• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

thanks for this, I agree with you. After flying 60 jumps now I am at a place where I don't qualify for trading yet, but I am being offered combat. If I had that little sidewinder I could go risk it lol.

I guess I'll just build my fleet up slowly. Do you know what the ship owning cap is?

There is no cap for ship owning, but you can "only" have 35 ships per station.

I have I think 31 ships at one station and 2 or 3 scattered about, including my original Sidewinder which is parked in Evarate where I started and which I have not seen since I left starter space in a Vulture to pursue my dream of owning an Imperial Clipper which was discounted for a Community Goal 2+ years ago.

Random aside: I currently reside in Kamadhenu where I was once associated with Arissa's PowerPlay faction. I just never found a new place that looked like home. I've been here for nearly 1.5 years.

I really wanted to move to Van Mannen's Star, as it is the ONLY system in the galaxy that has a white dwarf as its main star and a station less than 100Ls from it. It has a helluva view when going into and out of the station, plus its one of those stations with the plush interior.

UNFORTUNATELY, the main (only) Starport does not have a shipyard, so you can't hold any ships there. If I could, that's the one place I've been to that I'd move all of my fleet immediately to live in. I could live the next system over, but it's just not the same, you know? I keep asking FDev to consider giving that station a Shipyard via Community Goal or otherwise, but so far nada. I'm sad every time I think about moving there because I really want to but...FDev gonna FDev.

There is no cap for ship owning, but you can "only" have 35 ships per station.

I have I think 31 ships at one station and 2 or 3 scattered about, including my original Sidewinder which is parked in Evarate where I started and which I have not seen since I left starter space in a Vulture to pursue my dream of owning an Imperial Clipper which was discounted for a Community Goal 2+ years ago.

Random aside: I currently reside in Kamadhenu where I was once associated with Arissa's PowerPlay faction. I just never found a new place that looked like home. I've been here for nearly 1.5 years.

I really wanted to move to Van Mannen's Star, as it is the ONLY system in the galaxy that has a white dwarf as its main star and a station less than 100Ls from it. It has a helluva view when going into and out of the station, plus its one of those stations with the plush interior.

UNFORTUNATELY, the main (only) Starport does not have a shipyard, so you can't hold any ships there. If I could, that's the one place I've been to that I'd move all of my fleet immediately to live in. I could live the next system over, but it's just not the same, you know? I keep asking FDev to consider giving that station a Shipyard via Community Goal or otherwise, but so far nada. I'm sad every time I think about moving there because I really want to but...FDev gonna FDev.

dude you are a great source of info, I'll have to go bookmark those places and see if I can visit

people who warned me not to come to Quince were right, there is nothing else out here lol
but the money is still really high

I am going to find a good place to make home as soon as I have enough credits

I am glad this is not GTAV Online where you can pay cash money for in game cash
If the devs do this I would be in bad shape, that is why I left Eve Online it was costing me a fortune so I am happy I can't purchase credits here

dude you are a great source of info, I'll have to go bookmark those places and see if I can visit

1,700 hours or so in the game affords a certain...knowledge. Been there done everything everyone here is about to do. I try to be as helpful as possible when I see the thread bumped. I'm always happy to answer questions. :"3

And unfortunately, Van Mannen's Star is permit-locked, meaning you have to become an Ally of the minor faction, "Sublime Order of Van Mannen's Star". Which you certainly can do if you were so inclined.

But even if you do, sadly you can't really live there. No shipyard. It feels bad man. I can't recommend all that effort to get allied (it's a good number of missions to do) just to see the system. But for me it's sort of like going to Disneyland. It's where you want to be, but when the park closes you have to leave :(

Hylian7

Well I am in an awkward situation that I have somehow never encountered in my 2+ years of playing. My sensors were destroyed in a fight and I'm going back to the station, I'm at the station, try to go to contacts to request landing....and there's nothing there. No contacts in range. Wtf am I supposed to do now? I tried Reboot/Repair, but nothing. Do I just do it again until I get Sensors repaired?

Figured it out, I had to go turn the sensors on after the reboot/repair.

Bashtee

You have 1.5M CR?

Time to go Cobra.

Great cargo capacity, good combat capability, and one of the fastest ships in the game.

Also, congrats on getting gud on landing. It's like riding a bike, really. Once you get the hang you're good. Some of our CMDRs need to take off the training wheels... :-/

Thanks for the tip! Upgraded the capacity and FSD and I'm back at 1.4M CR, so it already paid for itself.

