• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

trust me I read like 20 threads in the last 8 hours trying to get it to work, that is why my flying got so much better. I had to land on the planet like 50 times to try the scanner and yes I tried every thing they posted

turret mode was already something I knew I had to do before I found out I was glitched
You did target the scan point first, right? I know it sounds silly, but I spent 5 minutes confused in the SRV wondering why it wouldn't scan it and that was the problem.

Burny

how do you transfer cargo from one ship to another ship?

Between you and another player/NPC controlled ship in normal flight? Drop the cargo (no more than 100 pieces at a time because anything beyond will despawn iirc) and the other has to gobble up. Either by means of manually cargo hatching all the stuff or by means of collector limpets.

Between your own ships? There is no cargo storage function and you can only have what fits in your current ship. You can only transfer by changing to a ship with at least equal cargo capacity. The new ship will autmatically have all the cargo transferred to it. Otherwise you'll be prevented from changing the ship and have to get rid of cargo, until the tonnage is equal or lesser than the cargo capacity of your desired ship.

darkwing

Between you and another player/NPC controlled ship in normal flight? Drop the cargo (no more than 100 pieces at a time because anything beyond will despawn iirc) and the other has to gobble up. Either by means of manually cargo hatching all the stuff or by means of collector limpets.

Between your own ships? There is no cargo storage function and you can only have what fits in your current ship. You can only transfer by changing to a ship with at least equal cargo capacity. Otherwise you'll be prevented from changing the ship and have to get rid of cargo, until the tonnage is equal or lesser than the cargo capacity of your desired ship.

yikes not even in stations? was hoping it would be like Eve Online, just store stuff in a station and have the other ship get the cargo like stored modules

Burny

yikes not even in stations? was hoping it would be like Eve Online, just store stuff in a station and have the other ship get the cargo like stored modules

Storage is limited to ships themselves and - since update 2.2 - modules. If you want to have a reason for facepalming really, really hard, go to Frontier's official forums and suggest that the game could benefit from outright sensible quality of life stuff that's already available in Eve online. Edit: Or any other competent online m ultiplayer game, for that matter.

A certain subgroup of people will effectively tell you to go stick it and play Eve. The fun is in the mental gymnastics people come up with to justify what is essentially lack of features or outright poor design.

Hylian7

Is there any kind of updated guide out there for Engineers? I never really got hardcore into it back when it came out, so I am a little lost on where to start and what I have to do.

Crash331

This game looks interesting. Quick question though, if I have a fairly old PC with a mid grade GPU, should I go PC or PS4 Pro? My CPU is an i7-870 from 2010 or so and my GPU is a gtx 970.

Ok, let's say I want to explore for a bit, maybe do some missions like scanning while I'm at it, what modules are necessary?

Class A Frameshift Drive
Class B/A Fuel Scoop
Advanced Discovery Scanner
Detailed Surface Scanner

Optional: SRV if you want to roam on surfaces.
Optional: Auto Field Maintenance Unit for unexpected repairs.

that is all that is required.

Have yall found a ps4 controller preset for pc that perfectly mimics the ps4 controller on the ps4 version? Jumping between controller and keyboard is gonna be a bit annoying in more stressful stages haha. and i mostly wanna be able to lay back and eventually play this on the link too.

I bought the ASP X now and have a question.
When I try to upgrade the frame shift drive, as example, the standard one had a 5E, should I stay now with 5 or would any other number be better?

Peroroncino

Class A Frameshift Drive
Class B/A Fuel Scoop
Advanced Discovery Scanner
Detailed Surface Scanner

Optional: SRV if you want to roam on surfaces.
Optional: Auto Field Maintenance Unit for unexpected repairs.

that is all that is required.

alright, thanks.

btw. I had to deliver 30x water to a specific station, I'm at the station and I can't complete the mission, wth? Water is in my inventory [haulage]. The option just isn't there.

Jijidasu

Quick question:

I just picked the commander pack with horizons included on PS4 using my US PSN account to buy it. This account is linked with my Japanese PSN account that I use as my main account to play games on. The game boots fine, but it is telling me to buy Horizons? I've booted the game up on the US account and it has horizons activated just fine.

I'm seeing mixed reports online saying it's just a bug and will be fixed, or some that you cannot even share horizons over linked accounts but I've never encountered problems like this before with expansions (such as Destiny for example). Does anyone have any other information or a solution?

I'd rather not play on my US account as it is a hassle.

