• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Yeah those are sadly other ships (players or npcs). It'd be sweet if they added comets and such at some point. I can imagine there's someone somewhere who'd be able to find where Hale-bop and Haley's Comet would be in current game year.

joecanada

Yeah, like I said....uncomfortably close...

DvdzeHC.jpg

Look at that magnificent bastard. just the right shape to "wedge" itself in somewhere............

Don't use it on the Orca, it will malfunction and kill you with irritating regularity.

It will work flawlessly on every ship, apart form the Anaconda, which depending on your approach vector will miss the slot and have to shunt itself once, perhaps twice, before getting through the slot.

ah good tip. I don't own an orca yet. on the anaconda though I believe you can just power all to systems and not care........... or maybe I remember that wrong lol could be an expensive test.

oh that is another ship?

this fuel scoop is so good for an E rank

yeah that's probably because you are filling a small tank ;)

damn I can't take my eyes of the screen for one moment to read just slammed into another star

24 more jumps

I don't allow my fuel tank to reach 80% at all

damn I can't take my eyes of the screen for one moment to read just slammed into another star

24 more jumps

I don't allow my fuel tank to reach 80% at all

protip: if you're using a HOTAS, just set your throttle to zero as soon as a jump starts. that way you come out at 30km/s or whatever and run on risk of hard stopping next to a star.

i-Lo

In about 2 months time on PS4, I shall in all likelihood be playing this game. As such, can anyone recommend me a good starter guide for the game?

I am looking to kick back, put on great ambient and jazz tracks in the background as I live out the fantasy NMS promised.

Any and All help will be very appreciated.

In about 2 months time on PS4, I shall in all likelihood be playing this game. As such, can anyone recommend me a good starter guide for the game?

I am looking to kick back, put on great ambient and jazz tracks in the background as I live out the fantasy NMS promised.

Any and All help will be very appreciated.

You don't want to just come back in 2 months time? lol.

The OP should have some good guides in it. They are all still relevant.

Edit: Posts #1 and #2 have a bunch of new player and feature guides.

i-Lo

You don't want to just come back in 2 months time? lol.

The OP should have some good guides in it. They are all still relevant.

Edit: Posts #1 and #2 have a bunch of new player and feature guides.

Thanks. It's just I am on water right now (with limited internet capabilities) and as such was looking for something to read to spend time. I always wanted to get Elite Dangerous after seeing some YT videos but lacking XB1 meant I have had to wait for the PS4 version.

Edit: Does the game support HDR?

Welp, can't get past the log-in screen verification code, it just resets me to the log-in screen over and over again. This a normal issue? I can't find much about it when googling.

Volimar

I can dock manually just fine, but I still enjoy my docking computer just for ease of finding my landing pad lol. In fact, I'll often go through the slot on my own and then throttle back just so it will land for me.

Late Flag

This game really snuck up me. I literally had no idea it was coming to PS4 until a couple of days after launch. Did a little research and figured it was worth a $30 investment.

I'm definitely liking it so far, but good lord is it overwhelming. This is kind of sad, but it took me three tries just to beat the launching/docking tutorial. The tutorial! Even the tutorials in this game don't really explain what you're supposed to be doing. There is absolutely no hand-holding at all. It definitely throws you right into the deep water right off the bat.

I managed to work my way up to a Type 6 by bounty hunting in resource extraction sites. Now I'd like to get some trading going. Again, though, I have no idea how to set up a trading loop, so I will have to do some research on that. And I nearly blew myself up while trying to use my fuel scoop for the first time.

Really nice game. Steep learning curve.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
DEAIi0vVYAA8rR8.jpg

holy shit this is how long it will take for my little sidewinder to come join me o_O

I need it for some of the stuff I plan to get into here

It makes sense if you think about it. I can only imagine it gets loaded on some space equivalent of a car transporter.

Do some hauling while you wait for it to arrive, make up for the delivery cost.

If you're going to be doing hauling. Check out eddb.io

It's a fantastic way to figure out what goods are needed, and where, and how to maximize your profit.

Peroroncino

Flying full wing in a private group is amazing, no interference from randoms during bounty hunting is a game changer, in about 1 hour of HazRES in LHS 3447 [CG] we earned enough to get into top 25%, lmao. Guess I'm gonna get all those CG TOP10% after all.