Oh my god a controller feels so much better. Here's hoping the pc version can simulate the ps4 controls perfectly. Altough there's a certain charm in playing with a controller and using the keyboard for other stuff.

Kyoufu

Where can I hand in my Empire and Alliance bounties near Rakapila? I recall finding a station that had some universal contact option to turn in all bounties but I could have been dreaming.

edit: found it, Bolg system which has a station with Broker Contact for interstellar factors.

akira28

We need more ships. And more focus on the fighting, not the weapons or balance, but more authentic reasons and ways to fight both factions and PvP.

Where can I hand in my Empire and Alliance bounties near Rakapila? I recall finding a station that had some universal contact option to turn in all bounties but I could have been dreaming.

edit: found it, Bolg system which has a station with Broker Contact for interstellar factors.

Low security systems let you universally pay off fines and turn in bounties ( minus a %).

Is the Type 6 a good mining ship?
I tried with mine for a minute. The cargo space is good. I tried with my adder the first time and didn't realize the drones take up cargo space -_-
I'm using it for shipping and passengers now so if you hate mining you can at least make a change easily.

Manzoon

Banned
anyone have any experience with a PS4 USB flight stick that would work well with this game?

I have the previous version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PJ68BK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and it is surprisingly high quality for an entry level stick. That will work for PC as well, which is a nice bonus. For some reason that one is $70 and the PS3/PC one that I have is only $50, I guess there is a 'new' surcharge there.

Edit: Missed Retro Edge suggesting that stick, didn't know it was the only option for PS4, haha.

We need more ships. And more focus on the fighting, not the weapons or balance, but more authentic reasons and ways to fight both factions and PvP.
We need bigger ships. I want my massive warship. Then if they added waifus I could finally role play my own space opera!

...err...but yeah the combat stuff sounds cool too...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahah that video was hilarious, and as a new player, it hits close to home :p

Thanks! It was my buddy's driving, but I'd be lying if I said that hasn't happened to me a few times.
Last night I went ahead and re-mapped landing gear/cargo scoop to Triangle+down/up respectively.

Do you mean all currently installed modules get sold automatically along with the ship?
If you want to store modules, do you need to do it manually, or is there an option for that?

Think I'll make my first ship upgrade after cashing in from the CGs tonight.
If I want to putt around doing bounties for a bit longer, should I grab an Eagle or a Viper?

Kyoufu

Well, I sold my Vulture and bought a Fer-De-Lance. Only modules I still need to buy for it are the 6A Power Plant and the 4A Multi-Cannon which I'll hunt down tomorrow when the CG monies come in. Looking forward to giving it a spin in some HazRes afterwards.

Well, I sold my Vulture and bought a Fer-De-Lance. Only modules I still need to buy for it are the 6A Power Plant and the 4A Multi-Cannon which I'll hunt down tomorrow when the CG monies come in. Looking forward to giving it a spin in some HazRes afterwards.

FDL is fun, but I hate how limiting it is. I traded it in for a Python, so I can do other stuff.

darkwing

Thanks! It was my buddy's driving, but I'd be lying if I said that hasn't happened to me a few times.
Last night I went ahead and re-mapped landing gear/cargo scoop to Triangle+down/up respectively.

Do you mean all currently installed modules get sold automatically along with the ship?
If you want to store modules, do you need to do it manually, or is there an option for that?

Think I'll make my first ship upgrade after cashing in from the CGs tonight.
If I want to putt around doing bounties for a bit longer, should I grab an Eagle or a Viper?

yes, installed modules get sold automatically along with the ship, you need to store them manually

get a Viper

Soi-Fong

I let my co-worker take off my full-spec Vulture inside the station and they proceed to immediately shoot at the ships inside. Suffice it to say, it did not end well and the station destroyed the ship and I'm 300k poorer... lol

Next time, I'll just use the tutorial to show the game to co-workers. lol

Kyoufu

FDL is fun, but I hate how limiting it is. I traded it in for a Python, so I can do other stuff.

I'll be using other ships as well. Next ship purchase will probably be an Asp Explorer. With the ability to transfer ships now I don't mind FDL's limited purpose.

Soi-Fong

I'll be using other ships as well. Next ship purchase will probably be an Asp Explorer. With the ability to transfer ships now I don't mind FDL's limited purpose.