DrBo42

alright, thanks.

btw. I had to deliver 30x water to a specific station, I'm at the station and I can't complete the mission, wth? Water is in my inventory [haulage]. The option just isn't there.
It isn't some nonsense where they wanted the material mined, right? Can't remember if you can't get water from ice rings or not. Anyway you might want to just log out and back in to see if it's some sort of session issue.

DrkSage

Just want to say the risk I took was calculated, but damn am i bad at math.

Decided to do a sight seeing mission that was going on for 600,000 credits. It was a illegal passenger... and it had bounties on his head.

Needles to say got BTFO halfway when I engaged and destroyed one of the bounty hunters and the patrols arrived in the scene.

Peroroncino

It isn't some nonsense where they wanted the material mined, right? Can't remember if you can't get water from ice rings or not. Anyway you might want to just log out and back in to see if it's some sort of session issue.

No, it was a simple courier mission, they provided me with the water and coordinates. I logged out, went solo play, open play, quit the game, jumped to another system and back, nothing, so I abandoned the mission and sold the water to their black market, sucks.

darkwing

No, it was a simple courier mission, they provided me with the water and coordinates. I logged out, went solo play, open play, quit the game, jumped to another system and back, nothing, so I abandoned the mission and sold the water to their black market, sucks.

did you check if you had enough space to accept their material rewards if they gave any

Volimar

My FDL is A rated now.

Time to decide if I want to bother with this Engineer material grind. :/

If you want to PVP it definitely helps. If you just want PvE play, you can slog through without it, but I'd at least try to engineer your FSD for better jump ranges.

Kyoufu

If you want to PVP it definitely helps. If you just want PvE play, you can slog through without it, but I'd at least try to engineer your FSD for better jump ranges.

FSD range even when fully modded on an FDL makes me sad. :(

I really want to get the shield and the shield boosters modded for added survivability but that material grind... it's daunting.

This game looks interesting. Quick question though, if I have a fairly old PC with a mid grade GPU, should I go PC or PS4 Pro? My CPU is an i7-870 from 2010 or so and my GPU is a gtx 970.

Nah, get the PC version. I have a similar PC. i7-920 and a gtx 980.

In space, I get +144fps (I have a 144hz monitor).
In stations, I get +80fps.
On planets, it fluctuates the most, but it's still +60fps.

Listonosh

I listened to this in the car, but one thing I might have missed (I'll go watch again later): Do engineers only require materials that can go in the inventory or not? I was never really clear on that. Based on talk I have seen here, there are some mats that go in cargo, but I am unsure.

Yeah this is something I'm unsure about as well. I scooped up some cargo, and figured I'd sell it, but it wasn't under my cargo inventory, so I assumed that was material that was directly tied to Engineers. So does that mean there is infinite space for those kinds of items?

Kyoufu

Yeah this is something I'm unsure about as well. I scooped up some cargo, and figured I'd sell it, but it wasn't under my cargo inventory, so I assumed that was material that was directly tied to Engineers. So does that mean there is infinite space for those kinds of items?

Nope, it displays your inventory size. 1000 for materials and I think 600 for scan data.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Why does my acceleration slow after using my FSD, even if I'm hammering on the throttle? It doesn't seem to want to respond, as if I'm not pressing it at all, like the engine is slowing the ship down.

Not sure if anyone's answered this yet, but from what I understand, you're probably slowing down due to approaching a large body (e.g. a planet).

Even if you have throttle at max, you'll naturally slow down when you hit the gravity well of such a body, and your max speed will decrease until you distance yourself from it. You can actually leverage this for more efficient landings if you practice, as you can come in pretty hot, then use the gravity well to put the brakes on and position yourself nicely between the planet and the station it's orbiting. (The entrance almost always faces towards the surface.)

Be careful not to get over-zealous, though, as if you're coming in too hot at the wrong angle, you'll either overshoot your target, or your ship will emergency drop you out of FSD to stop you ploughing into the planet at warp speed.

Do any science types know (theoretically) what would happen if you were to keep going, and fly into a planet at several times the speed of light?

Yes, but if you sell ship with modules, you sell modules for 10% lower (like the ship), if nothing has changed since winter. When you sell modules separately, you sell them for full price.

Thanks for the clarification!

Hylian7

I started picking up materials today when RES farming...I didn't remember cargo scooping being that much of a chore, but maybe it's because they are smaller than the barrels.

I think it's time to invest in Collector Limpets.

No one one answered the question about if I lose rank = RP with the mission giver if I abandon it or time runs out.

