Fuel Scoop turns off first. I'm going to play around with it here and see if I can find a way to get something better on my 4 medium hardpoints. I think I'm sticking with the PA for the Huge.

The first thing I did was get that huge fixed beam laser, that and four gimballed multi-cannons has done me well in PVE. I can slice Eagles in half with that thing. I've liked it so much that I haven't bothered with trying other builds, although I should.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh yeah, is everyone else consistently seeing the bug when you leave a station where you hear the dialog you should hear when landing, followed by the dialog for leaving.

Example: I hit Launch Ship, and it says "Ship locked, initiate system shutdown. Your comfort is our top priority commander. Ship relaxed, please exit the station at your earliest convenience."

Yep, been noticing that myself. Would imagine it's an easy fix, so hopefully it's addressed in the first patch we get for the PS4 version (whenever that is).

darkwing

It might be further out than your Discovery scanner can see. Try scanning the nav beacon.

You should really have a advanced discover scanner equipped if it's a region you haven't already run through extensively.

Lots of your passenger missions will be this way otherwise.

All you do with the advanced discovery scanner then is scan when you enter the system, and if it's a station it will just come straight up where you need to go, if it's a planetary base it will give you the planet, then you just need to target it on approach for a detailed scan to give you the planet side location.

Also if you are new to passenger missions, ignore ALL new mission objective messages and just take them where they originally wanted to go, also when I say ignore, don't even bother opening the message screen, as if you ignore it, it doesn't register the extra mission objectives.

That way it doesn't matter rhow demanding the passenger is, you just crack on with the original objective.

thanks, I may have to buy that scanner

btw when it says unexplored, no player has ever explored it yet?

That way it doesn't matter how demanding the passenger is, you just crack on with the original objective.
Thanks for this. I was juat going to ask about passenger missions. Finally got everything in order to start today. First mission ended poorly, I didn't plan my fuel well and hit 4 purple stars in a row so I couldn't use my scoop -_-

thanks, I may have to buy that scanner

btw when it says unexplored, no player has ever explored it yet?

No, just you. If you look at the star and planets in the system map you can see the name of the person who first discovered it. If there is no name, then you are the first but you usually need to be more than 1000ly away from civilization before that becomes normal.

Atomski

Can I avoid combat in Elite?

I suck at flying aggressively and I'd rather make money by mining etc but the random fights are putting me off.
Eh your are better off exploring if you want to avoid combat. Get out far enough you won't have to deal with anyone.

Mining in this game is probably one of my biggest complaints. They need to push get player crafted items and a player driven economy.

DrBo42

How beginner friendly is this game?

Within its own rules it does kind of a bad job of explaining how everything works. Especially when it comes to mission interaction with Unidentified Signal Sources or various other systems it has in place. Some mechanics you'll never find out about unless you read up on the game. If you're new to something that's a sim in general you might be completely overwhelmed for a bit. So to be blunt, not very friendly. But there are plenty of great tutorials out there for getting started and people here are more than happy to help.

Yesterday I did my very first passenger mission and I thought, man how cool would it be if there are passenger missions with real online people. Like you click in a space station on a specific menu, choose where you want to go, maybe you're too lazy and have to much money or the flight would be too risky for you and you wait until someone accept it. Then you physically sit in the ship together with the pilot and while he flies you can look around and talk with him via mic until you two arrives.

Why is something like this not already in the game? This would be so much fun.

Yesterday I did my very first passenger mission and I thought, man how cool would it be if there are passenger missions with real online people. Like you click in a space station on a specific menu, choose where you want to go, maybe you're too lazy and have to much money or the flight would be too risky for you and you wait until someone accept it. Then you physically sit in the ship together with the pilot and while he flies you can look around and talk with him via mic until you two arrives.

I'd welcome an ability to pay for passage to another location. I know we transport our ships, but why not when we're asleep on board them. Obviously there should be limits - like not while in a mission/with cargo/passengers.

glaurung

I have the PS4 version sitting on my hard drive, waiting to be played. All I did were the training missions, but I'm too scared to go into the game proper. The last time I played this on another platform, I got shot down 4 minutes after first launch.