Someday, I'll be able to afford the FDL... lol I'm sitting at around 18 mil right now together with my fully-equipped Vulture.

darkwing

some updates from Space Uber

I have a Dolphin for my UberX and T-6 for Uber Economy, it's going on nicely, looking for forward to buy something for Uber Bus, any recommendations?

shmoglish

Is it possible to see how long Ive played the game (Ps4)?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was already a whole day since last friday 🙈.

My Viper is almost fully equipped and I think I will start my carrer as Bounty hunter now.

some updates from Space Uber

I have a Dolphin for my UberX and T-6 for Uber Economy, it's going on nicely, looking for forward to buy something for Uber Bus, any recommendations?
I mean honestly unless your role-playing you could use either one you already have. I'm using the t-6 for all my passenger needs. I just store modules I'm not using.
The big ASP explorer is a good choice though. That jump distance helps a ton.

Are you using a good sensor for all the jumps you're doing? I made 750,000 in just exploration data for just a quick sight seeing mission. "Quick" was still an hour long journey but on top of a 3 mill payout that's pretty good.

darkwing

I mean honestly unless your role-playing you could use either one you already have. I'm using the t-6 for all my passenger needs. I just store modules I'm not using.
The big ASP explorer is a good choice though. That jump distance helps a ton.

Are you using a good sensor for all the jumps you're doing? I made 750,000 in just exploration data for just a quick sight seeing mission. "Quick" was still an hour long journey but on top of a 3 mill payout that's pretty good.

I just use the Dolphin if there are luxury passengers on board, the ASP Explorer has a higher ly range than the dolphin? I can reach 24 ly with my Dolphin (without engineer mods)

yup, I have the Advanced sensor in all my ships

Vorheez

I have decided to become a brave explorer... But I need help. How do I scan planets? Lol

Also, is fuel scooping difficult, or will I catch on quick?

Is anyone here doing the delivery community challenge in Rakapila? How much do you need for top 50%? I'm still at 75% with around 300 delivered things.

I have decided to become a brave explorer... But I need help. How do I scan planets? Lol

Also, is fuel scooping difficult, or will I catch on quick?

To scan a planet you just target it, point towards it and it will start scanning once you get within range (the smaller the planet the closer you have to get).
If you have a detailed surface scanner, you get more details about the planet (and more money).
It's pretty boring, which is why a lot of explorers are pressuring Frontier to improve the exploration mechanics in the v3.0 updates.

Fuel scooping just requires you to fly close to a O, B, A, F, G, K or M class star (the class is given in the system map, star map and as a message when you initiate your jump)

Having a good power plant means you can get closer to a star without overheating. And some ships run hotter than others. Most of the time you are safe just flying slowly towards the star until the scoop rate maxes out, then come to a full stop and wait. Just keep an eye on the temperature gauge, especially around hotter stars.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for an Eagle loadout specifically for some light bounty hunting? I loved them in Frontier and they look even more awesome now, they're just weak as piss when under fire.

Also, any tips on making the most out of their manoeuvrability in a dogfight?

Is anyone here doing the delivery community challenge in Rakapila? How much do you need for top 50%? I'm still at 75% with around 300 delivered things.
I hit top 10 at around 3k tons delivered. Can't speak for 50 anymore, I hit that a few days back, and it's surely gone up by now. (... And I don't remember)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Any tips for an Eagle loadout specifically for some light bounty hunting? I loved them in Frontier and they look even more awesome now, they're just weak as piss when under fire.

I'm assuming you're green to ED right? So you should probably focus on doing 2 gimbaled multicannons and gimbaled 1 pulse, that should do the trick on just about everything of a similar size. As for your defenses, this might be out of your budget but getting a bi-weave shied in there, Your internals should probably be upgraded in accordance to what the biggest power plant you can afford is, also power distributor is a must have for combat as it will keep your weapons and engine supplied with capacitor. Also keep in mind that eagle won't take you very far and you should probably ditch it for a viper 3 asap.

As for maneuverability, just make sure you're using your lateral thrusters and don't forget about your boost, you can use it to reposition really fast but if you don't have much experience controlling it or understanding its behavior it's likely it will just throw you in a direction really hard lol.

Donos

How bad is the PS4 Pro performance (Tearing)?. This game seems to be all i need to loose 500hours of my free time and i'm ready to buy it... but some reports about the Pro perf. seem worrying.