It is 1:22 AM just woke up so I am about to turn on the PS4 and try again for 6-8 hours

You did target the scan point first, right? I know it sounds silly, but I spent 5 minutes confused in the SRV wondering why it wouldn't scan it and that was the problem.

that is not silly at at. I know you are trying to help and I really hope this is my error, On my Sidewinder I have 2 types of scanners one that just works when I press the button without having to lock on anything and the other has the same name as the SRV on Data Link Scanner

DEG9ecHWsAANrK0.jpg

So while flying if I deploy them. I can use the Basic Discovery Scanner and it has a little red bar under the name that slowly becomes blue as you press the button
DEHAUY0W0AAXAZH.jpg

would not allow me to capture a photo while the trigger was being pressed so I can't take a pic of the D SCANNER showing half blue half red while scanning

I press the other button for DATA Link Scanner it also has a nice red bar and nothing happens

so someone please walk me through proper Locking and Scanning I just failed one mission and have 2 hours before time runs out on another

I'll take a video of me on the SRV going to the place I have to scan in an hour or so maybe you guys can see what I might be doing wrong

thanks CMDRs

I totally forgot about “pirate” players. I spent an hour getting out to the CG system and I’m almost there when I get interdicted. I don’t have time for this shit, so I just submit. It’s some dude in a FDL and he just instantly starts attacking. I just boost away and jump. Almost there again and same guy interdicts me again. I just do the same thing. I make it to the station with like 70% hull strength. I mean it’s quite obvious he wasn’t after my cargo since he’s in a FDL that can’t carry anything and he didn’t even bother to scan me. I mean you have nothing better to do than try to blow up haulers in your dedicated combat ship? Maybe next time he’ll get me, probably not.

Volimar

If you're not a fan of pvp don't forget to check out the Mobius group. A private group with PvE focus. So you're safe from other players but not as desperately alone as in solo. It's a huuuuuge group so you'll usually find folks in busy systems. Very friendly bunch.

https://elitepve.com/

No one one answered the question about if I lose rank = RP with the mission giver if I abandon it or time runs out.

It is 1:22 AM just woke up so I am about to turn on the PS4 and try again for 6-8 hours

that is not silly at at. I know you are trying to help and I really hope this is my error, On my Sidewinder I have 2 types of scanners one that just works when I press the button without having to lock on anything and the other has the same name as the SRV on Data Link Scanner

So while flying if I deploy them. I can use the Basic Discovery Scanner and it has a little red bar under the name that slowly becomes blue as you press the button

would not allow me to capture a photo while the trigger was being pressed so I can't take a pic of the D SCANNER showing half blue half red while scanning

I press the other button for DATA Link Scanner it also has a nice red bar and nothing happens

so someone please walk me through proper Locking and Scanning I just failed one mission and have 2 hours before time runs out on another

I'll take a video of me on the SRV going to the place I have to scan in an hour or so maybe you guys can see what I might be doing wrong

thanks CMDRs

Hmm these are for surface missions right? Data link scanner in the ship is for scan-able points in space like with some megaships have them.

Now when you are in the SRV, make sure you assign the fire group while in the SRV. The ship data link scanner doesn't transfer to the SRV.

Hylian7

I totally forgot about “pirate” players. I spent an hour getting out to the CG system and I’m almost there when I get interdicted. I don’t have time for this shit, so I just submit. It’s some dude in a FDL and he just instantly starts attacking. I just boost away and jump. Almost there again and same guy interdicts me again. I just do the same thing. I make it to the station with like 70% hull strength. I mean it’s quite obvious he wasn’t after my cargo since he’s in a FDL that can’t carry anything and he didn’t even bother to scan me. I mean you have nothing better to do than try to blow up haulers in your dedicated combat ship? Maybe next time he’ll get me, probably not.
Are you a aligned with a power in powerplay? Maybe he wanted to kill you for merits.

Other than that, based on your description, I don't see a logical reason for him to want to kill you other than him having fun/being a dick.

I won't lie, one week over a year ago I went to an enemy power system and interdicted and killed tons of ships with my FDL, both player and AI. With the player ones I generally left alone anything bigger than a Viper. I wanted quantity, not quality. In that situation though, I had a reason to kill the players other than just random murder because "fuck you"

Are you a aligned with a power in powerplay? Maybe he wanted to kill you for merits.

Other than that, based on your description, I don't see a logical reason for him to want to kill you other than him having fun/being a dick.

