• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

hobozero

Man, I love the fragment cannons. Nothing beats whittling down an enemy's shields with the pulse lasers, closing in to unload both barrels and watching the chunks come off his health. Bounty hunting is more fun than I thought.

I named my Viper the Shotgun Boogie for precisely this reason. Also because I've started on a theme: my courier/minibus Adder is the Wild Goose. Two points to whoever guesses what I'm going to call my mining ship once I've got it.

(also, there's nothing like a police scanner module is there? I wish there were a way to find wanted dudes without hanging out at nav beacons or flying around trawling for signals)

Go see one of the engineers and get Double Shot on those shotguns. Its like having 2 double-barrel shotguns strapped to your ship :)

You can find lots of wanted prey at a Resource Extraction Site or RES. Head to any planet with rings and you will typically see several sites you can visit, ranging from "Low" to "Hazardous". This indicates the difficulty of enemies there and the police presence.

You will see miners doing their thing, security forces hanging around, and lots of wanted pirates. Just don't shoot the cops. Like, at all, even by accident.

I just use the Dolphin if there are luxury passengers on board, the ASP Explorer has a higher ly range than the dolphin? I can reach 24 ly with my Dolphin (without engineer mods)

yup, I have the Advanced sensor in all my ships
Yeah I'm out of town with no internet but my phone so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure you can get into the 30s. My type 6 is at 22.

This made me buy horizons. I found guys doing 70 with engineered ships while searching.

StonedRider

Do you mean all currently installed modules get sold automatically along with the ship?

Yes, but if you sell ship with modules, you sell modules for 10% lower (like the ship), if nothing has changed since winter. When you sell modules separately, you sell them for full price.

Seeing all this activity in the thread I am tempted to return back to cockpit too. I need to work on Empire rank to buy this Cutter

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming you're green to ED right? So you should probably focus on doing 2 gimbaled multicannons and gimbaled 1 pulse, that should do the trick on just about everything of a similar size. As for your defenses, this might be out of your budget but getting a bi-weave shied in there, Your internals should probably be upgraded in accordance to what the biggest power plant you can afford is, also power distributor is a must have for combat as it will keep your weapons and engine supplied with capacitor. Also keep in mind that eagle won't take you very far and you should probably ditch it for a viper 3 asap.

As for maneuverability, just make sure you're using your lateral thrusters and don't forget about your boost, you can use it to reposition really fast but if you don't have much experience controlling it or understanding its behavior it's likely it will just throw you in a direction really hard lol.

I've not flown an Eagle recently so this is pure theorycraft, but maybe something like this

I'm assuming no engineering and no enhanced thrusters from the engineer Prof. Palin. (the enhanced thrusters allow some very fast but very weak builds).

I'd recommend using multicannon since they don't drain your WEP energy as fast as lasers. This means you can put more pips to ENG and maintain your manoeuvrability.

I've gone with bi-weave shields since they are cheaper than class As. Your shields are trash in an Eagle, but bi-weaves will ensure the shields can recharge quickly when they go down. On the other hand, bi-weaves need a lot of SYS pips to make use of their fast recharge rate, so a class-A shield might be better if you want to keep max power to engines.

My theorycraft fighting technique in an Eagle would be to boost past your opponent then blue-zone the throttle with 4 pips to ENG and out turn your enemy. You should be able to get some shots in before they can complete their turn, at which point you boost past them again. This assumes you're attacking a Cobra, Asp, Adder or some other less nimble ship. I'd avoid fighting Vipers since they can manoeuvre about as fast as you and have a lot more firepower.
Don't attack big ships with turrets (unless they're nearly dead from fighting police-ships). And use the chaff when under fire from gimballed weapons.

That's awesome, thank you!

another glitch has stopped all my progress the SRV data link scanner refuses to work

I have looked at a lot of forum posts about this issue, with so many different fixes nothing works

I need some sleep then I'll go try again

Lol, after all the talk about docking computer, I decided to use one for the delivery community goals and look what happened just 24 hours later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJAlzuKlMVE

Don't look away while using it.