Oh shit, I clicked on "Galactic Ranking List" for the very first time and I'm totally overwhelmed.

Help? Explanations? Who should I choose?

calder

Docking computers? I don't think those were a thing when I played for a month way back when. Besides, the actual flying is the best part of the game, I loved docking.

I think I need to buy this on PS4 so I can experience the Horizons stuff. See how the PS4 likes the Thrustmaster. ;)

anyone have any experience with a PS4 USB flight stick that would work well with this game?

If I am going to learn docking, I better try to invest in better controls

You don't necessarily have to A rate everything, depends on what you're planning. D rated equipment is the lightest, so max distance trade and exploration ships usually have a lot of D stuff still, like thrusters and life support.

thanks I plan to do a lot of research on this later, I just needed a starter to do some trades

Bashtee

Second day in the game, don't have so many issues with landing anymore. Threw out my shield for loading capacity and the hangar for fuel. Closing in on 1.4 mio CR. Not sure if I should upgrade my frameshiftdrive and get more cash or just buy my first ship. Suggestions?

Second day in the game, don't have so many issues with landing anymore. Threw out my shield for loading capacity and the hangar for fuel. Closing in on 1.4 mio CR. Not sure if I should upgrade my frameshiftdrive and get more cash or just buy my first ship. Suggestions?

You have 1.5M CR?

Time to go Cobra.

Great cargo capacity, good combat capability, and one of the fastest ships in the game.

Also, congrats on getting gud on landing. It's like riding a bike, really. Once you get the hang you're good. Some of our CMDRs need to take off the training wheels... :-/

Nope.

Fuck transfer times. You can thank the community for that engaging bit of gameplay.

I would love to hear the back story for how this came to be but I'm not really mad at it, I'll only be mad if the community starts a campaign to take away my Docking Computer

I am happy I stuck with it, I think I'm gonna love this grind

I am going to go read the lore again because I read it like a year ago I need to see if I want to role-play at all

I would love to hear the back story for how this came to be but I'm not really mad at it, I'll only be mad if the community starts a campaign to take away my Docking Computer

I am happy I stuck with it, I think I'm gonna love this grind

I am going to go read the lore again because I read it like a year ago I need to see if I want to role-play at all

Frontier decided they wanted to add a quality of life feature to allow players to manage their fleets better and be able to use their ships when they wanted to as they saw fit.

One of the roadblocks to regular access of your fleet was a lack of a way to transfer your ships to a different station so you could have access to them. For example, if all your combat ships were in Evarate, but you had flown 200LY away to Kamadhenu on a trade run and saw a combat zone you really wanted to jump into for a change of pace or something, you would basically have to fly that 200LY *back* to Evarate, then 200LY *back* to Kamadhenu to do your fighting. That's like...an hour or more of "thrilling" (sleep-inducing) of flight time, so people would just sigh and go back to trading or whatever.

So, FDev's solution was to add transfers which would be instant and allow you to quickly get your hands on any ship in your fleet. Well some in the community didn't like the idea because it "broke their immersion". How could da ships travel dat fast!?! Universe broken! Others were concerned that it would be exploited by PvP focused players to seal-club (kill new players or defenseless players) more frequently and with impunity.

Eventually, FDev decided to leave it to the community to decide to which they preferred via an email survey response request that went out. The majority of respondents said they preferred a time delay on ship transfer. So that's what they gave us. So now we have to wait minutes or hours to move ships around and lots of potential gameplay opportunities were left on the cutting room floor in order to preserve "immersion".

So now we get exciting gameplay that includes logging out of ED and playing something else while you wait real minutes/hours to gain access to the ship you wanted.

Whether your "immersion" is made better with having to wait on your ship(s) to arrive or not is a matter of personal preference. Some people need it apparently, some people would prefer it to have been instant. As such, the worth of the current implementation will vary wildly from person to person.

DrkSage

Does anyone know a system where I can find metallic rings near ce bootis? Gotta deliver 6 osmium to 37 xi bootis but turns out I got the wrong rings here in CE.(metal rich)

I really really like this timed delay.
A feature like this needs to have some kind of restriction and a timed one is a cool solution.

You can get our ship but you have to wait 30 minutes until it's transported to your station, fine, then I go and do some other mission for 30 minutes until the package arrives. It fits perfectly to the game and the universe.