DrBo42

I'd welcome an ability to pay for passage to another location. I know we transport our ships, but why not when we're asleep on board them. Obviously there should be limits - like not while in a mission/with cargo/passengers.
Yeah, no chance. Not with the community on the official forums wanting time limitations on everything. They even wanted some absurd limitations on the camera given to the gunner in multi-crew. I think they wanted a remote camera to be a physical thing other players could shoot down. *eye roll* Literally any fun mechanic that's added to the game receives flak on there. Ship transfers were initially planned to be an instant thing. If you were out on a trade run and wanted to bring a combat ship out to the local station to take part in a CG or maybe just a cool backdrop for an RES site you could instantly. Until the community screamed and screamed until a vote was taken and these shitty time restrictions were put in place. As helpful as people are in terms of getting new players up to speed it might be one of the worst communities out there when it comes to feedback or openness to fun game design. Everything has to further this time wasting nonsense, nothing can be light and actually serve as just a fun game.

Kyoufu

I have the PS4 version sitting on my hard drive, waiting to be played. All I did were the training missions, but I'm too scared to go into the game proper. The last time I played this on another platform, I got shot down 4 minutes after first launch.

You can play in Solo if you're afraid of being ganked.

WITHE1982

How beginner friendly is this game?

I played it for the first time ever on my PS4 last week and managed to only die 3 times in my first few hours.

There's a massive amount you have to learn at first and It can be extremely intimidating. But after playing through the training scenarios I was confident enough to take on some trading missions without any mishaps. I've since upgraded my ship, completed some bounties, mining and fetch quests.

You will find yourself having to consult forums or online videos quite a bit as the game throws so much at you at first without much explanation. I wouldn't say it's overly difficult or off-putting though.

A prime example is that I was finding docking a complete chore, lining up my ship was akin to key-hole surgery. That is until I figured out that pressing L3 on the ps4 gives you alternate ship controls making lateral movement over a landing pad so much easier.

TBH though once you get flying, docking and plotting courses down then you're pretty much set. The most difficult part is figuring out which of the 100s of jobs you want to do first.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I've been playing on PS4 since Friday on solo and I've only died once. Not even to combat, I just fucked up while docking with Flight Assist off, ended up upside down on someone else's pad and got vaporised for loitering.

While I'm sure I'll get ganked eventually, I wouldn't be too anxious about it to play.

While I'm here: I really wish there were some kind of Flight Path Indicator for surface flight. When I'm gliding in, FA off it'd be nice to know where I'm actually headed.

Yeah, no chance. Not with the community on the official forums wanting time limitations on everything. They even wanted some absurd limitations on the camera given to the gunner in multi-crew. I think they wanted a remote camera to be a physical thing other players could shoot down. *eye roll* Literally any fun mechanic that's added to the game receives flak on there. Ship transfers were initially planned to be an instant thing. If you were out on a trade run and wanted to bring a combat ship out to the local station to take part in a CG or maybe just a cool backdrop for an RES site you could instantly. Until the community screamed and screamed until a vote was taken and these shitty time restrictions were put in place. As helpful as people are in terms of getting new players up to speed it might be one of the worst communities out there when it comes to feedback or openness to fun game design. Everything has to further this time wasting nonsense, nothing can be light and actually serve as just a fun game.

I agree. They are very much of the "no fun allowed" type. QOL changes hit a brick wall there. Some people forget this is just a game and many of us have limited time to enjoy it.

I played it for the first time ever on my PS4 last week and managed to only die 3 times in my first few hours.

I played 3 evenings now, I think about 10 hours, maybe a little bit less and didn't die so far.
Maybe I'm just lucky. ^^
I had a few risky situations where someone started shooting inside of a space station or someone crashed on my landing pad on one of the outside trading stations while I tried to land but neither one of them did damage to me.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there a way to match the mailslot's rotation when entering a space station while you have flight assist on? I did the training mission and struggled to get through because the slot was rotating while I was trying to position myself.

Also is there a way to move sideways while lining up to land? I was hovering over the pad, facing the right way but to the left of the centre spot, had to turn, move myself forward, then turn again before landing. Maybe this would also help me with my issues getting through the mailslot, come to think of it.

Is there a way to match the mailslot's rotation when entering a space station while you have flight assist on? I did the training mission and struggled to get through because the slot was rotating while I was trying to position myself.

Also is there a way to move sideways while lining up to land? I was hovering over the pad, facing the right way but to the left of the centre spot, had to turn, move myself forward, then turn again before landing. Maybe this would also help me with my issues getting through the mailslot, come to think of it.

Match the mailslot rotation - just use roll. Better to have yaw into roll off.

Move sideways - in the default PS4/Xbox settings pushing the left stick button will enable alternate flight controls which change the right stick from yaw to lateral movement.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Match the mailslot rotation - just use roll. Better to have yaw into roll off.

Move sideways - in the default PS4/Xbox settings pushing the left stick button will enable alternate flight controls which change the right stick from yaw to lateral movement.

Thanks - I hadn't realised this. Will make things much easier!

Top Bottom