I see what you did there. XD

Do not request docking until you have stoped your ship at ZERO stand still before it kicks in.

You were already moving pretty fast before it kicked it so the momentum knocks the auto-pilot off.

speaking of which, I feel I will soon be able to dock on my own in a few days. I played 8 hours straight just getting use to the controls. finally got to the point were it all makes sense. I won't be moving like to Docking Computer but I feel my skill is improving

Just got to keep grinding

Peroroncino

another glitch has stopped all my progress the SRV data link scanner refuses to work

I have looked at a lot of forum posts about this issue, with so many different fixes nothing works

I need some sleep then I'll go try again

Datal link scanner only works for me when I'm in the turret mode, did you try scanning it like that?

Lol, after all the talk about docking computer, I decided to use one for the delivery community goals and look what happened just 24 hours later.

1s2avp.jpg

Datal link scanner only works for me when I'm in the turret mode, did you try scanning it like that?

trust me I read like 20 threads in the last 8 hours trying to get it to work, that is why my flying got so much better. I had to land on the planet like 50 times to try the scanner and yes I tried every thing they posted

turret mode was already something I knew I had to do before I found out I was glitched

Peroroncino

trust me I read like 20 threads in the last 8 hours trying to get it to work, that is why my flying got so much better. I had to land on the planet like 50 times to try the scanner and yes I tried every thing they posted

turret mode was already something I knew I had to do before I found out I was glitched

Well that sucks, hope they fix it.

Anyway, that weird feeling when a fucking SIDEWINDER tries to ram you and... well, see for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MpFBg2VyTg

when he started spinning like crazy on the hologram I thought I'll pop from laughter

Make sure the scanner is assigned to a fire group

Hylian7

Okay, I have come around on fighters now. I was doing RES farming last night in my Anaconda and tried taking control of the fighter to drop the shields. It is quite effective. Even enough the AI isn't nearly as effective at managing my Anaconda as I am, just having a body there doing something helps. I can usually take the shields down quickly enough to then take control of the Anaconda myself and finish the ship off. The fighter does get destroyed occasionally, but fortunately there's the respawn time for it, and it's pretty quick.

LMAO

Makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw

Listonosh

So I figured I'd do some bounty hunting in the system I'm in especially for the community goals, so I bought one of those Wanted Scanners (name?) and so far I'm having trouble understanding its point. It takes forever to scan someone, and by the time it does, I already have a readout on the left side telling me if they're wanted or not. I was hoping this was going to help me tap into the Galactic Federation's Wanted List and maybe show me bounties in my contacts, but so far not the case.

Peroroncino

So I figured I'd do some bounty hunting in the system I'm in especially for the community goals, so I bought one of those Wanted Scanners (name?) and so far I'm having trouble understanding its point. It takes forever to scan someone, and by the time it does, I already have a readout on the left side telling me if they're wanted or not. I was hoping this was going to help me tap into the Galactic Federation's Wanted List and maybe show me bounties in my contacts, but so far not the case.

Scanning with that thing more often than not boosts the reward for killing wanted enemies.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...

K Warrant scanner shows you if they have bounties in other systems. For extra dosh.

The basic scan tells you if they are wanted in the system you are in.

The Kill Warrant Scanner (once they are scanned, takes 10 seconds) will also tell you if they are wanted in other systems. I can at times significantly increase the amount of credits you earn for a kill.

For example, they could have a 10,000 credit bounty in the system you killed them in but a 100,000 credit bounty in another that you'd also get since you KWS'd them.

That said, they MUST be wanted in the local system in order for you not to get wanted if you attack them.

If you scan a "clean" target and see they have bounties but not in the system you are in, if you attack them the local system police will consider that a crime. This does not apply in anarchy systems.

Listonosh

Scanning with that thing more often than not boosts the reward for killing wanted enemies.

K Warrant scanner shows you if they have bounties in other systems. For extra dosh.

The basic scan tells you if they are wanted in the system you are in.

The Kill Warrant Scanner (once they are scanned, takes 10 seconds) will also tell you if they are wanted in other systems. I can at times significantly increase the amount of credits you earn for a kill.