I won't lie, one week over a year ago I went to an enemy power system and interdicted and killed tons of ships with my FDL, both player and AI. With the player ones I generally left alone anything bigger than a Viper. I wanted quantity, not quality. In that situation though, I had a reason to kill the players other than just random murder because "fuck you"

Nah, I don't bother with PP. People also put the system in lockdown too. Some people just like being dicks.

Hmm these are for surface missions right? Data link scanner in the ship is for scan-able points in space like with some megaships have them.

Now when you are in the SRV, make sure you assign the fire group while in the SRV. The ship data link scanner doesn't transfer to the SRV.

I am uploading a video now from my latest attempt

I am blind in my right eye maybe I am missing some of the text that pops up on the right side of the screen. Yes surface missions, I am also being rushed because the base is private and I am trespassing

maybe it is my eyes and being rushed making me feel I am not getting it done

So when the video is up please someone tell me if I had my Fire Group and Torrett Mode, and Locking done correctly please point out if I missed something on the screen because of my vision

I want to be able to do these missions, that one trip is 450,000CR I am losing out on and as I get my RP up I could make a lot more per trip.

PS4 totally ignored my video clip have to go redo the mission the try and capture it again not sure what is wrong with this new share system

Edit: Ah never mind I don't have enough credits to even pay rebuy cost for my ship going to go do something else for the next few days

Edit2: Ok 72 Jumps without insurance let's see if this won't end tragically lol

Burny

Edit2: Ok 72 Jumps without insurance let's see if this won't end tragically lol

Unless the reason is that you've lost all your credits on rebuys already, you'll only have yourself to blame. ;-)

That's one thing which got lamented very, very often in the games's early days: player buys shiny new ship without credits to spare, wrecks it or gets wrecked, goes to the forum and cries. As much flak as I give Frontier for incompetent game design, this one is on the player. There is near zero risk in the game, unless you provoke it. And all you lose if things go wrong, is time. Which can hurt quiet a lot, actually, hence the constant squabble in the community about piracy, unwanted PvP and griefing.

Unless the reason is that you've lost all your credits on rebuys already, you'll only have yourself to blame. ;-)

That's one thing which got lamented very, very often in the games's early days: player buys shiny new ship without credits to spare, wrecks it or gets wrecked, goes to the forum and cries. As much flak as I give Frontier for incompetent game design, this one is on the player. There is near zero risk in the game, unless you provoke it. And all you lose if things go wrong, is time. Which can hurt quiet a lot, actually, hence the constant squabble in the community about piracy, unwanted PvP and griefing.

yeah the game just froze on me with 52 jumps left so looks like I have to start over from nothing

I am not saying that it was the smartest move to jump 72 without out it, but the game crashing is not the situation I was hoping to take the blame for lol

Edit: still alive at the last place I froze at I think... MUHAHAHAHA I LEARNED NOTHING! :p

Burny

yeah the game just froze on me with 52 jumps left so looks like I have to start over from nothing

When you log in again, you should spawn in normal flight in the system where you were registered last. Don't give up, yet!

Edit: Would've been surprised, because disconnects don't normally lead to distruction.

Edit: still alive at the last place I froze at I think... MUHAHAHAHA I LEARNED NOTHING! :p

When you log in again, you should spawn in normal flight in the system where you were registered last. Don't give up, yet!

Edit: Would've been surprised, because disconnects don't normally lead to distruction.

I need to play safer can you save in the middle of no where?

I won't see a base for a while

I won't be running out of fuel at least

Checked out the Road to Riches web app for exploration. Made 9 million credits after scanning 10 systems. Got to Trailblazer rank from that lol. Going to do more this week for more easy credits and I'll use the data to get Felicity Farseer ranked up too.

It's here in case anyone else wants to make money from exploration: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6foccy/road_to_riches_improved/

Doesn't that defeat the point of exploration if you're following someone else's very specific guide on a very specific route that they've already fully charted..? =P

Though it is nice to see how awesome this community is at creating and sharing resources to help others players get a good start in the game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I need to play safer can you save in the middle of no where?

I won't see a base for a while

I won't be running out of fuel at least

It saves pretty regularly, and yes you can save and quit in the middle of nowhere.
You'll still be there when you log back in, give or take a few mega metres ;)

Are you playing in Solo mode? That would make sense if you want to play safer in general.

I've also found I have fewer hangs/disconnects in Solo mode.
It's a shame, but it might provide a smoother play experience until they give the PS4 servers a boost.

Top Bottom