It's still a deep space simulation, if you would not have this kind of restriction, it would feel very odd and out of place to the rest of the game.

I like it, it helps the immersion and the game in general. Fight me.

Does anyone know a system where I can find metallic rings near ce bootis? Gotta deliver 6 osmium to 37 xi bootis but turns out I got the wrong rings here in CE.(metal rich)

http://edtools.ddns.net/?s=ce%20bootis

gl, CMDR

o7

I really really like this timed delay.
A feature like this needs to have some kind of restriction and a timed one is a cool solution.

You can get our ship but you have to wait 30 minutes until it's transported to your station, fine, then I go and do some other mission for 30 minutes until the package arrives. It fits perfectly to the game and the universe.

It's still a deep space simulation, if you would not have this kind of restriction, it would feel very odd and out of place to the rest of the game.

I like it, it helps the immersion and the game in general. Fight me.
I'm certainly not interested in fighting you, though if you'd like to engage in some PvP, I'll be sure to bring the best of my 31 ship-fleet for the occasion.

That said...out of curiosity, are you bothered by the:

- instant unloading or loading of tens or hundreds of tons of cargo
- instant hull upgrades and replacements
- instant module and hardpoint switching
- instant reloading of ammunition
- instant refuling at Outposts/Stations
- instant Engineering equipment upgrades
- instant processing of mined minerals
- instant ship destruction respawns that can in some cases (Explorers) take you literally 20,000LY at the click of a button?
- free storage space for 1,000 materials, no matter what size ship you have, that transfers to whatever ship you're flying at the time instantly?

I ask because all of the above are happen literally as fast as you can click a button and are clearly out of step with any sort of "immersion". In fact, what even is "immersion" in a game where we're above to go literally hundreds of multiples of C?

I always wonder where the cognitive dissonance begins and ends for individuals when it comes to stuff like this. You may have a problem with all of the above. Or maybe you casually ignore all of it? If the above are all okay, why are they okay if immersion is important to you? Why do you not want to wait a few weeks for a hull upgrade across your massive ship? A few hours to unload 200T of cargo? 45 minutes for refuling your 16T tank? 10 minutes to swap out your multicannon ammo or change the crystal in your lasers? A few months for a ship to retrieve that Explorer who ran out of gas on the other side of the Great Annihilator? If these immersion-breaking features don't bother you, why don't they? Why don't you want to "fight" for the addition of those immersion-improving time delays?

Frontier decided they wanted to add a quality of life feature to allow players to manage their fleets better and be able to use their ships when they wanted to as they saw fit.

One of the roadblocks to regular access of your fleet was a lack of a way to transfer your ships to a different station so you could have access to them. For example, if all your combat ships were in Evarate, but you had flown 200LY away to Kamadhenu on a trade run and saw a combat zone you really wanted to jump into for a change of pace or something, you would basically have to fly that 200LY *back* to Evarate, then 200LY *back* to Kamadhenu to do your fighting. That's like...an hour or more of "thrilling" (sleep-inducing) of flight time, so people would just sigh and go back to trading or whatever.

So, FDev's solution was to add transfers which would be instant and allow you to quickly get your hands on any ship in your fleet. Well some in the community didn't like the idea because it "broke their immersion". How could da ships travel dat fast!?! Universe broken! Others were concerned that it would be exploited by PvP focused players to seal-club (kill new players or defenseless players) more frequently and with impunity.

Eventually, FDev decided to leave it to the community to decide to which they preferred via an email survey response request that went out. The majority of respondents said they preferred a time delay on ship transfer. So that's what they gave us. So now we have to wait minutes or hours to move ships around and lots of potential gameplay opportunities were left on the cutting room floor in order to preserve "immersion".

So now we get exciting gameplay that includes logging out of ED and playing something else while you wait real minutes/hours to gain access to the ship you wanted.

Whether your "immersion" is made better with having to wait on your ship(s) to arrive or not is a matter of personal preference. Some people need it apparently, some people would prefer it to have been instant. As such, the worth of the current implementation will vary wildly from person to person.

thanks for this, I agree with you. After flying 60 jumps now I am at a place where I don't qualify for trading yet, but I am being offered combat. If I had that little sidewinder I could go risk it lol.

I guess I'll just build my fleet up slowly. Do you know what the ship owning cap is?

Top Bottom