For example, they could have a 10,000 credit bounty in the system you killed them in but a 100,000 credit bounty in another that you'd also get since you KWS'd them.

That said, they MUST be wanted in the local system in order for you not to get wanted if you attack them.

If you scan a "clean" target and see they have bounties but not in the system you are in, if you attack them the local system police will consider that a crime. This does not apply in anarchy systems.

Oooooh! Thanks for the replies! Ok, that is actually pretty damn useful, now that I know how to use it. I feel like the game does a pretty bad job at explaining its use, considering I had no idea how to go about it =P

Good thing you told me about the "clean" thing though because I'm sure I would have opened fire on them if I saw that they were Wanted somewhere else.

I have a Cobra MKIII at the moment and will get around 7 million credits from the community events, what should I buy next?

It depends on what you do, but the next all purpose ship would be the ASP X. I can't say enough good things about the ASP X. You can't go wrong with it.

I have a Cobra MKIII at the moment and will get around 7 million credits from the community events, what should I buy next?

Depends on what you want to do. I would suggest for hauling and stuff look at a type 6 or Keelback. A good all-rounder would be the Asp series. If you start the faction grind a Fed Dropship or Imp Courier should be good targets

Thank you, I think I go for the Allrounder First, Like the Cobra and next a ship for hauling so that I can switch if I do community goals.

Man, I had not that much time so far for upgrading things, money rolls so I switch from ship to ship in the last days, hope I'm not missing some important things here.

I went:

Sidewinder>Cobra>ASP X>FDL(only for a bit)>Python.

I plan on keeping my Python until I have the rep for a Corvette. I'm only like a Warrant Officer, so I still have a lot to grind. I prefer all-purpose ships that way I don't have to worry about switching and I can just put all my upgrades into one.

Make sure the scanner is assigned to a fire group

Yup :( I really did read every thing about this topic, I spent 8 hours on it and still have not slept yet been really down lately and I was hoping to grind my issues away so instead spent most of last night reading forum threads at the official site, and watching youtube videos and flying back to the same planet same mission trying the new set ups and new fixes I read about none worked

As soon as I go to sleep some of the missions that I had wanting on this scanner are going to be timed out

do you lose you Rep with someone if you Abandon missions?

last night I grind credits just to pay these guys 200,000-300,000CR at a time to get to CORDIAL level so I can access these scan missions, I deleted a few after the scanner did not work and my rank went down or I had a corrupted save while they had a 40 minute server downtime

so I am not sure if abandoning the missions cause the lost of Rep or not saving but I wasted like 600,000CR

so if I go to sleep and this first one times out I'll know the answer if the rep drops
DED6CEDUwAIc_Ah.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
In the Galaxy Map, is there a filter or indicator for range? In the old Elites, they had big circle showing you how far you could jump.

it's over

So I should have a crap ton of dosh* when I get on tonight...? I was in the top 75% when I left it. How comfortably, I dunno.

*crap ton of dosh = anything over 200k.

Hylian7

Also for free on PS4.

Now for the main dilemma... Python or FDL?

FDL is strictly a combat vessel, Python is a great all-round ship.
This.

Personally, FDL is my favorite ship to fly.

Also I'm finding that my Anaconda is more effective at RES hunting than my FDL, because I can generally stay longer with the Anaconda. Is there some way I can build my FDL to stay longer at a Hazardous RES? My weapon load out is Huge fixed Beam Laser, and four medium gimballed multicannons. I think the biggest issue is shields though. I have Bi-weave with two A boosters, two sets of SCBs (with accompanying heat sinks). Is this the most effective I'm gonna get at RES hunting and from there it's a matter of just practice and skill, or is there a way I can make my FDL more effective for this purpose?

Kyoufu

This.

Also I'm finding that my Anaconda is more effective at RES hunting than my FDL, because I can generally stay longer with the Anaconda. Is there some way I can build my FDL to stay longer at a Hazardous RES? My weapon load out is Huge fixed Beam Laser, and four medium gimballed multicannons. I think the biggest issue is shields though. I have Bi-weave with two A boosters, two sets of SCBs (with accompanying heat sinks). Is this the most effective I'm gonna get at RES hunting and from there it's a matter of just practice and skill, or is there a way I can make my FDL more effective for this purpose?