How can you save in the game? What happens if i put the PS4 in suspense while playing?

Codiox

How bad is the PS4 Pro performance (Tearing)?. This game seems to be all i need to loose 500hours of my free time and i'm ready to buy it... but some reports about the Pro perf. seem worrying.

How can you save in the game? What happens if i put the PS4 in suspense while playing?

The tearing problem got patched on monday i think. Playing on PS4 Pro and have no tearing anymore, really good IQ. The framerate is somewhat unlocked i think? it goes from 30 to 60 to in between? I Think it runs really well, what kind of destroys the immersion is that it loads in form of stopping the picture when you reach certain points in the game.
(If we ever get a PSVR version of the game that would be glorious)

When you quit the game it saves, and it seems you will start right where you left.

Dont know about supsense mode though.

Tearing is gone, they patched it.

I've not flown an Eagle recently so this is pure theorycraft, but maybe something like this

I'm assuming no engineering and no enhanced thrusters from the engineer Prof. Palin. (the enhanced thrusters allow some very fast but very weak builds).

I'd recommend using multicannon since they don't drain your WEP energy as fast as lasers. This means you can put more pips to ENG and maintain your manoeuvrability.

I've gone with bi-weave shields since they are cheaper than class As. Your shields are trash in an Eagle, but bi-weaves will ensure the shields can recharge quickly when they go down. On the other hand, bi-weaves need a lot of SYS pips to make use of their fast recharge rate, so a class-A shield might be better if you want to keep max power to engines.

My theorycraft fighting technique in an Eagle would be to boost past your opponent then blue-zone the throttle with 4 pips to ENG and out turn your enemy. You should be able to get some shots in before they can complete their turn, at which point you boost past them again. This assumes you're attacking a Cobra, Asp, Adder or some other less nimble ship. I'd avoid fighting Vipers since they can manoeuvre about as fast as you and have a lot more firepower.
Don't attack big ships with turrets (unless they're nearly dead from fighting police-ships). And use the chaff when under fire from gimballed weapons.

Vorheez

To scan a planet you just target it, point towards it and it will start scanning once you get within range (the smaller the planet the closer you have to get).
If you have a detailed surface scanner, you get more details about the planet (and more money).
It's pretty boring, which is why a lot of explorers are pressuring Frontier to improve the exploration mechanics in the v3.0 updates.

Fuel scooping just requires you to fly close to a O, B, A, F, G, K or M class star (the class is given in the system map, star map and as a message when you initiate your jump)

Having a good power plant means you can get closer to a star without overheating. And some ships run hotter than others. Most of the time you are safe just flying slowly towards the star until the scoop rate maxes out, then come to a full stop and wait. Just keep an eye on the temperature gauge, especially around hotter stars.
Excellent. Thanks for all the great information. I've heard that the exploration is lacking, but I'm a huge space nerd and I absolutely love the idea of exploring new stars that no one has ever seen before. We will see how long I last though haha.

Another question:

Why does my acceleration slow after using my FSD, even if I'm hammering on the throttle? It doesn't seem to want to respond, as if I'm not pressing it at all, like the engine is slowing the ship down.

Donos

The tearing problem got patched on monday i think. Playing on PS4 Pro and have no tearing anymore, really good IQ. The framerate is somewhat unlocked i think? it goes from 30 to 60 to in between? I Think it runs really well, what kind of destroys the immersion is that it loads in form of stopping the picture when you reach certain points in the game.
(If we ever get a PSVR version of the game that would be glorious)

When you quit the game it saves, and it seems you will start right where you left.

Dont know about supsense mode though.

Tearing is gone, they patched it.

Good to hear. Oh god, nothing more from stopping me of buying this. Little scared that this will devour all my gaming time (+reading up on wikis and youtube vids).

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Man, I love the fragment cannons. Nothing beats whittling down an enemy's shields with the pulse lasers, closing in to unload both barrels and watching the chunks come off his health. Bounty hunting is more fun than I thought.

I named my Viper the Shotgun Boogie for precisely this reason. Also because I've started on a theme: my courier/minibus Adder is the Wild Goose. Two points to whoever guesses what I'm going to call my mining ship once I've got it.

(also, there's nothing like a police scanner module is there? I wish there were a way to find wanted dudes without hanging out at nav beacons or flying around trawling for signals)

Top Bottom