You can Engineer mod your FDL to become totally unstoppable in a HazRES. Rapid fire Pulse lasers, incendiary or whatever Multi-Cannon and modded Bi-Weave Shield + 4 boosters and then you've got a huge shield that NPCs won't penetrate with the firepower to melt them quickly. That's what I'm aiming for.

edit: double post sorry

Hylian7

You can Engineer mod your FDL to become totally unstoppable in a HazRES. Rapid fire Pulse lasers, incendiary or whatever Multi-Cannon and modded Bi-Weave Shield + 4 boosters and then you've got a huge shield that NPCs won't penetrate with the firepower to melt them quickly. That's what I'm aiming for.

edit: double post sorry
Guess I have to go look into the engineering grind for those things.

Hylian7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfG6991obSc

your daily reminder that it's not the ship; it's how you use it.
I figured that was a factor for sure.

Ships help though :p

FDL is a god for sure, but I just need staying power for the RES, looking into engineering though.

They did make engineering where they only ask for stuff that can be carried in your inventory and not on ship cargo, right?

I have to travel a good distance to any of the engineers, and I certainly hope their bases have shipyards. Probably going to take me Asp Explorer out there, and have my FDL delivered. I can take the FDL on the hunt for mats.

Manzoon

Banned
This.

As much as I love my FdL, I love flying my Anaconda in HazRES because I get to use a fighter. Unfortunately the hired AI is goddamn terrible and if I'm going after two ships, by time I finish one in the fighter, the Anaconda has its shields depleted and is taking hull damage.

I don't really want to hire an Elite pilot, but if they aren't totally incompetent then I might have to. Is multi-crew still busted on the payouts being tied to your rank?

Hylian7

As much as I love my FdL, I love flying my Anaconda in HazRES because I get to use a fighter. Unfortunately the hired AI is goddamn terrible and if I'm going after two ships, by time I finish one in the fighter, the Anaconda has its shields depleted and is taking hull damage.

I don't really want to hire an Elite pilot, but if they aren't totally incompetent then I might have to. Is multi-crew still busted on the payouts being tied to your rank?
When I take my Anaconda out, I take control of the fighter to drop my target's shields (dual beam laser), then switch back to controlling the Anaconda to do the rest of the job. The only reason I need an AI pilot is just to have someone moving the ship to keep up with me. If he loses the fighter while I am in the Anaconda, no big deal since it will respawn soon.

Are these gimballed cannons like shotguns and do I have to fly real close to the other ship?
I use 2 in my Cobra and have the feeling that these things make zero damage and zero impact.

Hylian7

Are these gimballed cannons like shotguns and do I have to fly real close to the other ship?
I use 2 in my Cobra and have the feeling that these things make zero damage and zero impact.
They fragment cannons are the ones more like shotguns. The cannons basically shoot a projectile that moves fairly slow, so you do need to be somewhat close and the faster ships can boost so your lead is inaccurate.

Manzoon

Banned
When I take my Anaconda out, I take control of the fighter to drop my target's shields (dual beam laser), then switch back to controlling the Anaconda to do the rest of the job. The only reason I need an AI pilot is just to have someone moving the ship to keep up with me. If he loses the fighter while I am in the Anaconda, no big deal since it will respawn soon.

In a perfect world this is what would happen, but if I'm trying to take down an Elite FAS or something of that caliber, the pilot in my Anaconda will just sit there and turret around to face it while getting hammered. The shields will usually hold if it's just one ship, but man the hired AI seems dumb as a brick. Two ships and they might as well just not be at the helm. Giving them the fighter just makes me lose fighter reloads.

Conflict zones are also a poor choice for these hired pilots.

They fragment cannons are the ones more like shotguns. The cannons basically shoot a projectile that moves fairly slow, so you do need to be somewhat close and the faster ships can boost so your lead is inaccurate.

Oh damn, I think I bought the wrong weapons. :D

Top Bottom